ESPN Thread

Re: Sh*tanta might be going bust soon

So ESPN is the Sky channel on on 417 or is their another one now?

Like Kobashi says its just NASN rebranded. The channel pack that Sky have put it in and £1 extra price means that millions of people have access to it now.

Details on the main ESPN tomorrow.

Any news around regarding Virgin and this channel? They're letting people who subscribed to setanta previously watch now, well i got setanta free as part of the package with virgin so i wonder if virgin/espn will do the same deal again.

Virgin customers have to pay £10 per month (:SHOCK:) for this channel. Their negotiating with ESPN, probably looking for a similar deal that they had with Setanta.

ESPN America on Sky eh?

So now I can watch a bit of Major League Baseball for free. Not that I would want to do that.:THINK:

Whoa hold on a sec

did you say Sky are getting this new channel free?

Footy an all?

I doubt that it'll be free but I'd expect there to be some kind of deal, like if you have Sky Sports then you the new channel at a discount price.

ESPN America is the channel that's effectively free if you have the right package.

I get ESPN America for free but I doubt that will show any football. Those channels are still to come.

If you like MLB and NASCAR it's great, though.

Apparently they're in talks with other TV providers as well so that you can get it with providers other than Sky. Source: HERE

ESPN has reached an initial deal to have the channel shown on Sky, but it is in talks with all UK pay-TV platforms about carrying the service.

I hope they'll find some way to make it available like Setanta was, to those with freeview, but from the sounds of that - "UK pay-TV platforms" - perhaps they won't...

Last edited:

Yeah I think they will Chris, they said when the deal was first announced that they planned to. Setanta was a pay-tv channel and available on freeview so I don't see why this will be different. :)

Yeah £9/£12 is too much for me for the 46 0-0 Monday night Premier League games that Setanta had last season.

Has anyone noticed if the Bundesliga has been picked up yet?

None of the leagues that Setanta had have been picked up yet, I hope they get more content to make the price point acceptable.

They've upset a lot of ESPN America viewers with this outcome it seems.

None of the leagues that Setanta had have been picked up yet, I hope they get more content to make the price point acceptable.

They've upset a lot of ESPN America viewers with this outcome it seems.
huh why?

A lot of ESPN America viewers don't care about football, ESPN are going to combine the channel into the main ESPN channel. Now in order to get the channel they have to pay a premium for it. Some sports that they were used to watching at certain times of the day may be sacrificed for the EPL.

I hope they confirm that NBA games will be on this channel asap.

A lot of ESPN America viewers don't care about football, ESPN are going to combine the channel into the main ESPN channel. Now in order to get the channel they have to pay a premium for it. Some sports that they were used to watching at certain times of the day may be sacrificed for the EPL.

not in america mate, not sure where your reading that, but they will probably broadcast games on espn classic, and espn2HD. But there is no way in hell the epl is going to trump college football.... la liga is going to be on espn as well OH SHIT, sorry man, your talking about a channel in england called "ESPN america" not espn in america, LOL, yeah i have no idea about that

hear hope this makes your day

http://perezhilton.com/2009-07-10-weeds-star-exxxposed#more-60142

:APPLAUD:

I am not gonna pay £9 per month unless they add more content. I expect Bundesliga and French Ligue 1 coverage plus some boxing which Sky dont pick up. Plus what will ESPN do next summer when they lose half of there EPL coverage.

A few extra EPL games US sports like baseball and Ice Hockey does not interest me.

I've upgraded to ESPN via the red button, from what I've read on the net it sounds like its a one month contract.

USA Major League soccer is to join ESPN’s new channel, along with matches from European leagues.

The US deal covers the remainder of the current season and includes at least 16 matches, kicking off with David Beckham in action as New England play hosts to LA Galaxy on 8 August.

A multiyear deal with the German Bundesliga includes up to five live matches per week, plus weekly preview and highlight packages.

ESPN has also struck deals with the Portuguese Liga and IEC in Sports for exclusive UK and Ireland rights and with IMG for rights to two Dutch matches a week from the Eredivisie, and live matches from the Russian Premier League.

Additionally, it will broadcast pre-season friendlies from Real Madrid’s North American tour. Benfica’s warm-up match against AC Milan and Tottenham Hotspur’s game against Olympiakos will air over the weekend of 8 and 9 August, which will also see the Italian SuperCup Live, the traditional curtain raiser to the Italian football league season.

All matches will be shown on ESPN and ESPN HD in the UK, joining the recently acquired 46 live Barclays Premier League and 30 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League matches for the 2009/2010 season.

:APPLAUD:

Source

Hopefully the Super Cup is a sign of things to come, perhaps Eurosport can snap up the French League.

Great news! The Setanta highlights program for the Bundesliga was awesome. A full hour of highlights without "analysis" and full of some weird Bolton/German accent for one of the commentators - hope they get him again.

Virgin Media has secured a carriage agreement for ESPN's standard definition and high definition channels.

On August 3, ESPN America will be replaced in the UK by a new subscription-based ESPN service available in standard and high definition. It will carry the Premier League matches acquired after Setanta's collapse along with sports currently shown on ESPN America. ESPN has also recently acquired additional football rights from the SPL, MLS and top divisions in Europe.

ESPN and ESPN HD will be offered free of charge to customers taking Virgin Media's top XL tier of television service. The channels will also be available to customers on the M and L tiers for £8 per month if they subscribe to Sky Sports or £10 standalone. All Virgin Media television customers will receive the channels free in August.

Digital Spy

Back
Top Bottom