Should all the England players get Booed?

Do they deserve to be Booed?

• Total voters

Coopz

Retired Footballer
27 April 2002
Simple question do they deserve it?

I was at Pride Park yesterday and Terry, Cole, Wright-Phillips and Lampard all got booed everytime they got the ball, as did all the others when i watched MOTD and i think they deserve all they get for the remainder of this season

What makes it worse is Cole and Terry playing 4 days after they were injured for England, Gerrard playing like a man possessed after his no show at Wembley and the same can be said about all of the players this weekend.

Oh and heres what i recorded at Pride park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61-Grmz72U

Hahaha, I was out at a gig last night and I missed MotD, didn't know all the England squad were getting booed. That's great.

Of course they deserve it, the manager was crap but the players are the ones who score or concede, and they've let the country down. I'm sure it will only last a week anyway.

LOL, tbh they [chelsea players] deserve it regardless of their england perfomances :D

Cant say I mind much really, Liverpool only have Gerrard and he seemed to respond well yesterday :D But that is also the downside, with chelsea and manu having quite a few england players i could imagine that to only help them which is the last thing i would want.

But they all deserve it...........

shows how twatish this nations 'football fans' really are.

Do you care to explain what your talking about?

How is it "twatish"?

They have let the whole country down, if they played well and lost fair enough but the didnt look like they were even trying. But yesterday shock horror they all played well. Ca-ching ££££££££££££

Peter Eyres is absolutely right...
Do you think they did it on purpose????
Do you think poor Carson let that Kracjar goal on purpose in???
Do you think Gerrard played bad on purpose. Just like Shearer said on match of the day: playing a bad match happens...you can't win them all.
Just like all the fuzz around the money MC Laren for quitting, this is a deal that was made with the English FA...
You people are influenced by the dreadfull tabloïds.

Nobody said they did it on purpose

they are meant to be world class players but they played like a Sunday league side as they have done for most England games lately. This isnt just about the Croatia game this has been building up since the Qualifers started and the players putting in lacklustre performances for most of the games. Then coming back to the Prem and play awesome again.

And its got nothing to do with the papers everyone watched England every time they have played and made up there own minds

Coopz, lots of other so called big nations struggled, but when it mattered they had their key players there. Plenty of other big nations would struggle against Russia, Croatia and for that matter Israel.

The fact of the matter is, with a bit of luck we'd have qualified even before Israel gave us a lifeline. We were also missing plenty of vital players.

I think we are blowing everything out of proportion. Booing these player and calling them wankers is pathetic.

The reason they perform for their club sides is not a secret. They practically live with their club team-mates, and they often play 2 games a week together. They build up an understanding and they have freindships. Get them together in the England team, and they are effectively all trying to compete with each other for the plaudits. Gerrard and Lampard try to outperform each other and play the killer ball when it would be far more effective to use each other to construct play. They hardly have any time to play games together.

If you think Steven Gerrard purely plays for money you are very much mistaken.

The England team isn't a team. And really the side needs a manager who can come in and create a comaradery (I'm thinking Redknapp, Mourinho). Just like at Arsenal at the end of the Wigan game, or how Arbeloa runs the full length of the pitch to jump on top of Steven Gerrard. Of course the players have a part to play, but when you look at any tight footballing unit, they are always led by a brilliant motivational leader.

Last edited:
Absolutely right Peter Eyres...
The amount of players England missed...Croatia is a very good team.
Some English fans tend to underestimate other teams.
Look at Russia: 0-1 in Andorra...

The reason they perform for their club sides is not a secret. They practically live with their club team-mates, and they often play 2 games a week together.

;)
and even more important, they train together every day!
in 1 word, chemistry.

