[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

Lost and the Damned but its just not grabbing me like Mafia 2

And the graphics are awful in comparison

I was thinking last night that the graphics in Mafia 2 are pretty poor actually. VERY jaggy and tons of pop-up, especially with cars just being drawn as you're driving along.

GTA had much better graphics IMO.

I didn't get that all on the 360 version. In fact, I'd say it was the other way around. The variety of textures (buildings, surroundings, cars, main characters and people living in the city), colours, weather effects and other effects i.e fire and explosions are superior in Mafia 2. It's a shame they toned these down on the PS3, but the PC and 360 versions look great.

The texture pop-in and blurriness in GTA was terrible at times. It also had a very washed out pallet. It was good at the time, but is dated now in comparison to modern sandbox games that have progressed so much.

Last edited:
Mafia 2 on my new pc looks absolutely astonishing. Lost and Damned was the worse of gta 4 for me, while Gay Tony was much better than the rest, even if the graphics begin to feel pretty dated. How quickly things change...

I was thinking last night that the graphics in Mafia 2 are pretty poor actually. VERY jaggy and tons of pop-up, especially with cars just being drawn as you're driving along.

GTA had much better graphics IMO.

Are you playing it on the PS3 or 360? The graphics on Mafia 2 beat GTA hands down in most areas especially when maxed out on the PC.

The graphics are a little jagged in Mafia 2 but i would prefer that then the washed out look as MJ says and no sharp edges at all so it all looks blurry which looks terrible on a big screen

Ill give the other DLC a go later and see if its just TLAD because GTA 4 didn't look this bad before im sure of it

Just had a look at reviews on TLAD and loads of people are complaining even with the noise filter off

It's not the filter. The graphics are BAD even with it cut off.. A significant downgrade from normal GTA4. It looks so bad I was afraid my TV was messed up. I had to load up a normal game just to make sure and the graphics there are still cool.

360 - Bully Scholarship Edition (Completed on ps2)
XBOX - None
PS3 - Batman Arkum Asylum (Completed 2nd Time), Tekken 6, Planet Mini Golf, Home, TV King Show
PS2 - Buzz
PC - Stacraft 2 (Completed)
PSP - None
WII - None

DS : GTA Chinatown Wars Finally finished this, well the missions anyhow, not sure I will go do much more, maybe devastation with the Tank for a laugh.

PSP : Gran Turismo Only done some licences, but overall, I'm impressed with how this game looks and feels!

XB360 : Halo 3 With Reach out in just over a week, and having finished the first 2 in the series, thought I should at least do more than the first level of this one. It's Halo, but man alive the Brutes are lethal, especially the Chieftains with the BanHammer!

PS3 - CoD 5: World at War.

It's a bit meh, it all looks nice enough but the generic enemy spawns are crap imo. Was in one of the earlier levels with the germans in the woods and killed everyone in a one room bunker. Turned around and stood in the doorway to continue and all of a sudden I'm being shot at from inside the bunker again! The guy spawned about 5m from me!

360 - Cod MW2 - single player complete ( trade in for HALO reach yesterday )
XBOX - None
PS3 - None
PS2 - None
PC - Mafia 2
PSP - None
WII - None

360 - Halo Reach - complete ( trade in for Guitar Hero 6), Gutiar Hero 6, Forza 3, Fable 2
XBOX - None
PS3 - None
PS2 - None
PC - Plants vs Zombies
PSP - None
WII - None

360: Castlevania LOS - amazing game with great music and graphics . with Alan Wake , Mafia2 , Castlevania : best games this year

XB360 :

COD:Black Ops done some singleplayer, but also am now Rank 19 on MP, which is totally unheard of for me. Had got the bug bad, but am trailing of abit now on it.

Need For Speed : Hot Pursuit tis good, but I dont think it's just as good as Burnout. The handling model feels too heavy for me compared to the earlier Criterion Games or even PGR series. I will crack on to some more of it.

PES 2011 : Just played a few matches online vs a mate yesterday, it's still not up there yet, so much so from playing it yesterday I want to try FIFA 11 now.

PSP :

FIFA World Cup 2010 Great little game this, was one of the free downloads on my Go, and it's totally hooking me in. All I'm playing so far is the Story of Qualifying option, which is reliving or trying to change history. Fun so far. Actually reminds me of PS2 PES's.

No, but it only cost me about a tenner to have both :P

I hear you on that, my girlfriend bought me a 360 last Christmas in addition to my PS3 and I've snapped up an absolute ton of classic games for under £5 each. Gears of War 1 & 2 just cost me £10 for both combined, and managed to pick up other games like Halo 3 etc for the price of a pre-packed sandwich. Nice!

Recently though I've been playing a lot of PES2011 (PS3), Battlefield Bad Company 2 online (360) and just finished Limbo (if you have a 360, get it, its a tiny independent game on xbox live but really cool).

Next up, I'm gonna give Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare a go, completed the original a while ago, simply love that game. I'm also picking up a copy of a game called Vanquish, it got huge review scores, the demo is amazing (if you liked GoW anyways) yet just a month after release everyone's selling it for just £15. Just goes to show how good marketing/branding can do over something critically acclaimed but no-one knows about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom