EA SPORTS FC 24

Relating to EA in general, but there's often loot box discussion in here, and with FUT being the most successful form of loot boxes in the world as far as I'm aware, it's worth a shout-out:

Eurogamer: EA, Jagex, and Miniclip broke loot box advertising rules

It's an interesting read, and it took a researcher who's conducted studies on loot box legislation to raise this with the relevant authorities (e.g. the ASA, Advertising Standards Authority in the UK).

The "published in error" line is infuriating - but it's also the only thing you'd expect from any company caught out like this. The stat about nearly 300,000,000 TikTok impressions on these ads is particularly scary.

Trying to play this game on PC but its becoming unplayable because the gameplay is laggy and stuttering all game, is there anyway to fix this?

One area I think would massively help regarding animations, is more automated animation transitions when turning while sprinting.

The animations to turn are in the game, but they don't seem to happen by default when turning and sprinting, they seem to skip and look super jarring. You can activate them by turning slowly or using dragback etc to turn, but sprinting and turning is super weird and it would happen multiple times during the game as most people sprint a lot. If these happened organically I think it would help make the game look a lot better.

The overhaul of the AI sounds interesting! Hope this is accurate. I'd love to see an overhaul of the footplanting too!

Huge issue with the game IMO, so glad they're looking at it, if this is true.

However - improved AI for offline, or online? They are two different things.

In Manager Mode, if I buy a £50m defender, I need him to be able to defend without me holding his hand and reminding him how to mark a man. Otherwise, what's the point in buying him? The whole mode is rendered pointless.

In FUT, if that happened (defenders tracking players and marking properly), controllers would be getting smashed and the complaints from streamers (whose voices are paramount in how the game develops) would be in the thousands.

Offline AI improvements means (to me)...

Defenders not needing your control - players working in packs to dispossess you (i.e. the death of 1v1) - MIDFIELD RESISTANCE (how I miss thee) and the return of build-up play as a necessity, making you TRULY think about every action.

Every single one of those would make online players rage-vomit.

This is why, without offline and online being separate games, I don't see how what I'd call "football fans" can really love a football game again.

So I'm honestly not excited. (Yet.)

One area I think would massively help regarding animations, is more automated animation transitions when turning while sprinting.

The animations to turn are in the game, but they don't seem to happen by default when turning and sprinting, they seem to skip and look super jarring. You can activate them by turning slowly or using dragback etc to turn, but sprinting and turning is super weird and it would happen multiple times during the game as most people sprint a lot. If these happened organically I think it would help make the game look a lot better.

The overhaul of the AI sounds interesting! Hope this is accurate. I'd love to see an overhaul of the footplanting too!
Unfortunately this has to do with the selection of the animation engine, the game is prioritized to be responsive, it's the primary factor, it ends up that the animations are sacrificed.

But it's what I said, the game can go up with the AI being trained to avoid appealing moves, so much so that they mentioned the AI remembering what you did and fighting, but that's it, we need to see if this is true and how it will be applied offline and online. Then take a look at the comments on this tweet, people weren't too keen on the AI being smarter.

As a player who puts the sprint speed down to zero and acceleration down to 45 before even starting playing a new game id say realism over response every time but i realise we live in a different world now.

"As a gameplay team, we focus on the "game" part as much as possible. We don't want to add realism for realism's sake if it's going to make your experience with the game worse. We always try to keep a balance, and it's a very important thing. Sometimes we have to add mechanics, while sometimes we have to tone down some things for the benefit of the gameplay experience," Thomas Caleffi

https://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/ea-...ercamiento-al-dilema-eterno-juegos-deportivos

"As a gameplay team, we focus on the "game" part as much as possible. We don't want to add realism for realism's sake if it's going to make your experience with the game worse. We always try to keep a balance, and it's a very important thing. Sometimes we have to add mechanics, while sometimes we have to tone down some things for the benefit of the gameplay experience," Thomas Caleffi

https://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/ea-...ercamiento-al-dilema-eterno-juegos-deportivos
This is why I can't believe EAFC will ever improve from a realism standpoint, and will always, always be a game for those who want - well, everything EAFC is now...

...an instant-response, fake physics, brain-dead AI, zero satisfaction, zero recreation of the sport product with no trace of football in it beyond the licenses.

I have been privileged enough to have conversations with several of the FIFA team over the years, past and present - including Tom Caleffi. In my experience, he's genuinely a nice guy, but we fundamentally disagree about everything to do with the game - and when he's the gameplay guy...

I can only see the game becoming even sillier from here (by which I'm referring to the simplified physics where the ball's response is very obviously "overridden" in order to make sure the tackler wins the ball, or the pass isn't intercepted / doesn't miss its target, including those absolute eye-sore moon headers - and worst of all, the rocket-boosted crab-walking AI-controlled players who hover around in circles).

---

Semi-related, but it made me laugh just now:

Played a few games this morning and something I don't think I've ever spoken about on here is the fluff - the stuff that doesn't matter at all compared to gameplay, but is still noticeably off.

With a budget like EA have, why are so many elements so shoddy? For example, display elements get "stuck" constantly (e.g. if you skip cut-scenes in the match as the EPL scoreboard is animating, it gets stuck mid-animation and says e.g. "BR 0-0 a" which makes no sense).

Not only that, why is there so little depth in some regards? For example, in English leagues, wouldn't it be cool if you had a non-EPL commentary team so that it felt "special" when you got there and heard Derek Rae / Guy Mowbray for the first time? And if Alex Scott didn't just happen to be at every single game your team plays, in the end game cutscenes?

I suppose the idea of building up to something special is all part of the same stable of "remember when you couldn't win a game in the PES Master League for ten games or so, until you got to a transfer window and could sort your team out" - i.e. that's not a factor any more, the core (young) audience just want the glitz and the glory from minute one of playing.

Played a few games this morning and something I don't think I've ever spoken about on here is the fluff - the stuff that doesn't matter at all compared to gameplay, but is still noticeably off.

With a budget like EA have, why are so many elements so shoddy? For example, display elements get "stuck" constantly (e.g. if you skip cut-scenes in the match as the EPL scoreboard is animating, it gets stuck mid-animation and says e.g. "BR 0-0 a" which makes no sense).

Not only that, why is there so little depth in some regards? For example, in English leagues, wouldn't it be cool if you had a non-EPL commentary team so that it felt "special" when you got there and heard Derek Rae / Guy Mowbray for the first time? And if Alex Scott didn't just happen to be at every single game your team plays, in the end game cutscenes?

I suppose the idea of building up to something special is all part of the same stable of "remember when you couldn't win a game in the PES Master League for ten games or so, until you got to a transfer window and could sort your team out" - i.e. that's not a factor any more, the core (young) audience just want the glitz and the glory from minute one of playing.
Because that takes time and innovation, why do that? They want less of that please, thank you. Minimum effort, maximum profit. They literally do not need to change the game at all, year after year, they'll make billions whatever. Same game, same addictive FUT nonsense.

Fun social experiment at this point. How long can a company give you the same poison before they get a backlash that causes a hit in profits.

This tweet...and the comments show why we're just worlds apart in opinion from online v offline.

I think the key difference is the online crowd view everything through the scope of a 'game' and we view everything through the scope of 'football'.

https://x.com/AlexBeeOfficial/status/1771191394947809683?s=20

A defender doing his job, scandalous!

The funny thing is, all that crying is always about defending. But the offensive with automatic shots and all of the1000 assistances enabled is never an issue for them.

But I cant understand why those people even play football games ... There is million other online-competitive games to chose from .. why go with one that represent football, even its obvious you are not fan of that sport.

Go play Call-of-duty, Dota, whatever ...

But I cant understand why those people even play football games ... There is million other online-competitive games to chose from .. why go with one that represent football, even its obvious you are not fan of that sport.

Go play Call-of-duty, Dota, whatever ...
I think they (in general) are fans of teams/players, but not fanatical football fans.

In a nutshell, it feels cool to control someone wearing their team's kit, and beyond that, they want the game to be electrifying 1v1 fun like all their other favourite games are.

What you're left with is a game that tries to look like football on the surface, but feel like CoD while you're playing it - to tick every possible dopamine box.

Football games that play like football are dead and buried.

Who wants to play chess when you can play Fortnite, and even do a Fortnite dance when you score?

(Well, I believe there's a lot of us - but we don't buy FUT items, so what do we matter.)

I think they (in general) are fans of teams/players, but not fanatical football fans.

In a nutshell, it feels cool to control someone wearing their team's kit, and beyond that, they want the game to be electrifying 1v1 fun like all their other favourite games are.

What you're left with is a game that tries to look like football on the surface, but feel like CoD while you're playing it - to tick every possible dopamine box.

Football games that play like football are dead and buried.

Who wants to play chess when you can play Fortnite, and even do a Fortnite dance when you score?

(Well, I believe there's a lot of us - but we don't buy FUT items, so what do we matter.)

I hope games like Goals get big just to push them away from FIFA and PES. Then hopefully FIFA and PES will be games for casuals that wants to have a football experience in a video game and all the Rocket Leaguers that wants to be pro can play games like Goals.

A defender doing his job, scandalous!

The funny thing is, all that crying is always about defending. But the offensive with automatic shots and all of the1000 assistances enabled is never an issue for them.
I can't agree more! Everything about Attacking is super easy, but that Is ok in their mind. Football is a low score sport, where defending should be easier than scoring.
The truth is that kids want feel like they are "super" at playing,even if they have not enough skill to play a real football game.
In 2007 i won a small,local, Pes 6 tournament. Thinking how much simplified is Pes6 in comparision to new games (8 directions, autopasses etc..),but everything was well rounded and balanced, (even if the game was more Attack oriented than pes5) and allows to create a consistent skill gap and a good football's depiction on the pitch.
I was quite good at Pes6 and the better player at that tournament, dangerous at dribbling and good at defending. The game allows me to do that,and neither of my opponents i faced was able to dribble and cover the space like i was.
Now, in new fifas, we are all good at dribbling,passing. We all somehow struggle to defending. We all play the same way, exploiting wings mainly,the game is designed for..

Over the last 2-3 days we've played close to 20 clubs games, every team we have faced moves the ball down the field by switching the ball with first time volleyed crosses back and forth. We had a string of games where tackles would just not take the ball off of players, ridiculous bounces, instant recovery times, etc. I love the idea of the game, but the execution is ass. I'm all for the special moments and great skill, but that isn't what is going on right now, it's a twitchy mess. The amount of assists in the game reward shit like above.

Career feels better but still has the same issues. Random psycho tackles by the AI, twitchy AI dribbling, legs contorting to make sure a tackle or shot goes off, etc.

Banning coins to buy loot boxes will be the only hope of games like this, as it will stop EA Sports gaining a ton of money from sales of coins. They might then put more focus back into the gameplay

But being EA Sports, I'm sure there efforts will go to find another way to monitise FUT

"Buy the brand new golden Mbappe, for only £7.99 from your mum's credit card. PLUS! For an extra £2, you can also get the golden tracksuit for him to wear during the match"

See how the ball momentum is manipulated to "throw the brakes on" and stop it travelling backwards, forcing it downwards towards the heel for the "shot" instead?

It's subtle, but you can still see it in real-time from a gameplay camera when it happens, and you can "feel" it too - when your eye is telling you "damn, I pressed shoot too soon and messed up the chance", yet the game gifts it to you and you're sat there thinking "oh, that shouldn't have happened". It feels cheap.

For as long as football games resort to this, instead of forcing the player to stretch further or (even better) miss the ball completely, I can't play it.

Anyone have any impression of the PS4 version? Is it significantly worse?

in my opinion ps4 is better. it feels more basic yes, but more solid and less random in aspects of collisions (warping) and acceleration and sprint speeds etc.

the extra animations/hypermotion makes ps5 version feel like odd things happen more often.

Very, very interesting data...

Kotaku - 60% of Playtime in 2023 went to 6-Year-Old or Older Games, New Data Shows

bE5JBwH.png

Why am I posting this here? EA FC appears in the PlayStation list - but not in the Xbox list (FIFA 23 does). Isn't that odd...?

Perhaps it's because FIFA 23 is on Game Pass and EA FC isn't yet. Either way, it seems pretty weird to me!

But I'm also posting this here because of the realisation that EA want that Fortnite/GTA/CoD market, and they're going to continue to give those players whatever they want in order to achieve an "attach rate" anything close to theirs - because that's modern business.

Off-topic: "Only 8 percent of video game playtime was spent on new, non-annual titles like Diablo IV or Baldur's Gate III"... How scary is that. The idea of a new, sim-based football game ever being released seems more of a wild, unrealistic fantasy than ever.

"The desires of devs are the same as the community's?

Online: Responsive

Offline: Simulation

IGN: We see that AI is playing an important role in this new football proposal from EA Sports. How much can it be explored in the future and where would the game go in terms of its appearance, how it plays, and how it moves, as we heard in the presentation?

Sam: Yes. First, what I've taught today about artificial intelligence is already a point that impresses us. Why? Because it's exponential now. Let's say the amount of content we can release now, before it was 10 or 15 players we talked about per year, now it's over 1,200 players thanks to artificial intelligence. It's amazing.

What can be done for the future? It's a very interesting question. Too many things. I believe that the combination of now having volumetric capture data and having Artificial Intelligence simply puts us now in the fastest race to create real football. If we have motion and we have Artificial Intelligence, how to apply it so that every move of the game, every minute, every second of the game, is as similar as possible to real life, that would be the goal for the future.

Say right now, I'm going to change the story. I'm taking over from here. I have control of this shot. I'm going to launch it in a different way. Maybe I'll score a goal. That would be one of the things, for example, that Artificial Intelligence can do, for now we're dealing quite a bit with it in terms of animation, creating more realistic animations that adapt to any game context.
But we're also researching how players move, the intelligence of each player, there are many things. I can't exactly disclose the details because that's what we're planning for the future. But with what we taught today in the presentation, we already believe it's quite advanced in terms of technology and artificial intelligence.

But also, for example, if we have all the information, all the data from the Champions League final and we can put a camera on Haaland or Foden's head, then we can go in and see, pause the game, see how everyone was, experiencing what they experienced in real life.

My doubt is whether this is possible given the overwhelming number of online players expressing their opinions. That's why I internally support the idea of expanding controls and sliders.​

Last edited:
Very, very interesting data...

Kotaku - 60% of Playtime in 2023 went to 6-Year-Old or Older Games, New Data Shows

bE5JBwH.png

Why am I posting this here? EA FC appears in the PlayStation list - but not in the Xbox list (FIFA 23 does). Isn't that odd...?

Perhaps it's because FIFA 23 is on Game Pass and EA FC isn't yet. Either way, it seems pretty weird to me!

But I'm also posting this here because of the realisation that EA want that Fortnite/GTA/CoD market, and they're going to continue to give those players whatever they want in order to achieve an "attach rate" anything close to theirs - because that's modern business.

Off-topic: "Only 8 percent of video game playtime was spent on new, non-annual titles like Diablo IV or Baldur's Gate III"... How scary is that. The idea of a new, sim-based football game ever being released seems more of a wild, unrealistic fantasy than ever.

Pro evolution soccer 5 remastered for ps5 anyone?

Too many fouls from what i remember, every collision resulted in niggly fouls, I felt like PES 6 was PES5 without the constant FK,s. Im sure handball was in PES5 as well?

Back
Top Bottom