Halo 3 - Official Topic

Needler, again they have reduced its power, and can no longer be dual wielded..... tis hardly even worth using on Grunts!!!

:shock: Reduced? The reason it can't be dual wielded anymore is because they've increased its power! I hate the Needlers on Halo 2, they were wank IMO. But on Halo 3, they're amazing

It was after 1 in the morning, but I didnt feel that it was getting the job done, I was just bitch slapping people with it, more play time needed then. Personnel choice of the Needlers in 2 then, but you couldnt beat dual wielding it with a Plasma Rifle or another Needler, in my own opinion of course. ;)

Coopz, yes it is similar, anyone who comes on here and bitches it aint different enough cant, we are on the 7th full release of PES, plus 2 ISS's and dear knows how many WE and variants, yet they accept it plays similar, sports game or not. Halo has been a fun series, one I have enjoyed.

I take what i said back because multiplayer c-op is unbelievable

it has to be on Legendary though because the enemies are smart and deadly

Riding in the Warthog with 3 of your mates is the best thing ever :)

Pretty predictable response from me but I don't like it. In a game like Halo immersion is key and when the first human I see has wooden blocks for ears it doesn't help. Graphics are poor (sorry but they are) and there's a lack of options, co-op would be much better if you could split the screen horizontally (especially if you have a widescreen - more room). Gameplay is same old same old, your health is a bit more "realistic" but overall I just feel like I've been there and done it. Not worth £40 (unless you love the multiplayer) in my opinion but I will finish the game in co-op as it's one of the few games that offers it properly on 360.

Pretty predictable response from me but I don't like it. In a game like Halo immersion is key and when the first human I see has wooden blocks for ears it doesn't help. Graphics are poor (sorry but they are) and there's a lack of options, co-op would be much better if you could split the screen horizontally (especially if you have a widescreen - more room). Gameplay is same old same old, your health is a bit more "realistic" but overall I just feel like I've been there and done it. Not worth £40 (unless you love the multiplayer) in my opinion but I will finish the game in co-op as it's one of the few games that offers it properly on 360.

Mate i agree with you. Same old same old really.

Roll on Orange box.

Anyway has anyone received there Game.net order? Mine has not arrived. I have one from Shoto but i need to return the game one.

all i like is co-op, i wont be playing the game again after i have finished it

i just had a team slayer and it was so boring it was unreal

We have just done me and 6 of my mates v 7 randoms and it was ace.

The smaller levels are better as they are more action packed and frenzied. Multiplayer is where its at for this game. I will complete campaign mode then do it with mates then its all about the multiplayer. Its longetivity is incredible.

LOL I had me and the lads today on it, pretty much all day, 4 people from one and it is absolutely AMAZING.

It is amazing fun, against eachother on rumble pit, or on the same team, its an amazing experience, I cannot see how people find it boring, you are in there and pretty much in action all the time, you can play it how you want to, you can go in gun blazing, or step off, and pop off people one at a time. The vehicles are amazing, and it can get so hectic! All the talk over the mic is amazing aswell, all the banter is ace (although some can take it beyond that and get irritating) that is mainly the slayer games, we played a lot of rumble pit, but the team games are just as amazing, if you arent co-ordinated you will fail, although you can still have a lucky bash at running in and trying to kill the VIP or planting the bomb.

Also Jack, horizontal, if the screen is split you actually lose some of thepicture on either side, cause if you play online with 3 players, the bottom two are full and the top you have black space either side, infact even with 2 player online, as mine was split horizontally then.

The graphics for single player are great and bad, the lighting and environments I believe are beautiful so are the covenant well mostle and th weapons look nice, but the people dont look great, and as good as you would expect from the Halo game :( Keyes looks worse in 3 than she did in 2 :P

Gameplay is same old same old? Well I would expect so, its still a Halo game, shows it hasnt lost its touched, well online this game cannot be beaten, it is so great, for me it feels so different, trying to learn the new maps the weapons and this is day one :D

Team swords is class with mates aswell :P

So I was finally able to play Halo 3 last night for 90mins, here are my initial impressions.

I really enjoy the Halo series so it is no surprise that I am enjoying Halo 3. Being the 3rd in the series it isn't going to revolutionise the genre but it does enhance the core game mechanics from the previous games.

Starting out with a pretty cool opening cutscene I was immediately impressed with the visuals. The human character models (up close) are not the best, but the Chief and Arbiter look fantastic, as do the environments. The opening jungle environment is densly populated, superbly lit and make use of great particle effects. The art design is great and I personally can't understand anyone who bashes the visuals, each to their own.

Gameplay wise it is typical Halo. At first I hated having the Arbiter pushing forward as I wanted to go at my own pace. At one point he also dissapeared entirely, I still don't know if that is meant to happen or not? Playing on legendary is a great challenge. At one point I was severely low on ammo (1 carbine shot, 6 brute shots and an energy sword) and had to go up against 4 snipers, a brute and 6-8 grunts. It took many attempts and I had to execute the sequence in perfect fashion to make it through, great fun.

So far I am really enjoying it and I am looking forward to playing some more tonight. I haven't looked at MP, Forge, saved films & photomode yet, so I have all that to look forward to.

I wouldn't give it a ten honestly it's a great game but not anything amazing.
At the same time they gave Metroid Prime 3 a massive 7 whereas most other reviewers loved it.
I'm looking forward to Orange Box more and COD4 they will end up better than this despite the raving reviews.
It's too bad UT3 isn't out on the 360 this year cos that looks better too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't give it a ten honestly it's a great game but not anything amazing.
At the same time they gave Metroid Prime 3 a massive 7 whereas most other reviewers loved it.
I'm looking forward to Orange Box more and COD4 they will end up better than this despite the raving reviews.
It's too bad UT3 isn't out on the 360 this year cos that looks better too.

Its all about Orange Box & COD4

Too bad neither will get a 10

Who cares about review scores? And to be fair, 10/10 does not mean perfection. Many movies get rated 5*'s, but does that mean they are perfect? No. It just means they offer fantastic entertainment. If you are a fan of Halo, or if you can appreciate game content then Halo 3 absolutely deserves 9's and 10's because it offers entertainment in spades.

It is all subjective at the end of the day, people get too bent out of shape over magazine scores. Personally to me, Halo3 is better than Bioshock. I found Bio gorgeous to look at, but extremely boring and lifeless to play. I do however appreciate why it has got such high review scores, I'm just into it as much as others.

Halo 3 garners $170 million in US first day, breaks records

Microsoft has just sent word that its flagship soldier Master Chief has come back from the battlefield with $170 million dollars in the first 24 hours of Halo 3 deployment in the United States. As noted, this would mark the biggest day in US entertainment history, beating out Spider-Man 3 and all Harry Potters (of course, the price of entry for those events were a lot less, but that's a technicality when it comes to record books).

According to the press release, September 25 was also Xbox Live's most active day so far, thanks in no small part to one million online Halo 3 players. Bundled with every copy of Halo 3 was a free 48 hour trial, so we're interested in seeing how many people tomorrow decide to pay the Gold fee and keep on fragging.

We're eagerly awaiting the sales figures for the game elsewhere in the world, especially Japan.

japan halo 3 launch

Tempered Halo 3 Japanese Mid-Morning Launch Madness

After cruising up and down the main drag of Akihabara and finding little in the way of lines, we hoofed it back to Yodobashi Akiba to catch up with the manageable crowd. The TV games occupy the sixth floor of the building, so we where wheezing and sweating after a series of intense escalator rides. Surprisingly enough, there was a bit of a morning rush. Throngs? No, but we weren't expecting throngs. Just the presence of hardcore Japanese gamers who have a taste for first person shooters and reject the national opinion of the Xbox.

Yen and Halo 3 limited edition Xbox 360s exchanged hands at a moderate pace, with a handful of gamers simply opting for the game and the Halo 3 branded controllers.

In Japan, the Halo 3 Limited Edition version was the way to go. For an affordable 6270 yen (approximately $55 USD), Japanese gamers get the nice packaging and fan service bonuses with their Japanese voice acted Master Chief. That's a pretty good deal, I'd say.

Most of the transactions, however, we for the Spartan colored console itself. While many gamers were on hand to pick up any number of things, from the day's other releases like Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus and the recently shipped Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu, plenty were walking out with big bags packed with Halo 3 stuff.

Flynn, Cheapy D and I had varying estimates on the percentage of those picking up something Halo 3-ish, but we hovered around the twenty percent range.

The checkout line was dense at 9:45, but tapered off to regular morning levels by around 10:30. We'll have to wait for the official Media Create numbers for Halo 3 weekly sales to show up, but while it wasn't madness at any point, the game certainly wasn't ignored.

^^^ You can't!

Click for hi-res
takingaimsmallvb2.jpg

A moment early in the game which I really enjoyed. I was pissed at this Brute beating the hell out of one of my Marines, so I took aim!

I seriously recommend checking out the Bungie Favourites stuff and downloading the game type Rocket Race and the corresponding maps, me and a few mates had an awesome time with it tonight;amazingly fun multiplayer mode.

I could care less about review scores, the text itself however is interesting, and I wholeheartedly agree with the Edge review. The final paragraph sums it up nicely for me:

"The total lack of compromise in each and every single detail is breathtaking. Everything works with precision, everything is set up the same way, every barrier within reason has been lifted, and you never need to do any of it alone. Halo 3 was built to be used, built to be shared, built to be loved and built to last. It's a safe bet that it will still be enjoyed by a thriving community years from now. In substance it's nothing new, merely a magnificent, beautiful monster if an FPS sequel. In concept and execution, though, Halo 3 is the future."

I have played most campaign missions several times, through once on single-player and multiple co-op games on different levels with scoring on and each and every time I find it to be very, very fun. I really enjoy taking down the scarabs, especially with scoring on making it essentially a race to drop each one for the points. The other multiplayer aspects are great, as expected, I love the ease I can invite friends to a party and be able to go and play pretty much every mode in the game without having to reinvite people after every game, change of gametype or game mode.

Last edited:
Only started playing single player today. my copy is chinese so I got chinese voices with english subtitles.

I am actually loving the game. have not tried co-op campaign so will do that later.

Managed to finish this over the weekend....I must promise myself not to sacrifice my weekends for games anymore - I could have done so much more with my time(!) :(

Brilliant game though. My thoughts (contains some spoilers!):

Absolutely loved the whole experience. Destroying those massive Mech spiders were definitely the highlight of the game for me.

BUT....I cannot stand that damn FLOOD. They ruined Halo and Halo 2 for me - and it nearly did so for Halo 3. I personally think the story could do without them tbh - the writers got lazy and randomly threw them into parts near the end for no reason tbh. Such a letdown.

Also, I don't get some parts of the story at all! I dunno whether it's because it is moving so fast but I had no clue why you had to help the FLOOD in defeating Truth, and then killing them again?!

I personally don't rate the Halo story tbh - the ending was proper shabby too. The music is brilliant though - as were the mech spiders as mentioned previously ;)

Managed to finish this over the weekend....I must promise myself not to sacrifice my weekends for games anymore - I could have done so much more with my time(!) :(

Brilliant game though. My thoughts (contains some spoilers!):

Absolutely loved the whole experience. Destroying those massive Mech spiders were definitely the highlight of the game for me.

BUT....I cannot stand that damn FLOOD. They ruined Halo and Halo 2 for me - and it nearly did so for Halo 3. I personally think the story could do without them tbh - the writers got lazy and randomly threw them into parts near the end for no reason tbh. Such a letdown.

Also, I don't get some parts of the story at all! I dunno whether it's because it is moving so fast but I had no clue why you had to help the FLOOD in defeating Truth, and then killing them again?!

I personally don't rate the Halo story tbh - the ending was proper shabby too. The music is brilliant though - as were the mech spiders as mentioned previously ;)

The Flood help you in killing Truth because you both share a common interest - stopping Truth from lighting the rings, which would destroy both humanity and the Flood. However, after Truth dies The Flood are still dicks and must be stopped.

I am not a massive fan of the Flood levels in the other Halo's either, but I thought the first couple were awesome in this game. The only one I really disliked was 'Cortana', frustrating as hell that level but then I think it is the only one in the whole game I did not enjoy 100%.

I am not a massive fan of the Flood levels in the other Halo's either, but I thought the first couple were awesome in this game. The only one I really disliked was 'Cortana', frustrating as hell that level but then I think it is the only one in the whole game I did not enjoy 100%.
Don't think what I'm saying needs a spoiler tag, I won't mention the plot...

I hated that level as well, and I had an issue where the achievements fucked up (first time that's ever happened to me with any game). I got the achievements for all bar two chapters, the fifth and the eighth - although the descriptions in the achievements list don't match the descriptions of the chapters in-game. I was not happy at having to do that bloody level all over again.

I had that happen too but on The Covenant, which is a fantastic level. I think it happens when you stop halfway and start again from the checkpoints within a level.

Best bit of that particularly level was towards the end, when the Arbiter showed up, I thought he was awesome in this game

Have not tried it on live yet as Fifa 08 and Bioshock is still running strong here. But the game was fun but it seemed to short, It felt like it was over before it even really started, or is it just me?

People are saying it's a short game yep. I might pick it up at the end of the month, I've found loads of copies on eBay already for averaging £28 delivered.

Have not tried it on live yet as Fifa 08 and Bioshock is still running strong here. But the game was fun but it seemed to short, It felt like it was over before it even really started, or is it just me?
Exactly how I felt, I wasn't having a lot of fun until the last mission and I thought "yes, this is where the fun starts, I might actually like this" ... and then it stopped. :|

People say "ah but it's an online game really" - oh right, okay. Knock £20 off the price then you money-grabbing c...

Back
Top Bottom