The General PC Questions Thread

Re: BABS! Other PC experts too... HELP!!!

I'm no visual basic programmer, but in plain basic you could do it with a line similar to.

Code:
PRINT "Enter your name: "; INPUT name$

old Basic allows you to assing variables on the fly, like above where I've just made a variable up called name$ to store the input. You'd then output it with PRINT name$ or do whatever to it.

In C++ you'd normally declare the variables at the start of the function (program)
Code:
[b]string[/b] myName;
[b]int[/b] myAge;
That declares two variables, the first a string (alphanumeric characters), the second an integer (any whole number). C++ gets a bit more complicated but an example of how you'd use them is.
Code:
[b]cout[/b]<<"What is your name? :";
[b]cin[/b]>>myName;
[b]cout[/b]<<"So your name is " << myname <<"/n";
the "/n" just sticks a carriage return in.

If you want to do some basic (as in entry level) programming, you could do worse than to get hold of Bloodshed Dev-C++ (free compiler/debugger/editor) and head over to http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html for some excellent tutorials. The link to Dev-C++ is actually at the top of that tutorial page.

Making your own little programs and seeing them run is immensly satisfying.

Jack Bauer said:
Reported them to the OFT now, it's got beyond a joke. The internet has been at full speed today - for two minutes. Then it's been off for a few hours, and now it's back on, with a download speed of 1kb/s. If anyone reading this is considering joining E7even, don't.

Anyway, next question (I should rename this thread to "Chris's Computing Questions")... Does anybody know any Visual Basic bits and bobs?

For a little personal project to save me from going mad, I've started writing a little program similar to "Deal Or No Deal". Well, I say "started writing"... I've got a text-file with everything I need the program to do, but no clue how to convert it from English into VB.

Simple one first - what's the code for taking a value and storing it (i.e. if there's a text-box where someone enters their name, how do you take that information and store it)?

When the program is finished i want a go :)

I like Deal or No Deal

C'mon chris, it's been days without a problem, you're slacking ;)

Haha, just started a new job so I've not got as much time to break things as I used to! Just started playing Guitar Hero again. Played it once, then I've played it every day ever since...! God, I love "Eureka! I've Found Love", I know the words off by heart.

Anyway, back to VB! I've bought myself a book to try and explain things, but it seems to go over the basics and totally miss out the really crucial bits. I've made a plan of what I need the code to do:

Chris's action plan said:
Request a player name, store the name.

22 boxes are drawn on the screen - each with text-boxes underneath. Take 22 pre-determined values, place them into each text-box, randomise their order, hide the contents of the text-boxes. One box is chosen at random and placed into the middle of the screen (along with the text box).

2 lines of 22 smaller boxes are then drawn either side of the middle box, with each value (in numerical order) in them.

Pressing any box, EXCLUDING the middle box and the smaller boxes, reveals the text in the appropriate text-box. The value that was in the text-box is then removed from the set of smaller boxes. After three boxes have been pressed, determine a number to display based on "banker formulas" below. Along with displayed number, display two boxes, "Deal" or "No Deal". Selecting "Deal" adds the number to a high-score board (along with the player name), and lets you continue the game. Selecting "No Deal" closes the box and continues the game.

When just two boxes are left, present a box asking whether to trade boxes or not. If "yes" is selected, the values in the two remaining text-boxes swap places. Otherwise, they stay the same. Then display a message box that displays "You have won" followed by the number hidden in the middle text-box, with an "OK" button. Once pressed, the player name and score are added to the high-scores list.

The file menu should have a "restart game" option, and an "exit game" option.
Now give me a few years (after the official version has been produced and done to death complete with Noel Edmonds' voiceover) and I'll have something...

Cheers for all those links Babs, I'll be sure to read up on it all shortly (last day off today, and I work four days on, four days off, so this time in five days I'll be getting my head down and doing some serious grafting on it ;)).

Edit: I do actually have a leeeeeeetle problem for you Babs, if you're REALLY bored...! ;) I can download files via web-browsing with no problems at all, e.g. RapidShare links - hundreds of kb/s, no problemo. But with Azereus, my downloads are all going at 1kb/s (although uploading is absolutely fine). UPnP is enabled, in the router settings and in the Azereus settings, and port 55555 is specified to be allowed (both ways) in the router settings. Azereus claims it can see port 55555 no problem when I ask it to check, but the speeds are disgusting. Any hints?

Last edited:

Sounds like traffic shaping, lots of ISPs are doing it now on p2p traffic. Pipex (my isp) for example throttle all p2p traffic to 20KB/s. There's a way around it though ;)

I'm sure you can do it in Azureus, although I don't know how, but in utorrent also there's an option to encrypt traffic in both directions. If you do this it bypasses the throttling and gets you back up to full speed.

Most of what you want to do sounds pretty simple in theory, but it's now that you have the hardest (and in my mind most fun) bit to do, planning it all out. Things like your box contents and high scores are best held in array tables (good one to read up on). I did actually spend 15 minutes there trying to draw up simple code to show it but my brain isn't working and I confused myself, but for highscores it's basically an array table holding all the high scores, then a for/next loop that checks the player's score against each one in turn, checking to see if it's higher than the current one. If it is it branches to a subroutine/function that replaces each score in the table with the one above it, thus shunting all the scores down one. Then it just writes the player's score into that space.

Keep playing with it and reading up and you'll crack it in no time.

You little BEAUTY, on both counts! :D Cheers, that's a massive help. I'll get coding now (if you can call reading for a few hours and then whining because it's like learning a foreign language "coding")... ;)

babs said:
Sounds like traffic shaping, lots of ISPs are doing it now on p2p traffic. Pipex (my isp) for example throttle all p2p traffic to 20KB/s. There's a way around it though ;)

I'm sure you can do it in Azureus, although I don't know how, but in utorrent also there's an option to encrypt traffic in both directions. If you do this it bypasses the throttling and gets you back up to full speed.

They did that to me on EFH as well

Now i have a cap of 70 gig though so it aint so bad

Chris hurry up with your Deal or No Deal game :)

BTW where are you working? was it the job that u asked for help on the application form with?

I am working, not the job I asked for help with though. That was a sports journalist rule, but I got offered a games-testing role instead. Does your head in, but four days on four days off is absolutely bloody brilliant. :)

By the way... To the greatest genius of our time...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABS! Have a good'un. :D

babs said:

Hi Babs. I am also with Pipex and only get around 20 KB/s. So i took your advice on getting around this problem by downloading utorrent. But could you help me on how to set up the option to encrypt the traffic please.

Thanks in advance mate. :)

I did computer science in college. Interesting but fooking hard in certain areas. Algorithms comes to mind. :lol:

Options > Preferences > Network > Protocol Encryption = Forced. Choose to allow legacy connections too.

Thanks for the b'day shout too :)

New question!

To repeat myself about BitTorrent, I've set up a port of 55555 for it. Today though, I've noticed the following being reported in PeerGuardian (with very little other programs running, none of which use the internet, certainly not the ports mentioned - "Everyones Internet" has been doing this for a few days now, possibly longer)...

16:54:11 Everyones Internet, Inc fakes - accessing port 2830 - coming from 67.15.221.160 port 42871

16:54:14 Everyones Internet, Inc fakes - accessing port 2830 - coming from 67.15.221.160 port 42871

16:54:20 Everyones Internet, Inc fakes - accessing port 2830 - coming from 67.15.221.160 port 42871
16:57:10 INTERBUSINESS - accessing port 2961 - coming from 213.82.218.18 port 6881

16:57:13 INTERBUSINESS - accessing port 2961 - coming from 213.82.218.18 port 6881

16:57:19 INTERBUSINESS - accessing port 2961 - coming from 213.82.218.18 port 6881
17:01:01 NETSENTRY ED2K servers - accessing port 3028 - coming from 66.172.60.130 port 2710

17:01:04 NETSENTRY ED2K servers - accessing port 3028 - coming from 66.172.60.130 port 2710

17:01:54 NETSENTRY ED2K servers - accessing port 3031 - coming from 66.172.60.130 port 2710

17:01:59 NETSENTRY ED2K servers - accessing port 3031 - coming from 66.172.60.130 port 2710

17:02:03 NETSENTRY ED2K servers - accessing port 3033 - coming from 66.172.60.130 port 2710

17:02:11 NETSENTRY ED2K servers - accessing port 3033 - coming from 66.172.60.130 port 2710
It keeps going, with the port number that they're accessing going up by a few digits each time... I'm a bit worried. Should I be (considering that even with Azereus off it still happens)?

Last edited:

got my own question

is there any way to put a sleep timer on my laptop. a sleep timer that appears on most TV's because there are times when i fall asleep and forget to turn off my laptop

Just go to your power options in control panel, and set a time for hibernate. It'll basically power your laptop down but remember how everything was, so when you power back up it'll be like it was never turned off.

fedagent said:
got my own question

is there any way to put a sleep timer on my laptop. a sleep timer that appears on most TV's because there are times when i fall asleep and forget to turn off my laptop
So you dont hear your laptops fan still running? on mine I couldnt fail to hear it! it whizzes up and down like a yo-yo at times.

Hibernation is a great way of reducing boot up times to like 5 seconds :) thats what I do to my big PC everytime im finished with it.

DJ

my laptop is quiet as a mouse. i'm a very light sleeper so the slightest thing will wake me. my laptop stays silent all the time. a Dell btw

Oh right a Dell laptop that works and is decent... a rare find :)

DJ

PRINT "Enter your name: "; INPUT name$

Thats C64 Basic language :) that brings back memories of my youth.....

DJ

By gum it's been a while. New question!

With my new ISP I need to make sure that my BitTorrent client (Azureus) isn't running between 6pm and 12am each day. Does anyone know of any options that can shut it down between those times, or a plugin, or even a seperate program that can step in at that time and terminate it?

Thank you kindly. :)

Use uTorrent. It has an option within preferences to enable a scheduler. It's dead simple to use, and it has protocol encryption so if your ISP throttles torrent traffic it slips through.

Your customer service is the best I've ever known, I will be recommending your service to all of my friends. Thank you Babs™.

Just make sure you limit the amount of connections you can have at any 1 time to a decent level, I had tonnes of connections enabled and my Cable Modem couldnt handle it and kept rebooting!!!

Just a warning.

DJ

NEXT!! (Probably a silly question though)

I've opened up all XBOX 360 ports as specified by Microsoft, but at least half of the Burnout Revenge and PGR3 sessions I try to join kick me out with a "cannot connect to all participants" error. Even trying to join Evo-Web's Monday Night Racing the other week was a problem for ten minutes (God knows how I got on, I think it was because someone who I couldn't connect to left the lobby).

Done the same with the Nintendo DS; all appropriate ports are forwarded to the IP addresses that I've assigned to each console, 192.168.0.4 for the XBOX 360, 192.168.0.21 for the Nintendo DS (after reading that if you set it ten numbers away from the last assigned IP it helps, and strangely enough it seems to have worked)...

There's another PC in the house that is also having trouble trying to connect to Links 2003 games (yes, people do still play Links 2003). Again, all appropriate ports are forwarded to it's IP assignment. I've even tried setting that PC as a DMZ for a few hours.

Is there anything else that I can do?

My router (cheap, unbranded, some years old now) sometimes has moments where it slows or locks. I fixed most of the problems with a firmware upgrade though, and now if I get problems I just unplug it for a minute then power it back up again.

See if there is a firmware flash for it.

Three months on and it's a new one for y'all...

My PC decided to go funny on me lately, so I've had to format. Now the last time I formatted, I just put the motherboard disc in to fill in the blanks in the missing drivers, and I was done (driver-wise). This time, however (I've updated the BIOS due to other problems, which I think is related), after the format I'm told that none of my ULi PCI to USB hubs are USB 2.0. Well, they are...

USB 2.0 is enabled in the BIOS, and I've tried using the default MS drivers and the ULi v2.2.0 driver set (which doesn't even see the USB stuff and recommends a LAN driver instead). I wasn't going to post about it, but I've just noticed that if I try to copy a 300mb file from USB drive to hard drive, it takes fifteen minutes, which is no good. I can't even listen to an MP3 or watch an MPEG off it, it jerks that badly.

Any suggestions? Is reverting to the old BIOS the only option (which I don't really want to do or I'll get my old issues back)?

(Oh, and the girlfriend's just threatened me, so I have to ask one more question; a week ago, she turned her PC off, a few days later she turned it back on and everything looks absolutely normal - apart from the fact that her USB ports will no longer recognise anything plugged into them. :| Her PC is clean as a whistle, no viruses spyware or otherwise according to Symantec anti-virus and Windows Defender, and the drivers haven't changed, so what on earth could have happened?)

Last edited:

I've reverted back to the old BIOS, I don't think there would have been a way around it...

New question, then. How come, now that I've formatted, it takes ten minutes for the computer to talk to the router and let me on the internet? :eh:

Has Babs donned his Santa suit and departed to deliver PC-shaped presents to all of the good little boys and girls already? Have I missed him? :(

I'm still suffering from the above ten-minutes-until-the-PC-finds-the-router issue but I've read it's because of a driver issue with my LAN port. A fix is in the works, apparently.

Brand spanking new question: Is it possible to set up a headphone-and-microphone headset on a PC, with TeamSpeak, the same way that communication works on an XBOX (with the sound of the game coming through the PC's speakers, and the sound of your clan coming through your headset ONLY)? What kit do you need?

This thread really has died a death!!

I still don't have an answer to the headset question above, but even so, I have a new question.

Say you live in a house with two floors and a loft. Say you have a wireless router in the loft, which the PC on the second floor can see (just about - with a variable signal of 40-60%), but a laptop used on the first floor can't see (well, it can, but the signal is 10% and a waste of space).

You can't plug two routers into one house, so what else can be done to boost the wireless signal on the first floor (and possibly the second)?

Normally when this kind of thing happens I'd do a format, but this is a problem with my girlfriend's PC and no way can I be arsed to sit there formatting for ten hours while I put on her dad's games, her games and her sisters games, smilies, music, media players, favourites, web-downloaded games and bucketfuls of spyware.

Her dad installed WinCleaner and then, because it installed something he "didn't like the look of", he ran System Restore. He hadn't heard of "Add\Remove Programs", but anyway - now certain games refuse to run. Battlefield 1942 runs fine, for example, but Battlefield 2 comes up with tons of seperate *.fx errors, e.g. "particle.fx (huge long error code) LOWPSMODEL", over and over. The Sims 2 also refuses to run (the game generates an "exception" log, i.e. a crash log, which says the crash occured with "kernel32.dll" - although the filesize and version number is identical to mine).

I've tried installing DirectX 9c again, installing the latest NVIDIA drivers again and reinstalling the games - no joy. I thought if I un-restored the restore point it would work - no joy. I've searched high and low for Battlefield 2 players who get a "LOWPSMODEL" error - no joy.

Please save me Superman. :(

YOU CAN USE SYSTUM RESTORE TO RESOTRE IT BACK TO BEFORE YOU TOOK IT BACK LOL

Back
Top Bottom