Coopz, your point would be agreable if football would be an individual sport. but football is a team-sport, and the performances of the players are always effected by the performances of their teammates.

when gerrard, lampard, terry, ect, go back to their own clubs, they play with guys who know them much better than their national team teammates (as Peter pointed out), and this explains why they perform differently :)

Fuck chemistry

if you take your 11 best players out of the best league in the world they should be topping that group easily

I tell you now if you had Dawson, Sidwell, Parker ect in the team they would have shown some bottle because they are playing for their place and not getting in the team because of their name

When we watch the Premiership, we see lots of heated battles on the pitch. Players diving, defenders going in with hard tackles, lots of pushing and shoving. I'm not saying those things are beautiful but when was the last time England's players did that for the national side? Joe Cole's a perfect example of someone who clearly dives or atleast exaggerates tackles but for England he doesnt. The point is, that to me clearly shows he would do whatever it takes to win for Chelsea (even if he has to cheat) but not for England. I was glad when Terry was made captain ahead of Gerrard cuz Gerrard's another player who puts a lot more heart into his Liverpool performances than his England performances.

This is one of the reasons I've always backed Beckham. Say what you want about him but he genuinely wants to play for England and nothing means more to him. And its a shame he hasnt already reach his 100th cap yet just because people jumped on the bandwagon and kicked him out of the national side. The same way Sven was dropped.

When we watch the Premiership, we see lots of heated battles on the pitch. Players diving, defenders going in with hard tackles, lots of pushing and shoving. I'm not saying those things are beautiful but when was the last time England's players did that for the national side? Joe Cole's a perfect example of someone who clearly dives or atleast exaggerates tackles but for England he doesnt. The point is, that to me clearly shows he would do whatever it takes to win for Chelsea (even if he has to cheat) but not for England. I was glad when Terry was made captain ahead of Gerrard cuz Gerrard's another player who puts a lot more heart into his Liverpool performances than his England performances.

This is one of the reasons I've always backed Beckham. Say what you want about him but he genuinely wants to play for England and nothing means more to him. And its a shame he hasnt already reach his 100th cap yet just because people jumped on the bandwagon and kicked him out of the national side. The same way Sven was dropped.
That is so true, and if you watch it carefully lots of players in their national team do the same. Like here, Ronaldo and Quaresma, 2 big hopes for Portugal, what do they do in the national team? Ronaldo makes a dribble and then looses the ball, quaresmas is always trying to do a maradona and making everything by himself, well and what do u see in their teams (Man United and Porto)? They fucking rock and play like there's no tomorrow. Only player i know that makes the exact opposite of that is Shevchenko, that plays poorly in Chelsea and awesome at the Ucrania team.

Fuck chemistry

well, i guess it's all about point of views, afterall :lol:;)

if you take your 11 best players out of the best league in the world they should be topping that group easily

it should happen...... but sometimes it doesn't. doesn't this suggest u anything?

if the result of a sport competition would be so easily predictable, then there would be no point in playing.

italy played its worst football in euro 2004. we were kicked out of the competition at the group stage, and our group wasn't tough at all.
bulgaria, denmark and sweden aren't of course as good as italy in theory..... but sport has anything to do with theory... we lost because our opponents played better than us, pretty simple.
but do u think our players played bad on purpose? do u think they didn't give their 100% on the pitch. no. they just weren't able to play football together.
2 years after (almost) the same players were lifting the world cup......
...because in those 2 years lippi was able to build a team, to create the chemistry, to let the players expressing their true abilities.

on the other side, the team who won the last euro torunament was greece. greece had good players (now they have also some great players)... they weren't individually better than italy's or england's players....... but they were a hell of a team which played some good football. and that's what brought them to win. their football.

it's not the quality of your domestic league that tells u who are the best, neither the quantity of star players.
the best are those who play the best football, usually.
and btw i honestly wouldn't say england has the best league in the world....at all. but that's just my opinion ;)

How else are the fans going to show their disappointment with the players, write the whole team a stiff letter?

.. As ever our media builds us up to be all conquering and our FA are even now looking for another, Yes man. There is a fundamental problem with our whole system from the top to the grass roots game. We have won nothing before or since 66'. You would think that would say enough...

