The Official "Objectives In Life" Thread

I'm 25 and in a complete haze, I drink disgraceful amounts of alcohol Shane McGowan style everyday and piss the money I earn up against a wall most nights, I have nothing to add or subtract to society as I choose to remain independant to a high extreme, as in I'll stay indoors and avoid human contact, unless my girl comes over, and she's low profile because of my choosing. I write quite a lot and I believe after i die I'll become immensely famous when my talent finally comes out. I'll be like Elvis but without the lots of success before the death. My goals in life are to continue being this way, maybe having a kid and teaching him/her how to live life the way I have lived it.

Im in my 2nd year of my bachelors. I hope to graduate with a first, minimum 2:1. I then will try my best to go to Canada or the US (I have canadian citizenship and relatives in the US) for a masters in business - most likely human relations or marketing. Before I do my masters, I'm hoping to have a year or 2 of work in order get me some experience. I've had 3 internships in the last 3 years in the summer.

Re: The official " objectives in life" thread

My objectives in life:

1 to see that my kids become happy
2 assuring the bond i have with my wife
3 enjoying my work and try to do something that can make (a tiny litle bit of) a difference
4 stay healthy
5 prepare wonderful and inventive meals
6 read good books and listen to good music
7 now and then drink a good single malt whisky
8 winning the CL in Football Manager (that may be the most utopian)
9 Die in peace

Hear hear - nice one gerd :)

tiktiktik,
iwork in what we call social housing, i think it is called community housing in England.
In Belgium social housing is becoming a sort of lab for new forms of architecture...until the eighties we had Coronation Street-styled houses. Now it's all about modern architecture.

My job is double:

1. if in certain neigbourhoods there are social problems, i go to the neigbourhood observe for a while and afterwards try to find solutions to improve the quality of living with local authorities and the people who live in the neighbourhoods. After speaking with all parties, i make up a contract between them. It's a sort of declaration of intention to improve things. Because i see what's wrong in neighbourhoods, architects use my imput to make models of "better" neighbourhoods in the future.

2. I "design" (not drawing) wellfare solutions to have a better imageof social housing. It's very complicated but basically what i do is bring houses for people who need permanent medical care in "normal" neighbourhoods. The permanernt medical post is open for all the people in the neighbourhood. We use modern technology to "monitor" people who are ill...to give you an example. Somebodu who had a heart attack and who lives in that kind of neighbourhood can come back home after one or two days, because the necessary medical equipment and personnel is in his neigbourhood.

Big architectural firms are very interessed in that last concept...

Dermot, i love the music of Shane Mc Gowan, but i think it's sad that you see him as a role model...unless this is your way of trying to be funny.

You seem a nice enough bloke, but usually when you are trying to be funny, you don't really succeed...

I hope i didn't offend you...

That's a coincidence, my graduation lab was "Living Environments, Dwelling on Dense City". The goal was to design a city neighborhood with the context of a growing city and the densification of it.

My research within this lab was how to develope social interaction across the different levels of public to private. A kind of guide for the different design tools to use to make a neighborhood / apartmentbuilding create it's own "social community" to combat the isolation of city living, think Simmel's Metropolis and Mental Life. A big part of the problem is the configuration of current apartmentbuildings. 80-ties neighborhoods have a lot of the same issue's but configured differently which enhances the social problems of these "communities".

So your observations could have been part of my research ;)

Last edited:
Well i'm not sure if my observations would have helped.
My work with architects is controversial (like almost everyting i do...).
There is a growing tendency that "admits" that people that aren't architects can help architects (look at their designs from an outsider's angle). That's one of the things i'm doing. Some architects don't like it when i look at their plans or designs and criticize them...

The other thing i do with architects is even more controversial, i literally tell them what kind of neigborhoods we have in mind and they have to draw them. Then i correct them...There are lots of architects who don't like to be "criticized - corrected" by someone who isn't able to draw a straight line (as a manner of speaking). It gets worse when i show their designs to the people who will eventually live in the neighborhoods...
Generally speaking young architects are open to criticism from outsiders, settled one aren't...it helps that i represent 250.000 prospective people who will live in their neigborhoods and that we have a budget of a couple of billion euro's for a working year (i find it difficult to discuss this in English).

You seem a nice enough bloke, but usually when you are trying to be funny, you don't really succeed...

I've always thought exactly this - Dermot seems a nice guy but he's ALWAYS trying to be funny. Maybe on this istance he was being serious Gerd, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. No offence intended here either Dermot, I like your input on these forums, it keeps the place "fresh". :)

I've always thought exactly this - Dermot seems a nice guy but he's ALWAYS trying to be funny. Maybe on this istance he was being serious Gerd, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. No offence intended here either Dermot, I like your input on these forums, it keeps the place "fresh". :)

I totally agree...
No offense meant from my side either...

Nice thread :)

Just my short term objectives

1. Try to do well in my ongoing national exams, and secure good marks

2. Work on my music after the exams, and try to get my band a name for itself in the music scene here.

3. Choose a stream that I am interested in, and hopefully work towards getting into uni.

4. Stay away from drugs etc

5. Try to improve myself as a person.

Dermot, i love the music of Shane Mc Gowan, but i think it's sad that you see him as a role model...unless this is your way of trying to be funny.

I hope i didn't offend you...

heh gerd, I don't see Shane McG as a role model and I didn't state that in my post. I believe he is a genius however, A Rainy Night in Soho is one of the most beautiful songs EVER penned in my opinion. And you don't offend me, maybe I just have a certain style of humour and you don't feel comfortable with it, that's fine, it's like the time I broke my leg in Vienna and I refused to wear a cast or use crutches because I didn't like the feel of them either, it took forever to heal and I haven't visited vienna since. Peace and love.

i'll be back on 360 soon gomito, I just got the 3 flashing lights problem and my 360 is back with Microsoft

Plan M - I appreciate your comments cabrone, but I really honestly don't try to be funny, I just say whatever comes out. It's like Chris Wright whenever he had his first illegitimate child (who incidentally is also bald), he never meant for it to happen it just happened.

I have something that graduates don't have.....experience. Thats is worth much more in the job market IMO.
Good point, that's what I think about the job market, too.

I must say I've been both lucky and unlucky in my life.
I've got a job that I adore, I work as a PC techie for a very small company in a town not far from Milan: this work allows me to travel a little and to build up some experience in not very long time. If everything goes right I'll be graduated within the end of the year (not counting on it that much to be honest, most probably I'll have to wait 2009 to graduate) and this could be a good boost to my work. I've got some friends I love and I'm in good health, I have my own car and I have put aside a small amount of money "just in case".
On the other hand the last girlfriend I had was a disaster, we never cared enough each other so it ended ub being a pain rather than something to trust in. It lasted quite long but it wasn't the way it was meant to be. I just feel over-protected by my family sometimes and that prevents me to fully express myself, and this is just no good :D

So, my main goals are:
- Graduate as soon as possible
- Keep healthy
- Put a remedy to some errors I made in the past, or at least have a chance to explain why I did them
- Get some time for myself (for example to listen to some music or to read or just to relax a little bit, with both uni and work it's kind of an utopia)
- Go on with the current work and become a network administrator (I know it may take a little long but I feel I work with the right people: supporting me when I need it and pushing me when they know I can do something by myself)
- Find a girlfriend that actually cares, and who I care about at least as much. I don't want another girlfriend "just for fun", time to get more serious
- This will lead to buy a house someday I hope, and watch children grow happy (you're right, family will be the most regarding thing in all life)

Then I think I can die in peace, possibly when I'm asleep

To be honest there are some other goals that would make my life "perfect", but they're not essential:
- Play at least once in San Siro (hard to make true)
- Ride (or drive) at least once in santa Monica (I've been racing there but only karts unfortunately, time to get a motorbike or a sports car and access the "main" course)
- See Ligabue live once again
- See Inter relegated the same year that Milan wins the Serie A
- Win a 5-a-side football tournament again (never won one since I got back from the hand injury)

I've got an interview for Uni tomorrow.

Though I'm currently nowhere near getting the UCAS points I need to get on the courses I've applied for.

I really should spend less time randomly browsing the internet/playing COD4 and more time doing work...

Back
Top Bottom