Manchester United Thread

Playing a back 3 with 2 defenders and a DM out of position is pretty unrealistic to me. Last night against Galatasaray they played a back 4 with the same DM played at left back and got tore apart. They need some defensive solidity otherwise any team would just sit back and smash them on the counter
solidity is by possession it is not like not easy to keep the ball between 2 CBs and goalkeeper then we can call it solidity but our problem is loosing the ball or not scoring or taking goals by weird faults this united like this can loose "5 cb vs 3 opponent FW players" situation so it is not normal. That's why transition for example is bad and lot of other things ....

that's the thing. Ten Hag had one year already in the club before summer transfer windows opens, he should know that he can't rely on Antony and 90% of the time injured Martial. yeah good old 442 was not used long time but that system was perfected by Fergie and was working like Guardiola's today system. he brings only the players he want. our problem is system/marketing issue. remember when we spoke above about same profile of players, Antony for example is player who work good in Ten Hag's phylosophy but it is not good enough for Premier League. that's why I mentioned that there are not same profile of players, imagine instead of Antony we had Bernardo Silva. I guess we finally understand each other :)

the needs of the position itself is what make the profile of player let's say a CM with weak defensive skills or a ST that not so fast all of these could kill many talented persons but their focus on other things that let them exist it is not always the coach choice to give them the chance. Any player should know himself this what i'm talking about as profile so it is not the player skills it is like in where he can perform the best and the more the player perform the best he will be opened for other things to do or to improve so automatically it is a level thing so let's put mount at "fast short passing situations with possibility of some long ones" its like he can build so we will see things like that Modric did at Madrid if not it will be the same and he need to work more on accuracy and instinct decisions like turning with ball or moving forward with ball to break the opponent 10 man defending ....
Okay mate i will put you at my place, here is my vision here as a football follower
Position : ST
Job : Scoring goals
Requirements : "Finishing" + "Good positioning and Good reading"
Skills that make the profiles : Quantity and Quality of goals
So here we are talking about both of them let's start with examples :
That time : Ruud van Nistelrooy/Filippo Inzaghi. (Full Strikers)
This time : Karim Benzema/ Zlatan Ibrahimovic
now if Ruud could be right here at this time he will looks more like Zlatan as the requirements above
but he can be Benzema too
So where the skills as "Quality" it means the player himself his tools to perform and adapt to the "Position" and "Job"
This means we have 2 things any person can see about them : Acrobatic Finish (include even a simple one touch goal)/ Long Range goals (compared to how many times they took chance to do it to know the accuaracy between number of tries andgoals)
So after all of this the best is Ruud van Nistelrooy, this time best is Zlatan Ibrahimovic .
Benzema out of list because of tactics things (but he can be the best as special striker), Inzaghi too because most of his goals could be offside but he has the requirements and can represent many strikers nowadays .
Finally, the last thing is the PACE and the 2 best ones here are Ruud van Nistelrooy and Benzema with possibilities of rising ones like Erling Haaland, Darwin etc... Ruud van Nistelrooy is the profile .
BTW you can apply this thing when it comes to Mbappe CF/Depay CF/Rashford CF/Martial CF but who is the profile here ? and for the first ones you can add others like Henry/Batistuta/Berbatov etc ...
So i hope that you right now understand me and maybe like what i told or not

Okay mate i will put you at my place, here is my vision here as a football follower
Position : ST
Job : Scoring goals
Requirements : "Finishing" + "Good positioning and Good reading"
Skills that make the profiles : Quantity and Quality of goals
So here we are talking about both of them let's start with examples :
That time : Ruud van Nistelrooy/Filippo Inzaghi. (Full Strikers)
This time : Karim Benzema/ Zlatan Ibrahimovic
now if Ruud could be right here at this time he will looks more like Zlatan as the requirements above
but he can be Benzema too
So where the skills as "Quality" it means the player himself his tools to perform and adapt to the "Position" and "Job"
This means we have 2 things any person can see about them : Acrobatic Finish (include even a simple one touch goal)/ Long Range goals (compared to how many times they took chance to do it to know the accuaracy between number of tries andgoals)
So after all of this the best is Ruud van Nistelrooy, this time best is Zlatan Ibrahimovic .
Benzema out of list because of tactics things (but he can be the best as special striker), Inzaghi too because most of his goals could be offside but he has the requirements and can represent many strikers nowadays .
Finally, the last thing is the PACE and the 2 best ones here are Ruud van Nistelrooy and Benzema with possibilities of rising ones like Erling Haaland, Darwin etc... Ruud van Nistelrooy is the profile .
BTW you can apply this thing when it comes to Mbappe CF/Depay CF/Rashford CF/Martial CF but who is the profile here ? and for the first ones you can add others like Henry/Batistuta/Berbatov etc ...
So i hope that you right now understand me and maybe like what i told or not
first of all, everything you write is spot on! the issue with today's football is that football is more physical and less technical like the era you spoke above (I enjoyed that era much more than today's). In the past I guess all of the strikers no matter if they played ST, CF or even SS can easily answer to request of the manager today becouse like I said they were more technical players and had better football knowing than today players who are more physical and can only respond to one position (most of them) becouse the systems that are played today doesn't allow them to roam like before.
p.s. I don't want to get this conversation into philosophy but it was good exchange of different views :)

first of all, everything you write is spot on! the issue with today's football is that football is more physical and less technical like the era you spoke above (I enjoyed that era much more than today's). In the past I guess all of the strikers no matter if they played ST, CF or even SS can easily answer to request of the manager today becouse like I said they were more technical players and had better football knowing than today players who are more physical and can only respond to one position (most of them) becouse the systems that are played today doesn't allow them to roam like before.
p.s. I don't want to get this conversation into philosophy but it was good exchange of different views :)
You are right but that time term of L/R WF existed only after 2003/2004 so let's say physically not technically Dalot can be RWF but Sané for example or Rashford can't be LB so this is half wrong or half right case i don't want to make it philosophy like you too and it is the best thing ... now let's get back to WF he is not SS he is not ST but he is a forward player cause he is not midfielder here right ? so Roaming is necessary and went deeper into the box other things even this thing are technics to make you unpredictable and being fast to take the right decision is the best thing you now why ? because you meant to do the unexpected not the unpredicted thing and that's it.
Finally, yes me too i know that football is more physical but how these physical players can't perform ? can't evolve ? even the "pro player" mindset is out of its concept and context players think professionally outside the field ... and its not logic right it is like he will implement his phone into the game

Finally, yes me too i know that football is more physical but how these physical players can't perform ? can't evolve ? even the "pro player" mindset is out of its concept and context players think professionally outside the field ... and its not logic right it is like he will implement his phone into the game
I don't want to poison this thread with Barcelona stuff becouse we have bad memories from them :D to answer the question, La Masia is prepairing the players from kids for a position they play today. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Busquets... now Gavi, Ferran Torres and all players known from their academy can play only that position but they perfecting them doesn't mean they are best in the world at that position, they just click in the style Barselona play. other academies have sifferent philosophy but none of them made players that are all rounders like in the past. football is changing constantly and to be back at the point when we started this conversation, we at UTD lack quality for the system we want to play, players are not capable to perform on the pitch what manager is asking them, that's why this fall is happening to us. those are players which Ten Hag requested.

I don't want to poison this thread with Barcelona stuff becouse we have bad memories from them :D to answer the question, La Masia is prepairing the players from kids for a position they play today. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Busquets... now Gavi, Ferran Torres and all players known from their academy can play only that position but they perfecting them doesn't mean they are best in the world at that position, they just click in the style Barselona play. other academies have sifferent philosophy but none of them made players that are all rounders like in the past. football is changing constantly and to be back at the point when we started this conversation, we at UTD lack quality for the system we want to play, players are not capable to perform on the pitch what manager is asking them, that's why this fall is happening to us. those are players which Ten Hag requested.
Okay so fast then, let's take Depay he is Halilovic its the same thing Kaka too and that Barca it meant to be for La Liga not even for winning CL even their president could tell that they want the local domination

Must win game today!
I shall return later and rejoice. Im sure of it. I mean it’s only Brentford. What could possibly go wrong? 😂

Must win game today!
I shall return later and rejoice. Im sure of it. I mean it’s only Brentford. What could possibly go wrong? 😂
winning 2-0 will be bad let them score no problem but we need to score more and gain trust i will say 4-1 for united can happen if they deserve the red shirt ofc

winning 2-0 will be bad let them score no problem but we need to score more and gain trust i will say 4-1 for united can happen if they deserve the red shirt ofc
I’m more inclined to think it’s going to be 1-4 in Brentford’s favour but let’s hope you’re correct. Any win is acceptable under the current circumstances

OMG what a game. I though even if the game lasted 180 min we wouldn't score! But thank god Scottie did for us 😎
Casemiro fail
Lindeloff fail
Onana fail
All in one move lol

First time I’ve seen Onana make a couple of good saves in a match though towards the end so I’ll give credit for that.

Let’s face it we were equally as bad in attack as we were in defence. Højlund at least put in a lot of effort though so there’s that. I don’t know what to say about the rest of the team.
Aside from Mctominay saving the day I thought the inclusion of Martial made an immediate impact. Not because he was good but because it shifted the shape into having two strikers which massively improved the team and allowed Mctominay to get those goals. I’m extremely happy with the win but there needs to be a drastic overhaul in formation for me.

Casemiro fail
Lindeloff fail
Onana fail
All in one move lol

First time I’ve seen Onana make a couple of good saves in a match though towards the end so I’ll give credit for that.

Let’s face it we were equally as bad in attack as we were in defence. Højlund at least put in a lot of effort though so there’s that. I don’t know what to say about the rest of the team.
Aside from Mctominay saving the day I thought the inclusion of Martial made an immediate impact. Not because he was good but because it shifted the shape into having two strikers which massively improved the team and allowed Mctominay to get those goals. I’m extremely happy with the win but there needs to be a drastic overhaul in formation for me.
I was thinking while watching the game and from the players we have at the moment I will made one experiment which I think will work at least in attack so we can score more goals. For me Antony is useless on the right side, he is fast and explosive, he is good one on one but when he should complete all the stuff on the side and cross he screws all the time. I will play him in the middle just behind Hojlund so he can have that little space when he can do his magic and maybe score, but on this position he will open huge space for Hojlund.
On the right side Pelistri who show signs of eager to play and fight.
On the left side Garnacho instead of Rashford. His role will be not stay wide and ask one on one situations but make runs to the inside and open space for the LB to attack.
Bruno as CM and Casemiro/McTomminay as DM.
Our defence is what it is, there's not much we can do until January.
And for Onana, those saves at the end were not difficult to be honest. I will bench him for one or two games just to remind him that he needs to work hars all the time.
I hope this win will sparkle things up but sadly the timing is bad becouse of the international games.
I hope for the best!

I was thinking while watching the game and from the players we have at the moment I will made one experiment which I think will work at least in attack so we can score more goals. For me Antony is useless on the right side, he is fast and explosive, he is good one on one but when he should complete all the stuff on the side and cross he screws all the time. I will play him in the middle just behind Hojlund so he can have that little space when he can do his magic and maybe score, but on this position he will open huge space for Hojlund.
On the right side Pelistri who show signs of eager to play and fight.
On the left side Garnacho instead of Rashford. His role will be not stay wide and ask one on one situations but make runs to the inside and open space for the LB to attack.
Bruno as CM and Casemiro/McTomminay as DM.
Our defence is what it is, there's not much we can do until January.
And for Onana, those saves at the end were not difficult to be honest. I will bench him for one or two games just to remind him that he needs to work hars all the time.
I hope this win will sparkle things up but sadly the timing is bad becouse of the international games.
I hope for the best!
Something like this then?
I think a flat 2 in centre midfield would be better otherwise we’d be wasting Casemiro and Mctominay’s eye for goal. However if Casemiro/Mctominay did go forward to try and score that means Bruno would have to provide defensive cover which I don’t think would go well.
Having said that, it would definitely be worth a try. I’d be happy we tried anything different in formation at this point.
As far as Antony goes though, he may or may not be playing for us depending on the ongoing police investigation.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.png
    IMG_0050.png
    262 KB · Views: 9
Something like this then?
I think a flat 2 in centre midfield would be better otherwise we’d be wasting Casemiro and Mctominay’s eye for goal. However if Casemiro/Mctominay did go forward to try and score that means Bruno would have to provide defensive cover which I don’t think would go well.
Having said that, it would definitely be worth a try. I’d be happy we tried anything different in formation at this point.
As far as Antony goes though, he may or may not be playing for us depending on the ongoing police investigation.
more like this, so Garnacho will be overlaped by Dalot and on right side we will not be doing overlaps becouse Lindelof can't do that stuff but Pelistri will be more agressive on that side.

