Tevez + Mascherano to West Ham

A bit of info about MSI...
Media Sports Investment is the international fund of investors that runs Brazilian football club Sport Club Corinthians Paulista.

Corinthians signed a controversial deal with MSI in 2004 that grants the company a large degree of control of the club, in exchange for large investments. The deal lasts for 10 years. This has brought many good quality players to the team, such as former Boca Juniors star Carlos Tévez, midfielders Marcelo Mattos, Gustavo Nery, Roger, Javier Mascherano and Carlos Alberto, and defenders Seba Dominguez and Marinho, as well as coaches Passarella, Márcio Bittencourt and Antonio Lopes.

At the beginning of the 2005-06 season, MSI was behind an attempt by Iranian businessman Kia Joorabchian to take over English club West Ham United. The plan was officially abandoned in November of the same year, when agreement on a valuation of the club could not be reached. They were also rumoured to be considering a buyout of Aston Villa around the same time.

MSI was registered as a company in London on 31 August 2004 with Joorabchian and Nojan Bedroud listed as directors in filings at Companies House.

Rumours persist over the involvement of Russian oligarchs Roman Abramovich and Boris Berezovsky behind the scenes of MSI, with Chelsea FC owner Abramovich reputedly owning a 15% share of the investment group.

On 31 August 2006, Kia Joorabchian's involvement with Corinthians looked to have resulted in the club's biggest stars, Javier Mascherano & Carlos Tevez, being loaned out to West Ham; instead it was confirmed that West Ham had in fact signed the players on a permanent deal, not a loan basis. All other details of the transfers were not disclosed.

I don't think Tevez or Mascherano will have too much trouble adapting to the EPL. Mascherano is a tough tackling midfielder, he bosses the middle of the park and can mix it with the best of them. At 22 he has buckets of experience at club and international level, IMO he's the best in his position at his age. I REALLY wanted him for Arsenal but hey ho. He'll either hit it off with the Hammers or get snapped up by Barcelona/Milan/Chel$ki in 12 months time.

Tevez should be an impact player too. He's rapid and very strong for a young man, a similar build to Rooney. I can't see him getting muscled out of games buy big burly defenders.

All in all two very good signings but this does have a Tom-Cruise-wedding-esque weird feeling about it. No one seems convinced this is a black and white story, myself included. It depresses me that money has come to influence the game to such an extent that it seems to be the chief conversation point with all deals these days...

"It does not make sense unless you become aware of the long-term strategy of Kia Joorabchian and MSI. Joorabchian is based in London and it is believed that MSI is a front for the Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky, who is living in exile in Britain.

In December, 2004, MSI purchased Carlos Tévez from Boca Juniors on behalf of Corinthians for $22m (£11.4m). It was by far the most a Brazilian club had ever paid for a player. The Brazilian league is in a poor state and clubs' finances usually depend on selling players abroad. "Brazilian football doesn't have the resources to maintain a player like Tévez," said Juca Kfouri, Brazil's top sports journalist, expressing the bewilderment and suspicion that the transfer has provoked.

MSI promised to plough another $35m (£18.2m) into the team. "Our plan is to build Corinthians into a team of galácticos. Our goal is to do what Man United and Real Madrid have done.” The purchase of Tévez was followed by other big names joining the club including Javier Mascherano, Marinho, Marcelo Mattos, Hugo, Sebastian Dominguez, Gustavo Nery and Roger from Benfica.

MSI investment in Corinthians has not been a success in football terms (they are struggling at the bottom of the league) or in commercial terms (Brazilian football does not have the world exposure of the Premiership).

However, it was always clear that MSI really wanted a top London club.
Initially they tried to buy Arsenal. MSI did not like the quoted price of £400m. MSI then turned its attentions to West Ham. In December 2005 MSI offered £90m for the club: £60m for the club's equity, and £30m for the club's declared debts of £30m and investments in its infrastructure and team.

West Ham is owned principally by a small group of shareholders, including the chairman Terry Brown, and two families that have long-term stakes in the club, the Cearns and the Hills. The deal did not go ahead. MSI then targeted Aston Villa (valued at 78m) but lost out in last week’s deal.

MSI always wanted a club in London and therefore decided to return to its bid for West Ham. However, this time its strategy has changed. To win round the fans they have arranged for Corinthians two best players to go on loan at West Ham. These players will be sold to Manchester United or Arsenal next year if Chapman resists the MSI takeover. If Chapman agrees to the sale, MSI will bring in other international stars in January."

intersting article

lol at "maxirano"

MSI investment in Corinthians has not been a success in football terms (they are struggling at the bottom of the league) or in commercial terms (Brazilian football does not have the world exposure of the Premiership).
saddest part is that last year, first with MSI, Corinthians were league champions, with Roger, Tevez, and Nilmar destroying everything, and now is pure shit...

Haha... and i don't really give a f*ck about Corinthians.
Now they are heading to the 2nd division for sure.
With Rafael Moura aka. He-man and Nadson (wait, who's Nadson?) in the forward... it makes me laugh.
But FIFA mus tpunish Tevez. There's something that doens't smell good on that transfer. Why him and his partner Mascherano stopped training and... went off the map? Strange.

pk9 said:
haha yeah that was quite dumb though, peter were u there?

yip!

fantastic day. Good game, good goals, great stadium, and the mini pitch invasion was a laugh.

The crowd went mental when Kaka and Baptista came on! Although I think the annoucment about the bar being open after the game got a louder cheer!:lmao:

It was literally a home game for brazil. Maybe it the yellow that stands out, but all the Arsenal fans were cheering brazil on.

I hate booing in football, particularly if they haven't done anything other than going to a rival london club!

yeah haha, it was a perfect day the invaders came right from my end bl 13 and the girl with ass jumped off right infront of me, yeah i just hope tevez keeps it in mind when he comes back :lol:

great game a must for every neutral and damn they tried to get the mexican wave going every 5 seconds!

all in all etched in the memory bank for ever and kaka = CLASS!

mcdaddy said:
if tevez and mascherano are successful at west ham the fans wont let the club sell them - unless they are on 1 year deals which is highly unlikely - players who do it at w ham are worshiped there, the only time we've been a selling club in recent history is when the board sold rio ferdinand to leeds for £18million (to pay for a new stand) - which led to harry redknapp quitting the club in disgust!! and when we got relegated which is understandable.

happy days for west ham fans!!!

More like concerning days for West Ham fans.
I'm very apprehensive about the whole thing tbh.
If we get a proper takeover legit and good for the club, then great!!
As funny as it sounds, I would rather us stay a great club than become a West Hamski winning titles, having a new set of Prawn Sandwich season ticket holders with more money than the real fans meaning the real fans cannot get to games because of the massively inflated ticket prices.
I don't like all this one bit.... it stinks of Chelsea and feels like we are about to sell our soul to the highest bidder.
I'd rather be smaller and great rather than ending up a completely wank club like those in West London.

We will have no say in the matter of what happens with the transfers.
Our only hope is that the pair love it at Upton Park (and they will) and will want to stay and/or we have a very succesful season with maybe CL qualification and/or silverware (though unlikely).

FWIW,- Redknapp never quit the club in disgust... he was 'released' by West Ham (and with a fat brown paper bag from Willy Mackay from the Rio deal no doubt).
Saggy faced cunt... him and Roeder brought our club to its knees.

At the end of the day... I am realistic (as are the majority of WH fans) that we will be seeing these 2 for 1 year and 1 year only.
So I will enjoy it while I can and won't be too dissaponted that we are not run by a guy from a country you only heard of 2 months ago with an unpronouncable 2nd name being used as a 'business interest'.

West Ham have always been more than that.

Last edited:
I'm really scared about this "money guys" buying clubs like kids buying candys. First was Chelsea, then Corinthians and Man Utd and now is West Ham, this is a really takeover for the clubs and for the football.

I hope this clubs don't win any european major throphy or otherelse we must be prepared for seeing more "money guys" bombing with his dirty money in another leagues killing football step by step.

west050906.jpg

Official. Why he chosen 32 not 21? Does he thinks he is Shaq?

SPiTFiRE said:
I'm really scared about this "money guys" buying clubs like kids buying candys. First was Chelsea, then Corinthians and Man Utd and now is West Ham, this is a really takeover for the clubs and for the football.

Don't forget they already knocked on your own door. MSI owned part of Manuel Fernandes contract, half I believe.

lucas2491 said:
I'm 100% sure tevez doesn't know who is shaq
Lol.
Spitfire found out hte reason (16+16=32)

For Spitfire:
Using a Calculator, (Not windows calc) type 58008
then flip it vertically and looks what you've found

they may be good in south america but the question is can they adapt to epl style standards ?

Massacre_1907 said:
they may be good in south america but the question is can they adapt to epl style standards ?

Who knows. Let hope so!!

Crespo done pretty well considering how things were with him and his role at Chelsea... but then you have Veron.
World Class before he came England abd pretty ordinary whilst here.

I won't be getting my hopes up too much about them performing well, same as I haven't about them staying!!

Tevez is a bulldog, defenders will be scared just by looking at him and Mascherano gives you game intelligence and consistency both are no-nonsense argies and won‘t take any crap from defenders who‘ll try and kick them. I’d be very surprised if they both failed.

Massacre_1907 said:

I doubt it. South American footall is like the latin football (portuguese, spanish, italian) compared with the English and German.
There are a lot of differents in both, the first one is much more technical and slow with much fouls and game stoping and the second is very paced, tactical and strong.
As you can see, Forlan was an excellent example of that, he couldn't fit at the English football but fited very well on the Spanish.

West Ham fans just need to give'em time and patient, because it's not so easy for a player change his culture and football culture in one year. ;)

I think they will adapt...
I really loved steevio-uk's long post, a real fan...i hope West Ham will win silverware without being sold out...
The booing at the Emirates Stadium is ridiculous...

tevez was bright today (came on as sub in second half) despite not being match fit. Looks like hes adapted all ready, he has everything the premiership needs :)

Back
Top Bottom