SOCOM Confrontation PS3

embraceuk1

Original Member Since 2001
30 December 2001
Indiana USA (Scottish)
Nottingham Forest
One of the best Online Shooters series on any system.

Since the announcement was made last May, Sony has remained somewhat tight-lipped on the topic of SOCOM Confrontation, the multiplayer-only PS3 entry into the Navy-oriented series. The May issue of EGM will end all that, however, with a massive feature on the anticipated title, including all new details and screens.

To whet the pallet, Sony has revealed two new screenshots of Confrontation in action, with accompanying information about what players are seeing. The above image displays a ruined shopping mall, on a map that supports 16 player combat, but can expand to fit up to 32. A second screen features Crossroads, a classic SOCOM map that will make an HD reappearance in Confrontation.

In addition to a new over-the-shoulder camera, the classic SOCOM camera option will still be available in Confrontation, for those of us frightened by change. Check out high-res versions of both screens, as well as all the screens released so far, in the gallery below.

2308144397_692819b226_o.jpg

screen5.jpg

screen6.jpg

screen4.jpg

screen2.jpg

I remember playing SOCOM on the PS2 for hours on end with no break. A classic in every sense that levels could take up to 45 mins do.

I also prefered the fact that there was no respawn so there was no guns blazing all glory. You really had to think and tread carefully where you went as once you were killed then waited for the game to finish

Never played it before, same as Jay. Look forward to trying it out - looks exactly the same as CoD to me!

I had the first Socom on ps2 with the headset - loved giving commands to the AI. It was an awesome game and was one of the first ever online PS2 games.

I've always heard the games were stunning online - i was bought the first one with the headset - but i couldn't get the ps2 online :(
But it was still really cool to be able to order your ai team mates around by speaking into the headset.

Should be a good game for the HOME 3D gaming plan of attack thingy --- If you've not heard/read... basically a group of you in HOME can load up a map from a game like resistance (and i assume this will have the same support), view it in a 3D scaled model and then plan how to attack/defend... and then launch the map up and play.

I had the original on the PS2 that came with the headset. One of the first online games if I remember correctly.

I'm looking forward to this, its going to be a good summer for games for a change.

Socom Confrontation - PS3

Looking forward to this game, slightly disappointed that its being released in September instead of the summer though.

Main points from the EGM article (from this thread):

Quote:
"I work for a video game company so i get mine early" -daedum

-Its 10 pages long, with 15 new screenshots

GAMEPLAY

-You can roll or underhand a grenade with real physics

-You can lean your guy with the six-axis instead of the d-pad

-There is proximity chat

-Your clan can talk via open chat, but you can L2 to chat to everyone on your team. Or if you have proximity chat then you chat with who ever is around you.

-Audio has changed. Sounds around a corner sound muffled.

-There is now a run/sprint mode. You can run/sprint but you can’t shoot and your gun will not be accurate after running. So basically just use this too avoid snipers.

-Tilt with the six-axis can be tweaked for sensitivity

-There are exploding barrels and cars.

-View distance is big, so no more fog like SOCOM 2

-Smoke looks dark gray

-They talk about the 3rd person view. They said because the new widescreen TVs have a different ratio, there was too much space on each side of the classic view.

-"Sony's Seth Luisi says, "Because it was more centered towards 4:3 TVs, and now going to 16:9, we have a lot more area off to the sides."

-You can go up on roofs

GAME SETUP & INFO

-Crossroads is bigger than the original

-They are bringing back a new game mode. "Elimination" its like SOCOM 2, kill the whole other team or take a draw

-Crossroads (ps3) has an extra outer ring that the ps2 didn't have. There are two towers now.

-Confrontation is 32 players but you can make smaller maps for 16 players total.

-Improved clan support

-Ranked matches are automated. If you want to set up your own room with specifics (no grenades, etc) it won’t be ranked. This stops cheaters and rank ups.

-"You can no longer set up a match exactly defined to your team’s exact strengths and create a honeypot to raise your clan ranking. For your clan to have a global ranking you now have to be a rounded team with good strategies for dealing with all the maps. Now, you can build all the custom games you want - the room system is still there, which I know is really important to SOCOM fans. You can do all your clan tryouts and training in those rooms, and even playing within those games aggregates different stats, because we track a lot of information about the player. But it doesn't directly go into the global clan ladder." –Seth Luisi

-There will be 7 maps total at launch. All maps will be based in North Africa

-There is an underground map that has a collapse parttriggered by the enemy

-Clan support will be available on socom.com where the leader can change their clan, add players etc.

-There will be a party system so your clan will join the same game.

-The other map that is shown in the article is called URBAN WASTELAND it takes place around a high rise hotel, but it mentions you have access to just the first few stories. It has an underground tunnel network and has some bridges and stuff. There is a multileveled parking garage. This is the same one that was shown in previous screenshots released on the web.

MISC DETAILS

-They are planning on having a new headset for SOCOM.

-It also shows the online numbers of the SOCOM franchise aswell as 2 screenshots from SOCOM 1 & 2

-THERE WILL BE A CLOSED BETA. I think it said they will seekpeople out through SOCOM.com

-Closed beta going on "right now or May"

-Open beta after that.
SOCOM.com Now Ready For Confrontation

Re: Socom Confrontation - PS3

To quote Jose Mourinho "This will be like a good omlette"

:))

Re: Socom Confrontation - PS3

I'm DL 1UP Show now to watch it.

I'm going to buy it, keep the headset and trade in the game, the beta has put me off the game.

I've just pre-ordered it as well for the headset... But this is the only game I'd use a bloody headset with.

What was wrong with the beta?

I've just pre-ordered it as well for the headset... But this is the only game I'd use a bloody headset with.

What was wrong with the beta?

everything. from 5min loading times to the dreadful lag. take your pic but this game is not in a good state.

im thinking of getting this just for the headset and then selling the game the enxt day

No impressed by the vids to be honest. Why is it that most PS3 games look like HD PS2 graphics? I've noticed this on many games for PS3. This game is no exception. Look at the trees, the ground, and the buildings..very poor.

I don't know what the hell is going on with PS3. The only games I've truly enjoyed that looked polished were Drakes Fortune, Hotshots Out of bounds, and Ratchet and Clank. Maybe it's me or something wrong with my eyes, but most games on this system look like PES2008/09 with HD PS2 graphics.

I do admit that this game is a classic that I enjoyed on PS2. Gameplay is great. I just wish the graphics would catch up to current-gen.

Last edited:
I think that's due to it being online and they want to keep lag down. COD4 has 2D trees and dull textures yet everyone raves about the graphics of that game.

I've heard the beta got worse and worse with each patch which doesn't make me want the final build any more than months ago.

I pre-ordered this from Play (as Holio recommended above), got it down as £30 even though they've now hiked the price up which is nice. But, with Friday approaching (and me looking forward to playing it), I got an email from Play saying the release date for Europe has been put back to mid-January. :CRY:

Looking at Videogamesplus.ca (where I will be ordering Rock Band 2 from shortly so that I can play all of my imported Rock Band 1 content), I can order it from there for £38, and receive it within a week or two. I only have two questions; would there be any server/lag issues due to me being based in the UK? And can someone in the US who's played it tell me if it's any good?

It's between this and CoD5, I can't play both.

Well IGN gave it a 4.5, there was an awful lot of problems with it at the start, and slowly but surely they are getting patched, and I guess thats the main reason the Euro release is getting put back, in order to try and sort them out. So I would say, get CoD WaW, play it and wait for the Euro release of the game. I cancelled my order and just ordered the headset on its own from Play anyhow.

Yeah, I read a few reviews today and all the sites that have changed their review score have knocked it up a fair bit. Originally (as a few people have said above) I think the patches were making it worse but now they seem to be fixing everything bit by bit.

My only worry is that I wait until January for the UK release and then we've got two months of the same issues that the US release has, while they run around and optimise all our servers... I think I'll take your advice, once I've got GoW2 finished (or I can bring myself to part with Mirror's Edge) I'll hammer CoD5 until January.

Back
Top Bottom