Individual Awards - Golden Ball and Golden Boot

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
So I hear Torres has won the Golden Boot because even though 6 players ended with 3 goals, he had most assists not to mention he played only like 185 minutes or something.

But who won the golden ball (Best player of tournament?) Has it been announced? When will it be officially?

Before the final the two leading candidates were Iniesta and Pirlo. But many others had a good shout as well.

My best 11:

-Iker Casillas (SPA)

-Philipp Lahm (GER)
-Pepe (POR)
-Hummels (GER)
-Jordi Alba (SPA)

-Xabi Alonso (SPA)
-Andrea Pirlo (ITA)
-Moutinho (POR)

-Andrés Iniesta (SPA)
-Cristiano Ronaldo (POR)
-Mario Balotelli (ITA)

my best 11

-------------casillas------
coentrao---ramos--chiellini---alba
------------Busquets
Xavi-----------------------Pirlo
c.ronaldo----fabregas-----iniesta

This is my best.

Formation: 4-3-3 (Attacking)

-Casillas (ESP)

-Lahm (GER)
-Pepe (POR)
-Ramos (ESP)
-Alba (ESP)

-Xavi (ESP)
-Pirlo (ITA)
-Fabregas (ESP)

-Iniesta (ESP)
-Ronaldo (POR)
-Torres (ESP)

Formation: 4-3-3 (Defensive)

-Casillas (ESP)

-Lahm (GER)
-Pepe (POR)
-Hummels (GER)
-Alba (ESP)

-Xabi Alonso (ESP)
-Xavi (ESP)
-Pirlo (ITA)

-Iniesta (ESP)
-Ronaldo (POR)
-Fabregas (ESP)

Hummels was fantastic too.
And then the Cech LMF, he was the sensation of the tournament for me.

my best 11

-Andriy Pyatov

-Oleh Husyev
-Taras Mykhalyk
-Yevhen Khacheridi
-Yevhen Selin

-Anatoliy Tymoshchuk
-Marko Dević

-Andriy Yarmolenko
-Mesut Özil
-Yevhen Konoplyanka

-Andriy Shevchenko

My best eleven of this tournament (4-3-3 with Ronaldo as hanging forward):

GK: Manuel Neuer

Defenders: Fabio Coentrao - Mats Hummels - Sergio Ramos - Jordi Alba

Midfield: Sami Khedira - Andres Iniesta - Andrea Pirlo

Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo - Fernando Torres - Mario Ballotelli

My eleven:

Rui Patricio

Lahm - Pepe - S.Ramos - F.Coentrao

Fabregas - Moutinho - Iniesta - Pirlo - J. Alba

Ronaldo

Last edited:
I don't make a best eleven, because one has the tendency to take players from the last 4 teams (and yes they have plenty of good players), but tends to forget the players who did well in the group stages. Ukraïne had a couple of good players, both SMF's and their RB. The LMF of the Cech republic.

And i forget plenty of others: Debuchy, Cabaye, Wellbeck, Arshavin,....

I don't make a best eleven, because one has the tendency to take players from the last 4 teams (and yes they have plenty of good players), but tends to forget the players who did well in the group stages. Ukraïne had a couple of good players, both SMF's and their RB. The LMF of the Cech republic.

And i forget plenty of others: Debuchy, Cabaye, Wellbeck, Arshavin,....

Cmon Gerd, you can make a "low-profile" squad instead. :P

Here is mine:

GK - Stipe Pletikosa
RB - Theodor G. Selassie
CB - Kyriakos Papadopoulos
CB - Simon Kjær
LB - Martin Olsson
CM - Roman Shirokov
CM - Ludovic Obraniak
LW - Yevhen Konoplyanka
RW - Andriy Yarmolenko
ST - Michael Krohn-Dehli
ST - Mario Mandžukić

azur e _anderson

Que "tuguisse" é essa, vamos enaltecer o que é portugues

João Pereira = Lahm

Exactly J. Pereira did well in Euros but comparing him to Lahm is crazy especially since the German captain was very good this tournament again except in semi final against Italy where he made a couple costly mistakes.

Anyway congratulations to Andres Iniesta who has won Best player of the tournament and is probably THE MOST HUMBLE footballer I've ever seen!

This guy doesn't even CARE about winning individual awards. He seems to not evne think he's that good lol. I saw interviews with him. Very strange and modest guy. GREAT footballer. Always there for big occasions.

Personally I woulda went for Pirlo, Iniesta is a genius and came to the fore obviously in the final, but for me Pirlo was more influential leading to the final. Seeing him with tears in his eyes as the Spanish players celebrated was my saddest moment of the tournie right enough, would have liked Italy to have won it for him, not sure why, just did.

My best 11:-

GK- Casilla
LB - Contreau (sp?)
RB - Debauchy
CD - Pepe
CD - Ramos
MID - Iniesta
MID - Pirlo
MID - Moutinho
MID - Polish Captain - Blaznaciek (or whatever he is called)
MID - Jiracek
I really can't find 2 attackers, as didn't think there was really any good forwards, so just 1 up front for me:-
FOR - Ronaldo

FD

Oks, here my best 11 of the tournament:

1- Casillas
2- Buffon
2- Lahm
3- Hummels
4- Ramos
5- Jordi Alba
6- Coentrao
7- Busquets
8- Khedira
9- Xavi
10- Iniesta
11- Cesc
12- Pirlo
13- Mandzukic
14- Xabi Alonso
15- Moutinho
16- C. Ronaldo
17- Chiellini
18- Cassano

Yep, it's not my best 11, but my best 17. Those were the ones who had more impact in the games I WATCHED. I missed some games, so who knows...

My player of the tournament would be Xavi or Iniesta, and Pirlo 3rd. Players like those are born very rarely. What Xavi does in the pitch, no one can, the way he can keep possession and suddenly sting with a magic pass. And Iniesta is probably the best player ever who can't score and hardly assists. I wrote about it in the Barcelona thread. He hardly has an impact in numbers, but you have to watch it to understand it. I think they are the most skilled players I've seen. Ronaldinho and the likes of Okocha could be very flashy, but I haven't seen Xavi or Iniesta missing a first touch, or loosing possession easily.

I'm obsessed with first touch in football, and Pirlo is extremely talented and has a great long passing, but he lacks that extra-skill those 2 have to get out of extremely dangerous and packed situations.

PS: One of the reasons Xavi is so good at very tiny spaces is because when he was a child he spent hours in his garden playing with his dog. To protect the ball from his dog he had to circle a lot and develop an instinct on how the dog would try to circle him. Try to imagine the movements of Xavi in the midfield and you'll quickly realize that's what he does. So, do you have a son who wants to improve his skill? Buy him a dog (or 2)!

Last edited:
Iniesta is definitely my favourite player. I've liked him for years now. I remember years ago when I told my fried I'd love to see Iniesta at United and he's the best midfielder for me, he laughed hard.

Jiráček from Czech republic deserves also mention...he is next Nedvěd for me...runs like crazy, defends - attacks...fights...remindes me of Nedvěd style a lot, and not just becouse the long hair only..

Wasn't Nedved much more energetic though? Plus his love of shooting from distance. Miss that guy.

Jiráček from Czech republic deserves also mention...he is next Nedvěd for me...runs like crazy, defends - attacks...fights...remindes me of Nedvěd style a lot, and not just becouse the long hair only..

Honestly, he's far from being Nedved. Him & Pilar got a bit overrated. Euro effect, i think. :)

My best XI would be:

----------------------------Casillas
Debuchy----Hummels----------Piqué-------Alba
--------------------Xavi-------------Pirlo
--Ozil--------------------Iniesta--------------Pilars
---------------------------C.Ronaldo

And Torres as a wonder-sub!

Player of the Tournament for me is still Ozil, despite knowing everyone will disagree :)

Wasn't Nedved much more energetic though? Plus his love of shooting from distance. Miss that guy.

I agree, he's one of my all time favourite players. I think the late Juve Nedved wasn't much of a long ranger like his younger years, but still a legend.

I remember Euro 2004 when the Czech team was absolutely breathtaking to watch. Poborsky, Rosicky, Nedved, Koller, Baros, Smicer etc.

Exactly J. Pereira did well in Euros but comparing him to Lahm is crazy especially since the German captain was very good this tournament again except in semi final against Italy where he made a couple costly mistakes.
Et voila, i speak about Euro, Lahm out of the tournament by the little door, but Joao Pereira do well in all games.

Lahm had a bad game against Italy but I thought he was very good in the other ones especially against Greece.

Anyway, Debuchy was also great in my opinion and better than most other RB's including J. Pereira who did well.

Honestly, he's far from being Nedved. Him & Pilar got a bit overrated. Euro effect, i think. :)

i know, but he is only 26 and i think a player the national team of Czech republic missed since Nedvěd retired...

Nedvěd was his age when playing for Lazio still..

Nedvěd reached his peak at Juventus winning golden ball in 2003 when he was 31, Jiráček has still 5 years to that age.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom