The TV Thread

Nick, any news? I would reccomend you for the Sony X Series now if you want 1080p :) But plasma would still be first.

Still can't find anyone stocking the sharp, that's the one I'm going for, you say the Sony would be your choice, though its a lot more cash and a slower refresh rate. They are both 1080p are they not? Need to check the backs as it's going to be wall mounted and a couple I've seen make it almost impossible to put scart sockets etc in or out when mounted. The bracket I'm looking at is the one that pulls out on an arm and tilts too. I know there are a few more models coming out but it's getting like buying a PC, the bar keeps going up every few months...

The Sharp has been plauged with "banding" probelms, though the Sony W has had some backlighting issues, so hit and miss on both. But from users comments I would go for Sony W.

The Sharp has been plauged with "banding" probelms, though the Sony W has had some backlighting issues, so hit and miss on both. But from users comments I would go for Sony W.

hmmm not heard of the problems!! any more info on that!!

So you would say the extra bucks on the the Sony X would be well worth it... Damn I hate Sony...;)

This just keeps getting more and more expensive.:lmao:

I've decided to wait 'til January now and see how good the 37'' Fujitsu Aviamo will be.:shock:

hmmm not heard of the problems!! any more info on that!!

So you would say the extra bucks on the the Sony X would be well worth it... Damn I hate Sony...;)

LOL Appartently the X Series can't do 1080p via VGA from 360, while W series can.

As for the W series backlight problems, I would say hit and miss, and most people won't recognise it. Just that people on AVForums are "radicals" if you get what I mean.

As for that Fujitsu, you must have loads of m0ney!

Oh cack don't know which to choose now, three separate reports on the Sony 40X having poor blur if not a HD signal and ash telling me about "banding" trouble with the Sharp... I'm never going to get a set at this rate, I fear it's coming down to a coin toss!!

Did I hear someone say plasma?

Just go for the Sony 40X2000 :) I might be getting the 40W2000, I will hopefully be demoing both sets today.

Yep X series is better than W series.

Finalyl made a decision, as I have to go LCD route due to room being very bright with lots of light coming in from windows, I am going for Toshiba 37WLT68 or Sharp LC37XD1E. I'll try to get a demo of them both. The Toshiba looks great IMHO due to special 100hz technology which should take away the smearing problems commonsly assoicated with LCDs, and has been getting great reviews.

My family is in the same situation with the window-light. Out of the two televisions you've mentioned, Ash (and the gleaming mention of the Sharp's 100hz technology you've given), how does the Toshiba compare (I only ask because there's an outlet centre just down the road and I could probably save a few hundred quid on that one compared to the Sharp; £1,000 might have to be our limit :()?

It is the Toshiba with the 100hz technology, not the Sharp. From what I here, the Sharp has had problems like banding, buzzing etc. The Toshiba has had no such problems. What size you after? The Toshiba 37WLT68 is the one you should be after personally after, the cheapest online is: £1173.88. Try to haggle it down, or wait till Boxing Day sales.

Toshiba is having great reviews so far. It takes 1080p and then downscales it to native res. of 1368 x 768.

The Toshiba 37WLT68 is in our nearest Toshiba outlet for £1000. I saw it today, with the family, and while I was absolutely gobsmacked at the quality, they wondered off to the 42" tellies, and that's it now, they don't want less than 42". :roll:

Is there a good 42" Toshiba? I'll try and find out the model number of what they had (EDIT: it was a 42WLT66, which they're selling for £1400).

Last edited:
Jack, can you PM me the name and adress of that shop please! 1k! Online its like 1.2k everywhere.

If you want 42", look at the Toshiba 42WLT68. That is the 42" version of that TV.

And as for the 42WLT66, that is the older model but still very good. I would personally stay away from this model as people have been complaining about banding on this model.

Ah, now that you mention it, it must have been a 37WLT66 in the shop for £1k rather than the 37WLT68. Sorry - it's quite a few miles away from you anyway, if you're down in London (this place is the Toshiba Outlet in Cheshire Oaks which is, as the name implies, in Cheshire)!

I didn't see any "68" models there, perhaps they're trying to shift the old ones before putting them out. I'll have to go back and ask them what they're playing at!

What is "banding", by the way? Is it something that arises in time or is it evident from the word go?

Yeah the latest models, but I "hear" that the ones with banding where a bad batch, and the new ones don't have it, don't know how much truth is in that. I will try to find out.

No idea why it is not 1080p. It does take 1080p via HDMI, component and VGA and downscale it to native res. Whereas on Sony/Sharp they only accept via HDMI and VGA and not component. I've seen a demo, and I really preffered the Toshiba, this special Active Vision 100hZ makes the smearing handling very good. Try to get a demo.

Yeah the latest models, but I "hear" that the ones with banding where a bad batch, and the new ones don't have it, don't know how much truth is in that. I will try to find out.

No idea why it is not 1080p. It does take 1080p via HDMI, component and VGA and downscale it to native res. Whereas on Sony/Sharp they only accept via HDMI and VGA and not component. I've seen a demo, and I really preffered the Toshiba, this special Active Vision 100hZ makes the smearing handling very good. Try to get a demo.

I think I need to find a store with all three, Tosh', sharp and Sony... go in with my PS2 and a copy of We or Pes and plug n' play, Which ever gives me the best pic wins!! It's worse than choosing a PC, a new model keeps popping up!! :roll:

I've definitely nailed it down now to the Toshiba 42WLT66/68, which is a bloody relief. So now it's deciding whether to get the 66 version for £1400 and try and work a free DVD recorder out of the store (which I've heard they've done before), or get the 68 version and pay an extra £100.

Seeing as the 68 does look better thanks to the 100hz stuff (it better be bloody worth it Ash ;)), and seeing as this would mean missing out on 1080p, would I notice a difference? I mean, if I saw a 360 playing a game in 1080i and 1080p next to eachother, would the difference be noticeable?

Last edited:
Seeing as the 68 does look better thanks to the 100hz stuff (it better be bloody worth it Ash ;)), and seeing as this would mean missing out on 1080p, would I notice a difference?
I think the difference between a 1920×1080 image and a 1280×720 image is quite noticeable especially if the 1080p image is making good use of the extra pixels.
I'm quite picky about things like this cuz it stands out to me a lot more. One of my mates on the other hand doesnt see the difference. Well he kinda does but it doesnt bother him as much as it bothers me.

I've not thought about it like that before actually (comparing resolution to resolution), cheers for posting that. I've read that 1080p eliminates jaggies (and the jaggies in PGR3 really wind me up, driving past a pole\antenna thing that appears and disappears as a jagged line)... But it's not for me, it's for the family, and they only watch freeview and DVDs.

I've seen a 42" 42WLT66 (1080i) for £1100, which compared to the 42" Sharp LC42XD1E (1080p) is a saving of £400. I don't know if eliminating the jaggies on a pole in a racing game is worth £400 (that's almost a 50% increase in price), especially when on a 1280x1024 monitor I don't notice jaggies in any other game...

Last edited:
Tough one. I assume the picture quality engine in the WLT68 is better than the WLT66. How far do you sit from the screen? Because only if you sit really close you will see the difference between 720p and 1080i/p, but if you sit too close SD will look crap.... lose-lose situation. But personally if it was me, I would go for the WLT68 as if you haven't owned a alrge screen LCD, you will find watching footy on this crap due to smearing and banding. The WLT66 has had many banding problems from many owners, but not all of them I would say 80% are affected.

Thank you so much Ash, I would have got one if you hadn't said that last line. Much appreciated, mate.

So the WLT68 doesn't have the same issues? Has it been out long enough for people to guage if it's any different yet?

So far no problems with WLT68. From what I here there is a difference, but no one can tell if it is worth £xxx more for that much better-ness. Upto you to decide. I think the WLT68 looks nicer, and has 3x HDMI.
I should be able to get a demo of a few sets this weekend so will report back.

I just want to let you know that Toshiba CS is one of the best out of all manufacturers. They are really friendly, in England (not India) and treated me very well and many others, so if anything does go wrong I am pretty sure they can fix it, replace it or let you have a refund.

That's good to know, cheers. :) Seriously Ash, thanks for all the help. If it wasn't for you the family would be sitting here with a crap set. Top bloke. :thumbup:

The 68 definitely looks the way to go (seeing as the 42" Sharp looks a bit too pricey - still, I'd love to read a comparison of both). Just a shame that none of the shops have them yet, they're still trying to get rid of the 66s!

EDIT: I've just read that the 42WLT66 native res is 1920x and the 68 is 1388x.. Is that right?! Argh!! :(

Last edited:
Yep that is right. Resolution doesn't always mean better remember, SD would look worser on a higher res than on the lower res which is undoubtedly what will make up most of your viewing?

Anyway, I will try to demo the WLT68s tommorow.

If a 1920x image was resized down to 1388x, like the 68 is supposed to do... I wonder if it will be sharper or if it will be squashed-looking. Hmmm.

Thanks for all the help again, let us know how any demoing goes! :)

Back
Top Bottom