Manchester United Thread

No idea. Excited, but nervous as ever. Will be interesting to see how this team adjusts to playing without the ball, given how much of the past 2 years has been the opposite.

I'm worried about mobility if we play all of Mata, Rooney, Fellaini, Ibra that we just won't be able to deal with the movement, especially with Valencia not being the world's most experienced RB. Seems like a good time to try out Schneiderlein and Herrera to give us a bit more energy. If Jesse is fit, could be an option too.

Think we'll play a false 9 to drag your CBs out of position for Sane and Sterling to make diagonal runs in behind

Bravo
Stones Otamendi
Sagna Fernandinho Kolarov
Sterling Silva De Bruyne Sane
Nolito
Can't see Gundogan starting. Maybe come on later to steady the game if we're winning or losing control

Set pieces/high balls is my biggest fear. It could get nasty back there. One reason why Kolarov might start over Clichy despite the loss of pace at LB​

It's almost like Fellaini isn't the right choice for a central midfielder against quality opposition.

For a 'master of tactics', Mourinho has this all wrong.

Fellaini is your best midfielder albeit only defensive. Pogba played a dreadfull first half.
Lingaard and Mhkitarian were dramatic...

Shocking defending by Blind.

But Bravo and Zlatan changed it...

I like Fellaini so far this season, but you can't ask him to do this job. It's on Jose not him.

Mhiktaryan scares me with this performance. Everytime I saw him for BVB I dind't get - atmittedly that was mostly the season before last. He was terrible.

City were awesome.

Bravo should have been sent off, and United awarded a penno. Went studs up after his botched fake shot. Would have completely changed the dynamic of the match. What a joke.

I like Fellaini so far this season, but you can't ask him to do this job. It's on Jose not him.

Mhiktaryan scares me with this performance. Everytime I saw him for BVB I dind't get - atmittedly that was mostly the season before last. He was terrible.

City were awesome.

Pogba gave us the space moreso than Fellaini

Bravo should have walked, Clattenberg scared to make a decision. Rooney should have walked too, plenty of yellow card offences.

City were superb for 42 minutes, but I think the challenge is that is Pep's way - they need to have firmly won by then. Should be fine to win them the league. Best squad in the league last year, brought in Stones, Sane, Gundogan, Bravo. I mean, come on now. If De Bruyne stays fit, no one will be close imo. For all the constant chat about how much United have spent - and they have - City have spent more every year, on top of a league winning squad. And bought one of the best managers in football. How could it not work?!

This is the Bravo challenge, for any that missed it. Straight legged, off the ground: https://cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/ebfe.mp4

If an outfield player does that around midfield, they're gone. I know he touched the ball, but that literally doesn't matter according to the rules. It's a leg breaker if Rooney plants his foot.

Still think City deserved to win and should have scored on the counter, but some ammo against those saying United get decisions at home.

More embarrassing than hard man Otamendi?

Ketchup?
CsADwkpUEAEr5pz.jpg

Kolarov lost a tooth too.

Bailly, Rooney and Fellaini all lucky not to get multiple yellows

Still doesn't explain why no foul on Bravo.

But ref in Arsenal match significantly worse. City were better on the day, can't complain with the result. Just amused that the decision will be forgotten next week when United get a marginal call and the entirety of football say that the FA is owned by United etc etc.

Mutd looked like the visitor side. ManCity played w/ so much high pressure I knew Mutd would get there way after the 70min. mark. No one can match that much energy for 90min. Mou started w/ the wrong players knowing Pep is a possession master. The scoreline suggest a close game ,but it leaves ManCity scratching their heads how it didn`t ended 1-4 .

I knew since the beginning that this MU is still not prepared to beat Pep's City.
It will take Mou time to win against them. Maybe next season.

Looks like I'm alone thinking we had guts and at least played well? We created chances and were very close to score on 2 occasions.

I think I'm also alone in thinking Bravo's challenge was ok. He took the ball with the side of his foot from what I can see, not his studs. I think that's a good tackle after a stupid unnecessary dribble.

Oh and both City's goals were very lucky. I don't think they played that good either apart from De Bruyne.

Silva also played very well, Lami.
But i tend to agree with except about the Bravo challenge, that for me was a penalty and a red card (reckless challenge).

De Bruyne and Silva were splendid, but i'm still not convinced by them. I got the distinctie impression that Spurs in last season's form (not the current form), can beat City.

And about the managers, if i had to choose between both of them, it will always be Mourinho. I don't like Pep.

Despite all his antics, i think Mourinho is a Nice bloke outside football.

Looks like I'm alone thinking we had guts and at least played well? We created chances and were very close to score on 2 occasions.

I think I'm also alone in thinking Bravo's challenge was ok. He took the ball with the side of his foot from what I can see, not his studs. I think that's a good tackle after a stupid unnecessary dribble.

Oh and both City's goals were very lucky. I don't think they played that good either apart from De Bruyne.

He got the ball with his instep but you could argue it was reckless. Wasn't like Rooney had the ball tho. Both players were stretching for it.

Bailly on Otamendi was an obvious pen but Pep seems to be fine with letting Mourinho talk about refs.

Otamendi, Stones, Fernandinho, KDB and Silva were all good. Dominated their Utd counterparts. Nolito had a good 1st half as well.
Overall, it was more of a team performance than individuals.

Last edited:
Good point the team performed collectively. I`m surprise how lost Progba looked ,credit that to Pep.This has to be the weakest squad in the strongest league he has ever had to manage. ManCity has a strong squad ,but he has many holes to plug up. The work is in progress Pep will beat Barca in CL group (finalist).

You really think City's squad is weak?! I think it's bloody brilliant. Plus Gundogan, Kompany and Sane to bed in. Aguero to come back. Madness.

The Bravo lunge is simply a foul in today's laws. It just is. There is no argument about it. If you leave your feet (he does) with studs out and straight-legged (he does) it is dangerous play. The fact that a ref doesn't call it just means it's a mistake by the ref, and I absolutely guarantee if that happens outside the penalty area it's a foul. Clattenberg just didn't want to make a decision.

You really think City's squad is weak?! I think it's bloody brilliant. Plus Gundogan, Kompany and Sane to bed in. Aguero to come back. Madness.

The Bravo lunge is simply a foul in today's laws. It just is. There is no argument about it. If you leave your feet (he does) with studs out and straight-legged (he does) it is dangerous play. The fact that a ref doesn't call it just means it's a mistake by the ref, and I absolutely guarantee if that happens outside the penalty area it's a foul. Clattenberg just didn't want to make a decision.
Im comparing the squad he had in Barca/Bayern those were rich in comparison . Gundogan(I-prone),Kompany(I-prone) and Sane(future) has a huge (?) mark on what they`ll contribute. Let remember, he inherited a 4th squad City not a title winner like the others.

Bravo was a foul ,but Rooney trying to sell his tackle was the reason not given. Clattenburg is well known not to give in to those selling. He takes out the serpent tongue which says 'no!'

We need to start screaming and shouting like I saw Bale and Madrid yesterday. 17 fouls now from Feyenoord, and 1 yellow card. They're kicking lumps out of us, continually, but the ref is basically saying go right ahead.

18 and still no cards. Oh and their goal was a good yard offside, 3 feet from the linesman. Good stuff.

21 fouls, 1 card. 1 shot in the second half from Feyenoord, from a clear offside.

Finally, 3 mins of added time. Feyenoord make a sub as it starts. Takes exactly 47 seconds. Ref blows whistle at 3:01.

Listen, we weren't very good, but no way is that refereeing good enough. Feyenoord should buy some lottery tickets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom