Virgin warns illegal downloaders: stop or face prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopz

Retired Footballer
27 April 2002
The age of illegal music downloads could soon be over. The UK's largest provider of home broadband is to warn internet users building up vast libraries of music that they could be prosecuted.

From next week, Virgin Media will send letters to thousands of households where music is either being downloaded or illegally shared. Many of the recipients are likely to be the unsuspecting parents of teenagers who hoard free downloads offered by file-sharing services. Research shows the majority of them are unaware their children are breaking the law.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...nloaders-stop-or-face-prosecution-842086.html

Good job im with Sky :))

its all well and good saying atleast i am with .......!

but once the big players in this case virgin make the move, then you could find it all changing across all isp's

infact i would not be suprised if alot more is controlled in the future, look at the way the government are now, all the personal data they hold on record (that they lose on cd's , like the working tax fiasco), they are getting to controlling and one day i won't even bother with the internet because it will be controlled to the point of you cannot do anything without it being known

look at china for example, Internet censorship in the People's Republic of China

anyways, anyone who uses p2p because you normally have to upload, that is including torrents you are liable to get your balls busted..

if you just download you are less likely to have your balls squashed, it is the uploading/sharing they are trying to stop so they come down harder on the uploaders

usenet or private ftp's are much safer,although everything can be traced if there is reason to..

Its best to just not do it anymore in all honesty. None of this "Oh its only Virgin im with Such and Such ISP I wont get done" because one day you might just find some rather nasty people knocking your door....

Only people who share alot will have action taken agasint them, its always the case

uploaders/sharers are the people they want to take down... without them, there would not be as many downloaders and it wouldn't be as easy to get

on the way to getting this, they could prossecute people they find and they tend to set an example to warn others that they take this very seriously

i have read of cases where the charges are not far off what a rapist gets which is rediculous

It's not downloaders that these companies go after, it's the people sharing, uploading and distributing the material.

I don't know why people still use torrents, so dodgy. Newsgroups are FAR safer ...

You have to pay for Newsgroups to get a decent server though from what Ive read...

Yep, £13 a month I pay, which maxes out my connection every time, TONS of content, no upload ratios or download limits. Couldn't live without it. £13 a month is nothing considering ... ;))

You have to pay for Newsgroups to get a decent server though from what Ive read...

worth every single penny!

i'd pay 5 times what i'm paying now, absolutely no problemo!

and as DagsJT says, it maxes out my connection every time - that's pretty much 20meg for me, 24-7, coming down my pipe!

To be fair, I'm not dodgy. I use it to get movie trailers, unsigned artist music and free jpg's :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom