Is EAFC better than PES 21?

The graphics & atmosphere of the match, and other features of FIFA/EAFC 24 such as commentators, and other match schedules in the game are very impressive. However, for me, there is only one very unfortunate thing, the gameplay.

For me, looking at the FIFA/EAFC gameplay, the animation of the player's movement/footsteps is like floating or ice skating, the physical movement of the ball is like a balloon, not natural like PES. If the gameplay could be like PES, it would be even more amazing, especially as this is a new version from EA Sports. And finally, if this could adapt to the new UCL 2024 format, that would be amazing

This. I don't like PES 21, but I cannot bear the visual estetics of EAFC. Everything looks so cheap and cheesy somehow, when I look at it my brain cannot make this mental leap of thinking that what I see here is football. It looks like a cartoon with terrible animations and sliding everywhere. As much as I respect and acknowledge what modders are doing with the gameplay, it's just too much for me to see any chance of me enjoying it.
So many people won't get near EAFC for the 'skating'/foot planting etc - and I understand. It's definitely a weak point in the game and it's even worse when you watch videos of it as opposed to playing. It can look ugly and horrible. No argument. Until EA prioritise their animation system to be more physics based it is what it is. We can and have improved it, but it can't be eliminated fully- believe me I've tried.

However, my strong feeling is that it shouldn't be the only measuring stick for gameplay quality or realism. I feel people write off FC24 without giving it a proper go purely for that reason alone. PES 2021 seems to get a pass on an incredibly one dimensional, rigid gameplay experience pretty much purely because it has more grounded movement (and amazing graphical mods, patches etc). It gets labelled as the 'best football simulation ever' by some...but I honestly struggle to see why? The CPU plays the same way every match regardless of what you do. The goals, the patterns, the shots, the players.... they're virtually all the same. For me, this is very much outside my scope for 'realism' and even enjoyment.

It's a game I've tried to love and I can go and play it in small doses and enjoy it, but as an offline experience vs the CPU I just can't hang around for long at all as I find I really just can't 'play football'.

To be clear - I love PES, I just don't love PES 2021. Thinking back, PES 2020 was pretty much hated for being this way, yet PES 2021 came around as a season update with maybe minor adjustments in fludity and then it suddenly got labelled the best thing ever.

There's so many things that makes FC24 a much more deep experience once it's modded (I'm talking about mods here, not default - and I know I'm biased because it's my mod, but I've spent so long with the files that I know what the engine is capable of). PES 2021 is talked about in such a great light as a modded product, so I think it's only fair to do so with FC as well.

I genuinely feel like people who judge the game based on a video or a past perception alone are missing out on an experience that they would thoroughly enjoy much more than they think when looking at a video of it. Also, no-one hates 1v1 more than me (actually maybe @papinho81 :LMAO: ), however credit where it's due to EA as they did listen to various elements in FC24 that may not have made the biggest difference in the world to the default game, however it did massively help what was possible to achieve when modding.

I can safely say that I'm enjoying modded FC24 from a gameplay perspective more than I have any football game since FIFA 16. For me, not even close. The depth, variety, indvidiuality and expression makes it a no-brainer for me.

Those who think I'm just advertising my mod - you're welcome to think that, but I'm only spending the time on fleshing out the mod, because I actually enjoy the game. I've always been critical of areas that needed work. If you don't believe me, go look at comments on FIFA 20 onwards (especially 21 haha).

Last edited:
How can someone prefer a game that has only handful of probabilities to hit the net and shooting that is so one dimensional over a game that has many more bounces and rebounds and shot trajectories and goal.mouth scrambles... the old PES are gone, fox engine ruined it,even though ea fc has defender switching off, it is miles better the scoring aspect

I'm enjoying this thread, really interesting to read - especially interesting to see more people on the "PES side" giving EA a chance (and I've always regarded the PES hardcore as fairly staunch in their love of the game, with restricted interest in playing something with a different "feel").

PES 2021 has the feel of the older PES games when modded (solid, dependable ball physics, and stiff movement - which can be interpreted as realism).

Tactically, it's a Game Boy game. Even with "fluid formations", players have zero awareness, and move to "where they're supposed to be" with no idea where the ball is - and so what transpires on the pitch has no relation to football, with laser-passing from defender to striker while the opponents moonwalk backwards towards the keeper.

I can still, somehow, enjoy it a little bit with mods. How? Crucially, because what's important to me, it does well averagely. Physics belong to the planet earth, and human beings. Scoring is joyless because (unlike e.g. PES5, which was the polar opposite), every goal/strike is the same, but, never do I watch a replay and think "that's impossible".

EAFC, without mods... Frankly, I can't play it for more than 30 seconds without getting depressed. It's a Red Bull extra-sugar double-caffeine "play me while you swipe through Tiktok" nothing of a game.

No part of it is like football other than the stadiums and the kits. Players move simultaneously like they're wading through blancmange and ice-skating on rocket skates, depending on the situation. The ball changes its physical properties for "fun" (documented in EA's own "Pitch Notes"), on an invisible string, so that the player is "rewarded" with possession in situations where the ball's momentum would have resulted in a loose ball.

Loose balls don't exist in EAFC. Everything is binary. Every pass is perfect, direct to a teammate or direct to the opponent, because "FUN!" For a game that's 10x more complicated in terms of its code (or more convoluted, depending on how you see it), it will never cease to be astonishing to me how basic the gameplay is now - back to PS1/PS2 levels (where the ball was never "free" because of technical limitations) - and when the basics/fundamentals feel so alien and un-organic, what's left is a total mess of an experience. In my opinion.

(And don't get me started on the headers - little chipped balls to someone's head which somehow fly 80 yards from a standing header... Sorry, it's criminal.)

But if you can - somehow - ignore that... Look at the good bits of "Hypermotion".

The joy of seeing a player adjust his body to reach back with his leg and drag the ball forward to avoid losing possession of it. Goalkeepers throwing themselves at shots, getting fingers to it, and the ball reacting in an entirely different manner every time (unlike passes). But most of all, the shots... Everything feels possible. At its best, only this feels like the future.

Modded (by @Anth James), the worst bits are toned down as much as possible. This allows you to appreciate what the game does well. Without his help, I wouldn't have experienced any of the above.

But ultimately... And this is the bottom line for me... My EAFC goals aren't coming from build-up play. I'm not having to pass along the line and make AI defenders make mistakes. I'm simply passing forwards all the time, just a couple of times, then scoring. Fewer goals than without mods thanks to more pressing and better positioning, but I'm still in on goal by pushing forwards and "pass".

I'm back on FIFA 16 (with @Anth James' mods to give the ball and players more realistic friction/gravity) and frankly, after just a couple of matches, you're left open-mouthed at how bad things are now.

It's a huge culture shock, with the lines of midfield and defence not just rigid blocks that slide back and forth, but working together - some pressing, others blocking passing lanes - because they still had their AI "brains". This is transformative.

Football, to me*, is the joy of problem-solving. How do I force a mistake out of the opposition? Which player is poorer/slower than the others, how do I make space around him? Do I risk shooting with this midfielder or do I hold up the play, letting their defenders flood back but getting my striker forward?

PES 2021 has barely any of that, but in my opinion, EAFC has none. Mods make it tougher, but over and over I'm in on goal without thinking, almost by accident. Sure, you can play with sliders and get some madcap AI pressure, but that's not adding intelligence - it's simply another example of how basic the entire game is outside of the few good things "Hypermotion" offers.

*Football, to others, is scoring goals and feeling good about themselves. Unfortunately, this is who football games are made for - with no option for the stats-loving, podcast-listening, stadium-attending football fans. Why? Because they're a lot easier to monetise for an entire year... When you use the modding tools and you see how deep EAFC is (or could be)... That gets even more painful.

I have to be blunt; I truly hate EAFC. Even more so when I play FIFA 16 and I'm forced to remember what we had, instead of forcing myself to try and get fun out of what we have now, because I'm so fucking desperate.

For as long as EAFC doesn't have a "sim" switch, or (ideally) split into two separate titles with two different codebases (allowing the FUT players to have a cartoon game and everyone else to have a game that gets deeper each year), I don't see things changing.

But why would it. It makes more money every year (and will continue to, for eternity, no matter how it plays).

I have EAFC24 and i want to like it so so much. I want a game which has modes i can play, i love the overall presentation, the ball physics, the keepers but my god the core mechanics are absolutely dire. It's complete arcade when the ball is at a players feet, ghost touches, ball stuck to the player, turn immediately in any direction. Completely kills any immersion i have in the game.

That along with the completely non-existent midfield and end to end nature, the game is jus trash imo. I don't say this lightly but for me, it's one of the worst on field experiences i've ever played. Dull, repetitive and miles off any sort of representation of the sport outside of presentation.

Edit: as usual Chris and I are completely aligned and he's taken the time to say everything i wanted to but couldn't be bothered to type :LMAO:

Edit 2: I have said this in another thread too but i think eFootball 24 is modes and improved presentation away from being an 8/10 game. I don't expect either to happen but it's a pretty good place to be should they decide to actually put their best foot forward. Unfortunately i have no confidence in them doing so, even if i've been told by people close to the game it's still the plan. Finally, when i started playing eFootball again and taking some interest in its nuances and learning the game again, I found the sentiment online to be surprisingly positive. I say surprisingly because it's easy to bash but it's not surprising if you give the game some time and learn how it plays. I see a lot of people who previously hated it, very positive about the 24 update and there's a fair amount of content across youtube, some of which by people who previously made only FIFA content.

With that said, as per Chris' final sentence, i don't think there's any incentive to change for either game but if PES added a (proper) league mode and edit mode, it would keep me interested for longer than any game since FIFA16 i think.

Last edited:
So many people won't get near EAFC for the 'skating'/foot planting etc - and I understand. It's definitely a weak point in the game and it's even worse when you watch videos of it as opposed to playing. It can look ugly and horrible. No argument. Until EA prioritise their animation system to be more physics based it is what it is. We can and have improved it, but it can't be eliminated fully- believe me I've tried.

However, my strong feeling is that it shouldn't be the only measuring stick for gameplay quality or realism. I feel people write off FC24 without giving it a proper go purely for that reason alone. PES 2021 seems to get a pass on an incredibly one dimensional, rigid gameplay experience pretty much purely because it has more grounded movement (and amazing graphical mods, patches etc). It gets labelled as the 'best football simulation ever' by some...but I honestly struggle to see why? The CPU plays the same way every match regardless of what you do. The goals, the patterns, the shots, the players.... they're virtually all the same. For me, this is very much outside my scope for 'realism' and even enjoyment.

It's a game I've tried to love and I can go and play it in small doses and enjoy it, but as an offline experience vs the CPU I just can't hang around for long at all as I find I really just can't 'play football'.

To be clear - I love PES, I just don't love PES 2021. Thinking back, PES 2020 was pretty much hated for being this way, yet PES 2021 came around as a season update with maybe minor adjustments in fludity and then it suddenly got labelled the best thing ever.

There's so many things that makes FC24 a much more deep experience once it's modded (I'm talking about mods here, not default - and I know I'm biased because it's my mod, but I've spent so long with the files that I know what the engine is capable of). PES 2021 is talked about in such a great light as a modded product, so I think it's only fair to do so with FC as well.

I genuinely feel like people who judge the game based on a video or a past perception alone are missing out on an experience that they would thoroughly enjoy much more than they think when looking at a video of it. Also, no-one hates 1v1 more than me (actually maybe @papinho81 :LMAO: ), however credit where it's due to EA as they did listen to various elements in FC24 that may not have made the biggest difference in the world to the default game, however it did massively help what was possible to achieve when modding.

I can safely say that I'm enjoying modded FC24 from a gameplay perspective more than I have any football game since FIFA 16. For me, not even close. The depth, variety, indvidiuality and expression makes it a no-brainer for me.

Those who think I'm just advertising my mod - you're welcome to think that, but I'm only spending the time on fleshing out the mod, because I actually enjoy the game. I've always been critical of areas that needed work. If you don't believe me, go look at comments on FIFA 20 onwards (especially 21 haha).
agree totally

Good to see people enjoying the thread 👍 I like many of you swing back a forward between PES 21 and EAFC. It’s like a Groundhog Day nightmare and I am desperate to find what I used to have on the early pes games (pto evo 2 (showing my age 😂😂)) and like many fifa 16-17 were great.

is anyone modding fifa 16?

The problem with PES is that it's depicting football like it was played 25 years ago. It's just outdated in 2024.

EAFC is the way better game when it comes to simulating modern football, and you don't even need mods or sliders for that. Mods and sliders can just provide some balancing on top, but the base game already truly shines compared to PES.

The problem with PES is that it's depicting football like it was played 25 years ago. It's just outdated in 2024.

