Is EAFC better than PES 21?

Ah, I may have been confused - I've tried to find the press releases that mention 1v1, but eFootball is the first I can find.

Click here and search for "1vs1" and you'll find this:

Focus on 1vs1 duels: The eFootball™ development team has analysed real-life football tactics to create a new set of “1vs1” win/lose rules. With Motion Matching technology, the game evaluates the ball, movement speed, body direction, physical ability and more in real-time to affect the movement of every player. These win/lose rules work in tandem with player movement to make the game more convincing, including foul decisions, which have been reworked.

There's many ways to read into this, but it felt to me at the time (both through their words and through gameplay) that eFootball was focusing on the 1v1-focused market.

I think that one-on-one battles are something that has always been in football and so to a certain extent deserve to be in the game.
FIFA 20 isn't the first game to feature them. It's just that it features them in the wrong way (and even worse does FIFA 21 in my opinion, then with FIFA 22 onwards they kinda watered them down a little).

I can just name ISS 3, where at a certain point the game would "stop", zoom in and all important would be the one-on-one battle on the flank, or Tecmo World Soccer 96, where at times you would be tasked with the "feint" minigame to try and get past your opponent having also a temporary speed boost if I recall correctly if you succeeded (otherwise, he'd dispossess you).
Yes, it's a 100% arcade feature (and yes, I'm old. Old enough to remember that game, at least).

The thing is that one-on-one must not disrupt the usual gameplay or render all the opponents braindead because "it's a core mechanic that players have been asking for", it must just blend in properly.
In our case, there are UT players complaining because the AI dares close down a player running on the flank, as in their thinking (or lack thereof) this is a thing that shouldn't happen, and EA seem to eagerly listen to them.
All for the sake of the alleged "skill gap".
Yeah there's definitely a place for 1v1 in a football sense. The FIFA '1v1' is a very specific system I'm referring to when I mention it that was brought in for FIFA 20. It's a reprogramming of off-ball movement and behaviour.

It's nowhere near as bad in FC24, EA did implement some things to really offset it and help, but I wrote this last year or so to summarise what it means - https://evoweb.uk/threads/1v1-an-exploration.94841/

FIFA 21 was by far the lowest point of 1v1!

I think that one-on-one battles are something that has always been in football and so to a certain extent deserve to be in the game.
I have played as a goalkeeper at a professional level, there is nothing called 1 vs 1 in football. when one is marking someone, the second defender is doing the space marking, in case the first defender gets eliminated, the second one comes straight after it. In FIFA 23, I literally just kept walking with my player while I was marked by one defender, and when I pass in front of other defenders, they just keep watching. You may not notice it because for you the main purpose is to score goals. I hate scoring goals when the game is designed to let you do it.

I may sound very demanding, but as a person who couldn't carry on playing football life, I would still prefer a bit of simulation. Thank you

I have played as a goalkeeper at a professional level, there is nothing called 1 vs 1 in football.
Maybe there's a language barrier or something, but what I meant is that we do see in football situations in which the attacker (e.g. a winger) is alone against his marking man. It's not that uncommon.
Not every team always "gegenpresses" the ball carrier with two or three men.

Look at this situation for example:

1710154098553.png

1710154127165.png

Pato is one-on-one with his marking man, there are no defenders "doubling" on him.
In the second image (from Pato's point of view) you can see that there's a defender (#5) covering the most obvoius passing lane though (a thing that is normal).
Once he gets past the defender, he's alone:

1710154251936.png

That's the "on-on-one" situation I'm meaning.

What we should see, when a situation like this happens, is the rest of the team getting ready to "double" the man down, or to cover possible passing lanes (as you said).
That's what we've missed in FIFA 20 (to some extent), what we've absolutely not been seeing FIFA 21 (where it was absolutely out of the world), and what have then missed in FIFA 22 and 23 to some (more bearable, in my opinion) extent...
And again it's not totally fixed in FC 24 either (like Anth said, though, it's bearable and can be further countered in some way).

And that's what I mean with "it must just blend in properly".

I'm OK with the occasional situation in which you beat a man and you're then open on goal (think about a counter for example).
I'm 100% OK with a situation in which there's only one defender marking you but other teammates of his are getting ready to intervene if he gets beat or if you decide to pass it instead.
What I'm not OK with (and I think it's the same you're pointing out) is a situation in which you're marked by a defender and his teammates are just there minding their own business, doing nothing apart from watching the duel with a bin of popcorn in one hand and a can of coke in the other one.

Hopefully it's more clear now.

Last edited:
FIFA 20 isn't the first game to feature them. It's just that it features them in the wrong way (and even worse does FIFA 21 in my opinion, then with FIFA 22 onwards they kinda watered them down a little).

I can just name ISS 3, where at a certain point the game would "stop", zoom in and all important would be the one-on-one battle on the flank, or Tecmo World Soccer 96, where at times you would be tasked with the "feint" minigame to try and get past your opponent having also a temporary speed boost if I recall correctly if you succeeded (otherwise, he'd dispossess you).
Yes, it's a 100% arcade feature (and yes, I'm old. Old enough to remember that game, at least).

The thing is that one-on-one must not disrupt the usual gameplay or render all the opponents braindead because "it's a core mechanic that players have been asking for", it must just blend in properly.
In our case, there are UT players complaining because the AI dares close down a player running on the flank, as in their thinking (or lack thereof) this is a thing that shouldn't happen, and EA seem to eagerly listen to them.
All for the sake of the alleged "skill gap".

PES 2012/2013 also featured 1v1. It actually had the best implementation. You can go 1v1 against and attacker but your other defenders weren't brain dead and just ball watching.

I find PES 2021 very predictable and repetitive. PES 2019 is 100% a better game than PES 2021. PES 2021 have good animation flow and that's about it. Positioning is bad, marking tightness is non-existent, stats doesn't matter as much(you can have a league 2 team destroying Man City and struggle against Sheffield), animations gets stuck and unresponsive, huge gaps between midfield and defense, extremely 1 dimensional AI. The only goal i concede in PES 2021 is the CPU defender plays a long pass to the striker and the striker turns and shoots and goal. FC 24 out of the box is just as bad as PES 2021 out of the box. They got different issues. But PES 2021 gameplay modding doesn't have as much power as FC 24 gameplay modding. @Anth James turned FC 24 to a new game with his mod and modded FC 24 gameplay wise is much better than modded PES 2021. Also career mode is way more indepth in FC 24 and with how much you can mod the career mode, you can get very realistic career mode saves. FC 24 with @Anth James's gameplay mod and a realistic career mode mod is the best modern footie game you can play.
The similarity of goals scored in 21 isn't as bad as the ones in 19. I can't play against the CPU in 19 because it's the same crap 9/10 and the same goes for 21 in about 7/10 build ups. Against other humans. both games are fun, especially 19. However, insert unpopular opinion, I prefer 20 over both 19 and 21. I think it's the best parts of both games.

The frustrating thing for me is that I think PES was on the right path before Konami pulled the plug and with a few more years of iterations it could have got to something special. I still don’t understand how so many aspects of EFootball’s gameplay are worse than PES given that they are built from the same base. It seems to me that the move to Unreal engine has been a detriment, the game looks worse and runs poorer, especially compared to modded PES on PC. I think the reason they have not delivered ML yet is not because it is not ready but they simply don’t want to because they want to monetise online players.

I have played hundreds of hours of PES 21 and the only reason I keep playing is because of the gameplay mods, otherwise I would have got bored a long time ago. Holland’s latest mod has brought back some of the old PES magic feeling, but there are obviously limitations on what can be done through modding. If someone could fix the wretched playing switching this game has it would increase my enjoyment massively!

I haven’t tried a FIFA game for a while now, but seeing videos I can’t get past the skating, it just looks ridiculous to me. There are some aspects that look really nice though, most notably the shooting which seems to have a lot of variety.

For those of us who like a more sim like experience I don’t see much hope we will ever see a new game like that again.
nothing can fix the very very limited shooting and scoring variations in PES, it s just not developped enough, in FIFA 19 which im playing now, many goals are new, there are much more goal mouth stumbles and stuff happening in and around the area than PES, which has an automated way to let u score a goal...unfortutenaly unlike the OLD PES

Pes 20 is for anyone who's looking for a long game like 20 or 25 minutes. The build up is too damn slow for my taste, to many back passes ( pes 21 kinda fix this ) and all the same problem with fox engine pes. no ai dribbling.

If anyone wants to play 20, just play the patch 1.02 or 1.03. other than that the game gets worst.

Maybe there's a language barrier or something, but what I meant is that we do see in football situations in which the attacker (e.g. a winger) is alone against his marking man. It's not that uncommon.
Not every team always "gegenpresses" the ball carrier with two or three men.

Look at this situation for example:

View attachment 268144

View attachment 268145

Pato is one-on-one with his marking man, there are no defenders "doubling" on him.
In the second image (from Pato's point of view) you can see that there's a defender (#5) covering the most obvoius passing lane though (a thing that is normal).
Once he gets past the defender, he's alone:

View attachment 268146

That's the "on-on-one" situation I'm meaning.

What we should see, when a situation like this happens, is the rest of the team getting ready to "double" the man down, or to cover possible passing lanes (as you said).
That's what we've missed in FIFA 20 (to some extent), what we've absolutely not been seeing FIFA 21 (where it was absolutely out of the world), and what have then missed in FIFA 22 and 23 to some (more bearable, in my opinion) extent...
And again it's not totally fixed in FC 24 either (like Anth said, though, it's bearable and can be further countered in some way).

And that's what I mean with "it must just blend in properly".

I'm OK with the occasional situation in which you beat a man and you're then open on goal (think about a counter for example).
I'm 100% OK with a situation in which there's only one defender marking you but other teammates of his are getting ready to intervene if he gets beat or if you decide to pass it instead.
What I'm not OK with (and I think it's the same you're pointing out) is a situation in which you're marked by a defender and his teammates are just there minding their own business, doing nothing apart from watching the duel with a bin of popcorn in one hand and a can of coke in the other one.

Hopefully it's more clear now.
I totally agree with u, but the 1 v 1 in FIFA is different. For example, the pic you sent, if the player gets eliminated he would still chase u back with the support of number 6. But in FIFA, the player eliminated might still be the one chasing u from u back while other keep their distance away.

Thank you.

Can i continue with fifa 19? Or am i missing out if i don t get fifa 16 with os sliders? The issue is, im gonna need to buy a ps4 only to play 1 game lol, not logical

Can i continue with fifa 19? Or am i missing out if i don t get fifa 16 with os sliders? The issue is, im gonna need to buy a ps4 only to play 1 game lol, not logical
For me personally, I can't enjoy FIFA 16 without @Anth James' speedhack / friction increase on PC. I have the PS4 version and even on "slow" speed, the animations (and ball speed) are just too fast for me to find it fun. You can feel that the fundamentals are excellent (especially in terms of how "free" the ball is, and how many genuine, unforced outcomes there are), but I just can't get past the speed. That's on v1.0 or v1.7.

I'd much prefer to play it on console, especially with mates, but I really can't get past how fast it is (and it's probably slower than most FIFAs). I actually prefer 17 (even though it's a little glitchy) and 19 (even though patches spoilt it for me)! Other than that, only 14 feels sensible to me (but I can't enjoy that because I know I'm missing out on the freedom and the outcomes available in 16).

I'm so, so grateful to Anth because if not for him (and being lucky enough to have a PC that can cope with FIFA 16), I'd be playing PES5 forever. Which is no bad thing (I played a tournament with friends recently and we had an absolute blast, it was so much fun) - but having a realistic football game with modern features (e.g. a free ball, deeper AI etc.) and no drawbacks... It's something else. And I honestly don't think it'll ever happen again.

The similarity of goals scored in 21 isn't as bad as the ones in 19. I can't play against the CPU in 19 because it's the same crap 9/10 and the same goes for 21 in about 7/10 build ups. Against other humans. both games are fun, especially 19. However, insert unpopular opinion, I prefer 20 over both 19 and 21. I think it's the best parts of both games.

I don't agree. In PES 2021, 99% of the goals I have conceded is defender playing a driven pass to the striker and he turns and shoots to goal and my defender is in slow motion try to get tight to the striker. In PES 2019, I conceded goals from crosses, long shots, through passes, dribbling and even low crosses.

I agree. 20, in my opinion, Is way better than 21: less frantic,with a better midfield positioning and i feel better dribbling too.
It's not a bad game, but i really can't stay with the lack of variety, poor shooting and poor physics collision.

For the PC version, I think there's no other chance.
If you happen to have a console, I think that both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of FIFA 16 can be found for a price tag between 10 and 20 euros which is, all in all, fair enough.

For the PC version, I think there's no other chance.
If you happen to have a console, I think that both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of FIFA 16 can be found for a price tag between 10 and 20 euros which is, all in all, fair enough.
I managed to get it for relatively cheap not so long ago by buying an account online.
I could’ve brought it when it was around £30 and it doesn’t seem that long ago it was. But I didn’t!

So, I came across your post a week ago, and I saw ppl telling that EA 24 got better than PES, so, I tried to buy the game, and I uninstalled it straight ahead, I made a huge mistake!

I will never play this game again, and PES is not to be compared.

PS, I am the one who scored vs Legendary.

I'm still playing pes 2021 on ps5 with an option file. This modded FC24 I'm assuming is on PC and there is no way to make the ps5 version any better? Other than slider changes.

So, I came across your post a week ago, and I saw ppl telling that EA 24 got better than PES, so, I tried to buy the game, and I uninstalled it straight ahead, I made a huge mistake!

I will never play this game again, and PES is not to be compared.

PS, I am the one who scored vs Legendary.
Lol welcome to the FIFA experience I guess.
I spent more time modding it rather than playing the game and had enough.

The modding scene is also not looking good for users as almost everything is behind paywall.

Tho if you want to make some quick money:
  1. Learn some basic adobe tools and blender
  2. Install FET or FMT
  3. Make a mod
  4. Profit
  5. If an update breaks your mod, it's a blessing, repeat from step 3

So not worth buying FC atm, as it is reduced?
I wouldn't play it if it was free to play and I'm not exaggerating. Obviously that's just my opinion but i have the game and can't get through 5mins of irl play time before turning it off.

I wouldn't play it if it was free to play and I'm not exaggerating. Obviously that's just my opinion but i have the game and can't get through 5mins of irl play time before turning it off.
same here bought it, played about 3 min, uninstalled and refunded

But the gameplay still better PES 2021 :)
Well yes, but cause FC 24 sucks on purpouse.
Pes 2021 has nothing good,but at least is somehow a balanced game.
Fc24 has a lot of potential under the hood,but the removing of defensive A.i,and even the removing of foot planting animation ,waste all the good things that there are in game.
I hope one day,EA will go back and restore defensive a.i and bring back player's inertia like there were before fifa 20.

Guys it pains me to say it but I think I may be leaving pes behind? After 3 years of trying every single gameplay mod I think that the AI is just to simple. Nobody has ever managed to get the AI teams to dribble or attack aggressively. There has been so much great work done with all the great patches, stadiums, faces everything. But after playing EAFC with good sliders and mods I think it’s more challenging and fun imho. Anyone else feeling this way or is it just me?
Modded PES = Better physics and animations, better game pace when playing to humans, maybe.
FIFA/FC = Better licenses and AI.

