Unreal Tournament 3

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Making an effort to show the PS3 some more love. I've brought it a little cousin to chat to (PSP) and now UT3.

Did a search and surprised not to see a thread for this one?!

Anyway, been on it a few hours now and its really fab - nice complete arcade run 'n gun action. Beautiful graphics, super fast, loadsa weapons, customisation, mouse/keyboard option and I am just about to install some mods made by the UT3 community - including the Lego one I think Dags posted this morning in the PS3 thread.

Anyone got this on PS3 - and why no Evo-Web love? :D

I'm picking this one up.
Perhaps tomorrow.
How do the vehicles work in the game?
I'm hoping it's like Battlefield, and not similar to Call of Duty.

I'm picking this one up.
Perhaps tomorrow.
How do the vehicles work in the game?
I'm hoping it's like Battlefield, and not similar to Call of Duty.

Not tried any vehicles yet really, just been playing MP deathmatch. Like the fact you can do single-player deathmatch (and other MP modes) using bots...

What didnt you like about COD4?

Making an effort to show the PS3 some more love. I've brought it a little cousin to chat to (PSP) and now UT3.

Did a search and surprised not to see a thread for this one?!

Anyway, been on it a few hours now and its really fab - nice complete arcade run 'n gun action. Beautiful graphics, super fast, loadsa weapons, customisation, mouse/keyboard option and I am just about to install some mods made by the UT3 community - including the Lego one I think Dags posted this morning in the PS3 thread.

Anyone got this on PS3 - and why no Evo-Web love? :D

im probably get it then, if more FPS have this option then there worth it

Not tried any vehicles yet really, just been playing MP deathmatch. Like the fact you can do single-player deathmatch (and other MP modes) using bots...

What didnt you like about COD4?

COD4 is great, I just want a different type of shooter.
I was hoping vehicles would feature prominently in Unreal, but even if they don't I'll still probably get it.

Can you have a splitscreen deathmatch with bots in UTIII?
That would be cool.

COD4 is great, I just want a different type of shooter.
I was hoping vehicles would feature prominently in Unreal, but even if they don't I'll still probably get it.

Can you have a splitscreen deathmatch with bots in UTIII?
That would be cool.

Oh, this is plenty different to COD4! I love COD4, but this is fast, furious, not exactly tactical (!) and is about trying to stay alive longer than 10 seconds!!!

I'm sure vehicles are prominent - there is even a Vehicle Capture the Flag mode, so yea, they are catered for!

Added some mods on last night - the 'Lego' mod is amazing. Still got a way to go (and it crashed my PS3 once and was generally laggy), but it shows what you can do with the physics engine in mods. Most of this map is destructable like real lego - i.e. if you shoot out the bottom block of a house, then the whole thing might come crumbling down, or fall in on itself - very clever...

I've got the Lego mod, its great although sometimes when you shoot the Lego buildings it can take a while to jump over the pieces.

I've also got the Shipment map from CoD4 and another mod called Flatwars which is very good.

:TU:

I've got the Lego mod, its great although sometimes when you shoot the Lego buildings it can take a while to jump over the pieces.

I've also got the Shipment map from CoD4 and another mod called Flatwars which is very good.

:TU:

Yea, was gonna get shipment - reckon I'll have too. The only other one I grabbed last night was the Tokyo Subway (I think!) - but not tried it yet...

Was addicted to 16 player multiplayer deathmatches last night - didnt do very well, but we happy to play the matches as its such a great game...

The Shipment map is better than CoD4 because the weapons are better.

I'm enjoying the game.

I've been talking about this game for a while now. The fact that you can import custom mods makes this game perfect. You dont like something? Make it better yourself.
You can have custom maps, custom modes, custom weapons, custom vehicles, custom character models, I think the only thing you can't import at the moment is music files because of the format it uses on the PS3 (you can edit it on the PC version though) but Epic are apparently working on that.

Just a bump news for this thread - for those who havent spotted a few things:-

* You can change your controller set up - so you can use R2 for shooting which is normally preferred in FPS. You have to hunt for it in the settings menu, its down the bottom of the screen - you see a triangle that says 'Controller'.

* You can install data to the PS3 HD to speed up loading etc. Not sure how much this takes up - few gb I think. I did it straight away, so not sure of the performance difference if any. Again, cannot remember exactly where this is, but its in the Options somewhere!! :D

* Lastly, for those that dont RTFM, if you press down on the d-pad you can 'fake death' - this is brilliant, especially in a 3/4 man gun fight as players probably wont notice they didnt actually kill you. You can then pop-up behind them and take them down when the smoke clears. I do it a fair bit and its a real rush when you pull it off :D

The install takes up 2.2gb, which isn't too bad. Does make a lot of difference.

I noticed that "feign death" thing, I've never tried it though because I can't imagine getting away with it :D

Do you fancy some games later on?

Yea definately - I'm on it most nights at the mo, so I will add you PSN right now (the joys of PSP remote play!!! Love it :D)

EDIT: Your friends list is full :(

Last edited:
The install takes up 2.2gb, which isn't too bad. Does make a lot of difference.

I noticed that "feign death" thing, I've never tried it though because I can't imagine getting away with it :D

Cool, thats good! Did you know about it before?

Feign death is great! Like I say, you have to use it wisely as the other person doesnt get they "YOU KILLED JACK BAUER!" come up so they will know you arent dead and probably come over and rocket you in the face!

But in larger battles, its useful :D

I did know about it yeah, I look through the menus of each game before I start playing it in-case I miss something. At first I thought, I'm only renting it so I'm not installing it, but then I enjoyed it so much I realised I'd probably buy it so I installed it. Big difference.

I did know about it yeah, I look through the menus of each game before I start playing it in-case I miss something. At first I thought, I'm only renting it so I'm not installing it, but then I enjoyed it so much I realised I'd probably buy it so I installed it. Big difference.

Ah cool! You should take a look on AVF as I saw quite a few people selling UT3 - might grab a bargain?

You can only do the mods if you host though, which is a bit crap.

There's a third-person mod and it's BRILLIANT, honestly, it's fantastic. But you can only use it if you host, and I've tried hosting three games with no success... I think it must force it onto everybody else, which is a bit daft really.

Anyone any idea what the orders are for in the pause menu on an offline instant action warfare game?

It gives you 'attack' 'defend' and some others and then 'special ops'

Picking one then saves the game and you can continue playing... but what the hell do they do? The instruction manual as is the norm these days tel you piss all!

Back
Top Bottom