SOCOM Confrontation PS3

The last I heard is it was shockingly bad and full of bugs which is why it was delayed from september until Feb09 for us. I've heard nothing since then to say if the bugs are gone or if they remain

This is released tomorrow in the UK, got my copy this morning from ShopTo. I don't know what bugs etc. were there in the beta, but Jesus Christ, I fucking love this game. The amount of customisation is brilliant, even better than Rainbow Six Vegas, and you really have to work as a team to win. Considering that I got it with the headset for £29 - so the game was about a tenner - it's a bargain!

Best shooter I've played since Rainbow Six Vegas, no doubt.

Anybody who invests and wants to join an Evo-Web clan, I've set one up (EWB, so that it matches the Killzone clan Radiation started).

Last edited:
Will buy this since im after the headset which alone is £17.99. So your effectively getting the game for just over a tenner.

Might trade Killzone 2 for this, I'll check reviews and user impressions first.

I think most of the bad reviews there are on about server issues etc. and I've had nothing like that yet. The patch was 150mb+ and apparently it's months and months worth of changes.

The good reviews say it all; not a big change from the previous ones apparently but I didn't play any of the previous ones so it's all good to me. Not a revolution but very very good at the style of gameplay it's got - i.e. serious, not run-and-gun. The best example I've played on a console actually.

I would say it's like Battlefield (the proper PC Battlefield) - you work together or you die. Every time I took the bomb on my own (because nobody would follow me, they were either hiding or running around CoD-style), I would invariably die, but then this guy shouted "WILL YOU GUYS START HELPING HIM" and after that, they did, and we started winning rounds. It's the kind of game that would be BRILLIANT with people you know, IMO it puts more importance on working as a team than any other shooter I've played. Without a good team that wants to help eachother out you don't stand much chance.

Also Battlefield-ish is the fact that one or two shots kill you, meaning everybody shits themselves and you move at about 1mph, and the maps are a decent size.

I don't want to say it's better than Killzone because I'm sure people will disagree, but I've had more fun with this in one day than I've had in Killzone since release. So I'm happy.

Last edited:
I think most of the bad reviews there are on about server issues etc. and I've had nothing like that yet. The patch was 150mb+ and apparently it's months and months worth of changes.

The good reviews say it all; not a big change from the previous ones apparently but I didn't play any of the previous ones so it's all good to me. Not a revolution but very very good at the style of gameplay it's got - i.e. serious, not run-and-gun. The best example I've played on a console actually.

I would say it's like Battlefield (the proper PC Battlefield) - you work together or you die. Every time I took the bomb on my own (because nobody would follow me, they were either hiding or running around CoD-style), I would invariably die, but then this guy shouted "WILL YOU GUYS START HELPING HIM" and after that, they did, and we started winning rounds. It's the kind of game that would be BRILLIANT with people you know, IMO it puts more importance on working as a team than any other shooter I've played. Without a good team that wants to help eachother out you don't stand much chance.

Also Battlefield-ish is the fact that one or two shots kill you, meaning everybody shits themselves and you move at about 1mph, and the maps are a decent size.

I don't want to say it's better than Killzone because I'm sure people will disagree, but I've had more fun with this in one day than I've had in Killzone since release. So I'm happy.

sounds promising. i did enjoy a bit of the beta i played in but it had soo much server issues, that it just pissed me off really. if its like battlefield minus the vehicles then this might be the game to get ahead of kz2, RE5 and SF4 that are on my wishlist

How does this game fair in the looks department? Compare it too Rainbow, GRAW, Battlefield BC, CoD and Killzone? I mean all those shooters look the part and play pretty well.

Not great graphically, the faces are a bit... Not "cartoony" exactly but you can tell they have a low polygon count. Still, the frame-rate is great because of that. Only seven maps though, doesn't seem like a lot but saying that I don't know how many are in KZ etc...

Just had friends around and they hated it. So maybe it's just me. :LOL:

It's a very hardcore game, in-fact I'd go as far as to say you can only really experience it properly if you've got a clan. Because it only takes one or two shots to die sometimes, you have to crawl around the maps at 1mph and be ultra careful. Any randoms who have only just bought the game get themselves killed within a minute and if you've got loads of those kinds of players on your team, you can get down to 2v8 very quickly. You either love how hard it is or hate it completely.

Also there doesn't seem to be an auto-assign function in ranked games so if it looks like it's going to be 2v8 you don't press the ready button and you bail before it can start.

It's like a cross between Battlefield and Rainbow Six, decent maps and great action but if you don't know what you're doing or you're put with a bunch of knobs then you've got less chance than a cat in a washing machine.

All the weapons are unlocked from the start (either that or there's going to be 100s of weapons in the game because I've already got something like 20 per character - you set up an SAS character and a terrorist character, both have different sets of weapons). This means everybody is level from the start, which is a great thing, but at the same time I don't think there's anything to unlock so that's a bit disappointing.

There's 10 "performance medals" to get though, plus 8 "service medals" and 3 "weapon medals". The highest performance medals (they're like a ranking system but you have to meet certain requirements, not just get a set number of points) are stupidly hard to get. The highest performance medal requires:

Silver Star, Military Cross, Gallantry Medal, 50 MVP awards, 5000 kills, 250 headshots, 500 games on winning side, extract 150 hostages, plant 100 bombs, capture 125 control points, eliminate 125 hostages (as the terrorists), win all service medals, become elite at all weapon specialties... (Is that all? :LOL:)

I love that you can select your clan's "army" too. So you've got [US] Navy Seals, [UK] SAS, etc...

So it's definitely the purist's FPS game, like Pro Evo was the purist's football game years ago.

I really hope some people on my PSN list get it so that it gets a bit easier to win games, I thought loads would have got it with the headset but nobody has so far...

Last edited:
Its not an fps game though. aint it a third person game? it was from the beta?

how many bullets does it take in killzone 2? i much rather have realistic games where 2-3 shots could kill you. Its why i always play hardcore mode in COD4

I didn't know about the guns being unlocked at the start. I assumed it would be like COD or other games where you unlock better guns as you play.

That was the one thing putting me off - that the USA guys would have already ranked up and unlocked everything and know the maps and tricks and would end up thrashing us Euro noobs.

Sorry, I always say FPS, it's third-person Jonney you're right. You can zoom in to right behind the guy's head though, so it's not bad. I hate third-person usually, games like Gears of War wind me up.

But yeah it's one or two shots before you die, three if you get hit in arms or legs originally. I much prefer games like that, especially with no respawns. If a game starts off with 32 players it's whittled down really quickly, especially when there's a few noobs. Takes a decent length of time as well, my first few games lasted for 30 minutes but admittedly since then they've varied between 5-20 minutes depending on the amount of people who have just got the game and don't know what they're doing yet.

It's got a party system as well as the clan system which is great, not like Killzone where you get put on opposite sides half of the time. Only bad thing is that there's no auto-levelling from what I can see so you have to pop on and off servers sometimes trying to find balanced numbers before you start.

And yeah Rad it's good that everything is unlocked so it's fair for everyone from the off. Even the sights etc. are all unlocked and there's about six different ones. I think it's a bit of a shame that there's nothing to "work for" though, apart from the ranks and the medals which need you to do lots and lots of work. Definitely a purist's game.

Back
Top Bottom