Attachments

• lineup.png
    lineup.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 9
Yeh that would work. I’d put Garnacho wider though. It’s a bit narrow.
I put him narrower becouse on that side Dalot can push forward and they can overlap and cause more trouble. On the other side Pelistri is alone but that side is stronger on defence becouse CB is playing at the RB and he doesn't push forward as Dalot.

I put him narrower becouse on that side Dalot can push forward and they can overlap and cause more trouble. On the other side Pelistri is alone but that side is stronger on defence becouse CB is playing at the RB and he doesn't push forward as Dalot.
Garnacho is at his best when cutting inside, as in Antony. They would end up grouped in the middle unless Antony goes wide but that defeats the purpose of where you want to play him. Only my opinion of course.

Garnacho is at his best when cutting inside, as in Antony. They would end up grouped in the middle unless Antony goes wide but that defeats the purpose of where you want to play him. Only my opinion of course.
that's the idea with Garnacho. that way 3/4 players will always be behind opponent goal which is ok. other players will stay back so they can soak counter attacks.

that's the idea with Garnacho. that way 3/4 players will always be behind opponent goal which is ok. other players will stay back so they can soak counter attacks.
Ok I see.
I’m not sure whether you know about Diallo since we sent him out on loan last season to Sunderland in lower league but he got 14 goals for them with a pass completion rate of 86%. He’s only 21 too so he’s a very promising player. I would imagine you will see him get chances for the first team this season.

Ok I see.
I’m not sure whether you know about Diallo since we sent him out on loan last season to Sunderland in lower league but he got 14 goals for them with a pass completion rate of 86%. He’s only 21 too so he’s a very promising player. I would imagine you will see him get chances for the first team this season.
yeah I know. also I think this is right time for Donny van De Beek to get a proper chance after misery he lives since he came.

For me, united big problem is the maintain possession problem in one example we took the ball and before positions will be like below most of time we loose it .
tactical-board.com (2).png

Then if we manage to keep it it will be like this
tactical-board.com (3).png

Then we go to the rashford "DEAD ZONE"
tactical-board.com (4).png

So at least to make Rashford zone work a little bit better players must stand like below and do the things like any team
tactical-board.com (5).png

For me, united big problem is the maintain possession problem in one example we took the ball and before positions will be like below most of time we loose it .

Then if we manage to keep it it will be like this

Then we go to the rashford "DEAD ZONE"

So at least to make Rashford zone work a little bit better players must stand like below and do the things like any team
and now for united its clear they are weak with triangles fast passing and every player play like the whole team lean on him only for let the opponent player with him so we will never see i think at least that player that search for a space and ask for ball to do a key pass that can turn into assist for a goal.
These are the basics and what to do every time i know that we can take the ball to the opposite side or someone dribble but that is a little bit optional for now and tbh they have their time it is 90 min you can't risk it wait for a lucky thing to happen like always or let's say a thing that can happen only one time in a game .....

and now for united its clear they are weak with triangles fast passing and every player play like the whole team lean on him only for let the opponent player with him so we will never see i think at least that player that search for a space and ask for ball to do a key pass that can turn into assist for a goal.
These are the basics and what to do every time i know that we can take the ball to the opposite side or someone dribble but that is a little bit optional for now and tbh they have their time it is 90 min you can't risk it wait for a lucky thing to happen like always or let's say a thing that can happen only one time in a game .....
Possession football is:
1. Boring to watch
2. We are bad at it

Our defence is too weak to play counter attack so we need to start playing direct football. Instead of trying to dribble the wing and ultimately hitting a brick wall we need to utilise a LOT more crosses into the box to take advantage of Hojlund’s size and killer instinct for goal.

and we are done... I can't stomach what is happening with our club and the end of this takeover saga 🤮
Sheikh Jassim offered higher than the clubs worth. The glazers clearly never wanted to loose the club. It was a ploy for investment. How sad 😞
Looks like Ratcliffe will take 25% of the club which means absolutely nothing going forward other than the Glazers offsetting some of the debt over to Ratcliffe. Long term we are still f*****

So here’s the supposed plan if Ratcliffe completes a claim to a 25% minority stake at the club:

Ratcliffe and INEOS to control football operation

On-field performance priority over stadium revamp

Plan to divide commercial and sports sides of business

It’s all sounding really great. Especially the control of football operation. Maybe this will help us become 25% successful 😒

Man Utd needs serious investment and new ownership.

Ratcliffe buying 25% means the Glaziers are still in charge and will spend the £2B investment on parties in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom