The Retro-PES Corner

So, apart from the Nippon edition coming out six months earlier and having J-League teams, what is the big dog and pony show on here about the WE editions ?
Konami's old WE release strategy was to put out a new game when JL started in January and another when the European leagues started in August. They were the same game to me anyway, except for the J-League versions.

Still catching up with all recent chat about PES 2 through PES 6 editions (WE 6 through WE 10) for our global elite membership :Y1.

PES 5 or Winning Eleven 9 ? Well does it matter if the Japanese edition of the game has a tiny bit better AI as from what I experienced playing PES 6 for twelve master league seasons, you could get a tonne of scoreless draws and gather at least a eight or nine snore draws in a season, even with just default and youth list players. @miguelfcp and @mattmid did the same, but even better. The tough part was scoring against the AI.

So, apart from the Nippon edition coming out six months earlier and having J-League teams, what is the big dog and pony show on here about the WE editions ?

:CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

are you talking about we9 or we9le?

Final 2 games of my 2002 World Cup, 3rd Place Playoff & of course, The Final (Which is a bit of a thriller!) :BOP:

It's the fixture no team wants to play in, but it's a FIFA formality - The 3rd Place Play Off! Once heavy favourites Brazil challenge proud dark horses USA for the Bronze medals!

This is it! 64 World Cup fixtures of drama, heartbreak and ecstasy culminate in this - The Final contested between Germany & England. The long awaited rematch of their 1966 thriller from Wembley.

Brilliant videos @MafiaMurderBag

I've been watching a lot of PES 1-3 videos, the long ball physics seem a lot more floaty than PES 5-6 etc which kind of adds to the unpredictability, just observations from watching it, anyone know where I can download PES 3? I never thought I would go further back than PES 5 lol

@MafiaMurderBag Great video! A worthy final to end a great tournament.

@MafiaMurderBag: I'm speechless, what a way to end it. Please, do more of these, the entire campaign was fantastic!
Thanks for the kind words guys, it was exhausting but very fun. I used to do tournaments like this all the time when i was a kid (Before Youtube & internet) and me and my mate would commentate with our selves and pick 16 teams each. So it was mostly me recreating that magic i had as a kid but also, PES games were so special because when doing campaigns and tournaments, you could create drama and excitement you couldn't really get in any other football game, the teams and fixtures & tables would start telling their own stories. You'd get upsets, Dark horses, Players that can't stop scoring, Star strikers that can't seem to catch a break and score a single goal etc.

I'll definitely do more tournaments and i'll do them on different games too. I'm thinking of doing a club one, like a Champions League on my favorite, PES 5 (Or maybe WE9:LE)

Wamhat spec would you need to run pes 6 with the mods
I'm not an expert on PC specs but by today's standards, any modern PC could run it easily. Maybe if you share your specs, I or someone else can look over them and confirm whether you'd be good to go.

I've been watching a lot of PES 1-3 videos, the long ball physics seem a lot more floaty than PES 5-6 etc which kind of adds to the unpredictability, just observations from watching it, anyone know where I can download PES 3? I never thought I would go further back than PES 5 lol
Are you on PC? If so, check out the link below. I can't find one for PES 3, but here's Winning Eleven 7, Which is the same game as PES 3. It's also got the corrected kits and emblems fro the 03/04 season which the game takes place in.
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/p...installers-by-sany.67651/page-53#post-3359334

Nope, in PES 3, the ball moves like a bullet compared to later and earlier PES editions. In PES 2, you are correct, the ball did float like a balloon most of the time.

Konami's old WE release strategy was to put out a new game when JL started in January and another when the European leagues started in August. They were the same game to me anyway, except for the J-League versions.

Thanks, that is kinda what I suspected, how could the AI difficulty or COM teams play be tougher in a Liveware Evolution mid-game update edition than say PES 5 or the next game PES 6 ? Did they change the game code ?

Aaron Ramsey is about to join Juventus this summer and is looking forward to the "training regime" at the bianconeri that will make his physique something similar to this......

Nothing fishy. :FISH::FISH::FISH:

Downloaded WE7 last night with the 2003-4 patch, thoroughly enjoyable, individually more pronounced and AI were difficult to beat in comparison to PES 5,6.

Whats the most difficult of the older PES's?

New on the Retro Sports Club: Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - review
Great article. I agree with everything that's said about this one, I do remember how it had some wonky, inconsistent shooting but for the most part, it's the first great PES game of the PS2 era for me. The first to incorporate many PES staples such as full leagues, Master League with real squads, hold pass button longer to pass to a further away player, some stunning player likenesses and great menu music.

