UEFA Champions League 07/08: Group Stages

I haven't seen ROMA yet this season Lo Zio but you seem to rate them very high this year (cfr. also the Serie A thread).
The problem with AS ROMA IMHO is that they have an auto-destructive side...they may well play beautiful and attractive football (and they've done that in recent past too) but their players seem to have discipline problems (De Rossi, Mexes, Totti for example) and then sometimes they have complete off-days (remember Old Trafford).

the strong and weak side of roma lie on the same thing: they have no foward and a brutal first touch gameplay.

having no tipycal fowards means that they can't rely on a long passes strategy. there's not a benchmark player upfront (totti often moves back to "dialogue" with perrotta, mancini, de rossi, taddei aquilani or pizarro). this situation forces them to play a "ball on the ground football", with short first touch passes and continous off the ball movements. Of course they have many players with huge technique, so that's not a problem for them.........
but playing always this football is very expensive, talking about energies. So to play this football your players have to be always in a perfect shape.... which is almost impossible, of course.
during the game it happens quite often that the players get tired. the pace decreases, the players have no oxygen to run even whan they haven't the ball and the distance between the sectors of the field (defensive line, midfield line and offensive line) becomes huge (here in italy, when this happens, we say that the teams are "stretched").
when this happens is very important to have a pure foward (preferably a tall foward), so the players can keep the rhytm of the play without moving themselves, just playing with long passes.
this means that, even during the most criticals moments of the match, when the players are getting tired, the team can still take a breathe, keeping the ball in your opponents midfield.
almost every team in europe does it... but roma can't.
so when roma players get tired (or when they aren't in a perfect shape), the opponents crush them, compress them, bringing the ball in roma's midfield.

the other factor is their first touch pass gameplay. their first touch passing game is different from arsenal, lyon, toulouse first touch passing game. roma players don't head the ball toward their teammate current position, they head the ball toward their teammates next position. we could say that they have a "foward looking passing game". this makes their gamestyle great and unpredictable. but this passing system requires a percect harmony between the players and, once again, a perfect fitness condition.
if the players are too tired to run toward the ball next position, then the whole gameplay is screwed up.

there are many teams in europe that have a "foward looking passer". we usually call them "playmakers": juninho, pirlo, pizarro, valeron, deco, altintop, corini (:()
but in roma is different. they play this game with all their players... it's like having 10 playmakers on the pitch.... if just one of them miss the ball, then roma loose his strenght.

there's just one team in europe that plays a "roma football"; sevilla.
but, unlike roma, sevilla has a pure, tall foward, like kanoute who can protect the ball, keep the game in the opponents midfield and give a break to his teammates, when tey run out of oxygen.
roma hasn't a player like this.

so as u can see those features that make roma gameplay so beautiful and effective, are also the main reasons of their weak points.

anyway this year roma won't suffer those "ups and downs" moments they had last season. now they have a deep roster, they have excellent backups for each role and they don't have to put their youth team players on the bench anymore ;)

p.s. sorry for the long post guys :)

EDIT:
sometimes a video tells more than a thousand words. so to have an idea of what i'm talking about, take a look to the first goal they scored against dinamo yesterday....

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=FaAwxyHwnxE

i'm pretty sure now u got what i mean ;)

as u can see each player is running toward his next position (according to spalletti's schemes).... no one is standing on his position.....
but when roma players stand on their position..... then u have "manchester utd - roma" :)

Last edited:
01.jpg

SUPERB!! :applause:

54266.gif
CSKA MOSKVA 2-2 FENERBAHÇE
52692.gif

Deivid does it again for Fenerbahçe

Deivid's free-kick five minutes from time gave Fenerbahçe SK a point at PFC CSKA Moskva that continues their fine start to UEFA Champions League Group G.
Turnaround
On a high from their Matchday 1 defeat of FC Internazionale Milano when Deivid scored the only goal, the visitors led on nine minutes through captain Alex. But not long after the interval some determined running by Miloš Krasić paid off as he levelled and Vágner Love then converted a penalty he had won himself to seemingly cancel out CSKA's opening loss at PSV Eindhoven until Deivid's strongly-hit set-piece crept under home goalkeeper Veniamin Mandrykin.
Alex strikes
Both coaches had kept faith with their lineups from Matchday 1, and a repeat of their respective fortunes from a fortnight ago looked possible when the visitors went ahead. Mehmet Aurélio sliced a shot on the edge of the box which Aleksei Berezutski intercepted but skewed his header to his right. Alex, who had begun the move, had wisely continued his run into the area and was in prime position to head past Mandrykin.
Zhirkov menace
CSKA had been the more lively side in the opening exchanges and continued to press after falling behind. Edu did well to cut out a Yuri Zhirkov cross aimed at Vágner Love, and the Brazilian striker came close himself as he burst past two visiting defenders and into the box but shot just wide. Zhirkov was causing plenty of menace down the left and hit the side-netting with a strong effort on the half-hour and Jô also went close with a promising drive. But although CSKA ended the first half 7-0 up in the corner count, the Fenerbahçe defence was holding pretty firm.
CSKA goals
However, just eight minutes into the second half CSKA were in front. Vasili Berezutski played a curling long pass down the right to Krasić which Edu was unable to cut out. The winger darted into the box and although the advancing Volkan Demirel got a hand to his first effort, Krasić won the race to the byline and equalised from a tight angle. Four minutes later Vágner Love was felled in the box by Edu after some fancy footwork and the forward stepped up to send the Fenerbahçe goalkeeper the wrong way from the spot.
Visitors respond
Fenerbahçe then began to dictate the play, and Mandrykin had to be alert when Deniz Barış broke through and aimed for the near post with a low shot. The keeper was tested again by a strong Gökçek Vederson half-volley from the edge of the box and one of the substitutes sent on by Zico to refresh the Fenerbahçe attack, Kazım Kazım, also came close. However, with five minutes left Mandrykin was beaten by a low free-kick from Fenerbahçe's goalscoring hero against Inter, Deivid, to the delight of the noisy travelling fans.

2007-10-02_cska9.jpg

2007-10-02_cska4.jpg

2007-10-02_cska5.jpg

2007-10-02_cska6.jpg

2007-10-02_cska7.jpg

2007-10-02_cska8.jpg

-----------------------------------------

CSKA - Fenerbahçe Alex's Goal (0-1) 9min...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU792IE4-aM

CSKA - Fenerbahçe Deivid's Goal (2-2) 85min... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3K7ikBCFA8

Roma vs. Man Utd (1st Half)

Max Tonetto has been the worst player on the pitch in first half.

He's added nothing to Roma's attacks and defensively been poor.

Most of his passes have been misplaced and gave up possession and a couple of his clearances instead of getting plenty of air and going out of bounds or opposition's half, have been ON the ground and given the ball RIGHT to someone in the center of pitch for Man Utd like Carrick.

Fortunately for him, Man Utd haven't been able to turn those couple horrible clearances from him into goals but they have created a few dangerous crosses out of it and his poor play could've been really costly.

He needs to pick up his game in the 2nd half or get subbed off.

Philippe Mexes has a yellow card now and it's always dangerous to have it on a guy with that sorta attitude and one who is playing in center of defense and needs to make a lot of tackles and challenges.

Let's hope he keeps his cool and not make any stupid rash challenges or Roma could find themselves down to 10 man and then the match's quality will probably suffer and Roma's chances of getting a victory which is quite possible with 11 vs. 11 could diminish considerably.

I hope Spalletti tells Mexes something in the dressing room at HT like if you get sent off, there'll be punishments!! So you better stay fully focused and only go for challenges you're sure you'll get there first! We don't need to be a man-down against a great opposition on their ground in foreign land! I know I would if I were the manager and I have faith in Luciano...

Scotland again...

what a shame

Lyon 0 - 3 Rangers (3 shots for Rangers = 3 goals)
post and crossbar for Juninho and crossbar for Andersson

Roma vs. Man Utd (1st Half)

Max Tonetto has been the worst player on the pitch in first half.

He's added nothing to Roma's attacks and defensively been poor.

Most of his passes have been misplaced and gave up possession and a couple of his clearances instead of getting plenty of air and going out of bounds or opposition's half, have been ON the ground and given the ball RIGHT to someone in the center of pitch for Man Utd like Carrick.

Fortunately for him, Man Utd haven't been able to turn those couple horrible clearances from him into goals but they have created a few dangerous crosses out of it and his poor play could've been really costly.

He needs to pick up his game in the 2nd half or get subbed off.

Philippe Mexes has a yellow card now and it's always dangerous to have it on a guy with that sorta attitude and one who is playing in center of defense and needs to make a lot of tackles and challenges.

Let's hope he keeps his cool and not make any stupid rash challenges or Roma could find themselves down to 10 man and then the match's quality will probably suffer and Roma's chances of getting a victory which is quite possible with 11 vs. 11 could diminish considerably.

I hope Spalletti tells Mexes something in the dressing room at HT like if you get sent off, there'll be punishments!! So you better stay fully focused and only go for challenges you're sure you'll get there first! We don't need to be a man-down against a great opposition on their ground in foreign land! I know I would if I were the manager and I have faith in Luciano...

He likes to be called Tonetto Carlos, god knows why :lmao:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Lyon 0-3 Rangers

\\:o/

Dear Juninho Pernambucano,

Get it right up you.

Yours sincerely,
foxtrot (and every other Rangers fan)

His dive at the end of the first half was atrocious.

Last edited:
No Cris, No Coupet... now everyone can see just how much more important they are than the likes of Juninho.

Not only are they 2 of the best in the world in their position, but without them, OL lacks leadership and experience at the back. Combine these horrible unfortunate long-term injuries with a new manager on the team and one I was never sure has what it takes to get such a big job and you have your answer for these shocking first 2 results of Lyon in this year's Champions League.

But I don't think it's over yet. Previous years, OL raped everyone in group stages including Real Madrid, dominated and then what happened? Now they're losing but you never know, this could turn out to be a good thing when it's all said and done and they could still advance... 4 games left, 12 possible points up for grab... anything can happen!

Congrats to Rangers :applause: but I believe VfB and Lyon still have enough time to get that 2nd place and advance.

-----------------------------

As for Roma vs. Man Utd, glad to see Mexes stay composed and he had a good game overall. Tonetto had a better 2nd half but still one of the worst players on the pitch today overall.

Roma have themselves to blame for lack of finishing touch today. The opportunity that fell to Rooney was probably harder to score than the chance Totti had from 6-yards out which he put over the bar :rolleyes: or the ones that fell to Esposito or Giuly.

At the end of the day, it's about who takes their chances. Not who creates more chances.

The sad part of course was Alberto Aquilani's injury. David Pizarro isn't made for games like this imo and I was happy to see the talented visionary Chilean NOT start. Because in a match like this, you need as much stamina, work-rate and energy in the center of park as you need. And with guys like Aquilani, De Rossi and Perrotta, that's a great amount of talent and energy to have in center of the park and Roma did more or less win the midfield battle in 1st half

But then comes in Pizarro when Alberto gets injured early in 2nd half and now Roma are weaker defensively and less energetic in midfield.
And for me, Aquilani's injury indirectly made the goal for Rooney and Man Utd.

Because if you pay attention, the goal came when Juan suddenly decided to sprint about 2-3 meters forward to close down Nani but he managed unsuccessfully because Nani punted the ball with a quick touch forward to Wayne who NOW had a lot of space and Juan nowhere near his ass. So he puts in a great finish and United go up 1-0.

But it shouldn't have been Juan to leave the man he is marking to close down Nani. Credit to Nani and Rooney for that goal and not all the blame should go on Juan but it should've been a midfield player from Roma to try to close down Nani before he delivers that quick pass.

This is where David Pizarro failed to do what Aquilani did in first half and would've probably done if still on the pitch.
Of course he's not only one to blame.. someone else like Simone could've also been near Nani so Juan wouldn't have to do what he did.

Entertaining match overall though and as a neutral, I win once again. :)

Scotland again...

what a shame

Lyon 0 - 3 Rangers (3 shots for Rangers = 3 goals)
post and crossbar for Juninho and crossbar for Andersson

lol!

how many of lyon's shots were inside 30 yards? i counted 4...

crossbar for juninho came from a DIVE!!! rofl... cheating bastard!

rangers destroyed lyon - simple as that!

hitting the post is as good as hitting the corner flag...

typical french arrogance...

prick! sell me your ticket! :)

I couldnt actually believe my eyes tonight, I bet that gobby cunt of a manager has shut up now, hahah... :)

I'm enjoying this while I can :)

typical french arrogance...

Stupid comment. Do you know all the French people or all other countries behaviour ?

What ThomasGoal said is fact. Numbers are fact, he never said it was not deserved. Yes Glasgow was better but don't see arrogance where there is none.

Congrats Rangers. :applause:

Congrats Fenerbahçe too. They played very well in 90 minutes but they saw 2 simple goals in their nets because of Edu's 2 tragically mistakes. But i want to observe CSKA's players performance especially Wagner Love and Milos Krasic. They were great. Their keeper Mandrykin was great too till Deivid's spectacular shoot. I think, he can save that ball easily. Anyway, good luck to Fenerbahçe, We didnt used to see such a good start from Fenerbahçe since they've joined CL.

i don't know what to say about yesterdays CSKA-Fenerbahce match.. in fact a draw in russia is a good result, but after watching another magnificent performance by Fenerbahce, it is really really sad
Fener should have won the game easily, and there is no place for edu dracena in this team.. i never liked him, never will
actually i never liked mateja kezman either but semih senturk is not a better striker

i don't know what to say for today's match either
because porto is a very strong team, just like besiktas.. but i don't think porto manager will scare as our couch does
two defensive midfielders,two central defenders and two wing backs (they never participate in attacks) and two wingers who are not actually attacking midfielders.. besiktas can never score with this formation
but
if we play like this (like we played in august)
GK-Hakan ARIKAN
DR-Serdar KURTULUS
DL-Rodrigo TELLO
DC-Gokhan ZAN
DC-Ibrahim TORAMAN
DM-Edouard CISSE
MR-Serdar OZKAN
ML-Ibrahim AKIN
AM-Matias DELGADO
ST-BOBO
ST-Mert NOBRE

the key player for porto will be lisandro lopez.. he scares me like hell
and the key player for besiktas will be serdar ozkan, you should be scared like hell :D because he really looks like lionel messi, and his dribbling ability is brilliant.. but he doesnt know where to pass the ball

Back
Top Bottom