Is EAFC better than PES 21?

The problem with PES is that it's depicting football like it was played 25 years ago. It's just outdated in 2024.

EAFC is the way better game when it comes to simulating modern football, and you don't even need mods or sliders for that. Mods and sliders can just provide some balancing on top, but the base game already truly shines compared to PES.
There is almost no resistance from the midfield, how on earth is that a simulation? You can walk the length of the field letting the CPU dive in and score with your keeper on World Class level. I don't know what footy games you watch in real life but EAFC is nothing like the real game.

This is what we've been trying to do with Pure Football right.
I tried SP Football Life this year and it can do that straight out of the box.
Quite satisfying being able to walk the ball with your player instead of sliding it everywhere.
Yup, that's what Pure Football was aiming for. Sadly, is way more difficult to get it done in FIFA. That and the freaking defenders not defending are really what destroy FIFA, cause then the AI is a bit better and more customizable, and positioning is way better than PES, with players receiving the ball between the lanes, being more active in the sense of moving without the ball (yet they do run too much in general), but also, I still feel that the pitch is way smaller in FIFA, so it also helps that match pace is way worse.

I don't know, in general, I feel that each game has it's strong and weak points, and I'd need to rework some of my UFS values in order to make the game better, so that players can be a bit more reactive in defense, so that when playing in -2, cutting the other side is less effective. I'd also need to redo ball physics, since with the exe I am using now, it feels like the players actually don't control the ball properly. Lastly, I'd need to redo pressure and markings, cause right now is way too effective, and if I improve first touch passes and controls (which I need to do, yet with care to avoid them being op), ball fights in the center of the pitch might open up too much for goals, and concede too much goals.

Essentially, problem with PES is that it is not positional enough, and it needs to play more around posession, with teams defending more on block, either high mid or low block, instead of defendin so individual.

PES football feels way too much english, and from the previous century, and if you add to that low effort from defences, open shots, and high accuracy on open shots, you end up with players shooting from 30 yd alone and scoring bangers from out of the box minute 16 out of 90 (real time here), one match and again, or either getting the ball to their striker too easily cause players won't recover enough, etc. etc.

FIFA, on the other hand, has better positioning in general, but players are too lazy to follow marks (something that happens in PES aswell but not THAT MUCH), and ocassions being created out of nowhere.

So essentially, both games need a more solid defences, more difficult to surpass, but less adept to take the ball away from you, less do-or-die, and much more staying their ground and giving some space for the ball carrier to think, in the sense of not taking the ball away inmediately, but however being close enough as to avoid passes. All that, tied with a good, sensible and logical stamina system, where players ACTUALLY NEED TO MESSURE how much they sprint, instead of mindlessly sprinting all the time, and were users can have more contol over the speed of their players, with, and without the ball.

Problems we face is that we are limited on resources and values to change, specially in PES, even if it has a better base in terms of base speed/acceleration, player proportions to the pitch, ball speed, animations and animation blending, and all those things. As said, the amount of things to change in PES is way more limited, and in FIFA, is really difficult to find the key that makes the game behave as we want, and defence be much more of a group thing, trying to cut more passing lanes, being more active in the 1-on-1, following marks, etc., but without being running all the time, more from a positioning perspective.

Summing up... we are a little bit fucked. Yet we will keep on trying.

There is almost no resistance from the midfield, how on earth is that a simulation? You can walk the length of the field letting the CPU dive in and score with your keeper on World Class level. I don't know what footy games you watch in real life but EAFC is nothing like the real game.
PES ain't much better. The resistance you have in midfield is very artificial, and the posesions feel way too much do-or-die, and the ball goes from side to side way too fast. There's no way you can do a reliable posession in PES with more than 5 passes, cause it encourages to play it fast into the box, and that's not how every team play. Even if in certain ways it is better than FIFA, in much others is way worse, and a lot of times, and specially with rivalries and high pressure, the game plays like if they were on the last 5 minutes of the match, since minute 0, with a way too open approach to the match. One thing is having high pressure, and another one, being unable to go back into your own half of the pitch, opening yourself to counter after counter, wich as I said, it happens way too much in PES, specialy with rivalries.

