UEFA Champions League 07/08: Group Stages

I'm sure Besiktas will get minimum 1 point from Marseille. They've a great team and they've a great young coach. Also, Besiktas have great starts like Ricardinho, Delgado, Higuain, Eduard Cisse and Bobo, plus they've young talented players like Serdar Özkan and Serdar Kurtuluş can effect the score of the match in every minute of the match. And, I shouldnt forget 16 aged striker Batuhan called BatuGol.

For Fenerbahçe, Inter will come to Istanbul without Materazzi, Chivu, Maicon, Burdisso, Cordoba and Adriano. But, Inter has a great wing players like Figo and Stankoviç. And Fenerbahçe's back wings has a low performance at these days especially Önder Turacı. Also, Kezman and Deivid lost too many positions at the last league match, if they continue like that, they've no chance against Inter Milan.

I looked at the TV guide and it says nothing about the Rangers v Stuttgart game. Is it only in Scotland there doing this?

Hi mate, this website shows it on the listings...

They announced it after City v Villa (where they do the "what fooball is on Sky this week bit"), I dont think they can region lock sky's-own channels, so far as I'm aware anything on Sky One / Sky Sports is shown the same throughout the UK.

To be honest there are probably better matches on the Sky Sports multiview, but this should be useful for people without Sky Sports, or if the wife won't let you watch footie on Sky Sports coz she wants to watch Corination Street or some other gormless drivel you could always say, "Let's comprimise and see what's on Sky One".

About two hours to go until the matches get started.

AC Milan vs Benfica.

Oh God. :|

I have a good feeling about this game. And anyway, it's better to start things off with the most difficult game of them all. Also, better to have a lot of players missing against Milan, because we're "supposed to" lose this game anyway. The squad will be better for the other games where we're supposed to win.

And I like Camacho's mentality, he's going in with an all out attack philoshopy, had it been Fernando Santos, he'd put 3 defensive midfielders on or something. :)

I have a good feeling about this game. And anyway, it's better to start things off with the most difficult game of them all. Also, better to have a lot of players missing against Milan, because we're "supposed to" lose this game anyway. The squad will be better for the other games where we're supposed to win.

And I like Camacho's mentality, he's going in with an all out attack philoshopy, had it been Fernando Santos, he'd put 3 defensive midfielders on or something. :)

It's not a game you suppose to lose, espicially when you are Benfica! It's the hardest game for sure, but not a certain lose, 2 years ago you beated Man Utd while many thought it's Man Utd game!
just goodluck, but I hope Milan win anyway :p

man that was not pretty but 3 points is 3 points. I still got a problem with the system. crosses come in and l'OM have one or two men in the box while Besiktas had four or five.

Ziani was brilliant. best game this season while zenden was shocking! his crossing is so poor its unreal.

Last edited:
Marseille-2-0-Besiktas.:(

Bad refree...hard fauls by marseille..two injured from Besiktas...and two goals from marseille...#-o
this is the summary of match..

congrats thomas!

well, in fact we did nothing for a win. if we had atacked a bit more maybe we would have taken at least 1 point home. at the moment we should only make our plans for the 3rd spot and the qualification for the uefa cup unless we change our system.

congrats thomas!

well, in fact we did nothing for a win. if we had atacked a bit more maybe we would have taken at least 1 point home. at the moment we should only make our plans for the 3rd spot and the qualification for the uefa cup unless we change our system.

Thanks my friend, you take your revenge in Istanbul for sure, the wind help OM on the first goal (Nasri corner) and after Besiktas try to score but OM have a quick players for counter attack and Cissé score the second.

Shot ourselves in the foot and the game was over within 8 mins.

We managed to steady the boat, but by then it was already finished anyway. Shows what happens when you spend £40m though, they looked really good, not sure how well they'll fare away from home but they've got some useful players and Castillo looked brilliant when he came on.

FD

FD, i haven't seen any of the mathes yesterday.
A ouple of years ago Club Brugge had to play against Donetsk: even then it was a really good team...i'm convined Celtic can qualify by winning their home mathes...which they will do...

Good luck

They will be so easily raped as they might expect.

Roberto Carlos will not be their Messiah!

Don't underestimate Fener, I knew they would bode well against the merda, Alex was a joy to watch & they should hve won the game by 4-5 gols to say the least.

:applause:

Well done Fenerbahce. :applause:
If it wasn't for a couple of AMAZING saves from Julio Cesar :shock:, they really should've won by a bigger margin.
Alex's heading ability has improved since going to Turkey it seems.

Great determined fight-back from Rangers. :applause:
Stuttgart has better players and more 'class' but the Scots matched them by great fighting spirit and battled their way back into the match. Gutsy performance and made the most of their 'home-advantage'. :applause:

Valencia and Man Utd are the real winners of this opening round of matches though in my opinion. Winning @ home is one thing and people shouldn't make too much of some of today's matches where the home side was victorious and reach too many conclusions. But going away from home and getting the job done even if by a single goal and not fully deserving is the sorta result that shows real championship capability.

congrats thomas!

OM and Besiktas both disappoint me and I don't have high hopes for neither. Then again Porto disappointed me with being unable to pull a win against LFC @ home and against 10 man as well. Don't like this group much and am not terribly excited about it.

What a lovely diving header from *The Man* Cristiano Lucarelli, himself for Shakhtar though. :applause:
I'm sure you enjoyed that moment from Matchday 1 ;) even if your beloved BJK didn't get off to the best of starts.

I think Arsenal opened Seville fairly easy and I expect both of them to go through ...they`ll be a few new hero `s this year

Well done Fenerbahçe. The best Fenerbahçe, I have seen so far. Alex and Roberto Carlos was great tonight. And great goal from Deivid. It'll be a great advantage for Fenerbahçe.

For yesterday, OM played very well but they played very hard too. OM players made too many fouls and 2 of Beşiktaş players went out for their injuries in first half. And OM's deffender Fethi should see red card after pushing Tello's feet. But, i really liked Nasri's and Ziyani's performance yesterday especially Ziyani's. He's very speed and he damaged Beşiktaş deffence too much. Good luck to OM for their CL thropy.

02.jpg

01.jpg

:mryellow:

Come on the Rangeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

OM and Besiktas both disappoint me and I don't have high hopes for neither. Then again Porto disappointed me with being unable to pull a win against LFC @ home and against 10 man as well. Don't like this group much and am not terribly excited about it.

What a lovely diving header from *The Man* Cristiano Lucarelli, himself for Shakhtar though. :applause:
I'm sure you enjoyed that moment from Matchday 1 ;) even if your beloved BJK didn't get off to the best of starts.

well, i dont want to raise my hopes after this game. we had the chance to start well but our coach was too scared. i dont think that we will win our 3 home games so we have to get the best out of this group. i dont want to finish with 0 points and 0 goals.

and for shakhtar its the other way round. great team, great coach and great football. they will fight for the second place with benfica. and yes, lucarellis header was a beauty. :)

what a football fener played yesterday! congrats guys, a real football lesson to mancini and his team :applause: As PLF wrote julio cesar was the hero of the day, coz, without him, the score could have been even better for fener. the turkish guys weren't scared at all by inter, and they "produced" football... they didn't just try to protect their midfield, but they tried to play football, to "create" football (with success).

got to say i'm really surprised by arsenal-sevilla result :shock:
could anybody tell me who played on the sevilla's left side (in both roles, defense and midfield)?

Valencia and Man Utd are the real winners of this opening round of matches though in my opinion. Winning @ home is one thing and people shouldn't make too much of some of today's matches where the home side was victorious and reach too many conclusions. But going away from home and getting the job done even if by a single goal and not fully deserving is the sorta result that shows real championship capability.

yep, that's absolutely true. winning undeserved 3 points is some kind of an "ultimate test" to evaluate the maturity of a team.
but we also have to say that valencia was really poor this week. they weren't able to produce football against schalke (neither against valladolid) and they were very lucky to get a result in both matches.
the unluck of schalke is getting legandary! :(

did anybody watch roma yesterday? coz if u didn't, then u missed something very beautiful...
honestly i have no more words to describe this team... those 11 consecutives first touch passes that brought to the first goal were something unbelievable..... it doesn't look like real football... it's like watching a pro evolution soccer match on a playstation :D

Last edited:
I haven't seen ROMA yet this season Lo Zio but you seem to rate them very high this year (cfr. also the Serie A thread).
The problem with AS ROMA IMHO is that they have an auto-destructive side...they may well play beautiful and attractive football (and they've done that in recent past too) but their players seem to have discipline problems (De Rossi, Mexes, Totti for example) and then sometimes they have complete off-days (remember Old Trafford).
I would welcome them a CL winners, but honestly i think they will not even come close to being contenders...i'm not a fan but if an Italian team will win it, it will be Milan...
My favourite currently is Sevilla FC...i think they play very attractive football, but Arsenal yesterday were clearly the better team although their first goal was a lucky one and in that kind of matches the first goal often turns out to be the decisive one...but i admit i'm biased because i love Sevilla.

Although by no means did Arsenal make Sevilla look inferior, Sevilla do look very lost and naive in the CL. They just seem star struck and I do agree that Arsenal provided them with a sobering lesson. With that said, although I expect Sevilla to qualify, I have a feeling that they could struggle in the away legs againsts Steaua and Slavia

Back
Top Bottom