UEFA Champions League Discussion

28795332090420081te3.jpg

81'th minute Hilario:MAD:

:DD:DD

ı kicked the seat in pub when he made this save and ı dont remember where was the seat after that.only heart an ""ughhh"".

Anyone else's Sky channel gone? All I've got is MUTV.

Not sure why Parry and Gray are commentating for them though.....

Jings that was anti-football at it's worst!

Please Barca, beat this lot and make the CL final something to watch.

FD

But for the penalty miss it would have worked perfectly though. Believe me, I get so bored with commentators going on about how wonderful Arsenal and Man Utd are, and then see them scratch around for excuses when they don't perform - but at the end of they day, no team, no matter how good they are, are going to open themselves up at the Nou Camp for the benefit of us in our living rooms.

Ferguson played it the right way, although I don't think they are in the driving seat like Sky reckon. A draw for Barca and they go through.

To be fair to Man Utd, they could have had 3 penalties...but i must admit that i was delighted that Ronaldo missed...
Now Barcelona can play like Man Utd in the away leg, but i don't think Barca has a team to do that...
Despite the fact that Man Utd score lots of goals, IMHO they are not an attack minded team, they are counter attacking (but they do it splendid).

Yeah you are right mate about them being an excellent counter attack team.

I was hoping for a good game though, as Man Utd where looking really good and against Barca I was expecting something a bit special.

Barca to me just play their game and that's it, no matter where they are.

Mind you Ronaldo might need this for the next game.

rcaf-diving-suit.jpg

FD

But for the penalty miss it would have worked perfectly though. Believe me, I get so bored with commentators going on about how wonderful Arsenal and Man Utd are, and then see them scratch around for excuses when they don't perform - but at the end of they day, no team, no matter how good they are, are going to open themselves up at the Nou Camp for the benefit of us in our living rooms.

Ferguson played it the right way, although I don't think they are in the driving seat like Sky reckon. A draw for Barca and they go through.

It's different about opening yourselves, or just sitting back for 90 mins. I was just shocked at how negative United were. Now, I know Liverpool didn't play expansive at the Nou Camp last year, but we were never this negative. I think Ferguson got it wrong on the day. He just can't set up teams to play like this. United would have been far better off trying to play their natural game. He was trying to get something on the counter, but never managed to reach anything to Ronaldo. There should have been more support from him, like us, when there were at least 2 players supporting Kuyt and Bellamny.

United didn't even need to play like this. They could have defeated Barcelona. In the end though, a good away result.

@gerd, well Eto had a penalty as well, which he would have gotten had he 'fallen' over. Don't think Barca will sit back. They just don't. They only know one way of play, without changing the tempo, the style, the rhythm of the game.

Unless you're a fortune teller I don't think you can make that call. Giving Messi, Eto'o, Deco and Xavi time and space in the Nou Camp, in a champions league semi-final is asking for trouble. They're not the team they once were, but they've still got plenty in the tank.

It was an ok result - but if Ronaldo puts that penalty away, then suddenly Ferguson is a tactical genius. That's football.

Yes, we only play attacking football, no matter when, where or against who. That's what distinguishes us from the rest. It's got it s good and bad things. Good because you can always be proud of the club and the bravery of our style. Bad because some teams benefit from that and just try to destroy and to me, that takes away a lot of the fun in this game.

Unless you're a fortune teller I don't think you can make that call. Giving Messi, Eto'o, Deco and Xavi time and space in the Nou Camp, in a champions league semi-final is asking for trouble. They're not the team they once were, but they've still got plenty in the tank.

It was an ok result - but if Ronaldo puts that penalty away, then suddenly Ferguson is a tactical genius. That's football.

You got it right. IMO ManUtd did the game they had to do. IT's not pretty, but it works, and as I said that's how CL champions play(ManUtd Thread). Look at all the winners in the last few years. Even Barça didn't play that attacking football everyone talks about when they won. Some games they had to play ugly and they did, and they won.

Yes, we only play attacking football, no matter when, where or against who. That's what distinguishes us from the rest. It's got it s good and bad things. Good because you can always be proud of the club and the bravery of our style. Bad because some teams benefit from that and just try to destroy and to me, that takes away a lot of the fun in this game.

yeah, football would be so much better without defenders, goalkeepers, the coaches with their "destroying" tactics... just 11 advanced midfielders, wingers, and fowards shooting into a net..... that would be soo much more fun... :LOL:

but now that i think about it, if there were no balanced teams to face, no good defenders, no tactics....., then dribblings, flip flaps and all the other fancy moves would become pretty useless :-k

just joking mate:-pp :))

Last edited:
but now that i think about it, if there were no balanced teams to face, no good defenders, no tactics....., then dribblings, flip flaps and all the other fancy moves would become pretty useless :-k

That made me laugh :LOL:

Football is about attacking AND defending. The best teams can do both.

And that doesn't change a thing what I said. Barcelona is one of the few clubs that always plays attacking style. And probably is even harder to defend in barcelona than in its opponents, as you have to be very very careful with the lots of spaces you are leaving behind. In fact, it's more difficult to be defender in teams such as barcelona or arsenal, because you rarely have 10 men behind the ball.

But I don't buy this argument of "defending is also part of football" as the only excuse for a big team that plays like man did yesterday. It's the same we faced some years ago with chelsea and I was stating that barcelona don't do this when going to stamford bridge or old trafford. You can say nothing is more important than grabbing a victory, no matter, how. We care about the "how" more than annything else.

I was at the stadium yesterday. Barcelona is lacking a lot of punch this year, but it was pathetic seeing VDS wasting time from minute 1 to 90th, cristiano moaning every single play and Rooney playing almost as a side back. Man Utd can do more than this and would have (in my opinion) won the match if had played bravely and going for the victory. By being coward they have let barcelona be alive.

Many injuries are no excuse for a team like Barcelona.
They are a spectacular but incomplete team...but i prefer them to boring Liverpool (who have the best manager in the world).

You sound like those Portugese fans who were frustrated that they lost the EC against Greece...perhaps Portugal were the attractive team, but football is about winning, not about attractive play...otherwise go ice dancing...

The biggest problem with Barcelona's attack is they are too one dimensional. EVERY TIME, it's the same thing, side passes, a flick here and there, but in the end anything. They can't change the tempo, and so often they lack an penetration. And without Xavi, they lack creativity. It looks pretty if you watch them 2-3 times a season, but if you watch them over 38 games, it gets really boring, because every time it's the same bloody thing. Barca are in desperate need of new and fresh ideas.

The biggest problem with Barcelona's attack is they are too one dimensional. EVERY TIME, it's the same thing, side passes, a flick here and there, but in the end anything. They can't change the tempo, and so often they lack an penetration. And without Xavi, they lack creativity. It looks pretty if you watch them 2-3 times a season, but if you watch them over 38 games, it gets really boring, because every time it's the same bloody thing. Barca are in desperate need of new and fresh ideas.

LOL...a Liverpool fan who thinks Barcelona is boring...this is funny.
Liverpool used to be (along with barcelona) one of the most exciting teams in the world. But that's long gone now.

LOL...a Liverpool fan who thinks Barcelona is boring...this is funny.
Liverpool used to be (along with barcelona) one of the most exciting teams in the world. But that's long gone now.

Hmm, maybe a football fan, who watches Barcelona week in, week out, and think they are boring because they are too one dimensional? I too can look at things as neutral? I have nothing against Barca.

I never said Liverpool are exciting, but you are basing your opinions, watching us in a few CL games here and there. The whole 'Liverpool is boring' started way back from the Houllier era, and continued in the 2005 CL, where we were boring. But you obviously don't watch us week in, week out. No, Rafa isn't about flick ons, stepovers etc. Rafa's Liverpool (and Valencia) is about balance, balance between attack and defense, a team which does not separate attack and defense.. You probably watched the Arsenal away game, but then never watched the game at Anfield, where there was one team trying to play the ball, while the other was continuously pumping it to Adebayor, who was in Skrtel's pocket.

Amazing how the most boring team in Europe could have notched up the most goals than any other English team this season.....

Hmm, maybe a football fan, who watches Barcelona week in, week out, and think they are boring because they are too one dimensional? I too can look at things as neutral? I have nothing against Barca.
I know exactly what you mean. Basically, they just have a plan A. No plan B or C. I have found that out this season since I started watching them regularly, their gameplan is very easy for opponents to suss out. Play the defenders deep, with the midfield closing the space between them and the defenders to limit the effect of the playmakers, with the wingers doubling up to help out the full backs with Messi, Bojan, Iniesta or whoever are playing as the wider SSs. Well something like that, anyway. :DD

I know exactly what you mean. Basically, they just have a plan A. No plan B or C. I have found that out this season since I started watching them regularly, their gameplan is very easy for opponents to suss out. Play the defenders deep, with the midfield closing the space between them and the defenders to limit the effect of the playmakers, with the wingers doubling up to help out the full backs with Messi, Bojan, Iniesta or whoever are playing as the wider SSs. Well something like that, anyway. :DD

Tell that to Ferguson mate ;)

Back
Top Bottom