PES ain't much better. The resistance you have in midfield is very artificial, and the posesions feel way too much do-or-die, and the ball goes from side to side way too fast. There's no way you can do a reliable posession in PES with more than 5 passes, cause it encourages to play it fast into the box, and that's not how every team play. Even if in certain ways it is better than FIFA, in much others is way worse, and a lot of times, and specially with rivalries and high pressure, the game plays like if they were on the last 5 minutes of the match, since minute 0, with a way too open approach to the match. One thing is having high pressure, and another one, being unable to go back into your own half of the pitch, opening yourself to counter after counter, wich as I said, it happens way too much in PES, specialy with rivalries.
I don't care what PES is or isn't. I'm referring to your comment that EAFC is somehow remotely realistic compared to any game of football that has ever been played on this planet without the aid/handicap of drugs. PES and FIFA have been crap for years and they're not going to get any better because that's not what brings the cash in. Personally, I can happily play FIFA 16 until the good Lord returns because nothing is getting anywhere near it in terms of quality this side of armageddon. PES 21 is a 4/10 girlfriend who modders made into a 8/10 at a distance but still a 6/10 at best when close up. You can't polish a turd but you can cover it in glitter.

Are we talking modded FC24 vs modded PES 2021 or vanilla vs vanilla? I feel like for some reason PES 2021 is able to be talked about as a modded product with no backlash, but when FC24 gets talked about modded, it has to come with major ******* to justify.....

I'll be honest the PES 21 without mods i didn't really enjoy much, i thought it was too stiff and the players felt heavy, but with the mods it plays very good, not perfect but it's one of the best football games i've played when it comes to realism, EAFC and FIFA i never get the same feeling when scoring a goal, i find EA very pick up and play, yeah you can put it on the highest level but then the scripting comes in and it's just a cheat. Most of the players just feel like they've been copied and pasted. Also i find EAFC graphics not as good compared to PES maybe that's just me though.

I'll be honest the PES 21 without mods i didn't really enjoy much, i thought it was too stiff and the players felt heavy, but with the mods it plays very good, not perfect but it's one of the best football games i've played when it comes to realism, EAFC and FIFA i never get the same feeling when scoring a goal, i find EA very pick up and play, yeah you can put it on the highest level but then the scripting comes in and it's just a cheat. Most of the players just feel like they've been copied and pasted. Also i find EAFC graphics not as good compared to PES maybe that's just me though.
Every fifa from 14 to 19, expecially 16 in my opinion,is by far better than pes2021. I have not tryed a modded pes2021,but its flaws can't be fixed by mods in my opinion.

Every fifa from 14 to 19, expecially 16 in my opinion,is by far better than pes2021. I have not tryed a modded pes2021,but its flaws can't be fixed by mods in my opinion.
i just can't get into FIFA anymore, i do like the FIFA 14 pc version, with the classic patch. i just find when i score a goal it doesn't give me the same feeling as what PES does. Listen like i said i didn't enjoy PES 21 but with mods they make the gameplay a lot better than the standard version. try hollands and twiggys gameplay mods. you can find them on here.

Man, wtf scripting? Literally PES has way more scripting than FIFA, even when modded. Have you tried FIFA modded even once? I mean, PES is great on it's own, with much better animations, and all, but man FIFA the problem it has is that defenders don't defend but trust me that feels less rigid than PES. And in terms of defending and such, both share the fact that CPU defenders are SHIT. Maybe a bit worse in FIFA (yet it can be modded further than PES, so more room to improvement, but also more difficult because of the share ammount of shit to touch) but in general, and I hate to say this because I hate EA with a passion but FIFA has way more modding potential than PES in terms of gameplay and has the potential to be a better game.

Last edited:
I love both franchises, but one thing that I think FIFA (not just FC24 but in general) has over PES is the following point:

I've been experimenting with passing sliders, playing on semi in several editions and I've noticed something very interesting..

Increasing and decreasing pass accuracy slider has a major effect on semi passing. the change from say, 50-55 is massive, making it much more manual, and decreasing from 50-45 makes it much more assisted. Of course, this is more pronounced in some editions than others.

But in a nutshell, let's say we describe manual passing at 0.0 and fully assisted at 1.0, you can have a fulll range from 0.01-0.99 pass assistance playing with semi while changing the pass accuracy slider.

I remember that @Chris Davies mentioned a while back that he felt semi was too assisted in some editions, but tinkering with the sliders while playing semi is a great way to find a sweet spot in terms of assistance. :) I'm a big fan of semi, so having this option is a great plus for FIFA/FC.

It's an interesting conversation for sure. I think if this thread shows us anything, it's that we all have a much more broad scope for what is defined as 'realism' than we probably all thought. I've certainly found that from gameplay modding and hearing different people's opinions and feedback.

I love both franchises, but one thing that I think FIFA (not just FC24 but in general) has over PES is the following point:

I've been experimenting with passing sliders, playing on semi in several editions and I've noticed something very interesting..

Increasing and decreasing pass accuracy slider has a major effect on semi passing. the change from say, 50-55 is massive, making it much more manual, and decreasing from 50-45 makes it much more assisted. Of course, this is more pronounced in some editions than others.

But in a nutshell, let's say we describe manual passing at 0.0 and fully assisted at 1.0, you can have a fulll range from 0.01-0.99 pass assistance playing with semi while changing the pass accuracy slider.

I remember that @Chris Davies mentioned a while back that he felt semi was too assisted in some editions, but tinkering with the sliders while playing semi is a great way to find a sweet spot in terms of assistance. :) I'm a big fan of semi, so having this option is a great plus for FIFA/FC.
In How did you set FIFA 16?

Did PES 2021 modded ever fixed the issue where teams like Sheffield United plays like Barcelona because stats don't mean anything and that every match feels like the and the AI only has one way to score(turning and shooting)? If so, I might give it a true. I tried SP Football Life and i conceded 6 goals against CPU in 4 matches and they are all turning and shooting because the AI doesn't know how to mark tightly. Also I easily beat teams like Man City 3-0 and lost against Luton Town. For me that's well beyond realism. It's fictional and alternate reality. I mean sure, animation is fine and smooth and ball physics is nice when it comes to passing. It has good sense of inertia and the other patches or very good like stadium and kits. But playing against CPU is extremely boring on that game.

In How did you set FIFA 16?
I haven't set it on FIFA 16 since I play that edition with Anth's gameplay mods, and he recommends not changing sliders. :)

But usually in other FIFAS, I usually set it 51-55 pass error with semi. :TU: The best way is to experiment and find your own personal sweet spot.

I haven't set it on FIFA 16 since I play that edition with Anth's gameplay mods, and he recommends not changing sliders. :)

But usually in other FIFAS, I usually set it 51-55 pass error with semi. :TU: The best way is to experiment and find your own personal sweet spot.
I also play with Anth's ball physics...I would just like to find a cl.ini regarding the credible gameplay, that is, as far as possible, it makes the CPU AI more varied with its attacks and level defensive at champion level (I play expert)

Speaking of gameplay mods, in terms of PES 2021, I've been really enjoying this combination of mods:

- A variation of @incas36 DFE/Golden Exe, posted here (with less accurate passes and less strong free kicks, a modded gameplay by Sensei @Holland) :)
- The latest version of Liberty dt18 by @tdth (my favorite dt18), posted here

The game feels much freer to me, and much more enjoyable. :)

Actually I might be one of the few who really likes PES 2021. Yes it has its flaws, but with the right combination of mods (and there are literally, hundreds), I actually find it really enjoyable.

Anyway, since we're talking about PES 2021 as well here, I wanted to share this combo.

That's great to know. As I have to play on semi, but I get annoyed when simple passes that I can make IRL with ease and instantly, are a little too tricky to do on FIFA. Same reason I get annoyed with FUMA on EF. As short easy passes are too difficult to do, when really they should be extremely easy. I'd want a setting where you can semi automate short passing but rest manual.

Did PES 2021 modded ever fixed the issue where teams like Sheffield United plays like Barcelona because stats don't mean anything and that every match feels like the and the AI only has one way to score(turning and shooting)?
Funnily enough, I've found that the first true "fix" for this was released a short time ago - I posted about it here detailing one of my favourite tests.

It's the same test I use for EAFC (once I've installed the National Team World Cup Patch)... Take Norway, with largely average players and one absolute monster in Haaland. Play as them, against an equivalent team. Do you struggle until you get Haaland on the ball? When you get him on the ball, do you genuinely get an advantage? Or does every player feel the same?

(And vice versa - when you play against them, does Haaland stand out?)

Previously in PES 2021, I've found (like you say) every game is a tight game, no matter the teams involved. However, with Holland's "demo" add-on above, I'm 2-0 up instantly against poorer teams a lot of the time (particularly on Top Player).

I use this with Holland's current gameplay mod and the UML mod (paid) - the latter of which includes bespoke "fluid" formations, to try and brute-force better positioning despite the fairly dreadful positional AI.

Now... Does it mean I'm playing it non-stop and I'm madly in love with the game? Frankly, no.

It's the best it's ever been with the setup above, IMO. But does it add the variety of outcomes EAFC has in practically every way? No.

Shooting outcomes in particular feel really repetitive and dull, but also, the pitch is so massive that - despite the fact that teams try to press you like mad - they often don't get close before the ball is moved along.

However... The same test above, I use on EAFC too, and I wouldn't say it's great there either. Unmodded, it's extremely pace-centric, and modded - in order to make the game difficult (a necessity), especially on the higher difficulties - poor teams play beyond their abilities.

Also, on EAFC - the biggest test for me is getting a man sent off. It absolutely boils my piss how, blatantly, it makes absolutely no difference (especially to the AI team). It exposes the shortcomings really well - if one less man doesn't impact your attacking efficiency at all, you've got a huge problem with your game.

Bottom line, as ever... You play whatever has the least amount of stuff that makes you mad. Unfortunately, for me personally, both games do.

Funnily enough, I've found that the first true "fix" for this was released a short time ago - I posted about it here detailing one of my favourite tests.
Going to try that gameplay mod but I have to disagree on FC 24 modded gameplay making bad teams in legendary play like good teams. I have just beaten Luton Town 5-0 with Man City in Legendary in FC 24 and have also lost against Man City 4-1 whilst playing with Chelsea. Every match feels very different. Will see how much that new gameplay mod of PES 2021 have any impact.

It's an interesting conversation for sure. I think if this thread shows us anything, it's that we all have a much more broad scope for what is defined as 'realism' than we probably all thought. I've certainly found that from gameplay modding and hearing different people's opinions and feedback.
While that's true, I think there's a core list of things that the vast majority of "us" would agree is a minimum requirement to make future releases of EAFC enjoyable (without modding).

Off the top of my head, that might be - killing 1v1 so that it's a team-based game, footplanting over insta-responsiveness, and getting rid of the gamified "faked" physics designed to reward players for tackling etc.

The exact pace of the game, how aggressive the AI presses, how much error is on passes etc. there's definitely a lot of personal preferences for (even within realism mod discussion areas) - but even then I'd say there are at least broad answers we'd agree on (i.e. slower, more and more).

I don't like the idea of giving EA an excuse* by saying "we all want different things" - when we all broadly want the same things.

*Not that I'm suggesting you are, obviously - especially not when you've spent hundreds of hours modding their game so that people like us can get any enjoyment out of it...

While that's true, I think there's a core list of things that the vast majority of "us" would agree is a minimum requirement to make future releases of EAFC enjoyable (without modding).

Off the top of my head, that might be - killing 1v1 so that it's a team-based game, footplanting over insta-responsiveness, and getting rid of the gamified "faked" physics designed to reward players for tackling etc.

The exact pace of the game, how aggressive the AI presses, how much error is on passes etc. there's definitely a lot of personal preferences for (even within realism mod discussion areas) - but even then I'd say there are at least broad answers we'd agree on (i.e. slower, more and more).

I don't like the idea of giving EA an excuse* by saying "we all want different things" - when we all broadly want the same things.

*Not that I'm suggesting you are, obviously - especially not when you've spent hundreds of hours modding their game so that people like us can get any enjoyment out of it...
Oh no doubt about that for sure. There’s definitely a core list!

Ideally we get it all, but at the moment though, based on where we’re at, we kind of have two camps. If good movement = everyone moves the same/plays the same and bad movement = more player/game variety, then there’s going to be a lot of debate about which one is better. To be clear though, I’m not referring to EA’s vanilla style movement. There’s not enough differentiation in that anyway, it’s just all generally bad haha.

It’s so unbelievably clear that EA need to separate their gameplay to online/offline.

If you had a god-tier modder who could add any mods to any game, what game would you guys give him to work on? For me, FIFA 17's attacking AI makes it an easy choice.

If you had a god-tier modder who could add any mods to any game, what game would you guys give him to work on? For me, FIFA 17's attacking AI makes it an easy choice.
Let's say it like this, let's suppose I had a genius reverse engineering specialist or even better, that I could choose someone with access to the code of any football game and skill enough as to change things, I'd probably go for EA FC 24. Simply because even when vanilla design is way worse, the technology behind the game is way more advanced.

Let's say it like this, let's suppose I had a genius reverse engineering specialist or even better, that I could choose someone with access to the code of any football game and skill enough as to change things, I'd probably go for EA FC 24. Simply because even when vanilla design is way worse, the technology behind the game is way more advanced.
Only because of Hypermotion? I'd choose a game without that.

So instead of going for a remaster of something like FIFA 16 or PES 6 so they could make improved graphics and they already have great gameplay, you'd choose something that only resembles football from screenshots but plays like pinball wizard among blind midfield players? Interesting.

Only because of Hypermotion? I'd choose a game without that.
So instead of going for a remaster of something like FIFA 16 or PES 6 so they could make improved graphics and they already have great gameplay, you'd choose something that only resembles football from screenshots but plays like pinball wizard among blind midfield players? Interesting.
He's purely talking about how much potential there is in the code when so much is being calculated. He even says the vanilla game is awful.

When you open the game up with modding tools and you see how much deeper things are - that's the code-base he would choose to work with.

@TheWolf You mention FIFA 16 - that's my all-time favourite and I don't think any other game will ever come close to it.

But if you started to work on that, you'd have a hell of a lot of work to add in the level of "stuff" EAFC has under the hood that you could (in a dream world) utilise and make realistic, instead of on-rails.

EAFC, on a technical level (the variety of outcomes, for example) does some things better than 16 does. Shot physics are wildly more varied. Goalkeepers are really organic (and in 16, goalkeepers are incredibly predictable - you know where you can score from and where you absolutely cannot score from).

Unfortunately, every element of the game is tuned for the twitch-shooter FUT-playing eSports-bros, because as this article shows, that's where the most locked-in-for-life audiences are, and where the big microtransaction money is.

But if you could access every element of the code of EAFC and tweak it to a real-world gravity / human capability level, and give AI defenders their brains back - it would be incredible. It would be the best football game of all-time by a long way. It would be 16, but deeper.

Hypermotion, as it stands (and as @crabshank said), is a negative right now IMO. The way it uses animation blending to warp human bodies (and response times) in impossible ways in order to ensure the player's input is never "wrong", I can't stomach. But for every 9/10 moments you see it "kick in" and you think "how is this 2024, a player has just kicked through their own standing leg and the ball flew through the keeper's head"...

...there's one moment, where e.g. you see a sprinting player stretch a leg behind him to "scoop" a loose ball away from an opponent and knock it forward in his stride to run through on goal, where you can say "wow, that's genuinely amazing".

And that's what we're talking about here - not what the better game is (FIFA 16, hands down, every day of the week for me), but what could be turned into the best game (not by modders, who can only tweak what's already there, but by developers who could change everything).

Would I rather have a "tweaked" FIFA 16 or a game with an extra ~10 year's worth of development? I'm sick of playing the same game over and over - I want a football game revolution. That for me could only be achieved with the code of EAFC, set to "sim" mode.

In a world of so many simulators (from racing games to truck driving for God's sake), it's about time we got a football one.

He's purely talking about how much potential there is in the code when so much is being calculated. He even says the vanilla game is awful.

When you open the game up with modding tools and you see how much deeper things are - that's the code-base he would choose to work with.

@TheWolf You mention FIFA 16 - that's my all-time favourite and I don't think any other game will ever come close to it.

But if you started to work on that, you'd have a hell of a lot of work to add in the level of "stuff" EAFC has under the hood that you could (in a dream world) utilise and make realistic, instead of on-rails.

EAFC, on a technical level (the variety of outcomes, for example) does some things better than 16 does. Shot physics are wildly more varied. Goalkeepers are really organic (and in 16, goalkeepers are incredibly predictable - you know where you can score from and where you absolutely cannot score from).

Unfortunately, every element of the game is tuned for the twitch-shooter FUT-playing eSports-bros, because as this article shows, that's where the most locked-in-for-life audiences are, and where the big microtransaction money is.

