The General PC Questions Thread

After reading the rules I think my posts isnt against it. Im not posting info or links to be able to do that. Im merely asking you why you would want to go out and buy it instead of downloading it. Possible anwser are to be sure of good support when things go wrong, to always be able to get the updates, I dont know where to download it, I dont want to be acting illegaly, etc, etc. Thats isnt against rules is it? ;) Anyway, I wont go on about it because it could go the wrong way......

it's a dell oem version of windows vista home premium. i'm pretty sure you can install it onto any machine. of course, i'll send you the cd-key from the bottom of my machine along with the disc, but i'm sure it doesn't ask you for a serial...

Last edited:
if you want the 64-bit version, i can also send you a dell oem version of that too.

but this one comes on a grey disc and definitely doesn't need a serial. it also gets recognised as a legit version on windows update.

this one is free of charge - just send your address and i'll post it to ya, (along with vista service pack 1)...

nope - i'm running a vista ultimate oem 32-bit version on my laptop and a 64-bit version on my main pc and both download from windows update fine. passes all the validation checks and it never asks for a serial, either during installation or afterwards...

Hey guys,

My wheel scroll doesn't work on my mouse that I connect to my laptop :SS. I had a Dell PS2 mouse and that one didn't work, now I have a TVR Car mouse that is USB and the scroll still isn't working. It works as a button when you click the wheel in (i.e. opening link in new tab in FireFox), but when I just scroll the mouse to move screen up and down, nothing happens? I guess it's a setting on my PC somewhere? Or even that I need a new mouse driver, but I have just downloaded one and that didn't work...

obviously I have looked there mate ;)) It is set to scroll 3 lines at a time which is right, so I really dont know... :-ll

have you tried it with any other application, word, internet explorer etc?

i would look for any software related to any mouse you have installed which could be interfering with the autoscrolling capabilities of the programs and those of Windows

if you find any remove them

also have you used TWEAKUI at any point on that pc?

if you have then there is a mouse field, expand its view. Click on WHEEL check the checkbox marked USE MOUSE WHEEL FOR SCROLLING, APPLY and then OK

Hey guys,

My wheel scroll doesn't work on my mouse that I connect to my laptop :SS. I had a Dell PS2 mouse and that one didn't work, now I have a TVR Car mouse that is USB and the scroll still isn't working. It works as a button when you click the wheel in (i.e. opening link in new tab in FireFox), but when I just scroll the mouse to move screen up and down, nothing happens? I guess it's a setting on my PC somewhere? Or even that I need a new mouse driver, but I have just downloaded one and that didn't work...

Last edited:
It may be firefox thats doing it

type about:config in the address bar

goto the 3 mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey parts and try changing em

putting the last one to true or false may help

here's a question i have fried my video card and several other components and now im getting alot of BSOD's i have replaced the video card but im certain that the mobo have some problems after that shock probably in memory part, is it time to get a new mobo???

You've just answered your own question :eh: If you're certain the motherboard has problems then of course it is time to replace it, otherwise your computer is never going to work is it??

yeah jack, actually computer works fine so far and its been couple of weeks but the bsod's eventually trying to signal something in mobo isn't working the components like it should, cheers :)

Right im upgrading my PC

I need a new cheap Mobo and a processor

and probebly a graphics card somewhere down the line

Now does anyone have any recommendations and which Mobo and Processor to get?

I dont play games on it that often, but i would like to have a PC that can run them if i do

Thanks

Oh yeah i should add that i currently have an ATX mobo with 2 DVD drives and 2 Hard drives so need 2 ATA/IDE ports, which probably means i need another ATX not a MicroATX mobo (unless i can get 2 ATA/IDE's on a micro board)

Although I know quite a bit about computers, and now work with them, (all the touch screen tills run Windows CE or XP), but I've never ever been into upgrades and new parts etc.

coopz go for an intel cpu and matching 775 socket motherboard

either a dual core or quad core intel depending on budget, get a motherboard which has onboard graphics but also has a pcie slot for future upgrades if need be

the motherboard will come with sata controllers, make sure the motherboard you buy still has some ide connections aswell so you can run your old hardrives, or use them as external hardrives in a caddy etc

get some ddr2 800mhz ram 2 gig of it

no point upgrading your system, if only getting a cpu and motherboard, you need decent ram aswell, if you are using the old ddr, then you might aswell spend another £50 and get ddr2 so you don't have a bottleneck in the system

Last edited:
here's a question i have fried my video card and several other components and now im getting alot of BSOD's i have replaced the video card but im certain that the mobo have some problems after that shock probably in memory part, is it time to get a new mobo???

check out your memory dumps and see what is triggering it

first make sure they are enabled by

right clicking my computer, properties , advanced , startup and recovery

at the bottom

"write debugging info"

set it to small memory dump (64k)

now install debugging tools for windows http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

open the program browse to your memory dump files which should be located at C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

then it should debug it for you and should give you easier to understand info regarding the problem

for example on boot up i sometimes got BSOD, so i did the above process, each time finding which file triggered it and matched the files to the dodgey programs, sorted it that way

ofcourse yours could be different, but it is worth a try

Back
Top Bottom