The Retro-PES Corner

World Youth League Week 10

With 5 games to go there's still lots to play for. At the top Atalanta continue to look favourites to take the title but are the nerves beginning to show? The free scoring outfit were finally kept at bay last week by an inspired Torino side who defended brilliantly and even had a chance or two to nick the win. This week they face a Tottenham team who have turned their season around in recent weeks and with a caretaker manager to impress will present another tough challenge for the leaders.

Lyon failed to capitalise on Atalanta's draw last week, losing at home to Tottenham. They face an unknown task in Germany. Which Bayern will turn up? Not even their manager knows.

Porto continue to keep their outside hopes alive in third place. They face a Marseille side who are still searching for their first win. Porto, along with Bayern, have the worst defensive record in the league, could this be the day Marseille find a way to goal?

The remaining game is a mid table battle between Dinamo Zagreb and Torino. Torino could move above Dinamo with a win and fresh from their excellent point with Atalanta will go into the game with a bit of confidence. Both teams rely heavily on one man for their goals. Baturina for Zagreb and Millico for Torino. Which one will have their shooting boots on?

Dinamo Zagreb v Torino

9.30 (uk)

@sniglet @wildwind @rockstrongo @geeeeee @Flipper the Priest @jihado86

Guys, I mentioned this briefly to Ricky a couple of weeks back when we were watching one of the games and have been thinking about the best way to include it.

Torino were 1-0 down and Ricky mentioned something about how he'd throw Cappolo up front late on in a bid to chase a goal and that's what led to this idea.

To give us the manager another little bit of control I was thinking about having say an option for let's say for the moment a "70th minute instruction"

Each week you can choose one instruction, depending on the state of the game at 70 minutes. So you choose one for if you are losing and one for if you are winning (perhaps even drawing, particularly late season when you might desperately need the win)

Then at 70 minutes I'll pause the match and make the necessary change.

So, what changes could we use? First of course sub wise it will depend on whether the AI has already had to make three changes

Feel free to suggest more ideas but at the moment I'm thinking of having these as options

Losing at 70 mins

1) Bring on another striker and change formation.
2) Move a centre back (or another player) up front and change formation.
3) Change formation (allow AI to reposition - I'll click autoselect)
4) Change to all out attack rather than AI controlling - to be fair the AI is pretty good at doing that but this would allow you to ensure it goes for it)

Winning at 70 mins

1) Change formation
2) Change to all out defence
3) Drop a striker back into midfield
4) Sub on a defensive player - take striker off (or whatever variation you want)

Drawing at 70 mins

Any of the above depending on whether you're looking to grab a point or need to get a win.

Or you can choose to just let the AI get on with and make any decisions as it does now.

So, the idea is you pick any or all of the options and let me know the particulars of which formation you want to change to (we could set these in strategy 1 and 2 for att/def then I could just pick those formations at that point) and which sub if there are still subs available.

I thought we'd start it next week then it'll give us four games of this test league to iron out anything and fine tune it.

Thoughts and ideas welcome. Also we probably need to keep it as an ongoing situation from the 70 minute mark in the game. For instance at 70 mins its level then one side takes the lead at 80 mins so we really need to still make that attacking change at that point. Then there's an equaliser and perhaps one manager wants to go defensive at that point and one is going for the win, so both changes need to be made again otherwise it will be a bit pointless making the change at 70 minutes, but then perhaps leaving your team exposed if the match situation subsequently changes. For instance you go all out attack and grab the lead but then you don't want to still be playing 3-3-4 for example when you now need to hang on to your lead.

So the best way may be for us to all set a defensive and attacking formation that I can switch to from 70 minutes onwards as the game situation dictates, if you as the manager have opted to do that during that particular match.

Last edited:
@mattmid
Great idea being able to change the formation/make a sub or change Def/attack level.

And also having a line drawn that it's from the 70th min and fw that is the rule is necessary,otherwise it'll be way to messy (especially for you)

I wouldn't mind having the option of going from a 4-4-2 balanced lineup,and being down at the 70th minute by 1-0/2-1/-2-0 etc to a 3-4-3 attacking formation.
But also the other way around,seeing the game out if leading,changing to a 5-4-1 for instance!

Are we allowed to go from let's say 4-4-2 being 1-0 down to a 3-4-3 then equalising and changing back to a 4-4-2?
Or should we keep it simple and go for one instruction?

In my case, trailing to let's say Spurs with 1-0 I change my 4-4-2 to a 3-4-3 with my big guy Coppola up front (from original CB position) then keeping it?

Maybe test out one instruction/formation change at first?
Then if it's working out,doing some more with our next league?

Ideas and input fellows?

@sniglet @rockstrongo

Yeah I think that makes sense to keep it simple.

To keep it straightforward we could have something like this

If losing at 70 mins

Formation to 3-4-3 (for example)
(option of throwing a particular player up front or just a straight formation switch and AI select positions)
Option to change the AI Full Auto on Att/Def to one of your choosing

and similarly for "If winning"

Then perhaps say if you want to return to normal if you get a goal back or if the other team equalise when you are trying to see the game out defensively. Then if there's a goal I can change it back to normal if required.

So for the example above Ricky's team are trailing 1-0 at 70 mins, his instruction is to switch to 3-4-3 with Coppola going up front. They grab an equaliser and return to their 4-4-2 with Coppola returning to centre back. That's if the AI hasn't subbed him :TWIST: :LOL:

@sniglet @rockstrongo

Yeah I think that makes sense to keep it simple.

To keep it straightforward we could have something like this

If losing at 70 mins

Formation to 3-4-3 (for example)
(option of throwing a particular player up front or just a straight formation switch and AI select positions)
Option to change the AI Full Auto on Att/Def to one of your choosing

and similarly for "If winning"

Then perhaps say if you want to return to normal if you get a goal back or if the other team equalise when you are trying to see the game out defensively. Then if there's a goal I can change it back to normal if required.

So for the example above Ricky's team are trailing 1-0 at 70 mins, his instruction is to switch to 3-4-3 with Coppola going up front. They grab an equaliser and return to their 4-4-2 with Coppola returning to centre back. That's if the AI hasn't subbed him :TWIST: :LOL:
I see great manager potential in you Matt!

Yep i agree with your post @mattmid regarding changes from the 70th minute mark. Just need to make sure we keep it simple for yourself mostly as you will be making the changes. Regarding the tactical changes will it be a case of waiting for the ball to go out of play or making it mid game?

I was reading old PES 5 threads to see people’s opinions back then. This thread was quite interesting. https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-beautiful-game-has-become-ugly.26504/

Notice the 1st post and then how his opinion changes towards the last post. And nothing to do with patches, updates, along with placebo. Just a steep learning curve.

@geeeeee That's a good point. I think perhaps the first one I could pause at 70 mins and make the changes to either side that are requested. Then any changes caused by a goal, I'd do before the restart as that would make sense.

Just going to have a read of that thread.

@geeeeee That's a good point. I think perhaps the first one I could pause at 70 mins and make the changes to either side that are requested. Then any changes caused by a goal, I'd do before the restart as that would make sense.

Just going to have a read of that thread.

Heh don’t expect the thread to be a fantastic read. I read the first page and wondered why the thread had been closed so i jumped to the last page and thought it was interesting how the persons opinion had changed from his first post.

I was pretty similar with most retro PES’. Not initially liking them and eventually loving the changes especially PES5. It’s a shame now that with the latest games, companies make changes with patches that upset some and please others. It’s all about making money now, bringing out that new patch with the new faces, changing the gameplay each time.

Where as before it was “here is the game, this is how it will be until next year.”

Heh don’t expect the thread to be a fantastic read. I read the first page and wondered why the thread had been closed so i jumped to the last page and thought it was interesting how the persons opinion had changed from his first post.

I was pretty similar with most retro PES’. Not initially liking them and eventually loving the changes especially PES5. It’s a shame now that with the latest games, companies make changes with patches that upset some and please others. It’s all about making money now, bringing out that new patch with the new faces, changing the gameplay each time.

Where as before it was “here is the game, this is how it will be until next year.”

Yes, it was interesting seeing that big change in how he felt about the new version in that thread. I seem to remember loving it straight away as I did 6 as well, then the abomination that was the pc version of 2008 hit. I did buy 2009 and felt it was better although still not at the 3/4/5/6 level. Strangely I can't find that one now, I have no idea where it is, I have the others still but that seems to have vanished. I remember playing a fair bit on the BAL mode and enjoying it. Must have another search for it sometime!

It does appear to be all about the online crowd and micro transactions nowadays, although I have to say I quite liked the pes20 demo but it hasn't drawn me back continually, haven't touched it in at least 3 weeks. Might pick it up on sale though later on.

World Youth League

As the transfer window is firmly closed now and we're getting to the last 4/5 wks of our test season it's time to start making the 12 first team players you are going to choose from your teams. Also time to decide if you want to change team or not.

Currently it is

@mattmid Lyon
@wildwind Man Utd
@rockstrongo AC Milan
@sniglet Dinamo Zagreb
@Flipper the Priest Marseille
@geeeeee Tottenham
@jihado86 Bayern Munich

Also if any one else would like to join feel free to post here, all are welcome. :)

What I need from you all now please is to select 20 players from your current youth team squad and 12 players from your selected team's real life current first team squad (if you wish to include a current youth file player in the first team squad as he is now playing there that's fine - just don't include him twice)

So what we'll have is an initial 32 man squad, 20 players from the youth file and 12 current real life players from their current first team squad. The 12 players can be of any age you like.

For more details on the new league read here: https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-mima-pes6-manager-league.80544/

I'll be posting some more info on their soon.

The best retrospective point of the thread was " Fred, who is this guy? ". :P
Sometimes it gets really fun watching the past from the future (now present) perspective!

@slamsoze Yeah I liked that bit :) That's what's is intriguing with this Youth File, wondering who in years to come will be big stars and thinking ah I remember him at Torino. There's already players in the file that are starting to play for first teams.

@geeeeee
Unbeaten :) A good performance with a little bit of help from the woodwork. Any time Atalanta score less than two it's a good display! Did you watch it in the window here on evo-web - if you go to youtube when it's on we have the chat on if anyone's about.

Yes i watched it in the window. I was actually quite nervous. I was disappointed with our final ball. A couple of times there was a player running through but they couldn't find him. I am pleased with the result and a couple of good goals from both sides.

It's surprising how it gets to you isn't it :) You can only begin to imagine what it's like for the real manager's standing helpless on the touchline.

As this forum has most activity, then I will ask my question here... Does anyone have a list of players for PES5 that have hidden skills/attributes and what those skills/attributes are?

World Youth League

Player Stats to date.

Player Of The Season Race (Decided by Pts Per 90 mins - must have played 50% of total possible minutes)

Kulusevski holds a narrow lead as we head into the last 4 games. The pack are closing in and it could still go any way.

POTS.JPG

Golden Boot

This is still very much looking as if it's going to go to the wire. 4 players are now level on 6 goals and there's a bunch in behind them. Anyone who can get a goal a game from now until the end of the season could find himself winning the Golden Boot.

GBoot.JPG

Assists

Kulusevski in the lead as he has been for some time. It will take a fine finish to the season to beat him from here.

Assists.JPG

Completed Passes

Want to keep the ball? These are the guys to have then. That guy at the top looks mighty familiar!

Pass.JPG

Lost the ball because you don't have one of the above and want to win it back? Here's the men for the job. Pavlak leading the way with Gyabuaa very close behind. CB Sportelli worthy of a mention here as well.

int.JPG

World Youth League

New 70 minutes(+) instructions (optional)

For each of the possible situations (Leading/Drawing/Losing) pick some/all of these instructions.

Keep things the same
Formation Change
Move a player up front(or into defence)
Change Att/Def to a particular one (rather than the default AI full auto)

Example:

Leading:

Change to 4-5-1
Change Att/Def to Auto-Defence

Losing:

Change to 4-3-3
Change Att/Def to Auto-Attack

Drawing:

Keep everything the same.

So assuming the above are the instructions this is how it might play out....

70 mins it's 1-1 so the instruction is to keep things as they were

78 mins the opposition score and you go 2-1 down. Losing instruction now comes in to play before the restart. Formation changed to 4-3-3 and Att/Def to Auto-Attack

86 mins you grab an equaliser. Drawing instruction now comes in to play and things are returned to the starting formation.

88 mins Incredible you go ahead. Leading instruction come into play and you go 4-5-1 with Auto-Defence.

That's of course an extreme example but just so you can see how it might play out.

Players Injured for this week:

Atalanta: Girgi 1 wk
Bayern: Davies, Anderson 1 wk
FC Porto: Canedo, Alfonso Sousa 1 wk
Lyon: Griffiths 2 wks, Matam 1 wk
Torino: Ibrahimi 1 wk
Tottenham: Skipp 1 wk

No suspended players this week but no less than 45(!) players are now on 1 yellow card.

World Youth League

New 70 minutes(+) instructions (optional)

For each of the possible situations (Leading/Drawing/Losing) pick some/all of these instructions.

Keep things the same
Formation Change
Move a player up front(or into defence)
Change Att/Def to a particular one (rather than the default AI full auto)

Example:

Leading:

Change to 4-5-1
Change Att/Def to Auto-Defence

Losing:

Change to 4-3-3
Change Att/Def to Auto-Attack

Drawing:

Keep everything the same.

So assuming the above are the instructions this is how it might play out....

70 mins it's 1-1 so the instruction is to keep things as they were

78 mins the opposition score and you go 2-1 down. Losing instruction now comes in to play before the restart. Formation changed to 4-3-3 and Att/Def to Auto-Attack

86 mins you grab an equaliser. Drawing instruction now comes in to play and things are returned to the starting formation.

88 mins Incredible you go ahead. Leading instruction come into play and you go 4-5-1 with Auto-Defence.

That's of course an extreme example but just so you can see how it might play out.

Players Injured for this week:

Atalanta: Girgi 1 wk
Bayern: Davies, Anderson 1 wk
FC Porto: Canedo, Alfonso Sousa 1 wk
Lyon: Griffiths 2 wks, Matam 1 wk
Torino: Ibrahimi 1 wk
Tottenham: Skipp 1 wk

No suspended players this week but no less than 45(!) players are now on 1 yellow card.

Hmm, is there an option for 5-0-5 ..? Although sometimes it feels like Zagreb play with a 6-0-4, so might not make much difference!

#MarseilleThings @Flipper the Priest

Back
Top Bottom