UEFA Champions League '06 - '07 Final: Liverpool - AC Milan

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006 - 2007 Semi Finals : First Leg

We got too tired and Gattuso's loss was huge. Kaka was a fucking monster in the first half, everything he did was dangerous. Good game. I think we've got a chance at home. Nesta was also incredible tonight.

I was looking forward to the second match (Chelsea-Liverpool), but boy did i enjoy this one...this was a great match...the best CL match since that fantastic Deportivo-Milan a couple of years ago...

I think Milan will regard this match as a missed opportunity...with all the injuries Man Utd had, they should have won it...but they didn't and all credits must go to Man Utd...to me this is a more impressive performance that the thrashing of Roma...
Rooney's two goals were fantastic and while Ronaldo and Kaka maybe the stars, i was more impressed with the unsung heroes: Gattuso (his injury was the turning point), Scholes (that assist) and Giggs (that other assist, he's like the best wine: he gets better with age..oh i love that player).
Milan should buy a good goal keeper: the first goal was a huge mistake by Dida and i'm not sure if Rooney's first was unstoppable.

I hope this evenings' match will be as good as this one...but that will be a chess match...

PS: great crowd at Old Trafford...what an atmosphere...

Never saw the game, but heard it was a good un. Saw the goals mind you, Kaka really is class in a glass, best in the world for me, he's been unstoppable for them in this year's CL.

As Gerd says though Dida is really a woeful goalie and I actually thought he was poor for all 3 goals.

FD

Milan were SHITE in the second-half, lets be honest. United to go through, we have too much pace for Milan in the long-run.

Kaka is a genius but his first goal was aided by SHOCKING defending.

Bring on the San Siro! :)

Gattuso (his injury was the turning point)
Milan should buy a good goal keeper: the first goal was a huge mistake by Dida and i'm not sure if Rooney's first was unstoppable.
your 100% right in gattuso point even brocchi change was wrong he was awful he should inter serginho about dida he was bad but he
saves good chances i wished he still injury but the sub will be kalac which is bad also if both of them injured to storari get his chance :D

I was looking forward to the second match (Chelsea-Liverpool), but boy did i enjoy this one...this was a great match...the best CL match since that fantastic Deportivo-Milan a couple of years ago...

I think Milan will regard this match as a missed opportunity...with all the injuries Man Utd had, they should have won it...but they didn't and all credits must go to Man Utd...to me this is a more impressive performance that the thrashing of Roma...
Rooney's two goals were fantastic and while Ronaldo and Kaka maybe the stars, i was more impressed with the unsung heroes: Gattuso (his injury was the turning point), Scholes (that assist) and Giggs (that other assist, he's like the best wine: he gets better with age..oh i love that player).

I hope this evenings' match will be as good as this one...but that will be a chess match...

PS: great crowd at Old Trafford...what an atmosphere...

Agree with everything. But I think the last United goals was stoppable for Dida. His positioning was really bad with that goal.

I payed special attention at Seedorf last night, he was fantastic

Yeah Seedorf was superb and Milan kept Ronaldo quiet. I think we have just enough to get through this Semi. :)

Was a great game, thats what u want to see when watching football.

Brocchi stupidly giving away the ball in the last minute, and then Rooney surprising Dida cost Milan the perfect result for the next game.

But i think it's still open and both teams have a chance to reach final, United now have the slightly better chance.

I think Utd still have it all to do. However, both teams will feel confident. I can see Milan getting two goals at the San Siro.

You'd think there was a big game on tonight as well with all the talk going on... :-\"

fantastic recovery from united, after going down 2-1 from an early lead they kept their heads and didnt concede anymore. I was worried it would go like the fixture a couple years ago where united were timid and didnt play their game.

it shows how well they are playing this season and how much rooney and ronaldo have progressed, even though ronaldo was kept quiet he still had moments of good play. rooneys second goal was pure instinct and nothing any goalkeeper could have done...nesta was outdone completely.

in the second leg i reckon if man utd dont concede early then they have the pace and fitness to breakaway on milan and score. i hope alan smith plays because he is a fantastic 100% performer who can force mistakes for rooney and ronaldo to take.

of course if kaka is kept quiet, i dont reckon milan will score.

please be fit rio ferdinand[-o<

Obviously the good was Tuesday as the bad and ugly was last night.

Chelsea for all their money are woeful to watch and the likes of Drogba and Cole are infuriating to watch, and the big dude Obi-Wan who is pish at £16m looks like he's doing lessons too. Liverpool are just a team that strangles the life out of anything called football, even though they are the team I would want to win the CL if Milan don't.

FD

I don't agree with you Fd...i enjoyed that second match too...it's another style of football...

Judged by the first legs Man Utd is the obvious favourite, but we all know that the other 3 teams don't have to play spectacular to win silverware...and while Utd has the most offensive trumps, they are very vulnerable in defensive..

The second legs will be thrillers...good...

PS: I was happy that for Joe Cole that he scored the only goal yesterday.

Obviously the good was Tuesday as the bad and ugly was last night.

Chelsea for all their money are woeful to watch and the likes of Drogba and Cole are infuriating to watch, and the big dude Obi-Wan who is pish at £16m looks like he's doing lessons too. Liverpool are just a team that strangles the life out of anything called football, even though they are the team I would want to win the CL if Milan don't.

FD

I agree that wat always going to be the poorer night of the the two and this game held my attention a lot less. War of attrition sprang to mind. The second game should be more interesting though, to say these teams can never produce an enjoyable game is a bit much however.

Milan was absolutely fantastic today. They deserved to be in the final. Final should be great.

Seedorf :applause: :applause:

Gattuso :applause: :applause: :applause:

Milan were SHITE in the second-half, lets be honest. United to go through, we have too much pace for Milan in the long-run.

Kaka is a genius but his first goal was aided by SHOCKING defending.

Bring on the San Siro! :)

oh dear talk to soon milan hammerd you tonite and fully deserve the place in the final

Last edited:

Famous last words by Mr Breakz!

:lol:

What a great match yesterday.
Milan's first half was perfect. You wonder why Clarence Seedorf is not liked in Holland...what a truly great player who continues to improve...
United fans should be proud of their young team. They played a great campaign with some smashing football...If players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Carrick and others mature they can certainly win the CL...they could have used a player like Park yesterday. And if i was Ferguson, i would have a nice litle chat with Cristiano Ronaldo who showed yesterday to be an immature player. I remember a ball loss from him where he simply refused tho chase the ball back...At that moment it was 2-0 with over half an hour to play...

And then the final...after having seen the four semi-finals it should be crystal clear that Milan will win the CL this year, but why do i still think that somehow Liverpool will clich it??? Oh (and god i hope i'm wrong baout this), don't expect a spectacular final like in Istanbul. It will be a chess game.

I think the difference between this year's final and 2 years ago is that Milan will have the extra confidence and motivation to beat Liverpool due to Istanbul, proving everybody wrong, poor overall season and because our form is always getting better.

Hey Ninja,

youve-been-humped.jpg

:mrgreen:

Gerd - Sorry mate, I have to disagree totally with Man Utd in Europe, with the exception of a freak result against Roma, they've been very poor in Europe IMO. They came through a relatively easy group, they got the easiest draw they could in the next round and against Roma an OT performance was the only thing really to shout about.

Once they came up against a bit of class, they got absolutely out-classed, end of. As Gerd says, not sure what the issue is with Seedorf and Holland, but I think he's absolute class. As for Kaka, he's on a different planet to Ronaldo, best player in the world by a country mile.

Think Milan will win myself, but you can never tell, however I think Milan have the midfield to overpower Liverpool and won't be as unprofessional as last time when they put the tools away and thought it was job done.

FD

Last edited:

Since Seedorf wasn't selected by van Basten anymore after the Europan Championships of 2004 in Portugal everybody was screaming for Seedorf. This was a bit weird since he wasn't loved before, this because of his missed penaltys. I always thought this was weird, because nobody had problems with de Boer or Cocu and they missed penaltys too.

But nobody has any problems anymore with Seedorf over here (he's even in my avater :mrgreen:). Everyone sees him as one of the Dutch players, but the problem is we have too many midfielders with also van der Vaart and Sneijder. This was the reason Seedorf was on the bench against Romania and Slovenia wich was unbelievable.

I think the difference between this year's final and 2 years ago is that Milan will have the extra confidence and motivation to beat Liverpool due to Istanbul, proving everybody wrong, poor overall season and because our form is always getting better.

Yeah,

Liverpool fans are far more apprehensive about this years final. In 2005, it was more of party, just getting to the final was a massive achievement. After just one year of actually being run by a proven top class manager, with plenty of Holliers deadwood still left over, we got the the final and showed the courage and ability to overhaul a 3 goal deficit against one of the the most matured and seasoned european club teams in the world.

This season, we have shown that it was no fluke. And to be honest, even if we get beat thoroughly by a passionate and revenge seeking milan team, I will be proud of the team.

But Liverpool has now cemented its place but at the highest echelons of world football. Now I'd rather we push on and build our squad for domestic success

I think Milan had a better strikeforce in 2005, and some of the old legs were also a little fresher, but Milan definitely seem different this year. I think Milan fans will agree that Liverpool's squad is also far superior to the 2005 team. The additions of Masherano, Crouch (6 CL goals this season) Sissoko Kuyt, Agger and Reina have infinitely strengthened the squad

I thought Milan's performance in the Second leg, was the best i've seen in a European semi in Years. I'm a lazy fecker, so it ment getting up at half 6 in the morning NZ time well worth it! Kaka' is just on fire. After Istanbul, you can never take any result for granted. But if they DON'T beat Liverpool, i'll be shocked.

absolutely deserved victory for milan
man utd didn't stand a chance, they were completely dominated
i think SAF made the wrong choice playing with 3 centre midfielders. he didn't won the miedfield "battle" and the attack was lacking players
ronaldo, rooney and giggs weren't on their best night. nobody played well and ronaldo tried to do everything on his own because he saw he couldn't rely on his team-mates and because of that he made a poor performance
milan made a classy performance. they completely dominated the game. kaka, gattuso and especially seedorf were brilliant throughout the game

hope milan win the CL this year

I think liverpool have a decent chance this year, probably better then the last time. We've already knocked two of the strongest teams out and it was both based on solid teamwork and organisation, something manu lacked against milan. Ive mentioned this in another thread aswell, but liverpool play a totally different kind of game to manu and have totally different players aswell. The midfield is far stronger physically, with gerrard, alonso, maschorano or sissoko. They also continue to run and harry the whole game, which nobody really does for manu (carrick wanders about, and scholes should stay away with his tackles). Also we have 2 strikers that really are annoying to play against, crouch through the air and holding the ball up and kuyt that, like the midfield, continually runs and harries the defenders. And i think its that which will be the best tactic to get under milan's skin and annoy them. Watching the two semi's everytime manu started to press higher upfield and harry their defenders milan lost possesion a lot quicker and easier (the final 30min at ot and the first 20min of the 2nd half at ss).

Also liverpool know how dangerous kaka is after he ripped alonso a new arsehole last time we played so i would expect the team to be better prepered. And the defense will only have 1 striker to defend (excluding kaka who now plays more up front then last time but will still be a player that the midfield will have to pick up as his speed will easily get the better of both carra and agger) whereas in 2005 it was scheva and crespo.

And as has been said, liverpool are far stronger this year then last time, and milan (when under pressure) definitly have fatigue issues with their overall age.

Dont know what way it will go though, think if liverpool can stop kaka they will have a good chance at nicking it. Otherwise i could see a comfortable 2-0 win for milan.

draw for round 3 of 2007-8 CL

FH Hafnarfjördur or FC BATE Borisov v Zaglebie Lubin or Steaua Bucharest
Tampere United or Levski Sofia v Astana or Rosenborg
Spartak Moscow v Celtic FC
Werder Bremen v NK Domzale or Dinamo Zagreb
FK Ventspils or FC Salzburg v Pyunik or Shakhtar Donetsk
Ajax v MSK Zilina or SK Slavia Prague
Valencia v Debreceni or IF Elfsborg
Genk or FK Sarajevo v Dynamo Kiev
Fenerbahce v Anderlecht
Glasgow Rangers or FK Zeta v FK Crvena Zvezda or Levadia Tallinn
Toulouse v Liverpool