The TV Thread

Re: LCD-PLASMA-DLP Help....

ashmufc said:
What the Sharp 1080p will be RRP of 1500? You sure, that is a it fishy. Especially since the Samsung 1080p is priced at 2k, and Samsung isn't anything special. As for refresh rates and contrast ratios, they are usually inflated so don't look into them too much, most of it is bs. As for the blurring, it is a gamble. You can't tell if there is blurring when demoing at the shops, its too hard to spot, so you might spot it when you get it home.

Are you reading about the Sharp on the AVForums?

no it's of their web site?? If they lie I sue ££££ ;)

ashmufc said:
What the Sharp 1080p will be RRP of 1500? You sure, that is a it fishy. Especially since the Samsung 1080p is priced at 2k, and Samsung isn't anything special. As for refresh rates and contrast ratios, they are usually inflated so don't look into them too much, most of it is bs. As for the blurring, it is a gamble. You can't tell if there is blurring when demoing at the shops, its too hard to spot, so you might spot it when you get it home.

Are you reading about the Sharp on the AVForums?

Ooops £1900 inc vat... Already seen it for £1400 though... all info off their site!! ;)

LCD Panel 42" Wide, Advanced Super View & LCD with TruD picture enhancement technology
Resolution 1920x1080
Brightness 450 cd/m2
Contrast 12000:1
Back Light Life 60,000 hours
Response Time 4ms
Viewing Angle H: 176°, V: 176°
Power Source AC 220V–240V, 50Hz
Power Consumption TBC
Tuner IDTV Freeview DVB tuner
2x HDMI INPUT, 2x SCART IN, AV/S-VIDEO IN, COMPONENT IN (VIA VGA), PC INPUT (VGA), RS232

U could get that projector for footy/games/movies and a good 36" CRT TV for the kids/TV watching and still be under 2k.
I did! (for 3k budget 3 yrs ago)

Nick I still think that you should go plasma as they produce a better picture, especially with SD which will be the majority of the viewing in UK, unless you don't watch normal TV.

jonboyo, that is a great idea except it does get messy if you want to route the cables professionally from one side of the room to the other.

ashmufc I keep hearing that pic wise it's the other way round now.... my mate has a 37" panny... the one that's rated the best plasma in all the mags and sites, the one with the stupid curved stand. To be honest the picture sucks unless you play DVD or HD.... This given it's "best plasma" tag has put me right off...
I know you work for Tosh ;) but hand on heart can you honestly say Plasma is a better pic :-k

I'll tell you the truth :)
In my living space, plasma has a massive downside, there is another room on the opposite side, with bay windows to the garden, and all the light reflects onto the screen, but I have curtains but it makes the room dark.

As for picture, I can honestly say SD looks better on plasma then LCD, LCD makes everything look to sharp/computerised edge enchanced. The bext example is on Freeview, I watch abc1 a lot (don't laugh) and the bitrate for it is quite low and icomparing to LCD, the plasma is better. Also the plasma has the better blacks. As for on HD Media, its more level the playing field, I would say they were the same.

The only MAJOR gripes about LCD is poorblack levels compared to CRT and Plasma, and the blurring/smearing when camera pans. I watched the World Cup with this, and it really pissed me off.

But.. I haven't seen the new Sharp in action so can't tell you much about it. I have seen the Sony 46X in action, and the blacks do look on par with plasma, though that was in a well lit showroom so you couldn't actually tell how good the blacks were, but from reports from people who have it say it is very good.

As for your mate, is the TV set up properly, because majortiy of plasmas/LCDs picture modes are rubbish, it was on the LCD I had with the brightness/conmtrast soo high making everything ugly.

EDIT: Also when sitting right upfront on the plasma, the picture looks worse than being upfront on an LCD, thats just how the technology, so if you sit with your nose right in front of the TV, go LCD lol!

Last edited:

I think it's set up right they came out to fit it though that's no guarantee i know..... The blacks on the latest Sony and the Sharp too have been widely praised as best on any flat-screen and the refresh rates are supposed to kill any motion blur, but this is all I've gleamed from mags and showrooms... until you get the thing on the wall at home and put Scrubs on abc1 ;)... I've no idea what it's going to be like, a bit scary really.... when you think my 10 year old Sony probably has a better image and for sure better sound....

But not on HD....
Tough one, the problem being how manufacturers over-inflate their stats.
e.g. My plasmas contrast ratio is supposedly 10,000:1, whereas my LCD's 800:1, so some BS going on there. Same can be said with response rate, battle of figures really from the big names. And try when you go demoing try to watch some footy, or take a DVD of it. It is quite hard to spot in a showroom, due to it being very well lit. Good luck.

To be honest I hate sky and cancelled my subscription a few weeks ago when I switched to cable and I'm loathed to pay for HD when there is still so little apart from movies and wildlife prog's about, so my HD inputs will not be used for a while anyway, maybe a PS3 or a 360 may get some use out of a full 1080, though they wont, I don't think use the HDMI slots, though I'm not sure??
Things used to be a lot simpler on the TV side of things, I just bought the best I could afford to at the time... now I have no clue which is the best format let alone the best make n' model....thanks for all your help ashmufc :salute:

Last edited:

Nick Cave said:
To be honest I hate sky and cancelled my subscription a few years ago when I switched to cable and I'm loathed to pay for HD when there is still so little apart from movies and wildlife prog's about, so my HD inputs will not be used for a while anyway, maybe a PS3 or a 360 may get some use out of a full 1080, though they wont, I don't think use the HDMI slots, though I'm not sure??
Things used to be a lot simpler on the TV side of things, I just bought the best I could afford to at the time... now I have no clue which is the best format let alone the best make n' model....thanks for all your help ashmufc :salute:
The PS3 will have HDMI out.

Do you know when the Sharps are out? Also the new Toshiba 42WLT68 is out in Mid Ocotber, but you will keep on waiting your whole life LOL! Also don’t you have a 360 already? If not get one + HD-DVD add on, or get the Toshiba 1080p HD-DVD player out in November, though it is pricey at £600 or so.

Yeah its not been released on their site yet, you will hvae to wait :)
I'll post when I get nay news, it will have 3x HDMI and a LCD-esque type 100Hz technology to stop smearing.

Just found out, the Toshiba 42WLT68 i.e. the 100hz one will be 1336x768, not 1920x1080.

Heard about the JVC but not seen it.

If you can strech to £600, there is a great Hyundai Imagequest 32".

But at £400 and news from the AVForum, it looks decent, if you watch just HD. Mmm... very interesting, I hope stock does not run out!

Last edited:
I see already few FullHD screens on 95cm at 1690€ from Toshiba, Thomson etc... i hope Sony, Samsung and Pioneer down the price like the other brand for March/April ^^

Nick, the Sony 40W2000 is quite "cheap" relative tot he X series. Isn't it around £1600?

Thomas, you looking to buy a 1080p screen? Watch out,t he toshiba is 1920x1080 but only accepts 1080i, not 1080p. And the Pioneer only have one 1080p screen out so far, and its over £5000 and I don't see it getting cheaper anytime soon.

Yeah the Toshiba Regza 42WLG66, it is FullHD resolution, i.e. 1920x1080 but only accepts 1080i max, no native 1080p. But still a good option because that means no downscaling 1080i to 720/768p for most people. And also the difference between real 1080i and 1080p is very small, if any especially for movies.

Woah. My parents are looking at getting themselves a new TV for Christmas so I thought "I know, that thread on Evo-Web will help".

Plasma, LCD, 41", 30", £2000+... Confused.com... :|

Okay, can I have some recommendations? Size-wise it doesn't really matter too much, around 40" is great but less if it means saving a grand or something ridiculous... Terrestrial television is watched via a set-top box so does that mean plasma would be worse than LCD? It has to be HD compatible, seeing as (for the money it will cost) it will have to last a few years. It needs to have it's own speakers and it needs to be able to support a DVD player, POSSIBLY a video player as well (I want to buy them a DVD recorder for Christmas but I could use some advice on that as well, heh :oops:); a 360\PS3 may also get plugged into it at some point.

£1000 is seen as steep, £1200 (or thereabouts, possibly £1400 if it sings, dances and makes the tea) is seen as the absolute limit. Is it possible to find a decent LCD TV for that price even? I've no idea, I've barely looked because most of the time I've got no idea if what I'm looking at is decent or not... :eh:

All help much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom