Unreal Tournament 3

You can only do the mods if you host though, which is a bit crap.

There's a third-person mod and it's BRILLIANT, honestly, it's fantastic. But you can only use it if you host, and I've tried hosting three games with no success... I think it must force it onto everybody else, which is a bit daft really.

You can join other games running the mods - as long as you have them installed. You can see what games are running the mods as I think it says "Mutators" at the bottom.

Also, you can use Mods and Maps in 'Instant Action' games offline against bots...

I've not joined any other games running the third-person mod yet. Is there any way to search for games that are being hosted with it?

I've not joined any other games running the third-person mod yet. Is there any way to search for games that are being hosted with it?

Dont think so at the moment - but it does work as that is how I got the mod! I went onto a game and they were using it, so the PS3 automatically downloaded and installed it, then put me in the game...

The thing is I've got a nephew who is allergic to first-person, it's really weird to watch. It's like watching a right-handed gamer use a left-handed pad, he falls to pieces.

But if you can't search for people who are using it in their games, and you can't host yourself (tried three or four times and nobody joins), then there's no point in the mod really! :eh:

(Apart from playing offline and let's be honest, the story isn't a real story, it's just multiplayer maps and bots)

The thing is I've got a nephew who is allergic to first-person, it's really weird to watch. It's like watching a right-handed gamer use a left-handed pad, he falls to pieces.

But if you can't search for people who are using it in their games, and you can't host yourself (tried three or four times and nobody joins), then there's no point in the mod really! :eh:

(Apart from playing offline and let's be honest, the story isn't a real story, it's just multiplayer maps and bots)

True - I quite like the single-player 'non-campaign' though. The ability to configure your own matches and then fill 'em with Bots appeals to me.

Considering half the games I've played online have been padded out with Bots anyway, its not much difference (and a nice touch by the Devs).

After a good play of UT3 (and I do love it!), but you dont half miss the COD4 style of online play now - i.e. points awarded after each game. That was genius, really gives you a purpose to keep on playing online.

I'll be on soon, I cant listen to the Spurs game anymore!

:brick:

Has anyone else's online experience been crap compared to just about anything else out there?

=
Firstly the game will randomly lock up on me as i go into 'multiplayer' - ill get a message about needed to be online (depsite being online) and then on the screen 'host/join' i cant press X or O to get out of the menu!

=
The search options keep resetting every so often so you keep having to set everything up over and over to find what you want --- and some times it will reset seconds after you press 'search' and start searching for the default settings!

=
when you do find a game, if its not DM or TDM then you're lucky to have more than 2 people on a server

+ And onlines full of dick heads

I was playing on a server just a minute ago named 'Army of Two' and after i killed the host 3 times in a row with the impact hammer he booted me off the server!

This has been happening all afternoon --- as soon as you get a good run going the host will kick you off.

Ranked servers eliminate the host kicking you problem - but you're still left with only DM or TDM games to pick from as every other mode seems dead.

I keep going back to Team fortress 2 and the servers are packed and the games are awesome.

Anyone finding the opposite with unreal?

That lockup thing you mention happened to me all the time, I was assuming it was a dodgy PS3 (or a dodgy PS3 pad, I was CONVINCED it was the pad) but a few people said to me that it was happening to them too.

I say "happened" in past-tense because it was only a rental, I'm tempted to buy it but I did notice a lot of games are a waste of time and full of kids... Unreal seems very "open", in terms of how you can set games up and what you can do, which is great in one way and absolutely shite in another. Give kids power and they will ruin any game you throw at them.

I was only holding onto my copy because the mod part of the game sounded amazing, and is... but online im finding its a load of shite.

Unless you can get a bunch of mates online at the same time the chances of playing on a custom map seem slim

I've ended up having to play offline with bots to get some custom maps and CTF/warfare games... but tonight ive really started to grow tired of the game.

And as soon as i put TF2 on i was having fun again, loads of games, a search option that gives me more than 2 results, NOT REGION LOCKED online, players working as a team. It's a shame it only has a few maps at the moment - they are good though.

I think i might take this down to gamestation tomorrow and trade it in while i can still get about £30. The arse is i traded burnout last week as i thought unreal would be great online and now im looking back at burnout

Nah, still having a great time with UTIII. Not had any of the problems you mention online. Had 2 or 3 lockups when loading a MP game, but other than that its been fine.

Had some really good matches and normally end up getting sent a Friend Request too at the end of them (prob cause I'm shite!! :D)

I've had no problems either, I don't think we can play people from the US yet because our game is a newer version and their version hasn't been patched yet.

Wow, how good is this?

Mod for the PS3 version - turns UT into a 2D shooter!

UT2D.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_ysV_9qlFWOs/SAVHqkQ6snI/AAAAAAAAABU/kZ3hcSmeRfU/s1600-h/UT2D.jpg

Hmmm... wont show :(

Brilliant work and I commend the modders, it takes hours and hours of dedication. But are they that much fun to play? I can't see myself playing them, especially not mods like the Mario one. I don't see that as worth the pricetag of Unreal III.

I liked the game at first but it wasn't long before it got extremely repetitive. I don't think it deserves a full RRP pricetag, I see it as a nerd's toy. Reminds me of PES in a sense, I know people who still buy the game purely to mod it and they never actually play it.

I picked this up today again in Gamestation for £12.

After seeing the free map pack they put out recently and then the Titan expansion pack for free again and trophies I had to have another look. I don't think I gave this game the attention it deserved the first time around as I was addicted to Team fortress, and I'm enjoying it much more than I did the first time around. Especially after going from the slow inertia killzone to this.

It helps that the above 2 packs add a lot of new content

There are 16 new maps in the Titan Pack, including the five that were included with the 360 version. If you didn't download the free bonus pack, the three maps in that will be automatically included, too. There are two completely new gametypes, two new characters and some deployables

And they've added a mod browser to the community section in the game that lets you download around 19 selected mods from UT3mod - I'm assuming more will come as they re cook everything to work with the latest 2.00 patch.

It's nice as well that I can pick from a large selection of DLC as back in May or whenever there wasn't that many PS3 maps/mods as it needed a lot of work to convert from PC to PS3 - but since then enough time has passed for people to convert a lot more and on ut3mod for example there are:

MOD TYPES

* DEATHMATCH MAPS (103)
* CTF MAPS (26)
* CHARACTERS (23)
* VEHICLE CTF MAPS (20)
* MUTATORS (18)
* MSUC PHASE 1 (15)
* BOMBING RUN MAPS (13)
* WARFARE MAPS (12)
* GAME TYPES (9)
* MSUC PHASE 2 (9)
* MOD PACK (3)
* UT2D MAPS (3)
* WEAPONS (3)
* TUTORIAL (2)
* GREED MAPS (1)
* UT3 KEY GUIDES (1)
http://www.ut3mod.com/

Another site I found
http://ut3mods.wetpaint.com/
which has a lot of the content you'll find on the first link but it has some exclusive items on there like the Sonic and Mario characters, pacman mods and maps etc.

--

Lastly I noticed that the trophies aren't a walk in the park - they range from complete the game on any difficulty, then to complete it in co op then to 'get 200 kills in a day over 20 different days' 'win 500 online matches'.

You can just host your own game with bots, password the server and play on your own or with friends and still get the trophies as well - so you can avoid the morons.

NOTE***
You can't use user created mods like maps, mutators, characters and still get the trophies. I'm not sure why, maybe they were afraid that people might make maps that are very small and will allow people to win in seconds and boost their way to gaining the trophies. But there are more than enough maps in the game already, it's not like killzone 2 here.
===

Does anyone else still have this game and fancy a blast?

-

Random mod pics
GW142H231
GW138H229

GW342H213
GW198H288

Last edited:
It was going for £9.95 on shopto the other day but I've just checked and they're sold out. In Gamestation it's £12 second hand and it's part of the 2 for £20 range if anything else takes your fancy.

Play are selling it new for £17.99 and have 2nd hand copies going from £9.95
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/1021979/-/Product.html?searchstring=unreal&searchsource=0

Here is the list of changes for the latest patch

SUMMARY OF MAJOR FEATURES:
- Split Screen Support
- Mod Browser
- Trophies/Awards
- Major visual and menu flow overhaul for improved useability.
- Significant AI improvements, especially in vehicle gametypes.
- Improved networking performance.
- Improved mod support

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trophies
- 48 awards mark your progress and mastery of UT.
- Progress screen shows which awards you have earned, and completion progress on all awards.

UI:
- Major visual and menu flow overhaul for improved useability.
- Max player counts always fit on all scoreboards.
- Modifier cards should take display priority in toasts over character unlocks.
- Improved voice command menu positioning and offsets.
- Fixed showing as teleport destinations on map nodes which could not be teleported to.
- Added tooltip while deployed in stealth vehicles to show drop deployable button.
- Bot count UI changed from "Number of opponents" to "Number of combatants" to be less confusing.
- Added support for showing top weapon user in end of match scoreboard. This shows which player got the most kills
with a particular weapon. If a player was the leader with more than one weapon, it picks the weapon he or she got the
most kills with.
- Show beacon with name of enemies in DM if they are close enough.
- Fixed ammo number on HUD pulsing on armor pick up instead of ammo pick up.
- Third position for powernode beacon, when just looking at base.
- Added ping to multiplayer scoreboard
- Added speaking icon to player beacons.
- Portraits shown for player speaking with VOIP.
- Fixed onslaught teleporter tooltip not always displayed correctly.
- fixed toasts that don't shut down properly popping up later unexpectedly
- More delay before going back to ambient music from action.
- Fixed text being obscured after removing a friend from the friends list
- Fixed issue where playercard and friend message screens were disappearing.
- Reduced chat log spam.
- Fixed rules for showing "change team" button.

Vehicles:
- Increased radius/volume of Manta, Raptor, and Viper engines.
- Fixed scavenger legs disappearing in kill volumes.
- Force occupied manta to rise if underwater.
- Added sound effect and recharge bar to SPMA to indicate when the weapon is ready to fire
- Increased water damage taken by vehicles.
- Increased Goliath health.
- Fixed nightshade beam weapon accuracy.
- Fixed spidermines confused about nightshade that switches teams.
- Tank shell is always relevant, so you'll see it if it kills you from a hidden tank.
- Leviathan shield doesn't stay around after death.
- Fixed leviathan passenger beacon positioning.
- Fixed hoverboard rooster tail positioning when traveling over shallow water.
- Fixed flag positioning on tracked turrets.
- Fixed flying Manta exploit.
- Fixed boost exploit with Fury vehicle

Weapons:
- Weapon pickups now disappear for the player who picked it up, until it can be picked up again (now works like weapon lockers).
- Weapon throwing always enabled.
- Improved force feedback for various weapon and pickup actions.
- Simpler crosshair for instagib rifle.
- Third person translocate sound.
- Stinger now higher priority than flak cannon by default.
- Back splatter decals for hits with sniper rifle, stinger, and enforcer.
- Improved spidermine aiming help with hitscan weapons (enforcer, stinger, sniper).
- Fixed enforcer anim problems when become dual during initial loading.
- No ammo display for instagib rifle.
- Improved spidermine herding with Avrils.
- Improved redeemer blast screen shake.
- Spidermines work properly in deathmatch.
- Fixed translocator discs being able to get embedded in geometry with zero extent collision on but box collision off.
- Fixed deployable exploit (run over deployable while firing weapon, get in vehicle while still firing, and never switch to deployable).
- Fixed trans discs getting stuck on instigator's head.

AI:
- Added Drop Flag/Orb command (accessible through voice menu) to get bot teammates to drop the flag they are carrying.
- Improved bot handling of navigation failures, don't stay stuck.
- Bots understand ducking under obstacles with the Darkwalker.
- Bots understand getting off hoverboard to use a lift.
- Adjusted bot new enemy acquistion speed.
- Low skill bots don't slow down if carrying flag.
- Bots understand how to effectively use Orbs in Warfare much better.
- Bots use the hoverboard more effectively.
- Improved bot AI for using Translocator.
- Improved AI for picking best weapon to use.
- Improved AI for Leviathan, including aiming with the leviathan, and navigating the Leviathan.
- Improved AI for using the Hellfire SPMA.
- Improved Scorpion AI for trying to run over enemy foot soldiers and self destruct into big vehicles. TTP #103637.
- Improved Manta/Viper AI for trying to run over enemy foot soldiers.
- Improved stealth vehicle deployment AI.
- Improved bots yelling "same team" when player is actually trying to hit nearby enemy.
- Fixed bots not able to get in Darkwalker secondary turret in some cases.
- Fixed bot AI issues in secondary turrets.
- Bots go after countdown nodes if core can't be attacked.
- Fixed bots grabbing orb without getting all the way to orb spawner.
- Improved AI for bots deciding whether to get out of vehicles and continue on foot.
- Automatic fix for not letting bots in vehicles try to go into areas that are blocked for vehicles by turnaroundvolumes.
- Bots are move aggressive about driving vehicles without slowing down too much for slight turns.
- Bots fully understand kismet disabled nodes.
- Improved bot AI for fighting enemies in Slow Fields.
- Improved bot understanding of targeting occluded powernodes.

