Champions League 2011/12

Wow Chelsea in the last 3 games have been swinging from the crossbar and still manage to win it.

Tbh, he's spent $2.8bn I see on finally winning the cup, but jeez that's one expensive defense.

And hopefully they'll be able to move that bus they parked in front of their goal to do their victory parade.

Thought Ashley Cole was brilliant, however I saw Drogba getting great marks in the papers today, I thought he was never in the game at all, Bayerns defence had it easy as he was the only player within their half (some of the time). Lampard and Mata would have been better sitting next to me watching it too.

Mind you I see someone commented earlier about Gomez, I don't think he's all that either, the same with Ribery, I don't confess to watch German football every week, but in terms of Europe and International I just don't know what the fuss is with him, I'd border on say he's average at best in these games.

FD

Written in the stars, I mean im not religious but you just had that feeling Chelsea were going to do it after the way they beat Barcelona and this was exactly the same.

UNBELIEVABLE. 2012 the year of Arab and Oil Money finally beats football
Well, not totally true, since Qatarcelona didn't win anything exceptional, Etihadchester City quit CL in first stage against Napoli and Montpellier did a little miracle against rich PSG ;)

However, congrats to Chelsea, maybe it was their last chance to win it because of their old team. Bayern should try to win it in next years since their team is relatively young (also with the addition of Shaqiri).

I don't get what's different here. Many teams depend on their best players. That is pretty obvious why, because they win things for them. They are the ones they look up to in sticky situations. These players are not perfect so they might fail. And Robben is no different.

Good luck Bayern for the future.

I think Bayern messed up pretty bad and it'll have psychological impact for some time to come! especially for fragile individuals like Gomez who may now have not such a good Euro's as perhaps before this match or if it had turned out different.

This was Bayern's game to win and they know it. The distraught look on Robben's face and the shock, disappointment and disbelief of Schweini and everyone told the whole story.

They have a great team and had a great chance but failed to win ANYTHING this year. 2nd place in league and beaten twice by biggest rivals. 5-2 demolition at hands of Dortmund again in Pokal and then the biggest failure of all, not winning at home against a weakened Chelsea.

I think it'll take some time for these players and even the coach to get over this MASSIVE disappointment. I know if I were Robben or Schweini, I'd still be thinking about it!

Chelsea won because of "the [blessed?] CURSE" :))

EVERY team to eliminate Guardiola's Barcelona has won the respective trophy. Talking about Sevilla's 2010 Spanish Cup, Inter's 2010 UCL, Madrid's 2011 Spanish Cup and Chelsea's 2012 UCL.

This is like the 2009-10 season all over again, when every team to defeat Guardiola during the season won a trophy; Rubin [Russian Premier League], Atletico [Europa League], Inter and Sevilla.

Congrats Chelsea! Wasn't exactly rooting for you, but hey...

--------------
BTW Schweinsteiger (and the rest of the germans from Bayern) are preparing to do a Ballack this year.
You all remember Ballack's 2002 campaign, no? UCL Finalist, 2nd in League, lost Cup final, lost WC Final.
Or Ballack's 2008 campaign: Lost UCL Final, 2nd in League, lost Cup Final, lost Euro Final.

Guess who's a UCL Finalist, 2nd in League, Cup Finalist [pardon - Pokal Finalist]?...
My money on Germany as Euro Finalists.

Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Bayern not because of the Chelsea - Barcelona blow, but because of Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Neuer and Muller. It's been some years since germans attracted my sympathies.

Last edited:
Well, I preferred Bayern to win. I like the way they play football. And as it happened in the semifinals, they did everything to win, except putting the ball in.

Chelsea may be the luckiest team to ever win the Champions League, but their effort and persistence is impressive. Cech confirmed he is the best goalkeeper out there. What an impressive performance.

And though personally I think Chelsea didn't deserve to win this cup (based on the football displayed and chances), I think football owed a big trophy to players like Cech, Lampard and Drogba. And after all, the winner is always a fair winner. So congrats to all Chelsea fans for the miracle, enjoy it as much as you can and welcome to the club of CL winners!

Also, enjoy the title because according to statistics you won't win it next year! Also, don't ask to hold the final at Stamford Bridge!

I almost completely agree with drekkard's post.
And while i'm a big fan of attacking football and the way German teams play the last years (roughly since 2006), let's not forget that Bayern and other German team have won plenty of silverware the way Chelsea won this CL. People tend to overlook the merit of good defending and good GK'ing. Cech is one of the finest GK's of the last years

Also, enjoy the title because according to statistics you won't win it next year!

You can't be so sure. This season Chelsea had the worst and broken squad which will be better in next year with the likes of young hungry players. Do you think Chelsea will possibly be worser than the worst?

It's Barca's next year so no you won't, they needed a year to refresh (lose both big titles) and they'll be hungry to make things right.

We'll have to see how the Tito thing plays out first and how they recover after Guardiola but surely they remain a big force. I guess it will be between Real, Barca, and maybe City. Also, maybe Juve with some big signings can be some kind of surprise. They were immense this year. It will be good to have such a big team back in Europe.

I think Chelsea will need tie to rebuild. The final was like an end of an era for a number of players in the squad.

I hope Chelsea's board (Roman) also sees this as the end of the road for a generation of players. Otherwise Chelsea faces bad times.

People are referring to the fact that no club ever succeded in winning 2 consecutive CL's, not even the all conquering Barcelona team. About Chelsea: one has to be fair they are not without merit but they won the CL with a fair amount of luck. They could have been beaten by Napoli, Barcelona and Bayern, still every time they came away with it (one has only to think about the rather lucky goal they scored in Naples).

But this current crop of Chelsea players certainly deserved a CL since they are among the best European teams for years now.

I don't believe in luck much. You create you're own "luck" by trying your best and working your hardest. Chelsea were good at the back and Bayern were bad up front.

arrigo sacchi used to say "luck is the name incompetent people give to others' talent. those who have no talent can't recognize it and spot it in other people. and since they can't see it nor spot it, they recurr to the word luck. when it comes to football, i consider the use itself of the word luck as a mark of a fool".

it is obvious that this current chelsea team isn't the best team in europe. their football isn't pretty and their league position reflects their actual strenght much more accurately than their champions league success. but that doesn't mean they didn't deserve this victory. quite the opposite infact.
chelsea weren't lucky against napoli. napoli played at their usual level only in the home leg... at stanford bridge they only played football for about 10 minutes, so they deserved to lose.
napoli were stupid, benfica and bayern were wasteful and barçelona were toothless. it wasn't chelsea who got "lucky".

It was fate! Most teams that played vs. Chelsea had opportunities to win. Messi & Boy Robben penalty to bury Chelsea. For all the lack of that Chelsea had....don't look any further. I chose the word my mamma used " takes one to know one" only in footy can you be skint in league n king of Europe in the same season lol

arrigo sacchi used to say "luck is the name incompetent people give to others' talent. those who have no talent can't recognize it and spot it in other people. and since they can't see it nor spot it, they recurr to the word luck. when it comes to football, i consider the use itself of the word luck as a mark of a fool".

it is obvious that this current chelsea team isn't the best team in europe. their football isn't pretty and their league position reflects their actual strenght much more accurately than their champions league success. but that doesn't mean they didn't deserve this victory. quite the opposite infact.
chelsea weren't lucky against napoli. napoli played at their usual level only in the home leg... at stanford bridge they only played football for about 10 minutes, so they deserved to lose.
napoli were stupid, benfica and bayern were wasteful and barçelona were toothless. it wasn't chelsea who got "lucky".

It's more like the other teams are "unlucky".

:TU:

To a certain degree Chelsea were lucky, but it is no coïncidence that they were "lucky" against Napoli, Benfica, Barcelona and Bayern. That is 9 matches of "luck", i.e. it seemed that in those 9 matches every opponent played a bad match...that is no coïncidence. You can have luck in one or two matches, but not during 9 matches, that is 870 minutes if i'm not mistaken (9 matches and extra times against both Napoli and Bayern).

It's Barca's year next year? LOL. Didn't know we had so many Nostradamus nut lickers on Evo Web.

There's no such thing called luck in football ..
a ball hit the post, so what? that means the player who shot the ball is inaccurate ..
a GK stopped the ball, that means he's well placed ..
what luck are you talking about?

Chelsea had luck we missed a lot of big chances, which is definitely not normal for the quality of our attacking players. In my opinion it was one of the best matches we played in the last years, because that was not a common Bundesliga match, it was the biggest match in the club history, it was the Champions League final on your homegroud. For that we controlled the ball very well, passing was great, we created chances for 2 or 3 finals.

I was happy as never before when Muller scores. I had tears in my eyes and really believed we win the Champions League in these beautiful minutes of happiness and relief. It's my biggest dream to win this cup. And there were only 2 minutes to go...

As I said a few posts before. This defeat was one of the biggest dissappointments in my life and for many Bayern supporters it is more brutal than the tragic defeat in 1999, when United scores twice in injury time. I was not a supporter because I was too young. But now I know how millions of fans felt 13 years back.

Come on, luck on one action, why not, but luck on an entire match, or luck on an entire competition, it is not serious.
Robben's shoot on the post is Cech doing a great stop and Robben been not confident enough. Same for the penalty
Drogba's goal is chelsea believing more in victory than Bayern.
There is no luck in there, only a team who wanted so much to win against a team who lacked confidence and also accuracy
Same stuff against barça in semi
Chelsea wanted the CL so much that they managed to come back from any situation, even the trickiest (in Nou Camp) and the latest (goal in the last minutes in Bayern), and to me, this is the English Football spirit. You can be Barça, Real, Milan, Bayern or who ever, you cannot beat a team playing football whith the english mind on football.
That's why EPL is the greatest championship and that Chelsea deserves this win !!!

You can be Barça, Real, Milan, Bayern or who ever, you cannot beat a team playing football whith the english mind on football.
That's why EPL is the greatest championship...

Interesting that only few english players were or are involved playing this english minded football... :D
And that is the reason why english NT had only little success...

And an Italian coach. English football is more represented by the smaller English clubs.

Back
Top Bottom