Split Second: Velocity

Re: Split Second: Velocity (360/PC/PS3)

Get confused between this and Blur.

Looks good though, like the innovative HUD, very cool.

Bit jerky though, but I assume this is either the PC version, or due to the YouTube compression?

Probably Youtube and I think that vid is from a tradeshow or something?

I tried the demo last week and thought it was pretty good.
The only bad points I found were the handling felt slightly heavy at first so it took a bit to get used to and the power up things, which are nice, but there aren't enough places on the track to use them so I kept finding myself chasing someone with powerups but never getting a chance to use them.

Not enough depth for me, the demo reminded me of some free games i used to play on line.

Really enjoyed what I've played so far. It's not trying to be a sim in any way and it's just a lot of fun. Really enjoying the explosions, the speed feels good and the tracks are exciting.

I keep trying to barge the other cars off the road ala Burnout though :LOL:

It's basically Burnout mixed with Stuntman :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Apparantly in GAME you can trade in certain games and get Split Second half price. Luckily World Cup 2010 is one of those games. So I'll probably get this instead.

You can trade in FIFA 10 and get Split/Second for a tenner. Also BFBC2 or Just Cause 2 at Game.

You could always sell your game first, Tim. Then use the money to buy Split Second.

Personally, I'd rent this. You won't be playing it anyway, what with Red Dead Redemption out and all ;).

Just completed the first episode, cracking game :D

Some of the explosions and set-pieces are just crazy! :SHOCK:

So NOBODY has picked this up?! :SHOCK:

Getting cracking comments from Eurogamer forums!

I like the look of it but Red Dead and Modnation took priority. I still have £30 credit at gamestation but I'm thinking of saving that for Pure Football

Waiting for a price drop on this, I played the demo over a few times, it's fun, and I like the way that course's and laps can change so much. 3 races on the demo, had 3 different race times, 4'05, 4'25 and 4'45, winning each time, but differing track lay outs or not getting short cuts.

Did you buy it Dags?

Borrowed it from a friend but I'd agree that a price drop is probably the best way to go. Similar to Modnation Racers, racing games generally aren't worth too much although SS was £27 in Asda so that's more appealing.

Yeah, reading about Modnation, I will wait, I havent had time to start Red Dead yet, so the other games can wait for a sub 20 mark sometime I reckon.

Might get this if it is £27 in ASDA still?

Watched some reviews of Blur this morning as I was expecting to get that, but it didnt impress - looked a mess.

Disappointing really given the dev's pedigree, felt they could have done so much more (although fair enough, they probably didnt want to remake PGR for multiple platforms, but looking back, I wonder if they will regret that).

Gonna go get this shortly. 360 or ps3 though? I'm starting to feel the vibe of the ps3 again and plus i haven't got live at the moment...

Any probs with the ps3 version compared to the 360??

You spend £500 on a iPad surely £25 for a years live wont hurt :LOL:

You spend £500 on a iPad surely £25 for a years live wont hurt :LOL:

Aha, but I use my iPad 90% of the day - but I've not been on (or had reason to go on) Live for ages.

Last game I think was some COD2 a month or so back, but I didnt enjoy it then.

Not fussed about playing FIFA online at the mo. Perhaps I'll get live back for FIFA 11.

Hmmm... I've read reviews and feedback on SS and Blur now and I dont think I fancy either :(

Loads of people said SS is superb to start with - an 8/9 out of 10 game, but then becomes dull and repetitive quickly and the online isnt very good.

Blur sounds like it has better online, but bad AI.

Bah! Was gonna trade in some big games as well to get these. Might still trade in and get FIFA10 or some iTunes vouchers so I can get a few iPad games I've been after.

Really fancied one of the 2 racers as well :(

It's not great.

Which one?

Reading through the GameFaqs boards now and opinion is divided on them both! Some saying S/S is superb, others moaning about it getting dull and the online being shite as there is a DLC pack for the best cars which most people are using.

Then people are saying Blur is superb, or rubbish because all the weapons means you cannot win 'cleanly'.

More research (could just as well be playing MNR or WC2010 tbf...)

Caved in, went for Blur...

Split/second looks the better game and i watched the gamespot reviews of both on YouTube and both get very good reviews (and look great), just seemed like Blur has the edge due to longevity.

Also, i got it from hmv (didn't have it in game for the ps3 or 360 which was weird??) and got a free bluray (for which I really don't care) but I liked their 'guaranteed credit' of £30 if i trade Blur in before 10th June. So if i don't like it in a week or so, i can get s/s for a fiver.

Only problem with this game is I don't really feel like I'm playing a racing game, and the handling is shit. Not tried Blur yet.

Last edited:

Only problem with this game is I don't really feel like I'm playing a racing game, and the handling is shit. Not tried Blur yet.

How many cars have you unlocked? The cars get better as you unlock them.

Blur is poor IMO. Not worth £20, nevermind £40. It's like playing a "serious" Modnation Racers with worse controls, worse cars and worse gameplay overall. At least the loading times are better. SS would get an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me. Blur would get a 6.

Back
Top Bottom