FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

There are only a limited number of options, and I'm starting to think "team styles" are partial mentality adjustments as opposed to entire-game, entire-pitch tactics. (Like "advanced instructions" in PES.)

For example - I keep mentioning Real Madrid, but... Their passing in the final third, in my demo experience, is just passing the ball around quickly and carefully until they set up an actual tap-in. But over the rest of the pitch I'd say they're the same as any other team.

So lower-league teams... I'd bet they're set to standard custom team tactics - which may no longer work, in order for "team styles" to have a more noticeable effect? In which case, they'll just play "to the difficulty level". So, Legendary = wonder-passing.

All of the above is conjecture, and pointless, I know, but... Aren't we all. :BORED:

Yes, I'm expecting a limited number of styles but EA's own promotion states:

"catenaccio to counter attack, quick passing to direct play, you'll see some of Europe's best clubs' playing styles authentically recreated and feel a change in defensive and attacking approaches every time you choose a new club or opponent"

So, "every time we choose a new club or opponent" (I read that as every team we play against, not just the few elite teams whose styles are supposedly being recreated), we'll "feel a change in defensive and attacking approaches", which will presumably be limited to possibly as few as 4 styles - "catenaccio to counter attack, quick passing to direct play".

And custom tactics either somehow work alongside those Team Styles, or are disabled to enable Team Styles. It seems to me that Custom Tactics was a great idea that were never really implemented in a meaningful, noticeable way, but had they been, they would have easily been able to capture Team Styles within their numerous settings.

Unfortunately for us, that assumption is being made by the developers.

This is the lead gameplay producer of FIFA 18, talking about FIFA 18...

SYcojHz.png

Here he is talking about FIFA 17, and the future...

FLQkeZz.png

So, in a nutshell...

giphy.gif

Meh, I learned ages ago to not get too worked up about what's said in the press.

Here's the thing - there's nothing inherently wrong or worrisome with what you've highlighted. But context is what's important.

And in the past, plenty of us did complain that the CPU held possession for too long, but that was a problem where they wouldn't move the ball forward quick enough from the CPU's backline, even when they weren't pressured. It was a real problem, they've clearly fixed that. And that's what I'm assuming he's referring to.

Then you do have the complaints that came from the online community that defending last year was too automated. I don't agree with that, but it's a valid criticism. The problem is they've overcompensated this year by tuning down your defenders' aggression. That could be a good thing for online - I dunno; we'll see - but it sucks massively for playing against the CPU.

And in that last bit about the CPU having too much possession - the funny thing is that in almost all my games in the demo (played on Legendary) the CPU finished with 50-60 possession. So the CPU is still possessing the ball just as much as previously, for the most part, the big problem I think we both agree on is that not enough possession is going on in the midfield. But as I've already, with aggression turned down, there's no need for CPU midfielders not to pass forward. (Personally, my games have quite a bit of midfield play.... it's just only happening when I have the ball!)

If we're all being fair and honest, balancing these games - especially when you have to balance one game for both single player and multiplayer - is likely a massive nightmare. Right now the balance is off with FIFA 18, at least with the demo but it sounds the same with Early Access. I'm just as frustrated as every one else - I'd really expected/hoped for more by this point, considering how massive FIFA is for EA. Usually there's an impactful day 1 patch released, so I guess at this point that's our best hope for a more balanced FIFA 18.

Tell me this is joke? What kind of trial is this if I cannot change the teams?
Is this fixed by know?

No it is not fixed, and I seriously doubt they will bother fixing a "Trial".

I expect the many PC bugs to be fixed on a day one patch.

In the mean time you have to start the match and then change your time once the game starts, but please note there is then a 50/50 chance the game will crash to desktop once tactics and substitutions are made at the same time.

Yes, I'm expecting a limited number of styles but EA's own promotion states:

"catenaccio to counter attack, quick passing to direct play, you'll see some of Europe's best clubs' playing styles authentically recreated and feel a change in defensive and attacking approaches every time you choose a new club or opponent"

So, "every time we choose a new club or opponent" (I read that as every team we play against, not just the few elite teams whose styles are supposedly being recreated), we'll "feel a change in defensive and attacking approaches", which will presumably be limited to possibly as few as 4 styles - "catenaccio to counter attack, quick passing to direct play".

And custom tactics either somehow work alongside those Team Styles, or are disabled to enable Team Styles. It seems to me that Custom Tactics was a great idea that were never really implemented in a meaningful, noticeable way, but had they been, they would have easily been able to capture Team Styles within their numerous settings.

People really need to be hammering EA over social media about this. I'm not sure I can think of another major marketed feature that was essentially absent from the actual game before.

So we wasted money on paying EA Access? :CURSE:

You get many other benefits from EA Access, not just FIFA.

EA are letting you play a 10 hour trial of the game over 1 week before release..
You therefore should be fully aware that you are playing a pre-release version of the game and that there may be bugs - some game breaking.

There are work arounds for the bugs people are experiencing, but could you please post further bugs in the PC thread, so this thread can remain on topic of actual game discussion, rather than complaining that an alpha version of the game isn't working correctly.

Unfortunately for us, that assumption is being made by the developers.

This is the lead gameplay producer of FIFA 18, talking about FIFA 18...

SYcojHz.png

I'd highlight "there's a fine balance ... so in that process we have to make certain decisions" and add that (suggested this in a PES thread as well), I really hope I'll live to see the day when both companies redesign their difficulty levels and trust their users to make that decision for themselves. Like maybe choosing the strength of both the offensive/defensive AI they wish to play against. Keep control of the online balance that's fine. Imagine a world where people who are fans of end to end goal-fests and people who have fun with tough low scoring matches could enjoy the same game at the same time. Truly a revolution. Who wants to innovate first?

Last edited:
Career mode on this looks great. It does tempt me. But that gameplay better be good, or at least better than FIFA 17

If the gameplay is on par with the demo then it's definitely better than 17..i really disliked 17 but since 18 demo I haven't touched pes 18

First clip at the 1:08 mark : why the hell is the CPU playing a cross to the far post. A through ball would have put his teammate 1 on 1 with the keeper!

With all due respect I don't see no midfield battles, It's just two teams camped in their box with their flanks hilariously exposed

I agree with shez, I don’t see the battles either. Does look slower than the demo, especially the pass speed.
Crosses look strange to me, why are they going so damn high?

Anyone else think CPU strength feels very overpowered? I can appreciate Coutinho, Lallana, etc getting muscled off the ball, but it's nearly every time there's a coming together. Played with sliders a bit (CPU passing strength down to 40, passing error up to 65, first touch error up to 65) and finding it more tolerable/less frenetic.

what is example of midfields battle everyone wants to see ?

For me, it should be a challenge to move the ball up the field, like in real life. I do find that this is fairly well represented when I am in possession (playing on Legendary at least), in that I frequently must make backwards/sidewards passes as I navigate up the field, and if I'm not careful the CPU can dispossess me or intercept passes. Sometimes it's still definitely too easy (although IMO dribbling is the bit that's most overpowered now) but overall I enjoy the challenge on Legendary.

I don't want to speak for everyone else but what I want to see, and this is one of my biggest issues with FIFA, is being able to create that same difficulty for the CPU. The problem is that, due to a lack of aggressiveness by teammate defenders and legacy defending issues that make it difficult to close space with CPU attackers in possession, the CPU is able to move the ball forward with only a few passes.

I do find that playing high pressure tactics well can help (for example, try using the team pressure quick tactic and this can help), and when you catch the CPU in one of its "off" games you'll experience more midfield battles, but overall it's way too easy for the CPU to move the ball forward and retain possession.

That's my two cents at least.

Been playing the demo tonight on full manual at stubhub. It was fast (to fast for my liking), but it was fun. :)
The lighting looked good, so good i sometimes could not differentiate the kits for a second. Because of the sun coming into the stadium the opponents kits had a glow/shine on em and I had to look twice before passing. Liked that little graphical aspect!
Wish there were sliders in the demo and the speed setting.
Guess I’ll keep on testing the demo and I’ll surely get the full version to dive in deeper.

Can someone feed back if Legendary is still too easy?

I'm not the most skilled player, and I don't want to be. I usually don't play full assisted and I make a lot of mistakes (and I like it that way, because football is a game about errors), so usually the hardest levels in both games are most of the time just hard enough or even too hard for me. I suspect that most people who find them easy don't really approach the game that way though. In any case people who find legendary easy can still boost the cpu side using sliders (a couple of points added to speed/acceleration usually works well) so I wouldn't worry much about not finding a challenging difficulty.

That's by experience though, I don't have access to the full game, maybe someone else can confirm this or not.

Last edited:
Changed from Professional to World Class, slow to normal, lowered Sprint Spred, Acceleration, Shot Speed and Pass Speed while.upping Pass Error for the cpu and things are going much better.

I just played the full version with Origin Access. Oh my gosh, this is so freaking fast when you played PES 2018 for the last 2 weeks. I feel stressed just passing the ball around, it feels like everything runs at x1.5 speed.
I also can't play with sound because my audio has a buzzing noise, didn't find anything about it on the FIFA-forums or reddit. For now i think i made the right choice choosing PES this year after so many years of FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom