The Official "Objectives In Life" Thread

FreMM

♥♦♣♠PeS DiSpEnSeR ♥♦♣♠
6 October 2005
Belgium
Juventus F.C.
Thought I'd create this thread to see want you guys are doing right now and what you wanna achieve in life. Simple as that.

I'm in my senior year of translation and interpreting and currently I'm doing a traineeship in a translation bureau and I've already signed a contract with a major company which I will be joining in November. I just want to be happy and content personally and make enough money so that I can enjoy the finer things in life.
Oh yeah, and world domination too:TWIST:

So please, share!

Re: The official " objectives in life" thread

Getting a good job, getting a nice house so that myself and the missus have an easier life. That'll do me.

I used to have a lot of dreams but after being priveliged enough to see "inside" one of them, I realised how easy it is to want something you have absolutely no idea about. Now all I want is a decent-paying job and a house. Anything else is secondary or out of my control anyway (such as Tranmere getting into the Premier League before I die)...

What's stoppin you Chris? Not meant sarcastically, just wondered what you are currently doing.

Currently looking for work! I've said it all before. Did three years at college, didn't have the money to go to university, started looking for work convinced that my new qualifications would make it easy. Four years on and I've had four three-month jobs that have been really hard to keep getting up for (one of which I thought was a step to a dream job [and was such hard work], one of which I thought WAS my dream job albeit at a very low level, but as I said before you don't realise how easy it is to want something you have little idea about).

Get yourself to uni mate. As I gather from your posts and our chats on MSN, you strike me as a very, very intellectual person. It's just a shame that in today's society, you have to have a degree to prove it. I know it's hard to decide what to do if you don't have the slightest idea, but choose something fairly general which intersts you and you'll be fine mate.
I mean, I've studied translation and interpreting and I'm gonna be a Sales Manager for a clothing company...You can't go wrong with a decent degree.

My objectives in life:

1 to see that my kids become happy
2 assuring the bond i have with my wife
3 enjoying my work and try to do something that can make (a tiny litle bit of) a difference
4 stay healthy
5 prepare wonderful and inventive meals
6 read good books and listen to good music
7 now and then drink a good single malt whisky
8 winning the CL in Football Manager (that may be the most utopian)
9 Die in peace

That are great objectives Gerd!!!

I would like to have enough money to have a place to live in both London and Israel (Where the Wifes from)

Ideally Mortgage free :))

Then I want a couple of children and a Part time Job that I enjoy doing. So I have lots of time to be with my kids.

Also have a couple of holidays abroad every year.

That would be SUPER DUPER!!!

The kids and the holidays are very possible bu the flats and the part time job that I love - I am not so sure :((

I have the house, car and decent job but what I really want more than anything is kids and watching them grow up. Apparantly it's the most rewarding thing in life accoring to many of my friends.

Good thread FreMM. :)

1. Inner happiness achieved (thanks everton)
2. build on the trust and love with my beautiful moneeza.
3. Secure and build on my home for my family.
4. ensure a happy and supportive home for my three little boys.
5. Enjoy life , remain happy and confident .

I have the house, car and decent job but what I really want more than anything is kids and watching them grow up. Apparantly it's the most rewarding thing in life accoring to many of my friends.

Good thread FreMM. :)

there is nothing more important mr m, having my 3 little evertonians(hey its there choice)around me is a blessing.

family is the be all and end all, without it there is nothing...but an empty void. imo.

there is nothing more important mr m, having my 3 little evertonians(hey its there choice)around me is a blessing.

family is the be all and end all, without it there is nothing...but an empty void. imo.

Lovely post mate. :)

Totally agree, I want to protect my little boy from the evils of this world and ensure he grows up a confident, self-assured and courteous young adult. Its very much work in progress as he is only 1 year old! ;)

Can't imagine life without him now tbh.

Get yourself to uni mate.

That's true...i had no money to go to uni...what i did was get all sorts of (sometimes literally) shitty jobs...I worked at Mc Donalds, worked in the university's restaurant where i put all the uneaten food rests in the garbage, i worked with very heavily handicapped childeren (every time they went to the toilet i had to clean the shit...literally),and every now and then i had a pleasant job. I remember being some sort of janitor in a girl student dormitory...boyfriends weren't allowed entry after 10PM unless you befriended the janitor (that was in the dark 80's)..i never had more women friends than in that period.But basically most of those jobs were underpaid, dirty and unpleasant jobs...but i was a man on a mission...never did it for the money...i don't care about money...but now i have an interesting job...

Uni is great an all but depends what you want out of life. I didn't go and have done ok so far, I have something that graduates don't have.....experience. Thats is worth much more in the job market IMO.

I am not money motivated though and I guess if you are then UNI is a good start.

You don't have to go to Uni for money...that's not the right motivation IMHO...it's about having an interesting job.

Certain people will do better with an university degree, others (like you) don't need one and then there are people who lack something to succeed whether they have a degree or not ( i speak in general).

Uni is great an all but depends what you want out of life. I didn't go and have done ok so far, I have something that graduates don't have.....experience. Thats is worth much more in the job market IMO.
I find myself in a vicious circle though. You can't get a job without the experience, but you can't get the experience without a job. Trying to get a "foot in the door" (I've heard that phrase so many times that I can speak it in several languages now) is incredibly hard. I've took on several temporary contracts trying to make an impression and it hasn't worked.

On one occasion there was a guy who was one level above me and wanted me to stay on, but the guy one level above him (who does all of the hiring and firing) had got pally with someone who gave him lifts to a few football matches. Couldn't compete with that...

Originally I was only looking for computing jobs, which is my area of expertise and qualification. Fortunately enough I have a fantastic family who support me and so I didn't have to look at shelf-stacking and things like that, but as time has gone on I'm now in the situation where I will apply for anything and everything. I have several computing qualifications from college that were supposed to be pretty big things at the time, and now I don't think they're recognised by many employers...

Last edited:
It is tricky Chris and I can imagine your difficulties. At the risk of sounding repetetive; isn't uni the right way for you? It's easier to get a foot in the door with a degree.

I am not money motivated though and I guess if you are then UNI is a good start.
i agree with your post, but going to uni also gives you experinces that people who dont go, dont have... but also alot of companies like grads because they dont have any experince.. then they can mold them into the type of worker they need them to be... if you can find a job in your field with out a uni degree, the more power to you, but i would imagine its alot harder to get that foot in the door without that uni degree

University is NOT vital to succeeding in life. Like Clockender said, it depends on your goals & what you what out of life.

My friend left Uni 7 years ago with a degree in pyschology - what does she do now? Works full time for Admiral Insurance!

Yeah, spot on Clockender and Plan M. If you need to go to Uni to do the job you want to do, like my missus wants to be a teacher, so you need a teaching degree so have to go to Uni. But I knew when I was in 6th form that I didn't want any more education and that Uni wasn't for me.

And I have been really lucky in landing a great job with loads of prospects for the future and that I can make a career out of, and the company are willing to pay for me to gain extra qualifications. I honestly could see me staying in this job for the rest of my life. It's all about enjoyment and job satisfaction imo.

Lucky bum. :(

I've thought of another goal actually, but nothing that's spectacularly important. I would like to see more live music; I've only been to three gigs and all of them have been incredible.

Lucky bum. :(

I've thought of another goal actually, but nothing that's spectacularly important. I would like to see more live music; I've only been to three gigs and all of them have been incredible.

I used to go to quite a few - but I don't anymore. So I might do that aswell.

I go to quite a few band nights with unsigned acts - they can be really good sometimes. As my friend works for a music label.

But I need to see more.

Oh I saw Prince recently that was a good laugh.

My favourites in the past were Reef and Ocean Colour scene. Also The Foofighters I saw at a V festival and also The Red Hot Chilli Peppers were great.

Good thread,

well my goal years ago was to become an Architect. And after 9 years of education (college 4y, polytechnic 2,5y and Masters 2,5y) I passed my Master's last month. There was very little other options to get the degree within that time frame. The other option was to do a work/school Masters degree after the bacholar's but that takes a minimum of 4 years. With most of the people doing it not even managing to finish it due to work/life taking first place and the education being a hinderence. So I chose to do a fulltime degree and finished it without any delays in 2,5 years. A mate of mine decided to do the other and has stopped after 2 years. Another for the long list.......

So the last month Ive been looking for work and have come across the same issues as Jack, although to a lesser extent. Anyway, managed to find what looks to be a great job and start on monday.

The problem with most jobs for my experience, or lack of, is that you end up being first and formost a draftsman doing technical drawings and having design assignments from time to time. Now I didn't want to do that, I worked as a drafstman for 5 months between graduating from the polytechnic (bacholars) and starting the Msc. And it got boring really quickly.

I was looking for a position that had designing as its main aspect with the possibility to grow quickly into an "architect". Managed to find such a position and will start as an assitant designer, the normal starting position, but will only be doing designing and no technical work. And the company is looking for people to become an "architect" within the firm. So if it goes well I can quickly grow from a assistant designer to an Architect. Which was my original goal.

So far so good on the goals.

I also had another which was to go abroad, Canada / Asia / States, but seeing as the GF won't be going (too close to family and stuff) I'll be looking to make a nice future here. If everything goes well we'll probably be buying a house next year, first going to rent, and then after a few more years start a family. The GF did nearly the same education as me and graduated last month aswell. She didn't have the goal like me to become an architect but after finishing the polytechnic realised that the jobs at that level wouldn't be what she would want. Fortunately she has also found a really good job, project manager / adviser for complex buildings in a building management firm. The most interesting part of the job is the adviser part, she will be checking the work from the different parties and will have the power to give advice to make it better. Had she stopped at the polytechnic and done a similar job she would have only been doing the "regular" management side which is mostly coordinating without any advisery position.

So for us Uni was needed to just have the minimum level for the work we wanted to do.

Last edited:
Yeah, spot on Clockender and Plan M. If you need to go to Uni to do the job you want to do, like my missus wants to be a teacher, so you need a teaching degree so have to go to Uni. But I knew when I was in 6th form that I didn't want any more education and that Uni wasn't for me.

And I have been really lucky in landing a great job with loads of prospects for the future and that I can make a career out of, and the company are willing to pay for me to gain extra qualifications. I honestly could see me staying in this job for the rest of my life. It's all about enjoyment and job satisfaction imo.

i think alot of you guys are missing the point. The route you have chosen is the harder of the two and kudos to you guys for making it.. but not everyone with a degree has the success that you have had, and obtaining the job you want or a job that pays well and gives satisfaction is easier to obtain with that degree, thats all im saying. Im not saying one is better then the other but I think overall a degree no matter in relgion, politics, art, or business gives you an advantage in finding that job that you want. A degree is nothing but a peice of paper in the end, but its a pretty valuable one. I think you guys who did not go to uni should post some of the things you have done to get to where you are now, proably alot more hard work and dedication then myself, who kind of landed where i am because of my degree. And again dont get me wrong, im not degrading what you have done, quite the opposite what you have done to me is harder and more admirable cause i have fortunate to have uni paid for and somewhat born with a silver spoon in my mouth in that respect. I have much respect for you guys.

tiktiktik, congratulations with your job and i wish much success...
For my job i have to work a lot with architects, it's a beautiful job...

Tnx Gerd, What kind of work do you do?

Architecture is a great job, just a shame the pay is relatively low compared to other "uni" jobs/degree's. But then, for me, I get to do what I really really like which is designing so can't complain in that respect. Especially not with the job I'll be doing.

Back
Top Bottom