What do you do when you hit rock bottom?

It's not as bad as it sounds mate, my other half put the labels on me...;)) I would be up and down like a yo yo, it would get so my ups and downs were massive some days.
There'd be no real reasons for them either, I guess DJing and that whole life style didn't help, I'd be doing four or more nights a week sometimes 7pm - 4 or 5am and then I had a couple of day jobs...

Lets just say Red Bull was not enough to keep me going, a change of career and lifestyle have evened me out somewhat...

Oh, okay.

Good to hear that.

Sometimes I think about killing myself. Not in a suicidal way. :)))

Like killing yourself and wondering what it's like dying and seing what people think about you. Well, that's if you die and come back as a ghost...

In all seriousness, you should try and get your hands on a copy of the 70's British comedy series "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin". It's based on this concept and is one of my fave shows of all time

In all seriousness, you should try and get your hands on a copy of the 70's British comedy series "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin". It's based on this concept and is one of my fave shows of all time

Interesting, just read a bit about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_and_Rise_of_Reginald_Perrin

I actually got that idea (from my post you quoted) from a comic book by Daniel Clowes called 20th Century Eightball, where there's a strip talking about a man always thinking about killing himself.

I tend to listen to Blink 182, they never fail to put me in a decent mood.

Though having said that, I only tend to get trully depressed when I'm out drinking, so listening to Blink is only needed after a day in work or something similar :D

I feel down quite a lot of the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough for anyone and it gets to me a lot of the time. I look around me at school and everyone seems to be perfect and have these amazing lives. Perfect bodies, perfect style etc. I always seem to be attempting to catch up with them. I've not had the best of luck with girls, at all. My parents split a few years ago and I'm still not properly over the fact that they've both moved on. I'll have times where everyone seems fine but it'll just all rush back to me in the end. Some of you might take the piss and say, "you're only 16" and "you've not seen the worst of it" etc. But for me, I'm consistently down about things. I try and bring myself back with music but something will get to me again. I hate myself.

Last edited:
I feel down quite a lot of the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough for anyone and it gets to me a lot of the time. I look around me at school and everyone seems to be perfect and have these amazing lives. Perfect bodies, perfect style etc. I always seem to be attempting to catch up with them. I've not had the best of luck with girls, at all. My parents split a few years ago and I'm still not properly over the fact that they've both moved on. I'll have times where everyone seems fine but it'll just all rush back to me in the end. Some of you might take the piss and say, "you're only 16" and "you've not seen the worst of it" etc. But for me, I'm consistently down about things. I try and bring myself back with music but something will get to me again. I hate myself.

Stuart mate at that age your body is off the scale hormone wise, I assume you are 16?
I'd be more surprised if you had your head screwed on TBH, I was working in nightclubs and bars at that age and mixing with an older crowd, you can image what that did for my self esteem. I was like a pipe cleaner... :D
Hating yourself and others is also a natural feeling, don't let that worry you too much either, don't for one minute think other people are not thinking and going through the same things because they are.
You may think the grass is greener in other peoples lives but the truth is we all have our hangups and crosses to bare.
If you need a chat or just to get stuff off your chest bud you can always come on here and vent your spleen... ;)

I hate myself.

You sound like a younger version of Chris Wright here when you say this. When i was down in the dumps Chris Wright was always there to pick me up. Seriously, you should find someone who is in a worse situation than yourself and pick on them like I did with Chris Wright, you'll feel 20 times better. I thought my situation was horrid until i realised Chris Wright had turned completely bald by age 22 and lived with his parents up until age 42, then I realised life ain't so bad. Now Chris and I are best mates, I am even mates with some of his mates. I'd say if we didn't live in seperate countries and both supported the same football team and I wasn't an alcoholic we would hang out and talk to each other every day, but sadly that's not the case. However, there's a mutual respect there between us now. I know what Chris has done for this site, he also knows what i have done for this site. Back in 2003 when Evo Web was having its own recession, I was the one who grabbed the bull by the horns and pulled this site out of the rubble, Chris has always admired this although he would never admit it. Sometimes I would overshadow his great work and he would have me banned but in the end he would always plead with me over MSN to come back. "Please come home Dermot" he used to say.

What's wrong with me????????? You're the one coming on here saying "I Hate Myself"; it's a fucking forum for PES, you know what that means??? Pro Evolution Soccer. Heh you know what? You are 16, and you have issues, cheer the fuck up, life ain't that bad if you try.

I'm going to New York in a few weeks Dermot. I'm gonna buy you a beer. Even if you dont know where I am, I'm still gonna buy you one and sit it right next to mine as I drink it.

Cheers. :BEER:

I tell you what, girls depress me.

Especially with having a lisp, and effed up teeth. Puts your confidence right off, and means I never say a word when I like a girl. It's a shame really cause I can be really friendly with them, flirting is fine with me cause I can just roll off innuendos on what they say, but if it gets to the point where I decide I actually want to do something with them, the first thing they do thats slightly annoying means I say something about it and end up falling out with them.

That depresses me, especially knowing/thinking it'll always be the same, or maybe it's just a teenage thing?

Makes things worse when your best mates, or other mates get girlfriends, makes the thoughts about the lisp and the teeth ever present in my head, and it's even worse when I go out drinking with them, knowing you're not gonna be noticed by girls, and never feeling bothered to say anything to any of them (though thats alright 'cause meeting and then pulling girls on a night out is simply an ego booster in my eyes)

I do know if I don't have a wife/girlfriend at 40 I'm killing myself.

