Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 (all formats)

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
No thread for this so I might as well be the one to start it...

Just played the demo, gameplay seems exactly the same as 08. Sam Torrance is one of the commentators, which is great, but I've missed one putt so far and he tells me "this is some of the worst putting I've ever seen" - such a shame they've got a British commentator and then ballsed the actual commentary up.

IMO it's pretty decent, the coach thing works well, it analyses your performance then creates custom drills for you to improve your weak areas :)

Looking forward to the Wii version which promises 1-1 swing mechanics this year and simultanious online play (like EG).

Should be good :)

IMO it's pretty decent, the coach thing works well, it analyses your performance then creates custom drills for you to improve your weak areas :)

That's interesting, same idea used in Madden 09.

• Staff
The training thing isn't bad actually, it's better than the mini-games in TW08, but the gameplay is exactly the same for me. It's good, but I still prefer Everybody's Golf, especially if you can max everything out and hit 400yd shots again (which completely ruined the game for me).

If that's fixed and the commentary is tweaked then I'll be interested - I've not actually heard such poor commentary in an EA SPORTS game, usually they nail the fluff like that. Hit a bad shot and they're saying you're the worst golfer they've ever seen, hit a good shot and they say "what a fantastic player, he's just phenomenal". Piss poor.

I saw a trailer for it a few weeks ago and it looked like they had changed very little, I can't see me buying this years version

Lets be honest, the further in you go the less fun its gets as its gets way too easy. Can you still change the direction of the ball spin in mid-air?

I will be sticking with Everybodys Golf thanks very much.

That's what I meant by the 400yd drives... For a game packed with licenses and photo-realistic graphics it shocks me that you can do things like that. The rubber-band AI is also ridiculous, you birdie, they birdie, you bogey, they bogey (even if they're Tiger Woods and they've got a 5ft par putt left).

And the commentary... Okay, I know it's not the most important thing in the world, but it is the worst I have ever, ever heard in an EA SPORTS game, and it ruins the atmosphere for me. Get an eagle one hole by sinking a 20ft putt, then on the next hole miss a birdie putt and he says "this is some of the worst putting I have ever seen". The woman commentator says "this hole has been made easier this year" and Sam says "maybe, but it's not easier for you Laura" or (whatever her name is). Is that supposed to be side-splittingly funny? It is fucking awful, disgraceful in-fact when you consider it's an EA SPORTS game.

Can you still change the direction of the ball spin in mid-air?

That my friend is one of the biggest floors in these TW games. It's about time they changed this so you could decide spin before hitting the ball. This would make things abit more interesting if you play a crap ball onto the green, as you couldn't rescue it with incredible spin.

I try the demo, look good, not very sharp for a simulator, and i still don't understand why EA don't make a great nextgen graphics for a golf game...

Got the demo last night, it doesn't do a hell of a lot different than 08

That my friend is one of the biggest floors in these TW games. It's about time they changed this so you could decide spin before hitting the ball. This would make things abit more interesting if you play a crap ball onto the green, as you couldn't rescue it with incredible spin.

Dude, already in TW 08 there was the Tour level in which you couldn't change spin and power after you hit the ball. Also, you had to hit really straight to keep the ball on the fairway. It was way harder that way.

Dude, already in TW 08 there was the Tour level in which you couldn't change spin and power after you hit the ball. Also, you had to hit really straight to keep the ball on the fairway. It was way harder that way.

:blush: I don't have TW08, I heard it was crap. How was it?? maybe I could buy that cheap instead of TW09. I need a golf game though.

exactly, i thing tiger woods games are a disgrace, as you basically cheat and its nothing like golf, i.e changing spin after the shot, putting preview lines and all that guff, BUT..... tour mode is a whole different ball game, and its the reason i have bought last years and have pre ordered this years. me and my brother have great games over live on tour mode, you can only set spin before you hit the shot, no putting line to show you where to putt, you have to judge the speed and break, and also instead of every single shot going straight as a ruler, you need to really swing straight with the analogue stick, anything other than straight and you'll really duff it, couple this with a bit of wind and you've got a really good golf sim in my opinion. people can judge it as they please but its unfair to moan about the gimmicks before trying tour play. give it a try, its a good representation of the frustrations felt durin a real round, good one hole, shit the next, lol.

Sounds good. I know with TW you can make it into a good golf sim with abit of tweaking the settings. So that tour mode sounds like something I'd enjoy. Easy golf is boring, you end up just flying through each hole with no thought what so ever.

An EA Sports Xbox 360 game in completely region free shock horror, wonder if that means Fifa09 will be region free on 360, hopefully :)

Yeah this and Madden region free, I would be very suprised if they region locked FIFA. Maybe EA are finally ditching region locks.

Thing I dont like about other Tiger Woods games is that the A.I would always keep up with you even when you are making birdies on every hole for example or if you were doing really bad the game would ajust the A.I. not to so well.

EA should ditch the elastic A.I. or at least give you an option to turn it off.

When playing matchplay, the cheating in the older games was a joke sometimes..

Was it like this in Tiger Woods 08?

Last edited:
Just watched a few more vids of the 1:1 swing and decided to go for it. In the end, it was online that really swung it.

Ordered it from Game so get some points and quidco back. Worrying thing for me, despite the decent previews is the £29.99 selling price and the lack of any reviews!

Might not open it until I see a review! :)

I tried the demo and liked it

but maybe that's because i aint played a golf game for ages

Just watched a few more vids of the 1:1 swing and decided to go for it. In the end, it was online that really swung it.

Ordered it from Game so get some points and quidco back. Worrying thing for me, despite the decent previews is the £29.99 selling price and the lack of any reviews!

Might not open it until I see a review! :)

£29.99 that might "Swing" it for a lot of people :LOL:

It's graphically an improvement from 08, LOD transitions are vastly improved, almost perfect now, used to bug me on older versions, animation transitions are still dodgy sadly :(

Stop putting words in my mouth. This hole point of my post wasnt to tee up any smart remarks.

The Irony is, we will have a Tiger Woods club and no doubt have a ball!

Before I Fore-get... nope gone :(

Back
Top Bottom