1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

Your Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by danwin, 4 February 2005.

1. danwin

danwin Oak Hard

1 December 2003
    I haven't read a book in ages, the last book I read was The Rules Of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis, which was great. So has anyone got any recommendations or personal favorites? I really need to start reading more.

2. Ike

Ike permaninizated

18 March 2003
    if you like Ellis, read American Psycho. the rest he wrote wasn't half as good. i read Glamorama recently, very boring 800 pages.

i always like Lord Of The Rings a lot, definitely worth reading if you're not fed up with all the movies and games about it recently. Terry Pratchett is always nice to read, as well as John Earving. and another one i always liked: Stiller by Max Frisch, but i'm not sure if the translation is worth reading.

3. danwin

danwin Oak Hard

1 December 2003
    Yeah, I've read most of Ellis' books, has anyone read any Phillip K Dick? He's a fantastic Sci-Fi writer. I'm not spamming am I? Someone be sure to tell me if I am.

4. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Resident PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    The Bourne Identity (and the rest of the trilogy); Brian Clough - Walking On Water. Love them. Currently reading Rainbow Six and it's nowhere near as good as Bourne - really over-technical, no emotion.

5. loz

loz Guest

Girlfriend in a come - a fanstasy/thriller book, totally excellent.

or the dave pelzer books are always good for a true life story, very gripping . .

6. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Yes, yes - completely forgot about those. Absolutely fantastic, A Child Called It etc... Brilliant.

7. codex

codex Guest

im too lazy for books :D

8. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Next time you guys want to take out your anger on "spammers"... *COUGHlookupCOUGH*

9. joostebrood

joostebrood Premiership

4 March 2002
    The Acid House - Irvine Welsh
    Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
    Figuranten - Arnon Grunberg
    De Asielzoeker - Arnin Grunberg
    Hurricane - Carl Hiaasen

10. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    The Last Don - Mario Puzo
    The Sicilian - Mario Puzo

11. H@$$@N

H@$$@N Guest

MAXIM , FHM , STUFF

12. Black

Black Guest

steven king: The stand or IT is great

13. slasher

slasher Take that Mr Silva

21 June 2003
    Belfast
    Man United
    roy keane: how to make arsenal shit themselves.... i mean autobiography :p good book.
    though the best sports book i read has to be tony cascarinos book, some of it read like fiction.

14. pbchillin

pbchillin Awooooooga!

9 April 2003
    Cambodia
    Chelsea
    The Karma Sutra....

The Da Vinci Code is quite good.

15. joostebrood

joostebrood Premiership

4 March 2002
    The Sicilian was great indeed, haven't read The Last Don. If you like books about the mafia, go and read the books about Paul Castellano and John Gotti. I also read the book about the Russian mafia written by Robert Friedman, shocking book.

16. Stan

Stan Allez les Lionceaux !!!

12 September 2002
    In Dutch: Omega Minor by Paul Verhaeren
    Ask the Dusk by John Fante
    The Bonfire of Vanities by Tom Wolff
    Everything by Thomas Pynchon
    Everything by Michael Dibdin (thrillers)
    The last book by Carlos Fuentes: The chair of the Eagle

17. slasher

21 June 2003
    Belfast
    Man United
    the da vinci code may be a good book, but it's based on bullshit as proved by the programme on ch4 on thu.

18. danwin

danwin Oak Hard

1 December 2003
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHA, you guys crack me up!

19. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    I'll try to find them. Books about Castellano and Gotti, as in biographies? Or do you mean fictional books, just based on Castellano and Gotti?

Last edited: 5 February 2005
  20. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    I found the Great Gatsby a good read.

21. SPiTFiRE

SPiTFiRE Eus├ębio forever

6 April 2004
    SL Benfica
    I'm now reading Eragon, it's great.

Last edited: 5 February 2005
  22. LemonJelly

LemonJelly Bungie's Bitch Staff

28 August 2002
    UK
    It's brainless reading but I really enjoy reading the Dirk Pitt stories by Clive Cussler. It's very James Bond in it's style so they are just great fun to read. I also love reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Peter James writes a good story. My brother got me the 3 Halo books for Xmas, I was really skeptical about them but actually they are really well written. I will also be brave and admit to reading the 5 Harry Potter books :D

23. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    This is about comics, but the Metal Gear Solid comics stink. I thought they were going to be about big boss and co, but instead its just Metal Gear Solid summed up as a comic.

24. Derfil

Derfil Big Boss

6 July 2004
    Here
    A.C. Milan
    I'm not a reader :-s ...

25. joostebrood

joostebrood Premiership

4 March 2002
    Biographies, the one about Castellano is written from the point of view of the FBI. It's quite fascinating to see how they work and what the mafia does to avoid them.

26. Carl

Carl Ban Master Staff

27 December 2001
    N.I.
    West Ham United FC
    I enjoyed the Da Vinci code, but it was sold as fiction so I aint too worried about it being a load of bobbins, I thought the style in which it was written was good.

Not sure what my favourite book of all time is, but I have read everything that Michael Crichton has done, I think his way of conveying a story is amazing, Jurassic Park and The Lost World are probably my favourites, neither film done the book justice, esp The Lost World.

Another author I highly rate is Timothy Zahn, he wrote a Star Wars trilogy set after the orginal 3 movies and then another couple of books a few years later. For me they really just seemed to continue the SW story perfectly. I have just checked another SW book by him was released in Dec, will have to track that down then! Wahoo.

Last edited: 6 February 2005
  27. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    I see, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

- Baudolino, written by Umberto Eco is a good book as well (non-mafia though).

28. slasher

21 June 2003
    Belfast
    Man United

sold as fiction but on the opening couple of pages it tries to state fact about a secret organisation living today that were supposed desendants from christ. if d.brown had done his research properly (which he probably did, but went ahead anyway, for the love of the green) then he would have found that this secret organisation was made up by a couple of french people in the 1950's., who later admitted to making it up and publishing a book on it. so it slightly pisses me off a bit when this info was readliy available to researchers but the guy decided to go ahead with the book and make it seem like fact intwined with fiction.

29. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Any book on Silvio Berlusconi might be interesting Don.

30. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    Are you being serious?