What do you want from football games in the future?

klashman69

Fight the Power!
28 November 2007
I Travel.
Ok, I am starting a thread for us to describe the gameplay elements YOU want in a football game.

Preferably this will be taking elements from all football game you have played and putting them all together into one game.

The reasoning for this thread is how this place and the opinions and peoples views of what they want in a football game is just so diverse these days, with many old dogmas being carried forward and new elements from games not being acknowledged, this is about a discussion be in FIFA, PES or whatever football game, what you specifically look for in a football game which pleases you.

Also i think we can all agree both big football titles have flattered to deceive the latest console generations and i feel the money grabbing companies which run each game just aren't bringing enough creativity to the table which our passions show. Instead we can talk about what is possible with the technology available.

Also football is a visual game so please post as much video media as possible.

All we want is a simple and natural gameplay that's all. Especially when playing offline. Get rid of the stupid scripting like precise on rail passing when not on manual control, reduce CPU low shots, fix the player's jumping animation when tackled, fix referee's giving advantage when not needed, fix script for CPU wasting time in the corner even when they are 6-0 up. Fix how the CPU do not pressure and stay back when we do not move our player/touch our controllers. I think PES 2016 is on the right track, Konami just needs to listen to community and PES 2017 will be a great game. I really believe that EA have staffs that dives into the community to see the situations going on with their fans and they fix it in every update, that what konami should do.

Realism. No CPU shortcuts to winning (if the CPU can't beat me within the allowances of the players' attributes, then it shouldn't be resorting to impeding or manipulating my players).

Tactical importance and an engine that means you have to play intelligently to win (this is much more difficult to achieve but I feel like we're getting closer).

An online manager mode would be great, too - I've been waiting for that for about 15 years. Something that doesn't rely on silly virtual trading cards or random chance to get your players (PES were trying, at least, with ML Online, and then they ditched it because it didn't have micro-transactions).

Just like Chris: realism and no cheating CPU teams.

Furthermore.

Individualism: a distinctive playing style for both individual players and teams. I want player stats, but perhaps also team stats (only if the CPU plays with that team, if the player is that team, then the playing style should be defined by the tactical set-up the player has chosen).

And logical after what i just wrote: more tactical settings. Modern football is more and more about off the ball movement. Give us the tactical instruments to play distinctive playing styles (Bielsa, Pocchtino, Klopp or ou own tactical playing styles).

I want intelligent competitions: now avery game in a league or a ML stands on it's own. That is not realistic. If a team has a poor run, it should be easier to win from and vice versa. If a player scores a hattrick, the next match he should be on a red arrow.
Team spirit is a good idea, but it should reworked.

Playing with Atletico Madrid against Sevilla when Atletico has team spirit of 79 and Sevilla 91 is not realistic.

And also, the game should be more customizable (difficulty for example), NBA2K games are the example to follow (much better than FIFA).

Also pay attention to immersive elements: stadiums (licensed or unlicensed), more licenses (why not from lesser leagues?), correct rosters even for lesser known teams. Qarabag, Gent and Bastia are as important as Real Madrid.

I want the ability to earn space with specific players, and also earn space to have a long shot, cause back in the old days that's what it was all about, also first touch error needs working as well.

Proper set pieces where you can create routines or decide where you want your players to be during free kicks and corners.

I don't think Konami appreciate teams and players that aren't the worlds greatest (i have seen someone else (gerd?) on here label that criticism towards them too). Sometimes they chase to emulate the fantastic yet rarely seen majestic side of the game and fail to get the simple things right.

The way the AI take their throw ins is ludicrous, even on the highest level you can intercept nearly EVERY throw in, players should be hassling and moving, there should be an option to work your way down the line with a long throw you can't do these things because your players are all 20 yards away from each other in a formation rather than reacting to the event. the same goes for free kicks. why can't I pump the ball to a crowded box from the half way line? why are my corners completely random as to where my players will stand and attack?

adding something like this to the game not only increases AI variation and individuality, it will add variation to the type and amount of goals scored. right now if you concede to a free kick or corner against the AI it feels cheap and calculated, its because every set piece is the same and therefore so are the goals scored from them.

A stat based game, like every other simulation on the market. At this point Fifa and Pes are dead horses, build for instant gratification and just for selling more cards on FUT/MyClub.
Remove all the assistance and we'll have, maybe, a decent football game.

I don't agree that all assistance needs getting rid of, but I'd LOVE to see fully-assisted got rid of (for passing, shooting, everything - leaving just semi-assisted or manual).

FUT / MyClub are definitely bad for us, though. I'd love to see the guys like myself who play the CPU catered for with a bit more love, and I'd play online if it resembled reality and not just "buy packs of virtual cards".

I've wanted a "proper" online manager mode since the days of SWOS. I don't care if it doesn't use real players, I just want a transfer/wage budget, an online transfer market, a league, a cup, players to keep happy, tactics that mean something and some longevity.

Proper set pieces where you can create routines or decide where you want your players to be during free kicks and corners.

I don't think Konami appreciate teams and players that aren't the worlds greatest (i have seen someone else (gerd?) on here label that criticism towards them too). Sometimes they chase to emulate the fantastic yet rarely seen majestic side of the game and fail to get the simple things right.

The way the AI take their throw ins is ludicrous, even on the highest level you can intercept nearly EVERY throw in, players should be hassling and moving, there should be an option to work your way down the line with a long throw you can't do these things because your players are all 20 yards away from each other in a formation rather than reacting to the event. the same goes for free kicks. why can't I pump the ball to a crowded box from the half way line? why are my corners completely random as to where my players will stand and attack?

adding something like this to the game not only increases AI variation and individuality, it will add variation to the type and amount of goals scored. right now if you concede to a free kick or corner against the AI it feels cheap and calculated, its because every set piece is the same and therefore so are the goals scored from them.

essential. no footy game worked on that so far ...well besides FIFA for corners and both games at goal kicks. altough set pieces are very important in nowdays football especially for low league teams. FIFA just should use those tactics for every set piece

First and foremost they should stop being released every single year. Having a release date set every year means laughable progress for full price we pay. Seriously!

Licenses have to be removed, at least major ones that I imagine cost ridiculous amounts of cash. In era of Steam Workshop and massive modding communities who needs licenses? Neymar Generation salivating over that new merkuriore varupurior 5000 boots and naykee abidas kits would cry true, and sorry for being harsh but they can fulfill their desires with FIFA aye (and if any of you plays FIFA listen up I don't blame you no I don't, just in case). Even if you get all licenses in the world, modders will still remake and edit them to fit their needs, especially when given infrastructure and stuff. Steam Workshop, a set of tools so you don't have to do some crazy hex-editing and breaking the game from inside, and we are set babe. Knowing myself (if I was a man in charge of such game) I would just make tons of fake teams, players, sponsors, competitions, my very own football universe. Alternatively I can see doing stuff like getting few Championship and lower English league licenses, something from other parts of UK and making up my own British Royal League some sort of thing, without having to support all these premier and champions league deals that cost a lot and bring literally nothing.

If people wanna mod in their barsaloonas and madritos - let them. If they want to add in some lesser known league, hey I'm all for that too, here's Workshop, tools, go for it. I have neither time nor monies for this even if I wanted to.

Some cool online mods, honestly I like FUT, or even MyClub ideas in principle, but they crumble because of microtransactions, horrible servers, or both. I am not a pro gamer or any elitist oh hell no, but I say no to damn weak-ass kiddos who wanna win with moneys and draw THAT AMAZING 1760 PACE ABAMAYONGI COZ PACE. Seriously what has happened to football and games these days, I imagine you could sum it up with #firstworldthings you see.

Master League Mode never seen before, with players being able to edit all the leagues, their rules, setup, international competitions, preferably make them downloadable as presets in Workshop. Honestly I would have to spend a lot of time to craft my perfect ML Mode, so let's just say it's fully editable, challenging (remember fatigue from older PES?), and rewarding in some meaningful way.

Now I know you guys probably didn't consider these things, but let me tell you my opinion on topic is a.) football games are stagnating, for price of PES/FIFA I could have at least three games on Steam that are actually better or at least more innovative b.) it's weird to admit but I really started hating football in recent days, which due to let's call it commercial pressure now has to cater to people who'll buy merchandise, watch advertisements and get the monies rolling. Now you could say I should stay away from this part of football and you are right, but on the other hand I guess I'm just tired of this sport after so many years. Something's wrong with the football world and I just can't get back into it at all.

So to sum up, both video game and the real one need some sort of cleansing, a Holy Inquisition setting people on fire, bringing the revolution, because it all became so stale I literally cannot stand it.

