Everton Thread

Nope Brunnoce, the official channels don't tend to show live games (apart from pre-season games I guess), mainly just for news and interviews.

what a first half yesterday...2-2
yobo had a TERRIBLE night, not only the own goal, but the hole night...

Arteta just keeps impressing me more and more...there are 2 teams in europe i follow really close, thats everton and villarreal, and i must say i dont understand why arteta is left out of the Spannish national team while Santi Cazorla is aways called up, dont get me wrong, santi is a good player...but Arteta imho is another level. He would be a great adition to their NT, not first team, but it would be a great bench player to start off.

Now, Liege is a really quality team, they show it before in the CL preliminary against "that other team" and proved yesterday again...they back line is solid, and it will be a very very though macth this second leg...

yes you were unlucky to score for them, they gave us a nightmare to be honest cant see you beating them away but youve done it before good luck.

maybe you will get a last minute reprieve like we did.

Judging from listening to Everton fans around here, they're not overly impressed with him yet. It's still early days though, of course, but they seem to be worried he might have been a bit expensive for what he's shown so far.

I think he has great potential, but he left Standard too early.
I was afraid that this would be too soon for him.
Well i hope i'm wrong.
After all, he barely played two games and Everton haven't exactly their best spell...

Yep, I don't think Everton fans can really judge him now anyway, he's came from a different league so he will adjust. He looked good against Liverpool, I'm sure he'll do well.

well i just wachted the hull x everton macth, i liked how fellaini played..
he was pretty much all over the picth, like he did in that liege x liverpool clash.

Hull's fisrt goal was a marking mistake by him(he should have won that ball against the hull defender) but offcourse thats not a incredible error, it was just a bit of misstiming i think.

He dominated quite well the midfield and i think hes performance deserved a solid 7/10 grade.

Im eager to see him playing some more, specially once the injuried players are back, i think neville might go back to the CM position once hibbert is back...since i dont think moyes will keep cahill in the cm, as he is prone to do the same as last season swichtng back and forward between the 4411(cahill - yakubu) and 442(saha - yakubu) formation.

Now about the UEFA second leg, i think we are in troble...liege is a very good team, Dalmat is as dangerous as u can be. It will be a hard macth, but if the defence can finnaly settle and play solid i think we might go through with a thin win like 0-1...
The defense has been absolutly crap(mostly yobo imho, as jagielka is playing ok) in this begining of the season, that really needs to be sorted.

Last edited:
Yobo is a former Standard player...in his time in Liège he scored two goals for them, and now a third one...
As a Belgian, i would like Standard to win, but since last year i have a lot of admiration for Everton...both clubs were unlucky with the draw, they should have met in the group stages...
Anyway good luck to Everton too...

Yobo is a former Standard player...in his time in Liège he scored two goals for them, and now a third one...
As a Belgian, i would like Standard to win, but since last year i have a lot of admiration for Everton...both clubs were unlucky with the draw, they should have met in the group stages...
Anyway good luck to Everton too...

yeh i completly agree with u...
its too early for 2 good teams to meet, specially in the UEFA cup, we are not talking about CL...

anyways, talking about Liege, they deserved a CL group stage apperacne this season in my opinion, they were just very unlucky to draw liverpool and the same in the UEFA cup with Everton...its a very solid team, and just casue of bad luck they might be out of the 2 european competitions.

About yobo, i like him, its just that his having a bad start of season...he will definatly settle.

Last edited:
Everton and Liverpool devoured column inches and claimed headlines on a daily basis in a summer of sub-plots on Merseyside.

And while Saturday's first derby meeting of the season promises to be dramatic enough on its own, the events of the summer still provide an intriguing backdrop to activity on the pitch at Goodison Park.

Contracts, takeovers, signings (or lack of them) - accompanied by so many differing versions of events that one seasoned observer of Merseyside football told me "it's been like covering four clubs not two."

The stakes are always high in a game that shed its rather fanciful "friendly derby" tag many moons ago - but for Everton in particular, the coming days could shape their entire season.

Everton look a shadow of the side that finished fifth last term, going out of the Carling Cup at Blackburn on Wednesday with the jeers of their own fans ringing in their ears.

It was a reaction manager David Moyes said was fully justified - especially as it was estimated that the travelling contingent of Everton fans accounted for half of the 14,000 crowd at Ewood Park.

Throw in the fact that Moyes had to haul off his club record £15m signing Marouane Fellaini at half-time and you can gather that the mood around Goodison is not bursting with optimism and goodwill.

Fellaini has cut a tragi-comic figure in his early Everton games, a lost giant finding himself over-run by the little people. Everton's very own Gulliver.

Moyes will hope memories of his outstanding displays against Liverpool in the Champions League (which apparently did not, taken in isolation, prompt him to shell out a quite astounding sum minutes before the transfer window closed) will cattle-prod the big man into life against a familiar foe on Saturday.

If Standard had not already discovered how generous Everton could be when buying Fellaini, they certainly found out when they were gifted a 2-2 draw at Goodison Park in the Uefa Cup last week.

It leaves Everton on the brink of an exit in a tournament they worked so hard to qualify for, and one on which they had pinned many hopes this season.

But little has gone right for Everton since last May - and most of the wounds have been self-inflicted.

The club had a nightmare summer of transfer inactivity, a ground move stalled, chief excutive Keith Wyness resigned and there were laboured contract negotiations with Moyes that continue as I write this blog.

Any considered and precise strategy to build on last season's fifth place was conspicuous by its absence - although pointing the finger at a single culprit is an inexact science and there may well be more than one.

Chairman Bill Kenwright has been blamed for not providing enough cash, while Moyes has also been criticised for failing to take charge of the situation and being pro-active about signing new players until the shutters on transfer window were creaking into action.

The last day dash to Belgium to sign Fellaini may turn out to be an inspired coup, but it also had the inescapable whiff of desperation about it.

Moyes appeared to distance himself from the club's assertion that money had been available all summer when he expressed his regret at not having signings before the season started.

My information is that Moyes had a "flexible" £10m to spend from 1 June (flexible upwards presumably) plus anything he pulled in from sales. This will have left him with £20m-plus after Andrew Johnson's sale to Fulham.

This is not a bank-busting figure and the argument from those defending Moyes' management in the summer is that the serious money, accrued through Johnson's £10.5m sale, arrived too late to sign the sort of players needed to seriously threaten the Premier League's top four.

He has a valid point - but his policy of bringing in players so late was devastatingly flawed and has made a major contribution to Everton's uncertain start to the season. There was cash to spend £15m on Fellaini, although there did not seem enough to land Moyes' main summer target, the £18m-rated Sporting Lisbon midfield man Joao Moutinho.

Moyes' new contract has also cast a shadow over Everton this summer and, as ever with these things, becomes a matter for more debate when results are poor.

David Moyes

There is still hope he might even sign a new deal before Saturday's derby, but the clock is ticking and it is starting to fall into the "believe it when you see it" category.

I was informed from inside Everton in May that a deal had been agreed "in principle", the assumption at the time being that the principle was a guarantee of a major transfer fund.

I have since been told on several occasions he will be signing the contract "shortly" - and indeed the BBC was told last week that he was on the verge of signing a five-year deal.

The contract remains unsigned, with Moyes in the final year of his current deal, and my latest information is that it is still with the club, but will represent a £60,000-a-week deal if and when it is signed.

Presumably it is waiting final adjustments from Kenwright - although he might be tempted to make some interesting changes should Everton go out of the Uefa Cup next week.

Moyes' stock remains high with Everton fans, but supporters rightly judge managers on results and he might experience something of a credit crunch if they do not fall for him in the next week.

Kenwright does not enjoy Moyes' popularity with fans - they lack faith in the chairman and are never slow to let him know.

Many Everton supporters are openly hostile to a move to Kirkby and feel Kenwright has not delivered on new investment (despite what he once now infamously called a "24/7" search).

Kenwright's cause is not helped when Everton fans recall the fiasco of the ultimately non-existent Fortress Sports Fund in 2004.

He admitted at a recent Extraordinary General Meeting, called by fans unhappy at ground move proposals, that he wanted the club to have a new billionaire owner.

The only name linked, and this was vague at best, was Indian businessman Anil Ambani. Everton do not appear to be an attractive proposition to investors, especially when one of their first tasks could be to provide at least £100m to build a new stadium.

It could present an embarrassing scenario for Kenwright if he appears in front of Everton supporters this time next year and there is still no new investment and still no new ground, but do not bet against it happening.

Kenwright has asked the man who is winning a reputation as an investment "Mr Fix It" Keith Harris (no not that one) to find a buyer, but he has also been instructed to do the same by Newcastle so it may not happen in a hurry.

It leaves Everton in the sort of no-man's land that only good results can take you out of - but they can be sure Liverpool and Standard Liege will not be in the mood to lend a helping hand in what will be a pivotal few days for Moyes and his side.

Liverpool, their win against Manchester United apart, have not convinced this season and they have not been a picture of peace and calm either - with the relationship between chief executive Rick Parry and their turbulent manager Rafael Benitez a matter for public debate in the summer.

The club's supporters are in no mood to make peace with owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and they also crave new investment, although Liverpool will have no difficulty finding it should their current American owners decide enough is enough.

Robbie Keane - vastly over-priced at £20m - has so far failed to settle, but he has punished Everton before and will see this as the perfect opportunity to ignite his Anfield career.

Everton will hope the sight of the old enemy will somehow spark them into reviving last season's excellent form - and provide the best possible diversion away from the current unsettled mood at the club.

jesus...fellaini was horrible today...horrible, the first game our defence looked somehow decent the midfield couldnt help could they? i felt sorry for neville, he ran allone barely the hole macth tring to cover the holes the belgian giant left in the midfield.

and than the only chance fellaini had to redeem himself he blows it away shooting exactly where Carragher was stading at, is he blind?

omfg..

u can notice that before liverpool 1st goal, they didnt have ANY solid scoring chances(only a long effort from gerrard, that howard jumped late) although they were cleary dominating the match, 5 or 10 mim before the goal i was noticing that giant twat(fellaini) was only walking around the picth, he was totally tired i think, otherwise hes a lazy bastard, moyes should had replaced him with castillo, or leave hibbert in the game as he wasnt playing that bad specially coming from a injury...

i saw cahill, neville and hibbert givin 100% trying to help the defence , and that guy jogging like he was on a light training?? CMON!
Please take a close look at the first goal and u'll see that fellaini fails to run with torres leaving him free for an easy finnish...Jagielka reaction to the goal sums it all, he just looks back in surprize kind of sayin: WTF, why didnt anyone ran with this guy?

jeeeez.. im really mad with that belgian right now, he does hav potential, but maybe the derby got on his nerves, for the worst.

anyways, in the end liverpool cleary deserved the win...if the result was another it would be totally unfair, everton didnt have midfield today, it was only long balls parying that the reds defence would made a mistake, indeed they make that mistake(reyna), but u know the rest of story.

Last edited:
jesus...fellaini was horrible today...horrible, the first game our defence looked somehow decent the midfield couldnt help could they? i felt sorry for neville, he ran allone barely the hole macth tring to cover the holes the belgian giant left in the midfield.

and than the only chance fellaini had to redeem himself he blows it away shooting exactly where Carragher was stading at, is he blind?

omfg..

u can notice that before liverpool 1st goal, they didnt have ANY solid scoring chances(only a long effort from gerrard, that howard jumped late) although they were cleary dominating the match, 5 or 10 mim before the goal i was noticing that giant twat(fellaini) was only walking around the picth, he was totally tired i think, otherwise hes a lazy bastard, moyes should had replaced him with castillo, or leave hibbert in the game as he wasnt playing that bad specially coming from a injury...

i saw cahill, neville and hibbert givin 100% trying to help the defence , and that guy jogging like he was on a light training?? CMON!
Please take a close look at the first goal and u'll see that fellaini fails to run with torres leaving him free for an easy finnish...Jagielka reaction to the goal sums it all, he just looks back in surprize kind of sayin: WTF, why didnt anyone ran with this guy?

jeeeez.. im really mad with that belgian right now, he does hav potential, but maybe the derby got on his nerves, for the worst.

anyways, in the end liverpool cleary deserved the win...if the result was another it would be totally unfair, everton didnt have midfield today, it was only long balls parying that the reds defence would made a mistake, indeed they make that mistake(reyna), but u know the rest of story.

tbf to fellaini, even if he'd shot past Carragher, the goal would have been disallowed because the ref had already blown for a free kick.

hey guys! exactly one year ago we played you in the uefa cup. one of my all time memorable highlights as a football supporter, even if we lost, it was a superb night for all of us. :) we fought hard, we kept the match open, we had our chances. in the end you took the deserved win but we were proud of our team. nothing of that is left anymore.

now, 365 days later, we are on the brink of relegation to the 3rd division. :( i dont know how it happened or why we have to be punished like this, but everything went down the pipe. i just had some good memories and hope you remember the night as well as we do. :)

rqnlbwuf.jpg

Saha actually done nothing all game, in fact nor did your team.

I'm amazed at the way we capitulated... was quite shocking really after dominating most of the game.

I think you're in for a frutrating season steevio....i hope i'm wrong but i think West Ham are among the relegation candidates IMHO.
They risk loosing good players like Parker in the mid-season tranfer window...and Ashton is once again injured.
What a shame...

What happened with Fellaini ??? Was he on the bench ? I had the impression he was doing quite well.

Gerd, he is doing quite well imo, showing he might be a 15m player in the future.
i wacthed every single game this season, and after that really bad merseyside derby he played, he is started getting confidence and improved a lot, im not talking just about the goals he scored, but about his overal performance...
Fellaini was suspended this macth, so, he will be coming back to the starting 11 next macth against boro.

about saha's performance, yeh, he didnt do anything for 83 minutes, but thats the strikers life, he doesnt need to do anything as long as he scores, thats what hes paid for...and heck if he scores twice and gives u an assist u gotta give him the MoM award, no question about it.

What's up with your medical staff some magic they doing?? Saha who was constantly injured in his career in Manchester United is fit as a fiddle in Everton!! And scoring goals, assists wow!! He is showing glimpses of his old self!! Congrats!! Fellaini is good find but i still state he was a tad too expensive!!

yeh, we still need to see about those 2 things...

first, see if saha will remain healthy for the rest of the season(fingers crossed) if he does he will defo be the biggest bargain in the market this season, cause we already know what he can do when he is healthy(he is proving it right now)

second, see if fellaini can stabilish himself as the player he is showing to be, i agree that 15m was too much for him at this point, but maybe moyes saw somthing in him that we still dont... i do trust moyes, he is very competent, thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom