Active Soccer 2023

Definitely, just look at the massive success of Rocket League as a 2v2 online pseudo-football game. There's got to be an opportunity for you to make a decent multi-player arcade football game that isn't bogged down in the micro-transaction greed of EA and Konami.

Good luck, great work so far. Have posted an initial review on Steam.

One issue I'll mention - I've not seen anyone else mention it so perhaps it's just me. It is clear from the circle icon which player I am controlling when I have possession of the ball but when I don't have possession, additional icons appear and I find it visually confusing as to which player I'm supposed to be controlling, particularly when I click to switch to control a different player. I've turned off the option to auto-switch (because that makes it worse - and it sometimes the option seems to reset and auto-switching gets turned back on by itself) but I still find it confusing. What are the other icons over my defending players for and do they need to be displayed?

Hi, the circle indicates the player you are in control.
On defense, the triangle above indicates the player you would control if you push left trigger to change player.
if I remember well PES had a similar system, but I might be wrong....

Thanks mate, you gave me a huge compliment, my English is very 'broken' :-) I'm Italian and I support Fiorentina
The idea is to collect some money and expand the team. I started as indie game developer when I was a teenager on Commodore Amiga.
At the moment I am developing a second game, more ambitious and more spectacular....it is a Futsal game but I had to suspend the development to complete Active Soccer. It is really innovative and I look forward to work again on it
View attachment 209494
Whoa man, this looks ACE. Really hope you'll go back to it, would love a proper futsal game without Volta shenanigans. Needless to say I'd support this too in an heartbeat!

Definitely, just look at the massive success of Rocket League as a 2v2 online pseudo-football game. There's got to be an opportunity for you to make a decent multi-player arcade football game that isn't bogged down in the micro-transaction greed of EA and Konami.

Good luck, great work so far. Have posted an initial review on Steam.

One issue I'll mention - I've not seen anyone else mention it so perhaps it's just me. It is clear from the circle icon which player I am controlling when I have possession of the ball but when I don't have possession, additional icons appear and I find it visually confusing as to which player I'm supposed to be controlling, particularly when I'm clicking to switch to control a different player - I find myself visually hunting around the screen trying to identify which player I'm now controlling. I've turned off the option to auto-switch (because that makes it worse - and it sometimes the option seems to reset and auto-switching gets turned back on by itself) but I still find it confusing. What are the other icons over my defending players for and do they need to be displayed?

Also, agree with the comment about ball shadow - glad it'll be addressed.
It's not that easy to make an online 5vs5 futsal game. He needs to find a way to make the game based on controller skills like Rocket League. This means he needs to implement twin stick controls that are both responsive and innovative. It's very difficult.

How does the team editor work? I can see a note on Steam about editing csv files and there are csv edit_player and edit_teams files in the folder Steam\Active Soccer 2023\ActiveSoccer2022\Content\Movies\template_editor, but when I edit them, the changes don't appear in game.

EDIT - just discovered this deep in the notes in Steam:

There are 2 files in the Active Soccer installation folder:
- edit_teams.csv
- edit_players.csv
located at the path %installation_path%\ActiveSoccer2022\Content\Movies\template_editor.

You have to copy the two files in the following folder c:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\ActiveSoccer2022\Saved

Once you have opened the files you only have to edit the cells of the columns New_Player_Name and New_Shirt_Name (for players) and New_Team_Name and New_Team_Name_Abbr (for teams)

Don't edit the other info, otherwise the game will not work.
In any time if you have a crash or want to remove the edited players just delete the 2 files and the game will restore the original names

Last edited:
Is radar fix it too? It was on the left-up corner, no matter which setting you chose, and it's pretty annoying and useless there, I think must be as in any PES and FIFA games, middle in the bottom.

Is radar fix it too? It was on the left-up corner, no matter which setting you chose, and it's pretty annoying and useless there, I think must be as in any PES and FIFA games, middle in the bottom.
Yeah having the radar at the bottom in the centre would make sense as it's there that we're used to look when we need to use it.
In my opinion, it could also be even a little smaller (yes, I've already set it to "small" in the options but I still find it a bit too big).

By the way, @TheFoxSoft, out of curiosity: did you perhaps play Total Soccer (and/or Total Soccer 2000) in your youth? Some things in this game remind me of that (and, despite not being technically advanced like FIFA 99/ISS Pro/ISS 98 were, it was arcade, pretty easy to pick up but kinda difficult to tame, and fun).
The radar at the top left with the score display at the top right, the circle below the player you're controlling (which, more than 20 years ago when Total Soccer 2000 was released, was much like a hexagon), the aftertouch (Which I guess both Active Soccer and Total Soccer borrowed from SWOS)...
This game has a "Total Soccer" feeling to me (and I like that)!

This has taken me back to SWOS big time. I’m enjoying it and realise it’s early days but it’s fun. As always with me and football games, I’ve started editing it 😂

The ability to add in new leagues, teams and players would be great too in future. Well done 👍

Ok, radar position settings is now in my todo list ;-)
Trivia on why the radar is at top-left: the game has been designed to play vertically so bottom center would have not worked because it would have obscured the goal in the bottom.
I am grew up with Kick Off and of course I find bottom center FIFA / PES radar useless because eyes go automatically upper-left, so why not let user decide the radar position? It seems a great idea

Yeah having the radar at the bottom in the centre would make sense as it's there that we're used to look when we need to use it.
In my opinion, it could also be even a little smaller (yes, I've already set it to "small" in the options but I still find it a bit too big).

By the way, @TheFoxSoft, out of curiosity: did you perhaps play Total Soccer (and/or Total Soccer 2000) in your youth? Some things in this game remind me of that (and, despite not being technically advanced like FIFA 99/ISS Pro/ISS 98 were, it was arcade, pretty easy to pick up but kinda difficult to tame, and fun).
The radar at the top left with the score display at the top right, the circle below the player you're controlling (which, more than 20 years ago when Total Soccer 2000 was released, was much like a hexagon), the aftertouch (Which I guess both Active Soccer and Total Soccer borrowed from SWOS)...
This game has a "Total Soccer" feeling to me (and I like that)!

Of course I loved Total Soccer and Total Soccer 2000.
The aftertouch and ball physics in general takes inspiration from Kick Off 2, it was more realistic than SWOS.
On the other hand the career mode, player database, etc is borrowed from SWOS...

Of course I loved Total Soccer and Total Soccer 2000.
The aftertouch and ball physics in general takes inspiration from Kick Off 2, it was more realistic than SWOS.
On the other hand the career mode, player database, etc is borrowed from SWOS...
It's a genius idea, just take inspiration from each good football game. Now you just need to take FIFA's best original idea, (no not FUT, that's the worst addition ever ;) and not anything from gameplay, as that was all lifted from ISS/PES games). I mean Pro Clubs, or at least the ability to play co-op 2v2, 3v3 online. I'm trying to think what inspirational ideas you could take from ISS/PES. Perhaps the addition of starting as a poor original default team, much like Master League, with Castello, Huygens etc. Then you have to get wins to earn £ to slowly improve your team. I would quite like the addition of basic skill moves like Del Piero's stepovers, fake shot etc.

Well up to 4 vs 4 match could be implemented in theory, although I still have to work on online mode.
I never played FIFA (this might surprises most of you :-) so can you briefly explain what Pro Clubs is about?

Well up to 4 vs 4 match could be implemented in theory, although I still have to work on online mode.
I never played FIFA (this might surprises most of you :-) so can you briefly explain what Pro Clubs is about?
Pro clubs is where you control just one player. Basically up to 11v11 match :)

Pro clubs is where you control just one player. Basically up to 11v11 match :)
Yup. 4v4 would work just as well though. Pro Clubs allows one guy to control all spare players, so if it's 4 humans v 4 humans, but 11 are on each side., one human controls the spare 7 players on his team.

Basically, Pro Clubs mode replicates a football team the most of any game mode, purely because everyone controls just one player, their player and you need teamwork, communication etc to succeed, you have to work together like an actual team, just like in real football.

i know some time ago i asked if you can add also lan multiplayer mode, will be good just in case the online server went down we could still play with friends via hamachi or any other vpn software :)

hey, this is something REALLY INTERESTING! I will explore this idea, great feedback, thanks!
If you do look at that, can I also suggest adding aftertouch to passing (at least to manual passing)?

Also, if adding multi-player 4v4 or 5v5 is very difficult, 2v2 can be great fun (and it's easier to arrange getting 4 people together at an agreed time than 8 or 10).

If you add a form of Pro Clubs just make sure it ain't scripted to hell like FIFA's.

1 min your created player reflects his stats, the next you can't make a 2 yard pass and want to launch the TV across the Garden.

I'm currently banned by my wife from Pro Clubs as I play with my son who doesn't live here and all she hears is me losing my mind.

@TheFoxSoft Hi there! I was wondering if perhaps there was any chance that the match duration could be changed in future editions to include 15 and 20 minute matches. :) I wrote this suggestion a few posts ago but would like to know if this change would be feasible, I think this option would really improve the experience even further. Thanks a lot for your hard work! :TU:

Last edited:
@TheFoxSoft Hi there! I was wondering if perhaps there was any chance that the match duration could be changed in future editions to include 15 and 20 minute matches. :) I wrote this suggestion a few posts ago but would like to know if this change would be feasible, I think this option would really improve the experience even further. Thanks a lot for your hard work! :TU:
ok!

@TheFoxSoft Brilliant! Just read in the thread that update #2 will feature 15-20 minute games, that's awesome!!

One question.. Does the game update automatically through steam, or are there any other steps that need to be followed? Hope you get better from your flu, bro! :TU:

@TheFoxSoft Hi there! I was wondering if perhaps I could make a small suggestion for future updates. :)

The game itself is playing really nice! After the 2nd update, I've noticed some nice changes in the passing (I think especially through passing), which have really worked well. Also, I just played a match in stormy conditions and the thunder effect + the chants + the ball physics on the wet pitch really made for a cool atmosphere! In addition, really enjoyed the fact that we can play 15 and 20 minute games now!

One thing I think would really further improve the game is some kind of commentary. Are there any plans to include commentary in the game, even if it's a bit basic/not as frequent etc? I think this would really take the whole experience to the next level! :TU: Great job man!

Last edited:
Hi
@TheFoxSoft Hi there! I was wondering if perhaps I could make a small suggestion for future updates. :)

The game itself is playing really nice! After the 2nd update, I've noticed some nice changes in the passing (I think especially through passing), which have really worked well. Also, I just played a match in stormy conditions and the thunder effect + the chants + the ball physics on the wet pitch really made for a cool atmosphere! In addition, really enjoyed the fact that we can play 15 and 20 minute games now!

One thing I think would really further improve the game is some kind of commentary. Are there any plans to include commentary in the game, even if it's a bit basic/not as frequent etc? I think this would really take the whole experience to the next level! :TU: Great job man!

Hi,
there are already so many requests that I can't put everything in.
Commentary will be added in an eventual sequel.
In the meanwhile I am working on Patch #3, what's new:

controls accuracy
One of the key areas we are focusing on is improving the accuracy of shots and passes. In the current patch, we are implementing a new system that takes into account the direction of the button release to improve the accuracy of shots and passes. This means that players will have more control over the direction of the ball, even after releasing the button.

reworked aftertouch
We are also implementing a new aftertouch feature that will give players even more control over the ball. With more intensity and greater control, this feature will allow players to swerve the ball in ways they couldn't before.

button X: auto pressing
In addition to these improvements, we are also introducing an "auto pressing" feature; by pressing the button X, a second player will go to press the player dribbling the ball, allowing for more strategic play and more opportunities to regain possession.

button Y: goalkeeper rush out
Press the Y button to manually make the goalkeeper rush out.

Improvements in the team selection screen
The team selection screen has undergone enhancements to enhance the user experience. One notable addition is the inclusion of support arrows, providing visual cues to help users move through the options more efficiently. Another noteworthy improvement is the introduction of a feature that saves the last teams chosen by the user. This means that when accessing the team selection screen again, the previously selected teams will be remembered and readily available for quick selection

These changes are just the beginning, and we are constantly working to improve the game further. Stay tuned for more updates on our progress as we work to make the game even better.

Hi

Hi,
there are already so many requests that I can't put everything in.
Commentary will be added in an eventual sequel.
In the meanwhile I am working on Patch #3, what's new:

controls accuracy
One of the key areas we are focusing on is improving the accuracy of shots and passes. In the current patch, we are implementing a new system that takes into account the direction of the button release to improve the accuracy of shots and passes. This means that players will have more control over the direction of the ball, even after releasing the button.

reworked aftertouch
We are also implementing a new aftertouch feature that will give players even more control over the ball. With more intensity and greater control, this feature will allow players to swerve the ball in ways they couldn't before.

button X: auto pressing
In addition to these improvements, we are also introducing an "auto pressing" feature; by pressing the button X, a second player will go to press the player dribbling the ball, allowing for more strategic play and more opportunities to regain possession.

button Y: goalkeeper rush out
Press the Y button to manually make the goalkeeper rush out.

Improvements in the team selection screen
The team selection screen has undergone enhancements to enhance the user experience. One notable addition is the inclusion of support arrows, providing visual cues to help users move through the options more efficiently. Another noteworthy improvement is the introduction of a feature that saves the last teams chosen by the user. This means that when accessing the team selection screen again, the previously selected teams will be remembered and readily available for quick selection

These changes are just the beginning, and we are constantly working to improve the game further. Stay tuned for more updates on our progress as we work to make the game even better.
that's nice!

Back
Top Bottom