Fuck chemistry

I tell you now if you had Dawson, Sidwell, Parker ect in the team they would have shown some bottle because they are playing for their place and not getting in the team because of their name

But these players would of been crushed by a Croatian midfield...:lol:

Might I add Gerrard and Lampard et co don't get into the England team purely by name. They get in because they win the Champions League and the Premiership and the FA Cup, and win player of the month awards and pick up countless goals, assists and MOTM performances, and get nominated for World and European player of the year awards....the list goes on.

Owen gets in even if he's not playing because all our other strikers are so far off international class, or they are constantly on a physio's bench. Owen gets in because he has a tremendous record in international games.

Terry and Ferdinand get in because they are often a vital part of two of the best defensive units in European football.

Last edited:
Fuck chemistry

Spain and Italy did win their group...

a: It's not sure that the premiership is the best league in the world
b: if it is the best league in the world that is because of the foreign players, the foreign impact in Italy and Spain is far lees than in England.England have two players who are close to world class: Rooney and Terry. Both were injured.
c: the 11 best players in the world are far from the best team...so the 11 best players of perhaps the best league (due to the foreigners) should not easily top that group.
d: England did not even had the most talented squad in that group...that is Croatia by a mile.

Rune: i don't agree with you. Cole has played fantastic matches for the national team, remember his great goal against Sweden...

Last edited:
How else are the fans going to show their disappointment with the players, write the whole team a stiff letter?

That is seriously underestimating their intelligence...knowing that only the "gay" players read the good press (Le Saux' book), they are reading the rags...they left no doubt about how the public feels...

It's a difficult question really. People always say you can't just blame the manager, the players are the ones on the pitch, so what other way do the fans have of letting them know they are unhappy with what happened?

Obviously it's not very productive, but then again some people who go to matches think it's good to scream any insult they can think of at an opposition player who's just taking a throw in!!

There needs to be some sort of team building so that when they get together to play for England they work better as a unit. Also who ever the next manager is needs to have the brains and the balls to make unpopular choices by leaving out the 'big' names if they don't fit the team.

And sorry Gerd, I have to disagree, John Terry is far from world class, I think Rio Ferdinand is a far better defender.

Rio Ferdinand is an awful player, makes far too many mistakes and can't pass the ball for shit.

Anyway, England players should be playing better. Fair enough they don't have the chemistry that they have playing with club teammates, but then neither do any other nations. Unless you make an England team with players from the same club, it's the same. Italy doesn't pick players from one team and they have good chemistry.

It's about bottle, about wanting to win your place. England players are too big for their boots, too cocky and think they'll keep their place because of their name.

Rune: i don't agree with you. Cole has played fantastic matches for the national team, remember his great goal against Sweden...
You missed the point. When he plays great, its because he's a great player. The heart is still not there cuz deep down inside, he probably doesnt take it as seriously as club football. Like I said earlier, he won't dive for England but he will for Chelsea. I'm not supporting his actions but atleast he shows for Chelsea that he's willing to go that far to win for them.
I'm not judging Joe Cole's or anyone else's ability. I'm questioning their desire to win for England.

They shouldn't get booed as its not going to do the situation any good for anyone, but they should hang their heads in shame for not qualifying and give England fans a refund for the money they spent on tickets. And McClaren should be taken out into the middle of Trafalgar Square and skinned alive, and then the people assembled should throw salt and vinegar at his raw, exposed and wounded interior flesh, that's deserved as its all his fault, but booing, no, definately not, that's harsh.

That is seriously underestimating their intelligence...knowing that only the "gay" players read the good press (Le Saux' book), they are reading the rags...they left no doubt about how the public feels...
It's not about the players, I'm meaning the fan's. Do you think the average fan is going to think I guess they know how bad they have done as they have read and seen it in the press and news, expecting fans to not react and boo them is like expecting them to not boo and taunt away teams! Nothing to do with the players..

they definitely deserve them!!i mean you work for a firm,you make a first mistake,the boss give you a second chance and you make an other mistake,do you think you will get a third chance?or you will be fired?with England NT it's the same ,the only difference it's the players can't be fired,so the fans have all the rights to boo them because it's the only way for the fans to show the players that they are unhappy

Back
Top Bottom