The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

After the Three website melted down, I secured one from the Three store in Leicester. This way, I get to walk past the line of people queing at the Apple store, pick up my iPhone 5 pretty sharpish then walk back past them feeling smug, knowing that was me two years ago :P

I remember when they delivered my iPad 3 the courier didn't bloody arrive until 4pm. Hope it's not the same people as I need to go to Vodafone on Friday too to get a nano sim!

haha, i am currently on vacation and had a horrible trip actually getting to the point where i could order it at 9 am yesterday. glad i made the cut of the first delivery. no arrangements made yet for my nano.sim or anything, i'll be back home tomorrow and hopefully get it all sorted monday.

glad though that my provider offers the nano for free, while others (o2) are actually charging people for switching the sim.

Just put an SSD in my MacBook Pro and it now boots from powered off to useable in 18 seconds! And I can't believe how fast apps open. Everybody needs an SSD!

I plan to put one in my iMac once the warranty runs out. Was it hard to do? I've replaced the HD in my old MacBook Pro before and while it was a relatively easy process, I can't say I enjoyed doing it. Constantly in fear of screwing something up!

I can imagine fitting an SSD is harder than that too.

Well easy to fit! Just like fitting a new hard drive!

Once I've installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp later I am going to replace the SuperDrive with my old HDD.

Oh yeah, and back on iPhone 5 I rang Vodafone earlier today and have ordered a nano sim which will arrive in 3 working days :)).

will do the same thing with t-mobile tomorrow :)

excited to see when we'll get our shipping confirmation from apple.

haven't been this excited for a new phone since i first got my hands on the 3gs 3 years ago :)

I'am thinking about getting an iPad

Just a few questions

Is there a new one due out? Don't really wanting to be buying one and then a new coming out shortly after

Is there an app at all that would act like media server so that I could access all my movies/music saved on my computer over wi-fi?

Anyone know where the cheapest but reliable place to buy?

Thanks in advance

There is a new iPad due out, but it will be an iPad Mini and have a lower price point. If you're looking to get a standard, 9.7" iPad I can't see them releasing a new one till March (their yearly cycle so far).

Question two is a little more complicated cause it depends on a few things - how is all your content stored, just as files in folders or in something like iTunes? And what file format are your movies?

AirVideo will allow you to play any video you have on your computer whereas something like Plex will act as a 'media server' but I think may have issues with certain file formats.

The price of iPads generally stay constant across all retailers as that is the price Apple sets. You may get one cheaper using discount codes or something similar but I would always say get it direct from Apple or Amazon (great return policy).

You should also consider getting a refurb model - much cheaper and in reality, a refurb model from Apple is just as good and feels just as new as an actual new iPad.

Question two is a little more complicated cause it depends on a few things - how is all your content stored, just as files in folders or in something like iTunes? And what file format are your movies?

AirVideo will allow you to play any video you have on your computer whereas something like Plex will act as a 'media server' but I think may have issues with certain file formats.

You should also consider getting a refurb model - much cheaper and in reality, a refurb model from Apple is just as good and feels just as new as an actual new iPad.

Thanks for that info

I have all my media saved to a external hard drive all organised in folders. I then use iTunes to play all my music. I just tend to download movies as and when I fancy watching one, majority of the ones I have saved are .avi though with the odd HD copy (not sure on the file type of these). If I could get something similar to how I have my PC and PS3 linked together using PS3 Media Server that would be amazing.

Do Apple have refurbed ones for sale on their website? I had a quick look the other day but cannot remember seeing any refurbed ones

Cheers

My Vodafone nano sim arrived today :)). Shame I can't activate it already though as I don't have a micro adapter for it. Will just have to wait until the iPhone 5 arrives then ring Vodafone to activate it straight away.

so when do we expect the preorder status to be updated to "shipped"?

i am so impatient at this point it's hard to put into words :D

Back
Top Bottom