Your Favorite Book

If you like Dick ;) try and track down Robert Sheckley a Sci-fi writer from the 50s I think, loads of his stories I have read appear as very similar themed films.

Everything from Ian Rankin, at the moment i'm reading his last one: Fleshmarket Close. What do our Scottish members think of him???

Anything that James Patterson writes on his own. Four Blind Mice, Roses are Red.

Can anyone recommend a few books for me?

I read (if that's what you call it) "Maus" the other day, the Pulitzer-Prize winning graphic novel, and I loved it. I'd love to read something similar (not a graphic novel - World War II stories, particularly those of the survivors, rather than the armies). Little things in Maus made me really interested to read more.

Such as, when the author's dad was trying to move sugar from his (legal) shop to sell illegally, when the Nazi police found him - so he quickly said that he was delivering the sugar to a shop, and went back to his own shop to find a very puzzled co-owner who opened the door, saw the police and just said "thank you very much"... :)

Any suggestions? (I've just realised I've never read Anne Frank's diaries - any good?)

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden (Black Hawk Down).

I can't recommend it enough to anyone who has even a passing interest in Pablo Escobar. This guy was a serious joker. I don't want to ruin it but the stuff that he got away with out of a combination of fear, respect, money and utter incompetence from the Columbian government is beyond belief.

I'm a fan of Cussler adventure nonsense too :)

I just finished Velocity by Dean Koontz, and as much as I wouldn't normally read his stuff it was really tense and had lots of twists and stuff going on - loved it.

Now reading The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury, lots of mystery etc. so far so I'm loving it, and then I have The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks to read which looks good.

Not sure I could ever pick a favourite book ever, but the first Discworld book - The Colour Of Magic - made me love the series, and from my childhood I love Issi Noho.

Maybe I'm mistakening the movie with tv series. I remember the one about the mutant who lived in some weird tower.

attack-of-the-mutant.jpg

This was my favourite Goosebumps book.

637109-Goosebumps-Attack-of-the-Mutant-093007712366.jpg

Heres the PC game of it.

Last edited:
I read a few books by the Japanese writer Murakami Haruki, he's written some really interesting stuff including The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood which is a big cult book in Japan. Some of the writing is a little strange (lost in translation) but is an intersting insight into Japanese culture. The descriptive sex scenes are hilarious.

I also read a book called I Lucifer which is basically about satan returning to earth in a recently deceased body, has some fantastic biblical satire.

Back
Top Bottom