Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 (all formats)

This is pulling in some good reviews on the Wii so far - averaging around 85-90%

Online is said to be 'flawless' with no slow-down or problems and the swing is virtually 1:1.

Mines been dispatched yesterday, so hopefully with get it today...

Just plopped through my door

Meant to be working, so just had a very quick 10 mins and heres my 1st Impressions...

Presentation: Nice, clean interface (bit childish, but functional), fast loading.

Controls: Hmmm... it may be me at the moment, but the swing feels awkward. You cannot (or I cant!) do a 'normal' golf swing as if you do, the final 1/3 of the swing is ignored and you get around 80% power. To acheive a full back-swing, you almost have to swing the remote out infront of you and keep your wrists straight.

It is pretty accurate aside from that, but I bet the new Wiimote add-on will wipe the floor with this.

As I said, I've only had a quick go and I'm sure you can adapt your swing to fit, but dissappointing you cannot 'pick up and play' as you would normally with golf. Putting works ok and chip shots register well. Manual draw and fade is also cool.

Graphics: Nice, but poor - if you see what I mean! The courses are nice (better than 08) but the models are a bit PS2 - but I think the gameplay will mean that the graphics are fine for this game.

Sound: Usual swooshes etc - Hank Haney is voiced so thats quite good. Commentary could get annoying!

Online: Only very quickly connected, but seemed ok - didnt play a game though, so cannot comment.

Will have a longer play at around 1pm - if anyone has any specifics, I'll try to look then...

I have been playing a bit of this, its good when your bored of the games you have and you just wack something different on for an hour and this is perfect for that

I completed the first set of 10 challenges and beat the Pro who challenges you. Then i went into the PGA tour and won a event on my first go finishing with 12 under par :LOL:

Had a hole in one yet? The wife and I have both had one each now :) We generally play tiger tour when separate and 2 player against each other, real shame you can't play PGA events 2 player or play 2 player local + 2 player over internet, real oversight IMO :(

lol It's a good game, but whats with the putting??? I've got it on tour pro mode but the putting system is awful. Trying to use the analog to get 50% power on my putt because I can only putt 3ft then 6ft, 12 etc. Maybe there's a way to master it, I haven't found it out yet.

Push the right stick up on a putt to add three yards, push it down to take off three yards.

Very disappointed that the AI is the same bollocks as before, as I type this I'm currently on my 15th playoff hole because every time I birdie, she birdies, every time I bogey, she bogeys. It's pathetic. :(

Had a hole in one yet? The wife and I have both had one each now :) We generally play tiger tour when separate and 2 player against each other, real shame you can't play PGA events 2 player or play 2 player local + 2 player over internet, real oversight IMO :(

I haven't had a hole in 1 yet

me short game isn't to good but i can hit a good tee shot for a chip onto the green and my putting is where im strongest

Game is quite brilliant online guys.

simultaneous is a brilliant idea.

You can fire round a nine holer in 10 mins (with upto another 3 players).

Agree about the graphics...a little poor by ea's normal standards, but the gameplay is by far the best yet, imo.

Game is quite brilliant online guys.

simultaneous is a brilliant idea.

You can fire round a nine holer in 10 mins (with upto another 3 players).

Agree about the graphics...a little poor by ea's normal standards, but the gameplay is by far the best yet, imo.

Assume you mean the Wii version?

If so, yea - its superb. The swing isnt quite as 1:1 as promised (end of swing has to be vertically in the air rather than a natural swing), but aside from that, the club swing is mapped as close as Wii Sports.

The game is really fun though - online is great and the number of SP modes is brilliant. One of the best Wii games.

Very much liking this new version, still the old oversights (unless I'm wrong and somebody knows how to move the ball around the tee box!) but finding I'm having to concentrate a bit more on Tour Pro this time round which is good. If anyone fancies a round on XBL drop me a line

For me this is the best version so far

i like how the coach trains you but the training itself is very very boring

I'm having huge trouble getting the ball to go the shown distance. It's complete guesswork.

The "circle" will show the landing area as the middle of the green, so I'll hit the ball with a 100% swing and it goes nowhere near the green, it goes into the rough/bunker/water 50yds short of the hole. I've started using a club more than the game recommends, and I'm having a bit more luck, but when it comes to approach shots I don't know what to believe. The PW circle will be bang-centre of the hole, so I swing 100% and it goes 5yds short. (And yes, I'm checking how high/low the target is in the air.)

Is this the game being really shitty or am I missing something?

(Shame the AI is piss poor as well, playing one of the pros on "Pro Tour" difficulty he hit the exact same shot from the tee into the water FIVE TIMES before hitting the green and landing within an inch of the hole, it is fucking awful. As is the commentary - he later hit the ball into some reeds and Sam Torrance says "this is an easy lie". The ball travels about five inches and then he says again, "this is an easy lie".)

I'm having huge trouble getting the ball to go the shown distance. It's complete guesswork.

The "circle" will show the landing area as the middle of the green, so I'll hit the ball with a 100% swing and it goes nowhere near the green, it goes into the rough/bunker/water 50yds short of the hole. I've started using a club more than the game recommends, and I'm having a bit more luck, but when it comes to approach shots I don't know what to believe. The PW circle will be bang-centre of the hole, so I swing 100% and it goes 5yds short. (And yes, I'm checking how high/low the target is in the air.)

Is this the game being really shitty or am I missing something?

(Shame the AI is piss poor as well, playing one of the pros on "Pro Tour" difficulty he hit the exact same shot from the tee into the water FIVE TIMES before hitting the green and landing within an inch of the hole, it is fucking awful. As is the commentary - he later hit the ball into some reeds and Sam Torrance says "this is an easy lie". The ball travels about five inches and then he says again, "this is an easy lie".)

I assume you are checking the lie/wind etc?

You're correct in the fact the AI is awful. How hard would it be to make the AI play a safe shot after messing up??

As for the accuracy in your approach shot. I think that's more you than the game. It is quite difficult, especially on tour pro mode. Your comment about being 5 yards short I'd stab a guess it was the lie of your ball, probably on a slight slant. Who knows though, there's alot of things it could be. Gotta think about the wind, how high or low the green is, how far it is, the lie of your ball, your swing not being straight, the layout of the green. Loads of things you gotta think about, which I like.

Overall I'm really enjoying this game. Got used to the putting now and on tour pro mode it does provide a tough challenge.

I was going into the last whole of a tournament there a shot off the lead. I birdied, to tie for the lead, presumably.

But, I won it. The scoreboard has us both finished at -7, yet I'm first and Maggert is 2nd. How?

There are a lot of oddities in the game. I've got to 50% in the Tiger Challenge and there are a lot of elements of the game that seem rushed. It still annoys me that I'm an amateur golfer playing on the hardest difficulty and yet I can hit drives over 300yds every time and beat the likes of Colin Montgomerie who hits the ball into the water five times in a row before hitting a proper shot. The AI and the commentary is surely the worst of any EA SPORTS game out there this year.

It is a poor all-round package, but at the same time I'm still playing it because if you take the AI out of the equation it's not a bad game. I love the club tuning/tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom