[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

While I'm here I wanted to add that Max Payne 3 is the best third person shooter I played. Missed it entirely when it came out and been playing it between other games in recent days. It still holds well and it has the most satisfying gunplay I have ever experienced.
It's actually weird to think that there aren't many (any??) solid third person shooters on the market. At least not when it comes to semi-realistic gun play, with good gore and no bullet sponging.

While I'm here I wanted to add that Max Payne 3 is the best third person shooter I played. Missed it entirely when it came out and been playing it between other games in recent days. It still holds well and it has the most satisfying gunplay I have ever experienced.
It's actually weird to think that there aren't many (any??) solid third person shooters on the market. At least not when it comes to semi-realistic gun play, with good gore and no bullet sponging.
I haven't played it yet (got it for PS3 though). I didn't want to "spoil" the memory of 1 and 2 (two great games in my opinion).
That's the same reason I haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet.

Vampire Survivors.
The first bunch of rounds I hardly survived 5 minutes, but after collecting gold and levelling up between the rounds it got better. After some google research I learned what weapons and artefacts work together and now I'm a fucking vampire slayer (not as cute as Buffy though). Been really sucked into it lately.

haven't played it yet (got it for PS3 though). I didn't want to "spoil" the memory of 1 and 2 (two great games in my opinion
For me it was the best in the series. When Rockstar was still a savage studio with great passion for games.
The way it's directed feels like Tony Scott "Man on Fire".
Fantastic game.
Unfortunately I don't think you can play it on PS5.
Xbox X is fully backwards compatible, so I could easily get it and play it there.
But I looked at PS store the other day and it wasn't on it.

For me it was the best in the series. When Rockstar was still a savage studio with great passion for games.
The way it's directed feels like Tony Scott "Man on Fire".
Fantastic game.
Unfortunately I don't think you can play it on PS5.
Xbox X is fully backwards compatible, so I could easily get it and play it there.
But I looked at PS store the other day and it wasn't on it.
I still have my PS3. I don't remember the last time I used it but it's still there waiting. Thanks!

So guys, whats your worst gaming series?
Either from the start or has developed poorly?
Me, Assasins Creed
Cant stand the fighting and ai of that game series.
And from great to bad, Far Cry

And if its OT, feel free to move this

Rise of The Tomb Raider.
Played it once, still love the story and action in that game.
To me the best one in the series

Funny you mention it I never got far in it but have it on PC and wanted it on xbox to couch play. Its coming to gamepass in the comiung weeks (I think it was there previously? Or maybe I had it on Stadia cant remember) . Will see if I can plow through the first minutes as I enjoyed the first reboot and it seems the general consensus is this one is better.

Funny you mention it I never got far in it but have it on PC and wanted it on xbox to couch play. Its coming to gamepass in the comiung weeks (I think it was there previously? Or maybe I had it on Stadia cant remember) . Will see if I can plow through the first minutes as I enjoyed the first reboot and it seems the general consensus is this one is better.
Think all three are good, but this is the real goat for me.
Enjoy pal

Think all three are good, but this is the real goat for me.
Enjoy pal
I don't know which one I played.
Bought a trilogy, finished first one and played half of the second before I got tired.
It was very samey and unexciting..

Assasins Creed
I have love/hate relation with new Assassin's..
Love the vast open world and the fact that you can meet historical figures there. Awesome blend of fantasy and history.
But my God how bloated these worlds are.. I have to do play them in parts. Pump 10 hours and rest for a few months before I come back.

Also - the amount of shite on your screen is ridiculous. I have to spend some time in settings and turn everything off before I even start.

AC Odyssey was most disappointing for me. On paper I should love it the most, coz I love Greek mythology. But combat was fucking diabolical. You had this Perfect Dodge or something. And if you dodged in the right moment - time was slowing down. So you were dealing 20 hit combos before normal fight would resume. Ridiculous looking, really shitty mechanism that you can't turn off.
Hated it and it killed the game for me.

Horrible game series?
FIFA, obviously. With the amount of money and resources - they should be delivering perfect simulation of football for years now. Instead they are delivering a joke - insulting caricature of the sport that so many love.

Non football - Battlefield. What they did to this, once great series, is criminal. Used to be fantastic shooter with great maps and destructible environment where it felt like you were part of huge battles. Now it's Call of Duty wannabe with jetpacks and other stupid shit.

"Honourable" mention to Hitman series. One of the most clunky, shitty movement animations in video games. Amazes me how the movement and controls did not improve in the slightest since Hitman 2 Silent Assassin (2002). At least Silent Assassin had awesome ragdoll physics and amazing blood splatters.

I don't know which one I played.
Bought a trilogy, finished first one and played half of the second before I got tired.
It was very samey and unexciting..

I have love/hate relation with new Assassin's..
Love the vast open world and the fact that you can meet historical figures there. Awesome blend of fantasy and history.
But my God how bloated these worlds are.. I have to do play them in parts. Pump 10 hours and rest for a few months before I come back.

Also - the amount of shite on your screen is ridiculous. I have to spend some time in settings and turn everything off before I even start.

AC Odyssey was most disappointing for me. On paper I should love it the most, coz I love Greek mythology. But combat was fucking diabolical. You had this Perfect Dodge or something. And if you dodged in the right moment - time was slowing down. So you were dealing 20 hit combos before normal fight would resume. Ridiculous looking, really shitty mechanism that you can't turn off.
Hated it and it killed the game for me.

Horrible game series?
FIFA, obviously. With the amount of money and resources - they should be delivering perfect simulation of football for years now. Instead they are delivering a joke - insulting caricature of the sport that so many love.

Non football - Battlefield. What they did to this, once great series, is criminal. Used to be fantastic shooter with great maps and destructible environment where it felt like you were part of huge battles. Now it's Call of Duty wannabe with jetpacks and other stupid shit.

"Honourable" mention to Hitman series. One of the most clunky, shitty movement animations in video games. Amazes me how the movement and controls did not improve in the slightest since Hitman 2 Silent Assassin (2002). At least Silent Assassin had awesome ragdoll physics and amazing blood splatters.
Wow. I think we have the same videogaming tastes. Absolutely agree with everything you said. I reckon you must be around my age also, mid 40s?

Bought today Alien: Isolation the collection and play it a bit. It is on sale in microsoft xbox store. It is so great atmosphaere in this game with the sounds. Makes so much fun on my TV with my 2.1 soundbar.

And really I'm not scared while playing it. :LIE:

Another one of the short games ticked off - "Observation".
It's on PS Plus. Solid Sci/Fi thriller. I would make a decent movie. You're an AI on International Space Station trying to put everything back together after an accident. Enjoyed it.

Me again.
This time "Beyond: Two Souls" is on the table. And I got to say.....I don't feel the love...

On paper it should be right down my alley. I thought I will love it... But it seems like Quantic Dreams are not as awesome as I thought they were.
Detroit Become Human was epic.
Mind-blowing.

Heavy Rain was shite. Gave up on it coz it was cringe, with awful voice acting.

And "Beyond..."...
It's a decent story, but it feels like they wanted to pack too much into it and it turned out just silly. There were few chapters, which I presume were supposed to be interesting and add a lot to a story, but at the end I was just thinking: "Well that was fucking stupid..."

I will finish it, coz I'm not far from the end, but looks like Detroit was made after they learned on their mistakes from Heavy Rain and Beyond. Which is good I suppose. Means they are going in the right direction.

Bit of MK 1 and Spider-Man 2. Only really played MK1 in the story mode but after skipping a couple of them it feels quite fresh. SM2 starts of rather slow but I am really getting into it now, there is an early mission involving Black Cat which was fantastic and the wingsuit is a game changer.

Me again.
This time "Beyond: Two Souls" is on the table. And I got to say.....I don't feel the love...

On paper it should be right down my alley. I thought I will love it... But it seems like Quantic Dreams are not as awesome as I thought they were.
Detroit Become Human was epic.
Mind-blowing.

Heavy Rain was shite. Gave up on it coz it was cringe, with awful voice acting.

And "Beyond..."...
It's a decent story, but it feels like they wanted to pack too much into it and it turned out just silly. There were few chapters, which I presume were supposed to be interesting and add a lot to a story, but at the end I was just thinking: "Well that was fucking stupid..."

I will finish it, coz I'm not far from the end, but looks like Detroit was made after they learned on their mistakes from Heavy Rain and Beyond. Which is good I suppose. Means they are going in the right direction.
Beyond Two Souls is the weakest of their 4 games. Have you played it with the chapters as it was initially released or by chronological order? It makes a big difference in your experience.
Detroit is their best game, second is Fahrenheit and third is Heavy Rain. So imo it's all about the script. Cage should hire some indie film writers and stay away from Hollywood clichés in his scenarios.

Have you played it with the chapters as it was initially released or by chronological order?
I'm playing the way it was originally released. Not sure is it good or bad. ;)

I need to check their new one as well - "Under the Waves".
If anything - it looks gorgeous.

I'm playing the way it was originally released. Not sure is it good or bad. ;)

I need to check their new one as well - "Under the Waves".
If anything - it looks gorgeous.
It's the worse way to play it. You need to play with chronological order chapters.

Last couple of days I wanted to have a rest from racing games, so I've been going through some small, short, indie ones.

Started from "Brothers - Take of Two Sons".
This was very good and quite an epic little journey, so I downloaded shit tons of similar cool little games I could find on gamepass and PS Extra.

And today I finished "Bramble - The mountain king". Holy fuck, guys, I was going into this game thinking it will be a magical, cute story about siblings lost in enchanted forest.
Things took such a dark turn and entire game gone so dark and creepy that I would say - It's a must play for anyone on Xbox.
It only took me around 5/6 hours to complete, so I'm not sure if 30quid price tag on Playstation is not a bit steep (especially since there is almost no replayability), but for those on Xbox - play it. just not with your kids around.
Seems like there will be a remake for Brothers.

Seems like there will be a remake for Brothers.
Hmm.. not sure how I feel about it. I loved the game, don't get me wrong, but it looked good. My only wish was that it was longer. I guess I'm just not sure whether it's worth to make a remake of this short game if it still hold up well and has no replayability value.
Would rather see a new game from the developers.

Hmm.. not sure how I feel about it. I loved the game, don't get me wrong, but it looked good. My only wish was that it was longer. I guess I'm just not sure whether it's worth to make a remake of this short game if it still hold up well and has no replayability value.
Would rather see a new game from the developers.
Unfortunately the game couldn't be longer because it follows a tight dramatic script. It's a bit of a surprise to me there's still no interest from some indie directors in adapting this script to a movie. Maybe it's too depressing for the audiences right now? I don't know.

Unfortunately the game couldn't be longer because it follows a tight dramatic script. It's a bit of a surprise to me there's still no interest from some indie directors in adapting this script to a movie. Maybe it's too depressing for the audiences right now? I don't know.
Check out "Bramble - The Mountain King", if you havent already.
Very similar, a bit more dark and creepy. Similar length, similar Scandinavian vibe. I liked it even more than "Brothers.."

Another one of the short games ticked off - "Observation".
It's on PS Plus. Solid Sci/Fi thriller. I would make a decent movie. You're an AI on International Space Station trying to put everything back together after an accident. Enjoyed it.
Played it and liked it as well

Witcher 3, but cant really get in to it.
Gonna give a proper go though
If you don't like the combat - my advice - drop the difficulty all the way down to the easiest, slice through hordes of enemies and just focus on the story.
Coz story is really really good.

If you don't like the combat - my advice - drop the difficulty all the way down to the easiest, slice through hordes of enemies and just focus on the story.
Coz story is really really good.
Yeah, its a bit confusing at times, spells or use the sword etc.
I think I want a more Skyrim/Kingdom come experience, just wandering the land and take missions when I want.
But I'm going to give it a proper go, cause I really want to play it
Thanks Marty

Back
Top Bottom