PES 3 was my first PES game, i just got into football and picked the game up well after release so PES 4 was the first time i was actually excitedly anticipating a new PES game. Back when you had to wait for the new screen shots and news in the PlayStation magazine every month, I was so delighted when i read the quality of life improvements they were making with the game not to mention how much better it looked visually. This was the first time Konami started to really focus on the art direction of the game and their talented face makers came to fruition.

This was the first game where i got to experience the hype around the demo's release, was being released exclusively in the official PlayStation magazine a few weeks before the games release, All my friends thought i was some kind of sad nerd being so excited about a magazines release date, they didn't live and breath PES like i did back then.

I do remember the demo had, in my opinion, a much better face for Michael Owen then the final game.

Great article. I agree with everything that's said about this one, I do remember how it had some wonky, inconsistent shooting but for the most part, it's the first great PES game of the PS2 era for me. The first to incorporate many PES staples such as full leagues, Master League with real squads, hold pass button longer to pass to a further away player, some stunning player likenesses and great menu music.

PES 3 was my first PES game, i just got into football and picked the game up well after release so PES 4 was the first time i was actually excitedly anticipating a new PES game. Back when you had to wait for the new screen shots and news in the PlayStation magazine every month, I was so delighted when i read the quality of life improvements they were making with the game not to mention how much better it looked visually. This was the first time Konami started to really focus on the art direction of the game and their talented face makers came to fruition.

This was the first game where i got to experience the hype around the demo's release, was being released exclusively in the official PlayStation magazine a few weeks before the games release, All my friends thought i was some kind of sad nerd being so excited about a magazines release date, they didn't live and breath PES like i did back then.

I do remember the demo had, in my opinion, a much better face for Michael Owen then the final game.

EMO......:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

Downloaded WE7 last night with the 2003-4 patch, thoroughly enjoyable, individually more pronounced and AI were difficult to beat in comparison to PES 5,6.

Whats the most difficult of the older PES's?
PES 3 or WE 7 or WE 7 LE or WE 7 LE Ford Capri, me head is a spinning......:DOH::DOH::DOH:

Loved them days. Every screenshot and preview from the games magazines meant so much back in the day. Every release day was better than Christmas, especially if you were lucky to get the game a few days in advance.

Glad to have rediscovered the golden generation of PES's and now PES 3 which is challenging in comparison to PES 5/6.

Which retro PES do you guys think had the best player positioning?

Ever since I played modern football games and especially 2013 (you can definitely tell a player with high positioning stat from one with low positioning, Fox in the Box card etc.), I just couldn't bring myself to play more than a few games of any PS2 era games because players just don't make runs into space. However I don't want the game to make positioning too perfect either, in FIFA it feels like everyone can make runs like Vardy does irl regardless of the positioning stat.

Last edited:

Ever since I played modern football games and especially 2013 (you can definitely tell a player with high positioning stat from one with low positioning, Fox in the Box card etc.), I just couldn't bring myself to play more than a few games of any PS2 era games because players just don't make runs into space. However I don't want the game to make positioning too perfect either, in FIFA it feels like everyone can make runs like Vardy does irl regardless of the positioning stat.

Well, i do see those runs in space in PES 4/5/6, less so in PES 3. I do use PSD stats though, because default konami stats are sometimes really poor.

Loved them days. Every screenshot and preview from the games magazines meant so much back in the day. Every release day was better than Christmas, especially if you were lucky to get the game a few days in advance.

Glad to have rediscovered the golden generation of PES's and now PES 3 which is challenging in comparison to PES 5/6.
Exactly. You'd pour over them and fantasise about how it was gonna look in motion, I'd get excited if i spotted a new player face or match ball. When i first saw the silver Roterio ball from Euro 2004 in the first screen shots of PES 4, i thought hell froze over. The idea of PES, "The fake game" having contemporary licensed assets made me hard.

And i recently installed PES 3 on my computer, It's a totally different challenge and feels like a fresh game despite being older then my go too's, PES 5/6/WE9LE.

I just couldn't bring myself to play more than a few games of any PS2 era games because players just don't make runs into space. However I don't want the game to make positioning too perfect either, in FIFA it feels like everyone can make runs like Vardy does irl regardless of the positioning stat.
I can't answer which one had the best positioning but it definately aint PES 2019.

I've played a lot of PES 6 over the last month due to my World Cup series and i can tell you, i never once felt frustrated or thought to myself, "yeah, that was retarded" when it came to positioning or players not making a run that i anticipated. Shows how well engineered these games were for being 13 years old. Runs were very reliable even on the borked higher difficulties. However i played a bit of '19 this week and it's the first thing i notice when attacking and trying to hold the ball up and anticipate that killer run from my striker only for him to shit himself and stand still or run towards me.

Don't even get me started on the magic throughballs & the Moses and the red sea defending on that game either.

Back
Top Bottom