Networking:
- Fixed localization of certain networking messages received from different language server.
- Improved dynamic netspeed system based on player counts.
- Improved hoverboard smoothness in net games.
- Friend following now attempts to place friends on the same team.
- Added team balancing between matches.
- changed to push to talk to voice detection: allows up to 10 secs of talking or when you've stopped talking for 1 sec.
- Fixed reachspecs occasionally keeping level references across seamless travel, causing levels not to be properly unloaded.
- Increased net priority of movers with viewer based on them. Reduces mover popping in large playercount games.
- Networking bandwidth use optimizations.
- Improved prioritization of actor replication.
- Improved network pawn position update smoothing using mesh translation.
- Tweaked finding floors for simulated falling pawns.
- Yaw and pitch change smoothing for other players on clients.
- Fixed level status messages not displaying during level transition.
- Fixed character mesh not getting onto hoverboard right away in high player count games.
- Improved turret replication in high player count games.
- Fixed remaining cases where team color skins weren't being properly set.
- Fixed clients auto-switching to better weapon when they stop firing.

Engine:
- Collision Octree optimizations
- Particle system optimizations
- Safe handling of inversing nil matrices. Addresses rare ragdoll physics crashes.
- Removed unnecessary profile saves, improved saving progress when player expects it.
- Improved Garbage collection performance.
- Optimized decals.
- Increased texture pool size, improving texture streaming.

Game:
- Fixed Krall first person arms rarely disappearing.
- Fixed mutators disappearing between matches.
- CTF flag is hidden for player carrying it.
- All characters scaled up slightly.
- Can no longer teleport to node that is under attack.
- Improved victim death messages (precise cause of death).
- In game types using weaponlockers, players spawn with weapons from nearest weapon locker.
- Fixed scoreboard issues during seamless travel.
- Fixed lifts returning if you jump or get shot while on them.
- Play taunts on upper body only for moving players.
- Fixed black boxes on Leviathan shock balls.
- Fixed lighting on first person spidermine death effect
- Improved code for leaning players which are going around turns.
- Reduced foot jittering on stairs.
- No team change penalty for automatic swaps.
- Improved lighting for characters.
- Reduced mesh offsetting on slopes, removing exploit allowing players to hide.
- Fixed winner pawn rotating after round ends.
- Fixed sender not hearing autotaunts.
- Fixed krall missing footstep sound notifies.
- Fixed bots leaving game affecting TDM team score.
- Fixed bad low LOD meshes (spiky when feigning or dead).
- Fixed redeemers nopt able to damage power cores in Islander.

I've noticed the bots are a lot more capable than they used to be - the last time I had this game I seemed to be the only one who actually tried to destroy the final node and my bot team mates would just run around racking up kills.

Last edited:
Just been delivered, so I'm gonna to the updates and get the DLC, then I have to carry on working - but I'll probably be on later tonight.

It took me ages to re download everything - I forgot how much back and forth there is involved in downloading mods, copying them to the usb, going to the ps3, importing, unpacking then repeating again. Though at least there are 19 mods on the mod browser to save some time and more to come as they're re-cooked to work on the latest patch and the titan pack.

I found yesterday that you can use custom skins online and still get trophies which is cool as I downloaded a ton of them before playing the game and spotting that custom maps block them. I think custom mutators and other mods like the 2D game block them as well.

It took me ages to re download everything - I forgot how much back and forth there is involved in downloading mods, copying them to the usb, going to the ps3, importing, unpacking then repeating again. Though at least there are 19 mods on the mod browser to save some time and more to come as they're re-cooked to work on the latest patch and the titan pack.

I found yesterday that you can use custom skins online and still get trophies which is cool as I downloaded a ton of them before playing the game and spotting that custom maps block them. I think custom mutators and other mods like the 2D game block them as well.

I've installed the Titan pack and downloaded a few maps from the new ingame browser. Shame there isnt more content there? Wonder what the criteria is on getting something listed there?

Good news skins can be used online - I'll have to grab a few.

Still a good FPS though, just had a couple of quick bot games :)

I think to be listed there it has to have been tested on the latest patch and titan mod and work perfectly. A week or 2 ago there were 48 mods for download but they were all pulled when the patch hit

Managed to complete the last mission of the campaign on 'insane' today with the help of a random player joining my game. I had come close to beating her on my own with the game ending 18 14 and something like 18 17 with the time limit expiring. But on my third attempt a random player joined my game so it became a 2 on 1 game and we beat her 20 14. I also gained 4 trophies for it which was nice.

Now I just have to replay the other chapters and finish the final missions of 2 3 and 4 on insane for the other trophies.

All but 1 of the rest are time consuming but achievable and fun. The 1 being the 'collect EVERY pick up on each level'. That's going to take some time.

Back
Top Bottom