What do you have for your evening meal?

Metallica

Whoosh... Bullshit!
20 August 2003
Pissed up in Sam Platt's
Hello everyone, not made a thread for a while, was just wondering what all you members around the globe have for your evening meal dinner/tea. Whether it be at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm

Evoweb is a multicultural forum now with members from all 4 corners of the world, so I would love to know what you all eat.

Do you have condiments?

State your country and disclose details of any meals you have on a general day to day basis

Provide pics if you want!

Go!

I have something different every night

Last night i made some tandoori chicken, tomorrow i'm gonna make some curry mutton

Not any kind of specific meal to the UK except a traditional Sunday Roast, i just love a good variety of food :LOL:

Curry Mutton with Rice and Peas tonight

Seasoned it all yesterday and whacked in it the slow cooker earlier

I hope it comes out nice :LOL:

Italian food in the UK is better than Italian food in Italy.

That includes eating everything from a veal slice that looked like a slipper in Bormio to supposedly eating great pasta in a posh restaurant in Portofino. Versus Italian places over here that are generally very nice.

Last edited:

That includes eating everything from a veal slice that looked like a slipper in Bormio to supposedly eating great pasta in a posh restaurant in Portofino. Versus Italian places over here that are generally very nice.

no way!! :CONFUSE:

you eaten in Sorrento or Amalfi Coast? simply amazing cuisine, best food in the world...

The only place I have been to here which is amazing restaurant is a little Italian owned place on the marina....amazing fish dishes.

it is cliche that all us Italians just eat pizza and pasta too...where I am from in northern italy we were brought up on good fish and veal :WORSHIP:

And I thought the arsenal fan who said moyer should be there manager, said something stupid.....

It could admittedly be down to localised tastes. Similar to Chinese food being better over here than in China. It probably isn't but it's tuned towards what we like.

I swear I've never had a decent meal when I've been to Italy though. When I stayed at Lake Garda the food was shocking, the area around Lake Bracciano was even worse. Bormio probably doesn't count because we stayed in a hostel and they probably weren't used to having to cook for so many people. (worst I've been to Italy a few times post ever I know)

Italian restaurants in the UK generally put out lovely food.

It could admittedly be down to localised tastes. Similar to Chinese food being better over here than in China. It probably isn't but it's tuned towards what we like.

I swear I've never had a decent meal when I've been to Italy though. When I stayed at Lake Garda the food was shocking, the area around Lake Bracciano was even worse. Bormio probably doesn't count because we stayed in a hostel and they probably weren't used to having to cook for so many people. (worst I've been to Italy a few times post ever I know)

Italian restaurants in the UK generally put out lovely food.

I could list plenty of restaurants that you need to visit in italy....even small coffee shops that serve amazing dishes.

Please if you ever get chance go to Sorrento...best coffee and Italian cuisine you will ever taste.

Italian food is much better in Italy mate. Ive been to Venice and Rome on holidays like. Same as Indian food is better in India as it doesnt contain half the crap that gets put into it over here.

I suppose its down to personal preference lads but Ive eaten food in their countries of origin and found they taste a lot better than what gets made over here.

Italian food is much better in Italy mate. Ive been to Venice and Rome on holidays like. Same as Indian food is better in India as it doesnt contain half the crap that gets put into it over here.

I suppose its down to personal preference lads but Ive eaten food in their countries of origin and found they taste a lot better than what gets made over here.

Yes there are some very nice restaurants in Rome....great city.

Havent tried Indian food before. not brave enough!

;)

Steak porter house, steamed okra, mini potatoes, 2009 Bordeaux more cab then not, perfect.... Then for dessert I had blueberries with granola and honey Greek yogurt. ate dessert while watching pool v city, during dinner watched the marseille Montpellier match, whilst listening to day trotter on random.

matherto said:

I swear I've never had a decent meal when I've been to Italy though.
no, it isn't down to localised tastes... and no, u won't eat better italian food in uk than u will in italy, unless u go to cotidie (bruno barbieri's new restaurant in london) but that would cost u a fortune. the point is, like u said, u just never had a good meal when u were in italy. that's because u picked the wrong places to eat and also because (most certainly) u didn't order the right food.
italy is famous for its cuisine, but that doesn't mean that all the millions of restaurants and trattorias all over italy are gonna give u the culinary experience of your life..... there are plenty of shiny fancy restaurants wich are specifically designed to lure poor innocent tourists who don't know better.

also foreigners always make the same mistake whenever they visit italy: they never eat local. italian cuisine is local... there's not a national cuisine, like in other countries.... infact, if u ask an italian, they'll tell you the very concept of "italian cuisine" is wrong..... there's sicilian cuisine, ligure cuisine, romagnola cuisine, campana cuisine, calabrese cuisine....... every italian region has its own food culture and tipycal dishes. so if u're in roma u have to eat roman, if u're in genova u must stick to typical genovese cuisine, and so on.
let's say u're in venezia and u ask for some tortiglioni alla norma (wich is a tipycal sicilian dish).... yeah sure they will prepare them for u, as they will certainly have it on the menu..... but they won't be real tortiglioni alla norma because no one can prepare a proper norma outside of sicily (outside sicily, they all add some other ingredients to the original recipe, wich inevitably ruins the dish). the truth is eating some norma in venezia or roma or genova or milano is pretty much the same thing as eating it in london or new york or tokyo... that's not gonna be the real norma recipe.

for years i thought i hated pesto alla genovese, i tried it several times, but it never really impressed me. but that was because what i tried wasn't real pesto genovese.... it was pesto genovese prepared by sicilians, napoletani, romani. Then, during my first time in genova i went to this little trattoria and a friend persuaded me to try the pesto. i told him i didn't dig the pesto and he replied that i didn't even know what real pesto was about, since i had never eaten pesto prepared by those who invented it (the genovesi). and he was right, it was just spectacular.

there's a small trattoria right across the street from my office. with 20 euros u're gonna have the best meal u ever had in your life.... as long as u stick to sicilian cuisine. if u ask the cook to prepare something roman (like bucatini alla amatriciana) or something milanese (like polenta), then it will be just an average meal, if not worse.... because asking a sicilian to cook milanese food or genovese or roman or fiorentino food is pretty much like asking an indian to make some sushi (and vice versa, no cook from other italian regions can prepare sicilian dishes as a sicilian can).

the problem is that usually tourists don't even know what dish is from what region... they only know a handful of italian dishes, so once they see them on the menu they usually think "oh man, there's carbonara on the menu. i've always wanted to taste some proper italian carbonara!"... and so they pick the carbonara (wich is a tipycal roman dish)... even if they're in firenze and the cook has no idea how to make some real carbonara.
so my 2 advices are:
1 - always eat (and drink) local
2 - if u don't know wich are the local dishes on the menu, just ask the waiter "what should i eat". the waiter will always address u to the dishes they prepare the best.

Last edited:
no, it isn't down to localised tastes... and no, u won't eat better italian food in uk than u will in italy, unless u go to cotidie (bruno barbieri's new restaurant in london) but that would cost u a fortune. the point is, like u said, u just never had a good meal when u were in italy. that's because u picked the wrong places to eat and also because (most certainly) u didn't order the right food.
italy is famous for its cuisine, but that doesn't mean that all the millions of restaurants and trattorias all over italy are gonna give u the culinary experience of your life..... there are plenty of shiny fancy restaurants wich are specifically designed to lure poor innocent tourists who don't know better.

also foreigners always make the same mistake whenever they visit italy: they never eat local. italian cuisine is local... there's not a national cuisine, like in other countries.... infact, if u ask an italian, they'll tell you the very concept of "italian cuisine" is wrong..... there's sicilian cuisine, ligure cuisine, romagnola cuisine, campana cuisine, calabrese cuisine....... every italian region has its own food culture and tipycal dishes. so if u're in roma u have to eat roman, if u're in genova u must stick to typical genovese cuisine, and so on.
let's say u're in venezia and u ask for some tortiglioni alla norma (wich is a tipycal sicilian dish).... yeah sure they will prepare them for u, as they will certainly have it on the menu..... but they won't be real tortiglioni alla norma because no one can prepare a proper norma outside of sicily (outside sicily, they all add some other ingredients to the original recipe, wich inevitably ruins the dish). the truth is eating some norma in venezia or roma or genova or milano is pretty much the same thing as eating it in london or new york or tokyo... that's not gonna be the real norma recipe.

for years i thought i hated pesto alla genovese, i tried it several times, but it never really impressed me. but that was because what i tried wasn't real pesto genovese.... it was pesto genovese prepared by sicilians, napoletani, romani. Then, during my first time in genova i went to this little trattoria and a friend persuaded me to try the pesto. i told him i didn't dig the pesto and he replied that i didn't even know what real pesto was about, since i had never eaten pesto prepared by those who invented it (the genovesi). and he was right, it was just spectacular.

there's a small trattoria right across the street from my office. with 20 euros u're gonna have the best meal u ever had in your life.... as long as u stick to sicilian cuisine. if u ask the cook to prepare something roman (like bucatini alla amatriciana) or something milanese (like polenta), then it will be just an average meal, if not worse.... because asking a sicilian to cook milanese food or genovese or roman or fiorentino food is pretty much like asking an indian to make some sushi (and vice versa, no cook from other italian regions can prepare sicilian dishes as a sicilian can).

the problem is that usually tourists don't even know what dish is from what region... they only know a handful of italian dishes, so once they see them on the menu they usually think "oh man, there's carbonara on the menu. i've always wanted to taste some proper italian carbonara!"... and so they pick the carbonara (wich is a tipycal roman dish)... even if they're in firenze and the cook has no idea how to make some real carbonara.
so my 2 advices are:
1 - always eat (and drink) local
2 - if u don't know wich are the local dishes on the menu, just ask the waiter "what should i eat". the waiter will always address u to the dishes they prepare the best.

I agree with Matherto, I don't think you have given us a reason not to really :COAT: ;))

Where is the best place to eat a black olive pizza? That is what I want to know.

Where is the best place to eat a black olive pizza? That is what I want to know.

black olive pizza? that'd be a pizza with black olives... and nothing else? sounds quite weird :P

anyway pizza is a typical napoletano meal, so napoli is where u have to go to try the very best (not just napoli really, but every other city or village in campania, wich is napoli's region). u can also find some great pizzerias in other regions, but it's a bit more difficult. for instance in palermo there are litterally hundreds of pizzerie, but only a few of them (8, maybe 9) can prepare a pizza worthy of being compared to the orginal napoletana (and the same goes for just about every other italian city). in napoli instead it's the other way around: there are hundreds of pizzerie and only a few of them make a pizza wich is anything less than spectacular.

however keep in mind that what u call pizza is a completely different thing from an actual italian pizza. even the absolute worst pizza in italy is delicious, compared to what u find abroad. it's just a completely different meal (different ingredients, different preparation).
outside italy, people make pizza with all-purpose flour (instead of first-clear flour), they use any kind of cheese or mozzarella (instead of buffalo mozzarella), they cook it in litterally any kind ovens (i have even seen people using microwave ovens to prepare a pizza in france, usa and ireland:CONFUSE:), instead of the traditional brick oven. and they keep it in the oven for a lifetime (5, 7, even 8 minutes), instead of the required 90 seconds.
the end result is a completely different thing, wich doesn't taste, look, nor smell like an actual pizza

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom