PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Yeah I think this was the magnus opus of the 7th generation of consoles for PES like PES 5 was for the 6th.

Presentation, content, gameplay and animations... This game had it all. I always maintained that they should've used PES 2013's engine for 2014 then debuted FOX Engine on PES 2015 instead of rushing and botching the real PES 2014 the way they did.

PES 2013 is a great game. So much fun and when it's all said and done, it is my favorite out of 2011-2016. Personally, I don't feel like it feels dated, in actuality it is refreshing to play as it is a nice blend of the retro and the modern!

My experience with PES 2013 started off a bit rocky because I started playing it with a patch which heavily altered the gameplay. But when I discovered the latest .exe and DLC's with PESEdit patch (and also with smoke patch), I realized that this was the way you were supposed to play the game, and I ended up loving it! I find it challenging, love the arcade aspects of it, and is very very well supported by the community, with tons of mods and patches! Brilliant game. :TU:

Last edited:
I got inspired by this conversation and recorded another CPU v CPU match with some nice mods! Something about this game just looks so authentic at times.

What it lacks in ball physics (this was the last of the "ball on a string" games), it makes up for in 1) "Player ID" (on and off the ball, it's pretty special, with dribblers dribbling and non-dribblers rarely dribbling for example) and 2) attribute importance (whether your player or the AI player, if you don't have the attributes to make a very technical pass, you will just give the ball away - which I adore, it makes me feel like I'm playing Football Manager).

My "Become a Legend" save on 2013 fills me with joy. I tried one on 2015 and 2016 (and 2021), but you can see just how much more simplified matches are. Very little build-up, very high pass accuracy and lots of back-and-forth. Whereas on 2013, you have to wait for your opportunities, and if you achieve something, it's an incredible feeling - not just because chances don't come along often, but because you can't do things without training your attributes up.

I got inspired by this conversation and recorded another CPU v CPU match with some nice mods! Something about this game just looks so authentic at times.

Now you make me wanna play some when I get home. What I love about this is as Chris mentioned too, The player ID. You see so much lifelike behavior from the COM, flair players dribbling and taking on players, Long range shots from midfielders, and slide tackles from defenders and keepers that actually come off their line early.

Just like FIFA 16, This game covered so many fundamentals smoothly on "inferior" tech you wonder why even bother moving onto a new engine for the sake of it.

Of course, the trade-off for nicer visuals that lose their appeal after a while is a regression in gameplay & replayability.

What it lacks in ball physics (this was the last of the "ball on a string" games), it makes up for in 1) "Player ID" (on and off the ball, it's pretty special, with dribblers dribbling and non-dribblers rarely dribbling for example) and 2) attribute importance (whether your player or the AI player, if you don't have the attributes to make a very technical pass, you will just give the ball away - which I adore, it makes me feel like I'm playing Football Manager).
You got it!
it is a vitally important aspect that makes every game credible.
I was thrilled to face Galatasaray and to have to carefully guard Drogba and Sneijder, precisely because they are the two most dangerous players.
The tallest player will head the ball, the fastest will reach it first.
They seem like trivial details, but we know very well that all of this has been inexplicably lost

Anyway, I play pesedit patch related to the original seasons, with minimum assists, no power bar and match duration of 15 minutes, 10 lead me to play in a frenetic way and I don't exploit the potential of the game.
With these settings I really enjoy a lot.

Yeah I think this was the magnus opus of the 7th generation of consoles for PES like PES 5 was for the 6th.

Presentation, content, gameplay and animations... This game had it all. I always maintained that they should've used PES 2013's engine for 2014 then debuted FOX Engine on PES 2015 instead of rushing and botching the real PES 2014 the way they did.
Spot on. The presentation and animations have moments that feel so organic at times. If some of the turning animations were more fluid it would really bring it all together.

Spot on. The presentation and animations have moments that feel so organic at times. If some of the turning animations were more fluid it would really bring it all together.
I played a couple of games last night for the first time in months, Damn it feels so fresh yet so nostalgic. I feel like a 22-year-old all over again when I see the sights and sounds of this game.

I had a beaming smile over my face when I saw things in this game that look so natural and believable, The players don't really have that "bot" feeling you get in more recent football games where they don't feel lifelike in terms of decision-making or movement. In PES 2013, it feels like you're playing against another human.

Loved PES 2013, until i got tired of the cpu constantly going forward, im talking about the XBOX 360/ps3 version, but id love to play this modded on PC but i guess its impossible to get hold of it now right?

This one never clicked to me. Non stop counterattacking and the flow always back and forth all the time - it's so obvious when looking at these videos again, even appreciating good sides of the game at the same time.

The main problem, IMO, is that the CPU always plays counter-attacking, I finish all my games with 60% possession.

This one never clicked to me. Non stop counterattacking and the flow always back and forth all the time - it's so obvious when looking at these videos again, even appreciating good sides of the game at the same time.
PES 2013 does have a bit of a bias to attacking football, You might enjoy PES 2012 more which is a more conservative game in terms of pace and franticality.

It's undeniable that the general imprint is the one you describe. However, it can be limited by playing with less conventional settings (if you want I can write you mine).

We won't get to have the midifield battle that reigns in our beloved pes 5, but the situation can be improved.
And then the cpu has moments of such lucidity, that it ends up satisfying me always and in any case.
Yesterday I faced Arjen Robben and he made his signature play, which I don't even need to describe because the whole world knows about it :D

Truly a great game. I think the real problem with the CPU when you are in possession is that even if you put the aggression to max in the tactics slider, it rarely mirrors it with the appropriate field behaviour. The sad thing is that in the 6-7 ML seasons I played some years ago, I clearly remember sometimes "real" aggression was triggered by some internal factor during a part of the match and you'd see some beautiful midfield action too.. but it was really random and kinda episodic.

Anyway, I think at 1.04 (the version with which I played ML) game is really solid and when CPU does have the ball I've seen beautiful things. As said above, the player id is incredible, I still have memories of how real it felt to play against a Juventus transferred Messi when I've faced him in that run, I've even saved a small clip of a very "Messi" play he did among many others in that match:

Last edited:
What I don't like about this PES is that when you want to do an placed shot (R2 + Square) there's only a single animation in the whole game, and it is a ugly one, not to mention that the curve the ball does is very weird. And it makes me mad because just before in PES 2011 they had nailed it, in that game every time i tried an placed shot it looked like an different animation would come in, and they all looked realistic to me.

On a side note, i really miss how goal celebrations were in all PES prior to 2014, they looked so natural when compared to the modern ones. I really hate the "control the celebration" feature of modern football games, I always get stuck in another player or inside the opponent goal and then make the moment that should looks epic looks like an comedy show.

Is there a mod or edit tool to make teams play more like they do IRL?
you know Barca being barca.
This is an open question to all

Hey bro! Sometimes I like to use this gameplay mod: mega download link here

Even though I really like the original PES 2013 gameplay (with latest exe and DLC), I've noticed that this gameplay does make the game a bit more possession based and changes a bit of ball physics. It's my favorite out of all the PES 2013 gameplay mods I've tried. Credits of course to go to the youtube channel "Karyawan Konamie" :TU:

https://www.youtube.com/@KARYAWANKONAMIE

Last edited:
I started a ML outside my main one on PES 14, decided on Rayo in La Liga (datapack 6 ver 1.04 no patches)
Its a very good game (as we all know) but cant help to feel annoyed over a few things (small issues tbh)
Not really any speed bursts, im use to 14 where i can get the defenders on their heels witha dribble then burst past them.
Feels and looks way older than it really should, doesnt it?

still a very good game, one of the best in my opinion.

Does anyone play with full manual settings?
I started few days ago, it's difficult but absolutely amazing.

It's undeniable that the general imprint is the one you describe. However, it can be limited by playing with less conventional settings (if you want I can write you mine).

We won't get to have the midifield battle that reigns in our beloved pes 5, but the situation can be improved.
And then the cpu has moments of such lucidity, that it ends up satisfying me always and in any case.
Yesterday I faced Arjen Robben and he made his signature play, which I don't even need to describe because the whole world knows about it :D
What are your settings?

This game grows on me (again)
Since defending is a nightmare for me on this i tried playing with a fixed cursor so 21/22 is cpu controlled and it really shined.
Cpu teammates and cpu opposition really slowed the game down and started to dribble a lot more than ive seen before.
Not sure thats how i want to play it going fw but it really played differently

Does anyone play with full manual settings?
I started few days ago, it's difficult but absolutely amazing.
Started with manual shooting by mistake, but im playing PA0 (with basic shooting) on PES 13 and PES 14 and its so much fun, especially how different it is vs PA 1-3.
Ive always preferred that setup, sometimes with manual shooting as well, if you do you can always drop a difficulty to equal it out, bonus is cpu often plays more life like on Professional

Back
Top Bottom