EAFC is the way better game when it comes to simulating modern football, and you don't even need mods or sliders for that. Mods and sliders can just provide some balancing on top, but the base game already truly shines compared to PES.
What do you mean about pes? I find it interesting

The graphics & atmosphere of the match, and other features of FIFA/EAFC 24 such as commentators, and other match schedules in the game are very impressive. However, for me, there is only one very unfortunate thing, the gameplay.

For me, looking at the FIFA/EAFC gameplay, the animation of the player's movement/footsteps is like floating or ice skating, the physical movement of the ball is like a balloon, not natural like PES. If the gameplay could be like PES, it would be even more amazing, especially as this is a new version from EA Sports. And finally, if this could adapt to the new UCL 2024 format, that would be amazing
I was surprised no one mentioned this before you.
This is the first thing I noticed on the videos and that's exactly what makes me reluctant to buy the game. Otherwise I would be very interested in trying facemaking in it.

I play both game, although not for every series. What I love from FIFA is slider, its an awesome feature for customize gameplay (at least for offline casual players). But what make me feel "missing something" is FIFA physic. Its the thing that not all players able to customize it, we need mod for it.

I haven't tried FC24 yet, because it don't have intro scene (its funny, how hard to put it in). But in terms FIFA 23 vs PES 2021, I prefer FIFA 23 with mod.

Yes, physic is the weakest point from FIFA. But I feel that physics in FIFA 15 and 16 is far away better than 17-23 (havent try 24 due no match intro). I read some peoples tell that FIFA physic became bad after change engine into frostbite. I don't know technical explanation for it but I agree, FIFA 15 and 16 physic (Ignite) feel a lot better than 17-23 (Frostbite). Even I still play FIFA 15 due this reason, although have 17, 21, 22 and 23.

Yes, physic is the weakest point from FIFA. But I feel that physics in FIFA 15 and 16 is far away better than 17-23 (havent try 24 due no match intro). I read some peoples tell that FIFA physic became bad after change engine into frostbite. I don't know technical explanation for it but I agree, FIFA 15 and 16 physic (Ignite) feel a lot better than 17-23 (Frostbite). Even I still play FIFA 15 due this reason, although have 17, 21, 22 and 23.
I think the player physic movement of PES is still the best until now. I just confuse why FIFA series can't adapt from it?

I'm enjoying this thread, really interesting to read - especially interesting to see more people on the "PES side" giving EA a chance (and I've always regarded the PES hardcore as fairly staunch in their love of the game, with restricted interest in playing something with a different "feel").
As per, Chris puts it better than I ever could.

I haven't played EAFC. I don't see why it's worth my time, effort, and certainly my money as I didn't like 19, 20, 23 and most of 22.

I'd definitely rather play PES 2021 than any of the above, but that's faint praise. It is one of the most frustrating experiences as it teases you with some delightful physics and fluidity one minute, and the next your controller is creaking as you've battered the player switching to an inch of its life trying to select the right defender (by which point the CPU has scored*) and inflicted maximum PSI on the sprint button while watching your whippet waddle towards the ball only to be outstripped by an AI's defensive oil tanker.

*By taking a long ball into feet on the edge of the box, rolling your defender with his buns of steel, and sweeping it into the bottom corner.

Thankfully, I'm not that desperate for a new experience. From Nintendo World Cup to FIFA 17 I've got a litany of games I can sink a lifetime into without the need for mods or sliders or anything. But don't get me wrong, if the right game came along I'd pay a handsome price. Sadly, FIFA 14 is much, much closer to that game than EAFC is.

I simply retain a futile glimmer of hope that a developer may go for the differential. There are lots of stats-loving, podcast-listening, stadium-attending football fans out there. Presumably, smarter people than me have already done the calculations and found of there's not enough to warrant an on-field video game. For now...

I think the player physic movement of PES is still the best until now. I just confuse why FIFA series can't adapt from it?
Yes, I agree. That questions annoy me too much when playing FIFA.

But for my context, I'm curious why newer FIFA can't replicate good physic from their own previous games. I'm understand if they can't do like in PES because they never know how to make PES, but they know how to make previous FIFA (15 and 16).

Yes, I agree. That questions annoy me too much when playing FIFA.

But for my context, I'm curious why newer FIFA can't replicate good physic from their own previous games. I'm understand if they can't do like in PES because they never know how to make PES, but they know how to make previous FIFA (15 and 16).
Yes, absolutely agree. FIFA 16 have good gameplay

Thankfully, I'm not that desperate for a new experience. From Nintendo World Cup to FIFA 17 I've got a litany of games I can sink a lifetime into
I think this is a key point. Even though we are all curious for the newest experience, there are so many PES/FIFA editions that it would take many, many lifetimes to fully explore them all.

Personally, I have many different PES and FIFA installments in my collection. It's like being a kid in a candy store, with so many different options. I like gameplay mods and tweaking sliders as well, so that just increases the variability. I don't really feel any pressure to play the most updated version, just choose any one that strikes my fancy at the moment. For example, right now I'm having a blast with FIFA 15.. And will probably go back to PES 2009 soon. I definitely love both series and their historic titles, each with their own differences and characteristics, subtle or not, each title with their own personality.

That being said, @Anth James and Sensei @Holland are doing an awesome job with their mods. :TU:

I think this is a key point. Even though we are all curious for the newest experience, there are so many PES/FIFA editions that it would take many, many lifetimes to fully explore them all.

Personally, I have many different PES and FIFA installments in my collection. It's like being a kid in a candy store, with so many different options. I like gameplay mods and tweaking sliders as well, so that just increases the variability. I don't really feel any pressure to play the most updated version, just choose any one that strikes my fancy at the moment. For example, right now I'm having a blast with FIFA 15.. And will probably go back to PES 2009 soon. I definitely love both series and their historic titles, each with their own differences and characteristics, subtle or not, each title with their own personality.

That being said, @Anth James and Sensei @Holland are doing an awesome job with their mods. :TU:
I still occasionally play WE 2000 and WE5FE (PES1). Yes, each titles has their own "taste" and its a blessing we don't like other kind of peoples who always have pressure to play newest version ASAP.

From Nintendo World Cup to FIFA 17 I've got a litany of games I can sink a lifetime into
If you liked Nintendo World Cup, also have a look at this if you haven't already. It's a game I still use to play from time to time and it is in my opinion somehow the "modern successor" to Nintendo World Cup.
No referee (so the chance to bring down your opponents whenever and wherever you want without being punished), special moves (which you trigger when filling up a power bar), totally arcade gameplay.

It's like being a kid in a candy store, with so many different options. I like gameplay mods and tweaking sliders as well, so that just increases the variability. :TU:
You know what? I feel like that, too, but I really can't find a candy flavour that really totally suits me. Every candy has something great but also something that I feel that another candy does better.

Last edited:

I have EA FC on PS5. I gave it a chance this year and I believe the game offers much more deeper experience than PES (especially career mode). The animation and "skating" was a bit of a turn off in the beginning but i am noticing that it has been tweaked a lot over recent updates. The game with sliders is really enjoyable. I wonder what a modded version would offer so wanted to ask if it's worth it to move to PC, and what kind of mods I need to enhance the experience even more. Camera angles for example is a big thing for me and I wish they would offer more choices in the console version.

ive been a disalusioned PES fan over the past few years, evry year I dip in and out of FIFA. I still find myself playing PES2017.The AI vairiety in all aspects is better than anything since IMO, Ive been moderately enjoying EAFC but it doiesnt come close to a decent PES. I cant believe how bad things have got, years ago I used to wonder how amazing modern games would be, but I obviously didnt factor in the play to win ,modes.

Fifa 16 physics is amazing, expecially collisions regards and shooting. Passing is a lil weird but overall Is a lot better than new fifas and even pes21 too.

About pes21 vs fc24, in my opinion both sucks, but fc24 sucks on purpouse. Game designer take a direction, the arcade e-sport One,and even if the game is bad for someone who is looking for a football sim, it is doing good what is meant to be.

Pes21 Is the most overrated football game ever. It Is simply a game that looks decent/good but plays so bad.

I played football as a professional till a certain age, I can tell you that Fifa 19 was the last one close to the fundamentals of football.
Beside talking about the skating and how a player can turn like that fast, the 1 vs 1 is something you cannot cover ur eyes on it, the game is designed for online players or for people who just wanna enjoy football without caring about how it properly should be played.
Fifa's problems are intended, while PES' ones are due to the lack of development. That's why PES 21 is still better than EA 24, tho pes 21 was designed in 2018.

Now, let's talk honestly, Pes gone bankrupt bcs of many reasons; the game is always cracked, online was not supported to bring money, the new generation doesn't care about tactics and simulation, master league doesn't bring any money.

I hope modders one day will collaborate and make their proper game, maybe using the fundamentals of pes.

The frustrating thing for me is that I think PES was on the right path before Konami pulled the plug and with a few more years of iterations it could have got to something special. I still don’t understand how so many aspects of EFootball’s gameplay are worse than PES given that they are built from the same base. It seems to me that the move to Unreal engine has been a detriment, the game looks worse and runs poorer, especially compared to modded PES on PC. I think the reason they have not delivered ML yet is not because it is not ready but they simply don’t want to because they want to monetise online players.

I have played hundreds of hours of PES 21 and the only reason I keep playing is because of the gameplay mods, otherwise I would have got bored a long time ago. Holland’s latest mod has brought back some of the old PES magic feeling, but there are obviously limitations on what can be done through modding. If someone could fix the wretched playing switching this game has it would increase my enjoyment massively!

I haven’t tried a FIFA game for a while now, but seeing videos I can’t get past the skating, it just looks ridiculous to me. There are some aspects that look really nice though, most notably the shooting which seems to have a lot of variety.

For those of us who like a more sim like experience I don’t see much hope we will ever see a new game like that again.

ive been a disalusioned PES fan over the past few years, evry year I dip in and out of FIFA. I still find myself playing PES2017.The AI vairiety in all aspects is better than anything since IMO, Ive been moderately enjoying EAFC but it doiesnt come close to a decent PES. I cant believe how bad things have got, years ago I used to wonder how amazing modern games would be, but I obviously didnt factor in the play to win ,modes.

PES 2017 is so good. I use to hate that game initially due to the PC input lag and the unresponsive dribbling and the bad PC port in general but playing it in PS4 was fun. Definitely the best Fox engine PES game outside of PES 2015 demo. Miles better than PES 2021 when it comes to AI and pattern of play.

Fifa's problems are intended, while PES' ones are due to the lack of development.
This is so painfully true, well put. It's tragic when you think, if EA just tried to make a PES with the power they have, it would be something else. But they never will, because they don't have to.

I have to point out that PES added the 1v1 focus in the last couple of games too. EDIT: I was thinking of eFootball, see below!

Last edited:
This is so painfully true, well put. It's tragic when you think, if EA just tried to make a PES with the power they have, it would be something else. But they never will, because they don't have to.

I have to point out that PES added the 1v1 focus in the last couple of games too, so they absolutely did have the desire to capitalise on EA's core FUT-driven market to the point of heavily influencing gameplay in the end. But even then, it felt like a grounded attempt, not a complete rewrite of the game to turn it into Fortnite.
I’ve seen you mention this a few times Chris, I wasn’t aware PES have a 1v1 system like FIFA? Did they mention this somewhere?

I’ve seen you mention this a few times Chris, I wasn’t aware PES have a 1v1 system like FIFA? Did they mention this somewhere?
Ah, I may have been confused - I've tried to find the press releases that mention 1v1, but eFootball is the first I can find.

Click here and search for "1vs1" and you'll find this:

Focus on 1vs1 duels: The eFootball™ development team has analysed real-life football tactics to create a new set of “1vs1” win/lose rules. With Motion Matching technology, the game evaluates the ball, movement speed, body direction, physical ability and more in real-time to affect the movement of every player. These win/lose rules work in tandem with player movement to make the game more convincing, including foul decisions, which have been reworked.

There's many ways to read into this, but it felt to me at the time (both through their words and through gameplay) that eFootball was focusing on the 1v1-focused market.

I think that one-on-one battles are something that has always been in football and so to a certain extent deserve to be in the game.
FIFA 20 isn't the first game to feature them. It's just that it features them in the wrong way (and even worse does FIFA 21 in my opinion, then with FIFA 22 onwards they kinda watered them down a little).

I can just name ISS 3, where at a certain point the game would "stop", zoom in and all important would be the one-on-one battle on the flank, or Tecmo World Soccer 96, where at times you would be tasked with the "feint" minigame to try and get past your opponent having also a temporary speed boost if I recall correctly if you succeeded (otherwise, he'd dispossess you).
Yes, it's a 100% arcade feature (and yes, I'm old. Old enough to remember that game, at least).

The thing is that one-on-one must not disrupt the usual gameplay or render all the opponents braindead because "it's a core mechanic that players have been asking for", it must just blend in properly.
In our case, there are UT players complaining because the AI dares close down a player running on the flank, as in their thinking (or lack thereof) this is a thing that shouldn't happen, and EA seem to eagerly listen to them.
All for the sake of the alleged "skill gap".

Back
Top Bottom