If we're talking futuristic, and low-priority...

...I'd love to see VR enter into football games. The idea of controlling a single footballer (Become a Legend / Be A Pro style) and being able to move my head to follow the ball properly from a first-person point of view - I'd love to see that before I die.

Virtually heading in a winning goal at Anfield (and there's already a VR game in development based purely on heading a football into a goal)... I'd love that.

Even playing PES/FIFA in the traditional manner (sideline view), I think VR can add something.

Imagine being able to customise the camera so that you can look left/right to scroll/expand the view of the pitch, so that you can use a close-up camera for dribbling, then zoom it out to find a teammate to pass to.

Last edited:
The main things I'm interested in are an excellent offline mode and editing.

The PES 2016 ML mode is a hell of an improvement from previous years and although it's took them long enough, the ideas are solid. The team role idea is really good. The team spirit system is good in theory but needs fine-tuning, as mentioned by others- too easy/unrewarding when TS is high. Konami need to keep improving the ML, test it and improve it some more to make it the best it can be. Player loyalty, disruptive players etc. Why not bring back the 'ML Difficulty' option?

Couldn't agree more with Gerd about Stadiums and 'lesser' league licenses. A good stadium creator would be fantastic- one that allows us to create new and old style stadiums- big and small.

I'm possibly on my own with this bit....
I really used to be a fan of the Classic National teams. I'd like to see them come back and some more added. Get the players researched and playing styles/stas etc nalied.
I think it would be a good idea to have a seperate section for these 'Fantasy Teams' where users can create as many teams as they like from scratch- Classic era teams/Classic Club teams/Local Pub teams/Evil Dictators or whatever the hell they like. In this section, you could create custom tournaments and leagues. There could be an option for any of the players to be activated for ML or BaL if selected.
I've seen some great threads around with kits and appearances for classics, so I think people would use it. If loads of people don't use it, then it can be easy avoided. It would just need Konami to implement it, then leave it to the user.

Talking about classicteams, why not a scenario mode where you replay classic matches, for example the CL final in Istambul with that AC Milan team and you have to defend the 3-0 lead against Liverpool.

Replay the WC finals with Holland and try to win them... There are possibilities enough. Perhaps also the possibility to buy new scenario's.

Scenario's in league or ML mode. You take over a team that is in the relegation zone (and if it's a good team, with plenty of injuries) and you have 5 seasons to try and win European silverware.
But all this is not as important as goog solid gameplay...

a game that actually gets the fundamentals down. PES5 was a good base but they've gone so far away from that since.

Aside from gameplay,

I want to be part of the football world. My dream game is Football manager but being able to play the game myself. Also, using the football manager idea to be a player and have a career. Go through youth teams etc...

That's all I want from a football game outside of the gameplay.

Aside from gameplay,

I want to be part of the football world. My dream game is Football manager but being able to play the game myself. Also, using the football manager idea to be a player and have a career. Go through youth teams etc...

That's all I want from a football game outside of the gameplay.

This was possible 12 years ago with FIFA's football fusion between Total Club Manager and FIFA 2004 and 2005.

Problem was it was just buggy beyond belief, there where so many cheap ways to sign top players it was just, yuck!

Idea was revolutionary though and im still kinda shocked they haven't tried it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTzFEJVv4Y

I'm mostly satisfied with the quality of FIFA's animations and physics systems at the moment, though PES has an element of class and smoothness at times that I'd like FIFA to incorporate. So for the future I'd be happy with the continued evolution of the current tech, though I'd like greater photo realism in terms of the visual style.

Most importantly, what I want in the future is a FIFA with a vastly improved AI and tactical system. And I want a game that has FIFA's league licenses but with PES's tournaments. And I want a single player management mode that doesn't feel like an afterthought.

I would like more suspense during the penalty shootout sessions!!!
Every penalty should be introduced by a scene as long as the current version's first penalty, or better: as long as the current possible “decisive penalty” (Player that comes from the middle of the field to the box and puts the ball on the penalty spot, gkeepers that rub their gloves, the player who backs off to take the run, and once the penalty has been kicked It would be great to see 2 replays at least from two different angles of view, while the next player goes to lay the ball on the penalty spot, etc etc).
Do you understand what i mean?
Penalty shootouts have been too crude in all Pes history, i think that if you are playing for a world cup and you arrive at Penalty shootouts, you need to live a magic and tense experience.

Fifa to build on this year as it's going in the right direction

Fully customised cameras

Adam bahti to stop announcing silly press'awards' after an hours play test 3 months before the games released

If its about merging:

1. Take most of the manager career elements of Fifa (stories, how commentator changes on entering matches if new player etc) more in depth.
2. Keep all of Konami control but put Jostle off the ball back on right stick or player select as optional under controls settings for right stick
3. Apply set pieces much like Fifa has but more intuitive and better save options to store them for quick load
4. Certainly more dynamic commentator like Fifa has (a set of two commentators as Fifa has also)
5. Graphics and crowed simply have to be on par to NG IE: NBA2K16(ish)
6. More dynamic and better cut scenes / variation per situation, getting tired of team line up watching "the one third from the end of the home team tapping away at his leg muscles" :) Also option to switch all cut scenes on and varied substitute cut scenes. Injury scenes more varied and not cutting too short.
7. Fatigue and cramping more visible like Fifa
8. Handball introduced (and Refs fixed being so lenient on AI)
9. More adjustable camera options (this includes the broadcast camera that can have a few save slots)
10. Stadium editor/creator
11. More flexibility for modders and modding for scoreboard makers (open things up like fifa with xml rather than having people hex editing to death).
12. Sliders like fifa for ball speed, game speed (so we can adjust game speed more refined adjustments) ... well basicly what Jenkeys did with fileloader for these things but in the game settings.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I want to see is some kind of career stats for players.

Say you've only got £8million to spend on a striker, it would be nice if it had his appearances and goals tally. That way you can make better decisions in the transfer market if that player is right for your club or not.

Also be nice to see how many games players have played for your club etc... save me time having to write it all down at the end of each season myself!

I have exactly the same feeling as Chris Davies when playing against some stronger opponents. It seems it's impossible to win some matches, no matter what you do.

I don't mind loosing matches, but not because for some reason my CB decided to do a turn around the ball or my defenders not being able to pass the ball correctly over a distantie of two meters.

This thread needs to die (definitely) and start again (maybe). This time no ridiculous straw men arguments by an overzealous and heavy-handed OP please.

Just like Chris: realism and no cheating CPU teams.

Furthermore.

Individualism: a distinctive playing style for both individual players and teams. I want player stats, but perhaps also team stats (only if the CPU plays with that team, if the player is that team, then the playing style should be defined by the tactical set-up the player has chosen).

And logical after what i just wrote: more tactical settings. Modern football is more and more about off the ball movement. Give us the tactical instruments to play distinctive playing styles (Bielsa, Pocchtino, Klopp or ou own tactical playing styles).

I want intelligent competitions: now avery game in a league or a ML stands on it's own. That is not realistic. If a team has a poor run, it should be easier to win from and vice versa. If a player scores a hattrick, the next match he should be on a red arrow.
Team spirit is a good idea, but it should reworked.

Playing with Atletico Madrid against Sevilla when Atletico has team spirit of 79 and Sevilla 91 is not realistic.

And also, the game should be more customizable (difficulty for example), NBA2K games are the example to follow (much better than FIFA).

Also pay attention to immersive elements: stadiums (licensed or unlicensed), more licenses (why not from lesser leagues?), correct rosters even for lesser known teams. Qarabag, Gent and Bastia are as important as Real Madrid.
couldnt agree more about team spirit being 99 for away team who lost first leg for example, and urs is 84 or 82, totally unrealistic.

Just like Chris: no cheating CPU teams.
I've been saying for years that game devs need to include an option to shut off the ridiculous momentum coding in all these sports games these days. That's about all I ask. And actually, the FIFA 16 demo doesn't have any of the cheat coding found in the full game or in PES, it plays a fantastic game of football. The demo is all I've been playing for months now, I don't need much as I said.

FIFA 16 with Women, set to fully manual is the most advanced, accurate, complete, down-to-earth soccer simulator. I could say it is the Dirt Rally of football games.
The freedom, the unpredictableness, the stuggle and the excitement of real soccer are depicted very good. Of course there is space for improvement, such as more fluid animations and better collision physics but the overall experience is very rewarding.
So what i want from a soccer game? To be like FIFA 16 with Women, with more fluid animations, more backspin on the ball and maybe better player models. All the rest are spot on in FIFA 16 women/manual.

Back
Top Bottom