But if you could access every element of the code of EAFC and tweak it to a real-world gravity / human capability level, and give AI defenders their brains back - it would be incredible. It would be the best football game of all-time by a long way. It would be 16, but deeper.

Hypermotion, as it stands (and as @crabshank said), is a negative right now IMO. The way it uses animation blending to warp human bodies (and response times) in impossible ways in order to ensure the player's input is never "wrong", I can't stomach. But for every 9/10 moments you see it "kick in" and you think "how is this 2024, a player has just kicked through their own standing leg and the ball flew through the keeper's head"...

...there's one moment, where e.g. you see a sprinting player stretch a leg behind him to "scoop" a loose ball away from an opponent and knock it forward in his stride to run through on goal, where you can say "wow, that's genuinely amazing".

And that's what we're talking about here - not what the better game is (FIFA 16, hands down, every day of the week for me), but what could be turned into the best game (not by modders, who can only tweak what's already there, but by developers who could change everything).

Would I rather have a "tweaked" FIFA 16 or a game with an extra ~10 year's worth of development? I'm sick of playing the same game over and over - I want a football game revolution. That for me could only be achieved with the code of EAFC, set to "sim" mode.

In a world of so many simulators (from racing games to truck driving for God's sake), it's about time we got a football one.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I chose 17 because it's clearly the best Frostbite FIFA and the graphics are better than 16's cartoon-y look IMO. The L-runs of the attackers can be easily expanded upon and The Journey could be modded too. I think pre-canned animations can be expaned and give better results than Hypermotion.

I think the mods like Anth does mostly tweak the same variables that EA does for their Title Updates, and my hypothetical modder could go way beyond that (EA admitted that they can't program Frostbite that much).

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I chose 17 because it's clearly the best Frostbite FIFA and the graphics are better than 16's cartoon-y look IMO. The L-runs of the attackers can be easily expanded upon and The Journey could be modded too. I think pre-canned animations can be expaned and give better results than Hypermotion.

I think the mods like Anth does mostly tweak the same variables that EA does for their Title Updates, and my hypothetical modder could go way beyond that (EA admitted that they can't program Frostbite that much).
@Chris Davies already gave an explanation. Is not only about Hypermotion, but about many other things. About Hypermotion, it is already quite tweakable through moddin, and although I consider there could be better systems, you can already tweak it enough as to have somewhat a more grounded and realistic GP, only by changing calues, I don't want to imagine what could be changed into if we had access to code.

I don't think you even realise what having acces to the code means. It would be literally being able to change the game as a whole.

Let me explain myself. With code acces, doesn't mind FIFA 16, 17 or 23. You could turn any of those games into a SIM if you have the skill enough as to do so. Is just that FIFA 23 or EA FC 24 has systems under the hood, as Chris said, that FIFA 16 doesn't. Beware that I don't discard I would also bring back certain things from FIFA 16 or 17 or whichever other that might had disappeared in this new ones, but in general, EA FC 24 had more POTENTIAL AND SYSTEMS built in than FIFA 16, and let's not say PES 6, which is a great game but obviously has nothing to do with modern games. 8 directions control system instead of 360° , the ball is glued to the feet of the players

We joking or what? Is equally obvious the fact that we have better technology nowadays, as it is obvious that there was better intentions before. And still though, for me both FIFA and PES has always been games where you want to play direct and not sleep the game, there were never games which suited a slow build up. Those moments where you take your time passing it between the center backs, where you stop the ball and the center forward might or might not press, where it takes a time to press you, where not always wants to go full sprint, etc..., all this is part of football as well. Football is not only the game in the areas, neither only passing through lanes. Is cooking up that pass that breaks several lanes of pressure, is cooking up the combination waiting for your players to place in the correct position, temporizing the game, knowing when to stop and when to fasten up.

There's not only a single timing in football, and while playing always direct and as fast as possible is the simple way to work, actually, pausing the game, playing like teams like Guardiola's Barcelona or M. City, or 2010 Spain team, is a way of playing that is maybe a bitore difficult to learn but that after learning is much more efficient and even effective. But you can't do that in any single existent game nowadays. And while maybe FIFA 16 is closer I'm terms of Vanilla gameplay to this timing, the reality is that EA FC 24 has much more things to work with.

Back
Top Bottom