Middle-Earth -Shadow of Mordor

Re: Middle Earth - The Shadows of Mordor

Best game i've played this year. Gave me a true next gen feeling. the revenge plots are amazing. wonderful play.

And i don't even like LOTR at all.

Best game i've played this year. Gave me a true next gen feeling. the revenge plots are amazing. wonderful play.

And i don't even like LOTR at all.

I haven't seen any LOTR movies or read the books, but this game is indeed brilliant.

Yep, it's a blast. It has its niggles and there are some aspects that could be better, but for a game that is hopefully a first in a series, by a smaller studio, that wasn't marketed as the next greatest thing in gaming, I'm more than willing to not be bothered by its (few) shortcomings.

I really hope this isn't a one-off game.

It really is one of those very rare games that sneaks up and surprises you, most games get hyped to death, I didn't watch any gameplay footage until around E3 so that was what 4-6 months before release? Usually the hype train sets off a good 2 years before release these days so you're actually quite jaded by the time the game arrives (think that was a lot of the issue the gaming scene had with Watch Dogs TBH).

Wish it had stats to see how many Orcs I've done so far. Pretty sure I'm on Sauron's most wanted :P

I've actually stopped hiding for a while now and just jump in their faces and brutalize them :LOL:

Celebrimbor is a beast.

I'm shit at this, any help please?

I'm at the bit to kill warchiefs, got Ratbag promoted.

Been working on health, not runes. Keep dying all the bloody time and it is frustrating.

I'm shit at this, any help please?

I'm at the bit to kill warchiefs, got Ratbag promoted.

Been working on health, not runes. Keep dying all the bloody time and it is frustrating.

Are you using the Captains weakness in your favour? It's much easier to kill them when they are scared. Also you have to use runes and make side questa to gain more powers and upgrades.

I've done a ton of side-quests before doing story. Things were a bit easier then.

Plus what Honomer here said, always try using their weaknesses to your advantage.

The things that are beating me are the massive fights where there are 20-30 orcs, including the ones that chuck spears. i kept getting my combo interrupted.

It's probably me just being crap.

Will focus more on side quests.

One question though - I have only a few runes which don't seem to do that much. I saw a pop up saying you can merge runes to get better or epic ones. How does this work?

Haven't heard of merging at all. Epic ones you get from Captain or Warchief Orcs with higher levels.

As for 20-30 Orcs at once, I'd advise to use the counter (triangle or Y) more often until you get the hang of it, or until you get more abilities where it would get somewhat easier.

Haven't heard of merging at all. Epic ones you get from Captain or Warchief Orcs with higher levels.

As for 20-30 Orcs at once, I'd advise to use the counter (triangle or Y) more often until you get the hang of it, or until you get more abilities where it would get somewhat easier.

Must have mis read it then, cheers.

She's away so will be playing a fair bit of this tonight.

This is how I deal with many orcs at once.

Keep throwing daggers(tap LT or L2 quickly and repeatedly) until hit streak charges.
Perform Wraith Flash (press X+A or Square+X) when hit streak charges.
Kill the stunned orcs one by one easily.
Repeat the process above till I kill them all.

Wow this is great.

Played for a couple of hours and I'm hitting a stumbling block put up through a mix of my own incompetence and the game catching me out.

Some bottom feeder enemy with a crossbow took me out randomly and got promoted. A little later I bump into him again and he has explosive arrows and he wiped the floor with me.
I respawn and right away I see him so I sneak up for a stealth kill.. Only to find he's immune (silly me didn't check the intel) and he kills me again as I'm fighting off a swarm of guys around me.

Later I'm fighting 2 other captains and the little shit comes back and tries it on again but This time I managed to kill him! ... And then got stabbed in the back and died myself.

So I went for some revenge thinking I'll take him out before he becomes as much trouble as crossbow guy did. In the middle of the battle crossbow guy only returns from the dead and kills me again with his explosive rounds. So now he's ranked up higher still and then kills another captain and has moved up a tier.

I think the game has a story mode in there somewhere but I'm happy with the game creating these others for me.

Fantastic.

This is a fantastic game isn't it?

Thinking of keeping it and getting the DLC later.

The bastard took me out again last night.
I decided to do a few story missions to rank up and as I'm doing it it starts doing a mini tutorial about how to use the intel and other things I'd already gathered myself. I end up on a tutorial like mission to take out a captain and as I'm doing it, old crossbow turns up (looking slitly different now, it looks like I've taken his left eye as his face is covered with a metal plate now) and he proceeds to blow us all up with his explosive rounds.

Then as I'm dead it shows the internal battles going on with the captains and he's moved up another tier now. At this point I'm already way more interested in getting revenge on him and defeating him than getting revenge for the actual storyline bad guys. :)

It's a great game. I think I put in close to 50 hours by the end of it. Shanking orcs never got old.

The one element that held this game back for me was how easy it got. I'd put death threats on every orc captain but I rarely was given a challenge, and the nemesis system was hurt for it, because I rarely died.

I'd definitely recommend turning off the combat prompts, as it makes it more challenging and satisfying. If you don't, by the time you unlock your final tier of powers, you'll never walk into a fight worried that you'll die.

It's a great game. I think I put in close to 50 hours by the end of it. Shanking orcs never got old.

The one element that held this game back for me was how easy it got. I'd put death threats on every orc captain but I rarely was given a challenge, and the nemesis system was hurt for it, because I rarely died.

I'd definitely recommend turning off the combat prompts, as it makes it more challenging and satisfying. If you don't, by the time you unlock your final tier of powers, you'll never walk into a fight worried that you'll die.

Try playing without alerts if you really wants a chalenging. Alerts is for noobs!

How Are they going to manage a sequel for this? Presumably that's the plan, with gaming as it is. I can only see it being a sequel based on a completely different licence - Game of Thrones for example. Otherwise I guess it could be a prequel going back as far as the last time Sauron was knocking about.

Yeah, been thinking about that too. After the success with this game and the clout they've earned with the Nemesis system, personally I'd like to see them create an all new franchise from scratch.

Yeah they could easily just make a new fantasy game, maybe based around Vikings or something. id love to see the nemesis system incorporate an online side like dragons dogma but using other friends data to populate the enemies roster.
And add a create a fighter mode like dynasty warriors so we can choose how our guys will look when they invade.

Vikings is a good idea, you can even keep the whole runes / warchief setup pretty easily, combined with mythological monsters. I'd like to see them really nail the Norse atmosphere - none of this Skyrim nonsense, generic American accents with a bit of snow.

Using other player's fighters is a good idea too - or if you were able to, in a Dragon's Dogma fashion, create your own wingman, and give them traits by sending them on missions / having them help you out, then they could become chieftains in someone else's game.

Maybe the tasks you assign them could actually be in someone else's game - send your archer over to someone else's game to snipe at them while they attempt a mission, or send a tracker with a death squad to hunt them down, or maybe a mysterious cloaked figure who dips in and helps them take down a tough enemy, or something like that. You'd have a Dark Souls style mix of those who try to help others or those who hinder.

Last edited:
One thing though: the Orcs stole the show in this game, and I'd hate for them to make a "sequel" without Orcs or something comparable.

Back
Top Bottom