Anyways, cures for this depression, spring and summer.

Simply, when you've got all your mates around you, the weathers good, and all you do is go on random trips and play football all the time, life can't be bad.

But of a random post this actually, so I'll summarise by saying I'm depressed for six months of the year because of myself and girls, and extremely happy in the better six months.

You will find someone mate - you just have to let it happen. The worse thing you can do is not talk to women though. You should just get to know your friends girlfriends and then their mates etc then somewhere along the line you will meet someone.

My mate is in a similar situation - but he pulls quite a bit. But it is no ego booster for him, as he really wants somebody to settle down with - but still hasn't found anybody yet. He gets really depressed about it. But I know he will find someone.

You just have to make sure you enjoy yourself and be happy and not try to worry about things so much. When you relax and have fun, women will find that attractive. I know its easier said than done, but you are young and there are many things and people, that you are going to meet in the next 5 years or so. Be patient.

Especially with having a lisp, and effed up teeth. Puts your confidence right off, and means I never say a word when I like a girl. It's a shame really cause I can be really friendly with them, flirting is fine with me cause I can just roll off innuendos on what they say, but if it gets to the point where I decide I actually want to do something with them, the first thing they do thats slightly annoying means I say something about it and end up falling out with them.

That depresses me, especially knowing/thinking it'll always be the same, or maybe it's just a teenage thing?

Makes things worse when your best mates, or other mates get girlfriends, makes the thoughts about the lisp and the teeth ever present in my head, and it's even worse when I go out drinking with them, knowing you're not gonna be noticed by girls, and never feeling bothered to say anything to any of them (though thats alright 'cause meeting and then pulling girls on a night out is simply an ego booster in my eyes)

Simply, when you've got all your mates around you, the weathers good, and all you do is go on random trips and play football all the time, life can't be bad.

But of a random post this actually, so I'll summarise by saying I'm depressed for six months of the year because of myself and girls, and extremely happy in the better six months.

Dude! I'm 9 years from 30 and am still single. There are days where I feel depressed, but I find that when you just say yes to doing stuff with people, you feel great. Just do stuff with friends or try new things with people you know, but don't really hang out with... it feels good to just socialize. You start getting excited about doing stuff, and it puts your mind off the stuff that bothers you. I hit a really rough patch a few weeks ago, then things have turned and I felt positive for about 2 weeks, in fact, I barely paid attention to EvoWeb those 2 weeks or football even. Just having stuff to do makes a different. In relation to your uni thread - Uni really does help. I have people i'm friends with that are on my course that I only see in class... but I make an effort to go out for lunch or hang out on campus with them, just networking even more.

I also found that in times of feeling blue, listening to music that makes you happy works - I switch on some Hellogoodbye or Vampire Weekend and it makes me feel like theres something positive out there. Many of my friends would say I'm a very cynical and pessimistic person, but If I'm able to feel good about stuff, anyone can! Don't think too hard, thats the fault of humans, it just makes things feel worse than they are.

Good reply BobbyBox and Milanista.

matherto, i'm also single. The thing to do is just enjoy yourself and just go with the flow when going out. Don't keep thinking about going out with girls, it just makes you look desperate. That's one thing a girl will probably notice about you...you'll look someone who is hungry (for women that is)!

I agree. I'm married and when I was in my early 20s I was in the same position pretty much - not the greatest teeth (hey, I'm British and it costs more than your mortgage to go to the dentist - thanks Labour) and shy around girls.

Enjoy life, do your normal things and don't worry about pulling/trying to pull. It will happen when it happens and probably nowhere near a pub, probably a friend of a friend. You will wonder then why you wasted all that time worrying about girls at this time.

Anyway, there is a lot of bullshit spouted by blokes about how many girls they've had - usually crap - in most cases girls have more relationships than boys.

Take my advice and the others and don't worry about it. It's like wasting effort worrying about Ferguson's successor - wasted energy that could be applied elsewhere.

What the hell is going on around here???????? Christ almighty! Don't worry so much about girls man. The grass always looks greener. I spent 6 years in a relationship living with a girl and the last 4 years of it were a total waste of time, pure agony. Now that I'm single I couldn't be happier. Sure its nice to have someone but its not the be all and end all. The majority of people that roam the earth are single and the ones in relationships, 60% of them probably aren't happy. Concentrate on your life and what makes you happy, that's all that matters, with that comes confidence and that's that thing that really attracts a woman. Dude, if you don't believe me; Stephen hawking has a bird and look at him. The reason? he's smart and 100% confident in everything he does, he knows his shit.

stephen_hawking_050506.jpg

As the others have said, don't think about it too much. You will meet someone, eventually, and till then, you just need to relax and take things as they come.

I've had friends in the same situation, even I had a period of depression, but that comes only when you keep thinking about. Just hang out with your mates, try to meet new people, have fun, be normal, and just go with the flow. Stop thinking about not having girls, or what other people think about you. That's the worst that could happen to you. Just be happy with yourself, be a good and honest person, and you'll see, life ain't that bad :)

I come on evo-web and realise there are people worse than off than me and I should count myself lucky.

Back
Top Bottom