1. It's time for our forum upgrade and a server move! This will result in a few hours downtime. We'll start from around 7pm Eastern US time on Thursday 17th October, which is midnight UK time and early on Friday morning for Europe. To keep an eye on progress follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/evo_web

UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Professor Nutmeg, 12 July 2004.

1. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    The only money problem Inter has is having too much money. They get thousands of players each year. Right now they have 35 players and still want Cesar.

Adriano is loved by the fans, even at Parma he said he wanted to go back to Inter. During last nights match you could see he was having fun, after 3-1... he was doing stuff himmself for the fans, like the commentator said.

btw did anyone see his nutmeg? :shock:

2. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    Djurgarden 1 - 4 Juventus!!

YES! Great performance by Zambrotta, Olivera, Trezeguet, Nedved AND DEL PIERO! I know it was only djurgarden, but DEL PIERO IS BACK!

Now Moggi, bring on the signings :).

3. juveboy

juveboy Juve con te!

3 January 2003
    Torino
    Juventus

FORZA JUVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Ale Ale Ale Aleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

4. ThomasGOAL

ThomasGOAL Retired Footballer

15 March 2003
    France
    Thanks Trezegoal ;)

5. BigSleep

BigSleep League 2

12 November 2003
    Milan (Italy)
    I pray fot it every single night :)
    that'd be our biggest purchase

6. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    Good words!

Meawhile though, Moggi is playing games again:

7. ClassicD

ClassicD Galáctico

11 November 2001
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    Isn't the deadline the 31st of August? I can't see Juve signing anyone major (someone who will get a start) before then.

I want to raise an issue about TV money in this thread, as it seems most appropriate. As it stands UEFA give out TV money based on viewing audience figures. Why is it that Scotland get far less than the English teams, if all their games are shown identically (on SKY or ITV1/2)?

8. Professor Nutmeg

Professor Nutmeg ML Fanatic

3 July 2002
    Master League
    Pot A: Porto (Portugal), Real Madrid (Spain), Valencia (Spain), Barcelona (Spain), Manchester United (England), Bayern Munich (Germany), Deportivo Coruna (Spain), Arsenal (England).

Pot B: AC Milan (Italy), Liverpool (England), Juventus (Italy), Inter Milan (Italy), AS Roma (Italy), Olympique Lyon (France), Chelsea (England), Panathinaikos (Greece).

Pot C: PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands), Bayer Leverkusen (Germany), Celtic (Scotland), Sparta Prague (Czech Republic), Monaco (France), Anderlecht (Belgium), Ajax Amsterdam (Netherlands), Paris St Germain (France).

Group D: Rosenborg Trondheim (Norway), Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine), Olympiakos (Greece), Werder Bremen (Germany), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), Fenerbahce (Turkey), Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel), CSKA Moscow (Russia).

9. T Butcher fan

T Butcher fan Champions League

3 December 2001
    I can't tell you why it happens that way, but I think we (Chelsea) came 1st or 2nd in the money charts last season despite only getting to the semi's...... and we were a long way ahead of Porto and Monaco. I'm not sure they were even in the top 5! Very bizarre.

I can only imagine it has something to do with the market of the nation that team comes from. So advertisers spend more money on English, Spanish, German and Italian TV and that revenue somehow makes it's way round again in the form of prize money. Sky still isn't a very big market compared to terrestrial viewers so it all depends how many people watch Man Utd on ITV1 compared to people watching Celtic on STV (if that's what it's called).

10. Dominic

Dominic Serie A Staff

19 August 2003
    Netherlands
    Well Juve usually buy players late, some even in the last hour of the market (Di Vaio two years ago). Anyway Moggi and Bettega said there would be signings after they qualify, so it would be safe to buy and not to inbalance the books.

We still really need a world class centralback, maybe a new striker. Oddo and Jankulovski have been linked for a long time and still seem very probable.

11. ClassicD

ClassicD Galáctico

11 November 2001
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    I would like Celtic to get Real Madrid or AC Milan/Internazionale, we have played Barcelona and Juventus already and it'd be nice to go to one of those stadiums. Roma would be cool too. There are 4 English teams in the draw as well, a good chance we will get one of those.

No doubt fate will re-unite us with Jose Mourinho, or Barcelona now Henrik has gone there...

12. ClassicD

ClassicD Galáctico

11 November 2001
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    I'm told it's to do with the population of the country as well. This is pretty shit as Monaco get the benefit of France's population (despite not being part of France), and have the whole tax-free thing as well.

Crookeder than a crooked thing I say...

13. T Butcher fan

T Butcher fan Champions League

3 December 2001
    I don't think it's the population so much as the %age of the population that watches televised football. Germany is apparently the largest market, followed by England. Spain and Italy are only a little bit behind. The French population is larger than the English, but despite getting to the final they were along way behind ourselves and arsenal in prize money. This is obviously because their population is out sipping 'un café' rather than in front of the goggle box with a can of Carling.

The other thing you notice is that for an ITV game on a Tuesday night, the big, prestige companies have their adverts shown. You will see lot's of ads for vast multi-nationals like Microsoft, IBM, Nike, McDonalds and Ford, but when I watched the Celtic games on ITV2 last year, companies like e-sure and Ronseal filled the gap. Obviously, buying time during the Celtic game (shown in England) is much more affordable than Man Utd vs plucky part time Bulgarian outfit.

The larger companies obviously advertise during Celtic's games when shown on STV, but the difference is that STV can only guarantee an audience of about 5 million will see your ad, so you can't charge as much as ITV who can guarantee that 15 million will see the same ad.

So yes, it's a stitch up entirely designed for the rich clubs to get richer, and the rich advertisers to get richer. Think about that the next time you buy a Nike pair of trainers. ;)

14. proxi

proxi Champions League

9 February 2003
    Sheffield
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Shit, Milan are paired with Barca!

15. proxi

proxi Champions League

9 February 2003
    Sheffield
    Tottenham Hotspur
    And Porto are paired with Chelsea! Should be fun! Here's the full draw :)

Deportivo La Coruna
    LIVERPOOL
    Monaco
    Olympiakos

Real Madrid
    AS Roma
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Dynamo Kiev

Bayern Munich
    Juventus
    Ajax
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv

MANCHESTER UNITED
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Sparta Prague
    Fenerbahce

ARSENAL
    Panathinaikos
    PSV Eindhoven
    Rosenborg

Barcelona
    AC Milan
    CELTIC
    Shakhtar Donetsk

Valencia
    Inter Milan
    Anderlecht
    Werder Bremen

FC Porto
    CHELSEA
    Paris Saint Germain
    CSKA Moscow

Celtic will face Larsson too!

16. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Milan
    Barca
    Celtic
    Shaktar :shock:

Arsenal and United were given 'easier' groups.

17. ClassicD

ClassicD Galáctico

11 November 2001
    Glasgow
    Celtic
    Barcelona
    Milan
    Celtic
    Shaktar Donetsk

Well I got my wish, a Milan club, but I knew Larsson would come back to haunt us. Shaktar is kind of an unknown quantity but going to that part of the world is never easy, just ask Rangers ;). They have Aghahowa I think. Can't wait!!!

18. Ernestito

Ernestito Q7

1 May 2003
    Berlin
    Besiktas
    my best wishes for manu, lyon and praha.

19. Milanista

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Cant wait either, im getting my tickets for Milan-Celtic and Milan-Barca!!!

20. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    GROUP A
    Deportivo
    LIVERPOOL
    Monaco
    Olympiakos

An interesting group to say the least

21. IceMan_Bergkamp

IceMan_Bergkamp Total Football

9 December 2002
    London, Toronto
    Arsenal
    Rivaldo should be interesting to see. I'm looking forward to watching Chevanton tho'.

22. bradley1886

bradley1886 Premiership

6 August 2004
    London
    what are rosenborg like these days? haven't seen them in years

23. STR

STR .

15 April 2003
    GROUP A
    Liverpool (England)
    Deportivo La Coruna (Spain)
    Monaco (France)
    Olympiakos (Greece)

GROUP B

Real Madrid (Spain)
    Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine)
    AS Roma (Italy)
    Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

GROUP C
    Juventus (Italy)
    Bayern Munich (Germany)
    Ajax Amsterdam (Holland)
    Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)

GROUP D
    Manchester United (England)
    Olympique Lyon (France)
    Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
    Fenerbahce (Turkey)

GROUP E
    Arsenal (England)
    Panathinaikos (Greece)
    PSV Eindhoven (Holland)
    Rosenborg Trondheim (Norway)

GROUP F
    AC Milan (Italy)
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Celtic (Scotland)
    Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

GROUP G
    Valencia (Spain)
    Inter Milan (Italy)
    Werder Bremen (Germany)
    Anderlecht (Belgium)

GROUP H
    Chelsea (England)
    Porto (Portugal)
    Paris St Germain (France)
    CSKA Moscow (Russia)

That's how I see things lining up at the end.

24. Glavisted

Glavisted Guest

And I hope D'Alessandro going to sign with Deportivo, in this group I can see to Cissé, Chevantón, Rivaldo, Valerón... not bad.
    But the Group F with Barcelona and AC Milán... :shock: .

25. cfdh_edmundo

cfdh_edmundo Maverick

30 December 2002
    Is CSKA Moscow the Russian Club Abramovic owns ?

26. Ernestito

Ernestito Q7

1 May 2003
    Berlin
    Besiktas
    he doesnt own he just helps.they have amazing players like vagner love and daniel carvalho

27. bradley1886

bradley1886 Premiership

6 August 2004
    London
    his company sponsers them

28. Professor Nutmeg

Professor Nutmeg ML Fanatic

3 July 2002
    Master League
    If he owned it, either they or Chelsea wouldn't be allowed to play in Europe.

29. ThomasGOAL

ThomasGOAL Retired Footballer

15 March 2003
    France
    Monaco and Deportivo :mrgreen:

Souvenir, souvenir :mrgreen: