Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Baros would only go for a maximum of 6/7M Owen would cost about 12, do liverpool have extra funds?

Usually it does when a team isnt used to spending a lot of money and doesnt need to invest it in something else.

Plus, how else are they gonna keep up to the standard that they set themselves after winning the CL?

Well they already have signed 4 players.
Sissoko
Reina
Zenden
Crouch
is that it?

Sulph said:
Well they already have signed 4 players.
Sissoko
Reina
Zenden
Crouch
is that it?

We've signed 6 players plus one on loan if the stupid Home Office change their minds on the work permit:

Barragan
Hobbs
Gonzalez <loan>
Sissoko
Reina
Zenden
Crouch

Zenden signed on free transfer, Crouch and Sissoko cost us ~£7m each and Reina was about £6m. We received £20m from UEFA and the chairman pumped in £20 so there's definitely funds available, but everything can't go to new signings. Need to raise funds by selling Baros or Dudek, which is highly unlikely now when he's injured :\

My point is that you sould have signed someone at the level of Owen and not Crouch.

Well we still dont know how well he will perform, some have stated he might be converted to a defender. :s

I hope it will happen as much as I don't like seeing players go back to the same club again. Guaranteed goals, though....:D

crayon said:
I hope it will happen as much as I don't like seeing players go back to the same club again. Guaranteed goals, though....:D
Thats what Owen brings. I dont understand why he left for only £8million.

RuneEdge said:
Thats what Owen brings. I dont understand why he left for only £8million.

8 Million and Nunez, so it was 8 Mill and a quid

Why did he leave in the first place? Did he think he was too big for Liverpool?

I cant remember. It all happened so quickly.

his contract had one year left and he didnt wanna sign.

therefore we didnt wanna do a McManaman an let him go for nout

so we got as much as possible

I dnt know why Benitez wants Bros to leave, imo he's the best striker out of the ones he already has.

Baros isnt the worst we have or the best, we have imo 4 decent strikers, not world class.

they need a kick up the arse theyre all as bad as each other, minus crouch. im lookin forward to seeing him play

i made a bet today that Crouch will score more than Morientes and Duncan Ferguson put together.

Pongolle is a decent player, hope he gets a chance when he is fit again

TimesOnline said:
Owen set for Anfield return
By Matt Dickinson

LIVERPOOL ARE BRACED for days of haggling with Real Madrid as they seek to bring Michael Owen back to Anfield. The Spanish club want £16 million — twice what they paid — for the England forward, but Rick Parry, Liverpool’s chief executive, hopes to reduce it to £12 million, with the payments spread over a few years.

Formal negotiations between the clubs should start this week as soon as Liverpool have recouped some funds from the departure of Milan Baros to Aston Villa. The Czech Republic forward should move to the Midlands for about £6.5 million.

Although Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, has emphasised that a centre half is his priority, he recognises that Owen’s return to Anfield would improve his team. Although Benítez has international forwards in Fernando Morientes, Peter Crouch and Djibril Cissé, Owen’s pedigree as a proven Premiership goalscorer should ensure that he is first choice.

Benítez did not beg Owen to stay on Merseyside when he took over last summer, but by then it was apparent that the player was looking to move. Despite rumours to the contrary, the pair parted on good terms, so there are no obstacles to a deal apart from the financial restrictions that mean that Liverpool will try to drive a hard bargain — particularly having sold Owen for £8 million 12 months ago.

Liverpool had hoped to persuade Real to accept a loan deal with a view to a permanent transfer but, with Newcastle United able to offer cash for Owen, they will almost certainly have to pay now. Parry is likely to offer £6 million up front, with the rest to follow over the remainder of the player’s contract.

A return to Anfield is not the only option available to Owen, but it is by far the most attractive. England’s leading goalscorer among the present squad, who is scheduled to join up with his national team-mates today before Wednesday’s friendly against Denmark in Copenhagen, is willing to consider Newcastle, but only on loan and only if the Liverpool deal collapses.

Manchester United have registered their interest in informal talks with Owen’s representatives. Sir Alex Ferguson is a long-term admirer and the Glazer family are eager to back the manager with funds but a holding midfield player is top of the shopping list at Old Trafford before the end of the transfer window on August 31.

Owen, who was in Hungary for a friendly with Real last night, may have to be patient as the clubs negotiate. The deal may not be concluded for at least a week but Gary Lineker, the former England forward and now BBC pundit, is convinced that the player will be back in the Premiership by the end of the month. “Trust me,” Lineker wrote in his newspaper column. “Owen is coming home.”

Real’s purchase of Robinho and Júlio Baptista has all but ensured Owen’s departure and Lineker compared the player’s predicament with the end of his time in Barcelona. “Football clubs, unfortunately, have a habit of playing silly devils in such situations,” Lineker said. “No one ever told me — as I am sure they have not told Owen — that I was unwanted but their actions make it perfectly clear that is the case.

“They say you should never go back but Owen would slot straight in at a club he knows so well, and he would be returning to the European champions — hardly a step down from Madrid, whereas a move to Newcastle would seem that way.”

He won't fit in Rafa's tactics, as a lone striker. He won't perform, don't buy. IF we sell Baros I wouldn't mind Owen, but only if we play with two up front at least at Anfield.

Following Saturdays inability to score it looks like Rafa has changed his mind about us needing a striker

CWright said:
Following Saturdays inability to score it looks like Rafa has changed his mind about us needing a striker

He insists on playing Cissé out wide, wtf is up with that, annoys the hell out of me. My fav player forced to play on the wing, heartbreaking! I've only seen Rafa play him up front a couple of times, dunno how he thinks, Houllier-tactics warning on that one. Play him up front if you want goals damnit, he's a PROVEN GOAL-SCORING STRIKER ffs! NOT a WINGER!

Sorry, had to let it all out, sorry if it affected you guys! :D Nothing personal towards you CWright! :)

YNWA.

Come on lads, look at the positive side of things. Although we didn't score, we did occasionally play some sublime passing football!

I'm thinking the idea of Owen coming here is more of the pressure from the board on Rafa than from Rafa himself....not a good sign imo. No disrespect to Owen, but I rather spend that dosh on Kuyt.

Theres always going to be positives you can take out of the game but since you lost you know that there is stuff that went wrong.

Sulph said:
Theres always going to be positives you can take out of the game but since you lost you know that there is stuff that went wrong.

We drew mate :D - but yes, I gotta agree that there are many outstanding issues to resolve. RE: Morientes, the jury is still out on him but I'm sure class will come through eventually

Hahhah i knew that, typo, people usuallycompain this much when they lose :p

Back
Top Bottom