UEFA Champions League For 360! (March 20th)

I have always thought FIFA had excellent graphics, the gameplay let it down for me mate.

I totally agree with Jack. They have taken the good foundation of 07 and are building on it. 08 if it keeps going in the right direction will be immense.

This is a definate purchase for me.

i only played the demo of FIFA 07 but still have it on my xbox. The champions league demo does fell nicer. gameplay has been slowed down and I like that as FIFA has always been too fast for me.

I will probably buy this as the japanese version is only £20.

I was impressed when Ronaldinho flicked the ball over one of my defenders heads only for me to think, "cheeky bugger" and take him down.

Seems a bit too easy but the tackling, collisions and control of the ball seem a lot better!

I will be trading games for this, not buying.

Its definately on amateur difficulty setting.

That cheeky bugger nutmegged senderos as well and then rammed it past the keeper. I was in awe and fuming at the same time.

Cheers for the info Cowden, gold membership for £12 on ebay, what is that guy talking about?so from your guys first impressions this would be worth buying or should we hold out until FIFA 08 doesnt sounfd like its worth the extra champions league socreboards and menu's and should stick with FIFA07?

If you like FIFA 07 then it's worth getting. If you don't then it's not. Simple as that, I think.

It's like a new PES, it's taken several minor steps forward that enhance the game as a whole; but if you didn't like the last one, you won't like the new one either.

hhmmm.

BLOODY EA!

IF YOU ARE GONNA RELEASE A DEMO MAKE IT EASIER FOR US TO SOUND IT OUT!

Flipin eck. Lightening quick half, reboot, stupid video, no diffculty, controller or dpeed settings available. I mean c'mon, dont be tight arses!

Anyway onto the game...its too hard to judge this. It does seem a little bit improved but because of the crap difficulty level, i cant fathom this title out. I havent seen the computer cross a ball yet or header, which is a bug bear of mine, ill keep trying to see if it happens.

Camera option should be enabled for the demo so you can get a better feel, that camera man, feels like im playing from the sky blimp, its ridiculous.

Also can e.a STOP finding new gimmicks every year? These virtual trading cards..whats the point unless your about 6 years old? I mean cant you spend your time developing the gameplay and making it a solid experience instead of wasting year on year with pitiful kitsch?

Has anyone got a brain at E.A?

hhmmm.

BLOODY EA!

IF YOU ARE GONNA RELEASE A DEMO MAKE IT EASIER FOR US TO SOUND IT OUT!

Flipin eck. Lightening quick half, reboot, stupid video, no diffculty, controller or dpeed settings available. I mean c'mon, dont be tight arses!

Anyway onto the game...its too hard to judge this. It does seem a little bit improved but because of the crap difficulty level, i cant fathom this title out. I havent seen the computer cross a ball yet or header, which is a bug bear of mine, ill keep trying to see if it happens.

Camera option should be enabled for the demo so you can get a better feel, that camera man, feels like im playing from the sky blimp, its ridiculous.

Also can e.a STOP finding new gimmicks every year? These virtual trading cards..whats the point unless your about 6 years old? I mean cant you spend your time developing the gameplay and making it a solid experience instead of wasting year on year with pitiful kitsch?

Has anyone got a brain at E.A?

That's what I'm saying!!!!!!!

It's just too hard to make a decision on whetehr to buy it based off a set type of way of playing it by EA.

personally if that way the end game just like that no camera ajustment,no control adjustment and no way of chaging and trying out other difficulties then i'd pass until fifa 09 seriously

That's what I'm saying!!!!!!!

It's just too hard to make a decision on whetehr to buy it based off a set type of way of playing it by EA.

personally if that way the end game just like that no camera ajustment,no control adjustment and no way of chaging and trying out other difficulties then i'd pass until fifa 09 seriously

i dont mind fifa 07 although theres a lot wrong with it but the fundemental thing that keeps coming out year on year is that ea are unable to create a solid footballing experience. they seem to year on year fall short in certain areas, and areas they address, somewhere else they fall short.

So they try to gloss over their shortcomings with gimmicks or a new marketing ploy, whether that be freestyle, trading cards, radio updates or whatever.

I will download this tonight, but with most EA football games I don't ever get my hopes up. A few questions:

Do the player models still look like fat boxers?
Are the players faces NOTHING like their real-life counterparts?
Is the view on the left wing still 'too distant'?
Does the ref blow his whistle every two seconds?
Is this just another 'FIFA Hype' title or is it an actually good football game?
Are the menus still confusing and annoying?

yes to all

the player models are still silly, the perfect example of the model being shit is you look at the ref, in a kit which hasnt got sponsors on etc. and you realise quite how crap it looks. i love the graphics etc, they are impressive but the player models are so big, or maybe even shorten the shorts and bring the shirt up as someone else highlighted.
for me this demo seemed pretty much the same as 07, still no satisfaction in scoring, just cant work it out but its just not there :(!

also, the colours are soooo washed out, example, look at the barcelona kit in any close up, its not red its like greyey burgundy, everything seems to have agreyness over it.

i dont mind fifa 07 although theres a lot wrong with it but the fundemental thing that keeps coming out year on year is that ea are unable to create a solid footballing experience. they seem to year on year fall short in certain areas, and areas they address, somewhere else they fall short.

So they try to gloss over their shortcomings with gimmicks or a new marketing ploy, whether that be freestyle, trading cards, radio updates or whatever.

I have to agree with you. I played the Demo, and it is a typical EA Fifa sports game. EA is known to add childish gimmicks and remove important features. Why can't we restart the demo after it's over? And Jack B. is right, the demo is a slight improvement than Fifa 07. Basically, the same POS game. After the Demo I played PES6 for the 360, and BOY! what a breath of fresh air and realism that was. I am almost convinced that NOBODY will ever match, much less surpass WE's game engine.

Having said that, I will not be buying this one until EA gets it right. And that perhaps will be never lol.

I am however, thankful for making the Demo available to us EA. Playing it defenitaley influences my decision on whether to buy it or not.

Peace!

how can you even tell that it's an improvement? When i played as barca Arsenal flat out was killing me? I couldn 't even freely control the ball because they were playing as if they had all the stamina in thwe world very unlifelike if you ask me

Just to repeat myself, I think the PES engine is made to look totally outdated by the FIFA engine (I tried playing it again the other day and the stiffness of play, the way that half of my passes go to the wrong player and the fact that the game is the same game it was six years ago at it's core). I personally won't be playing PES again in the near future. Whatever you tell me about the game being realistic, I totally disagree and think that FIFA/UEFA, with it's free passing system, is the most realistic football game to date. I just don't have fun with PES any more; as soon as I play it, I want to hurl the pad through the screen and snap the disc. The players pass at 1mph allowing the ball to be intercepted constantly, two or three players seem to run to the same place all the time leaving you wide open... The CPU decides whether you win or lose, basically. The game was innovative and fresh six years ago. Now I just laugh at it. Seabass was great with a PSone but give him more power and he doesn't have a clue.

As for the "no satisfaction when scoring" thing... It's been said before that the reason you feel like screaming and shouting when you score in PES is because you beat the cheat; you did the impossible. The CPU threw everything at you, including making every one of your tackles bounce the ball to the opposition, making the ball travel through a player's chest (seen it so many times), never getting a card for the worst tackles you've ever seen, and the goalkeeper developing a rocket in his arse to save something a mile away from him. If it does all that and you still score, then fuck, you're going to be over the moon! In FIFA/UEFA, the opposition is human. Watch the goalkeepers in PES and FIFA's training modes. In FIFA, if you knock the ball out of his reach, he can't reach it and you score. In PES, that's not the case; your shot goes straight to the goalkeeper's hands so often, it's unreal, and if you do knock it out of his reach, he will speed up and save it anyway... It's almost as if you have to have ten shots before it will let you score one (how anybody thinks this is realistic is beyond me). So, obviously, it's more satisfying to do the impossible on PES than it is to beat a realistic defence and goalkeeper on FIFA.

However, there are a few fundamentals in FIFA/UEFA that seem to be iffy. There is a lag in PES's controls, but in FIFA it's even longer. I don't mind that so much, in a sense it's realistic that if you're running at full-speed it's going to take a second to stop fully and play the ball, and if you let go of sprint the response time does improve. But the things I do mind are the heading system, which is just abysmal, and the fact that the referee still blows for fouls when you use a stab-tackle and get the ball, which is just ridiculous. Fair enough, real referees make mistakes, but I've took the ball plenty of times without touching the opposition player FULL-STOP and had a foul given for it.

Plus, I noticed today that through-balls are still ludicrously effective, which effectively ruins multiplay and online play, and ruins all of the hard work that EA have put in everywhere else. :(

I love FIFA's little touches, such as the player runs button. Without that, I'm lost. In PES, players just don't make realistic runs. As I said above, two or three run to the same place, and I'm sorry, but they don't in FIFA. The cards system is stupid, yeah, but as long as you're not forced to use it (which I'm sure you won't, as it's only for Ultimate Team mode).

Overall, I'm looking forward to the game a lot, as I have a lot of fun with it. But it's a shame that there's still a few issues with it. I mainly play offline, and so I know I'll enjoy it, but I think online will be wrecked by the through-ball gang. So (before you flame me), I can see why the majority of PES fans won't be won over.

Last edited:
JB, I think you're being a bit too harsh on PES....

for me the satisfaction is not when I beat the cheats....
the satisfaction comes from executing good passing moves
and scoring nice crisp goals with the ball rippling through
the back of the net...
from seeing players behave like IRL
the cheats are not over-bearing for me....
Regarding 1mph passing and passing going to the wrong player,
it happens 5% of the time to me...
The ballooning shots happen sometimes when I'm trying to shoot
off balance with the wrong foot or something...

For me PES/WE is by far better than FIFA 07 in gameplay.
Graphics wise both are'nt that great...

the shooting isnt as good as fifa 07. doesnt ben enough, seems too flat and straight and weirdly floaty..

JB, I think you're being a bit too harsh on PES....
Fair enough, you love PES and that's your view, you're entitled to that. I'm not knocking that, and I've even gone as far as to point out FIFA/UEFA's inadequacies above (namely the through-balls and heading). However, I don't think I'm being "too harsh on PES" at all; how I can be "too harsh" about a game that makes me so fucking angry within twenty seconds of starting a match, I don't know. The game infuriates me, with every other pass going to the wrong man (if that only happens 5% of the time to you then A) you're lucky and B) having players doing the total wrong thing for 5% of a match makes playing any match seem pointless to me), and the piss-weak passes being intercepted all of the time, and the CPU deciding whether you win or lose using the infamous "every time you tackle, the ball will bounce to us" code. Someone on this forum did a test a while ago, measuring how many tackles on the ball led in the ball going to the opposition, firstly in a friendly and then in a competition (ML). In a friendly it was a nice, low, realistic number, and in the competition it was something ridiculous like 80%. How can you play a game knowing that it does that, man?!

Sorry, but it's not a game, it's a series of events that you have very little control over. But as I've said, you're allowed to like what you like, and FIFA/UEFA is far from perfect. But at least I actually have a laugh whilst playing it, rather than wanting to kick the shit out of every virtual player on the pitch for not doing anything I tell them to.

the shooting isnt as good as fifa 07. doesnt ben enough, seems too flat and straight and weirdly floaty..
I thought that the other day, actually. :eh: In some situations it seems a lot better, and other times it seems weaker. Most of the time I can get the power-bar to half-way it seems okay, though.

Last edited:
some of you guys got me a lil excited to go download this and try it out..

I'm not sure what some of you guys see in this game.

this game is horrible. This is easily EA's worst sports game imo. The sound is the best part about this game.. the graphics are ok too but nothing special. what kills this game is the gameplay control.. it's no fun at all. EA needs to re do everything like it did with it's hockey game and make this feel right and enjoyable..

the button lag is rediculous!!! it's even far behind PES's button lag.. I complain about the button responsiveness in PES but wow this game makes PES freakin feel great when playing it. I expect the button responsive to happen instantaneous. how any of you would even consider buying this after playing the demo is hard for me to believe. I thought this was suppose to be next generation gameplay.

thankfully we have demos now or I might of actually bought this game and I would of been pissed. I'm tired of expecting a good EA footie game. I'm starting to think that will now ever happen.

back to PES 2007 on the PS2.

Last edited:
the passing is crap on pes, execution of simple passes first time if your facing any other way except perfect face on reciuever is stupidly weak, youve just gotta play the system really, dont pass if you know itll be a bad one. the shooting on pes is bad too, atleast in fifa you feel in control of it.
id also say, oddly, shooting is so much better if your playing v another human, dont get why. for me, pes is shocking single player on the 360, but still good multiplayer. fifa, has potential but its just missing a certain something which i cant put my finger on, maybe cos the lack of satisfaction, dont know. the stupiud player models and dull lighting on the players annoys me aswell, theyve made such an effort to make the stadiums glitzy that theyve dulled down everything thats not stadium or grass to make the impact of the stadium more impressive, id rather just have them not looking like they were under a grey wash!

It's a shame they have not altered the damn annoying and down right stupid at times menu system. It's like something from the old Atari, Amiga times. It really stopped me playing Fifa 07, that and the lack of response.

JB you need to stop playing single player on PES which has always been pretty shit and get on Live where you really do have to fight for your goals and there is great satisfaction when u score

its great online because its so unpredictable and not at all scripted. All i did with previous WE/PES' was played with mates which is where the game comes into its own, so now on live i have that 24/7 :)

Nah, I've played online and the 1mph passes that always get intercepted no matter what you do are still there. You guys can play PES, I can see FIFA's faults and I understand why you do and I don't have a problem with it, but it's not for me.

theres problems with all three titles. Certainly, none of them are worthy of a next gen status.

I'm really hoping pes 7 gets a complete overhaul for next gen, with new animations, 360 movemnet (even if its disguised by animation) lots of stadiums, more licences and better gameplay.

I remember superstar soccer on N64 when it first came out and how it blew my mind - we need that kind of impact again.

the problem with anything unlicensed on next gen is the blandness of graphics are even more glaring. look at the refs on fifa, and the prem kits on pes (especially the newcastle kit for eg) they just look shocking, especially with the prem kits, how much effort is it just to put a few stripes on it etc. just looks terrible.

I'll just wait and see from your guys reactions of the final retail to see whetehr or not i'll pick it up. Who knows maybe by then I'll be jonesin for a football game

Back
Top Bottom