Is about a compromise. With mods, FIFA can also a rather good game pace, but still a lot of problems with animations and Paul modding tool has been working regular for me this year, so I've recently tried back what's been on PES on my absence, and defenitely I can tell that PES feels much better in terms of game pace. You can walk, and want to do so when carrying the ball. Sadly, you can press as mad, also, cause you won't have any kind of penalization for running too much behind the ball, and that's also a bit painful since you won't see too much of calmed posession games, it will be really awful to keep the ball for too long and you want to move it forward the fastest possible, cause actually players won't be helping so much, and the pressure is usually overly effective, yet that has been changed a bit lately with certain mods that help dribbling be a thing.

Dunno, defenitely, the game is great but forces the direct game way too much specially with high pressure, with off-side not working as good as it should, and many things more.

Each game has it's strong and weak points and it'd be better if we found a middle ground between the two, but sadly, that doesn't seem it's going to happen unless a new IP is started by some indie football fanatic. And doesn't seem that is gonna happen, at least soon...

So many people won't get near EAFC for the 'skating'/foot planting etc - and I understand. It's definitely a weak point in the game and it's even worse when you watch videos of it as opposed to playing. It can look ugly and horrible. No argument. Until EA prioritise their animation system to be more physics based it is what it is. We can and have improved it, but it can't be eliminated fully- believe me I've tried.

However, my strong feeling is that it shouldn't be the only measuring stick for gameplay quality or realism. I feel people write off FC24 without giving it a proper go purely for that reason alone. PES 2021 seems to get a pass on an incredibly one dimensional, rigid gameplay experience pretty much purely because it has more grounded movement (and amazing graphical mods, patches etc). It gets labelled as the 'best football simulation ever' by some...but I honestly struggle to see why? The CPU plays the same way every match regardless of what you do. The goals, the patterns, the shots, the players.... they're virtually all the same. For me, this is very much outside my scope for 'realism' and even enjoyment.

It's a game I've tried to love and I can go and play it in small doses and enjoy it, but as an offline experience vs the CPU I just can't hang around for long at all as I find I really just can't 'play football'.

To be clear - I love PES, I just don't love PES 2021. Thinking back, PES 2020 was pretty much hated for being this way, yet PES 2021 came around as a season update with maybe minor adjustments in fludity and then it suddenly got labelled the best thing ever.

There's so many things that makes FC24 a much more deep experience once it's modded (I'm talking about mods here, not default - and I know I'm biased because it's my mod, but I've spent so long with the files that I know what the engine is capable of). PES 2021 is talked about in such a great light as a modded product, so I think it's only fair to do so with FC as well.

I genuinely feel like people who judge the game based on a video or a past perception alone are missing out on an experience that they would thoroughly enjoy much more than they think when looking at a video of it. Also, no-one hates 1v1 more than me (actually maybe @papinho81 :LMAO: ), however credit where it's due to EA as they did listen to various elements in FC24 that may not have made the biggest difference in the world to the default game, however it did massively help what was possible to achieve when modding.

I can safely say that I'm enjoying modded FC24 from a gameplay perspective more than I have any football game since FIFA 16. For me, not even close. The depth, variety, indvidiuality and expression makes it a no-brainer for me.

Those who think I'm just advertising my mod - you're welcome to think that, but I'm only spending the time on fleshing out the mod, because I actually enjoy the game. I've always been critical of areas that needed work. If you don't believe me, go look at comments on FIFA 20 onwards (especially 21 haha).
I agree with you, but getting FIFA/FC to a sweet spot is really difficult, since the game will always have serious animation problems, plus several other things (pass speed, acceleration of players, and mostly, positioning of players) that will difficult FC24 to be a proper sim. I do think that if we got best of each one, we would be a step closer to a good football sim, but sadly, this is not happening soon...

so I've recently tried back what's been on PES on my absence, and defenitely I can tell that PES feels much better in terms of game pace. You can walk, and want to do so when carrying the ball.
This is what we've been trying to do with Pure Football right.
I tried SP Football Life this year and it can do that straight out of the box.
Quite satisfying being able to walk the ball with your player instead of sliding it everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom