Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

i'm a big fan of pippo and i wish him to do well, but i'd be surprised if he could do much good with this milan team.
being milan's coach theese days is kinda like driving a ferrari f1 car.... u get the huge expectations which come with the "big name", but u have very little to work with.

this is a bit embarassing to ask, but do u guys know if palermo made any moves on the market yet?... i'm not really following football much lately :P

oh and btw, keep an eye on our young striker Belotti. everyone in palermo is crazy about this kid, and even i was quite impressed by him last season (on the few occasions i actually watched palermo's games). :))

I think Palermo will do fine this year and avoid relegation. They do what they do best - sign random players for peanuts who end up doing pretty well. Apparently a Bulgarian kid called Chochev is a talent.

You guys also signed Swedish international defender Quaison (don't know if he's good...).

But overall Palermo kept its winning team together, unlike Pescara 2 years ago that got totally dismantled.

i'm a big fan of pippo and i wish him to do well, but i'd be surprised if he could do much good with this milan team.
being milan's coach theese days is kinda like driving a ferrari f1 car.... u get the huge expectations which come with the "big name", but u have very little to work with.

this is a bit embarassing to ask, but do u guys know if palermo made any moves on the market yet?... i'm not really following football much lately :P

oh and btw, keep an eye on our young striker Belotti. everyone in palermo is crazy about this kid, and even i was quite impressed by him last season (on the few occasions i actually watched palermo's games). :))

Belotti was sold to Valencia

I think Palermo will do fine this year and avoid relegation. They do what they do best - sign random players for peanuts who end up doing pretty well.

But overall Palermo kept its winning team together, unlike Pescara 2 years ago that got totally dismantled.

pescara got picked apart coz they had players worth picking (verratti, insigne, immobile and so on)...... we don't. the reason why we didn't sell anyone is because our team is formed by a bunch of mediocre players and nobody is interested in buying them. there's a chance belotti might turn into a good player, but it's still way too early to say.

the fact that we won serie b might give u the illusion we're not that bad afterall..... but the truth is that, just like serie a, serie b too is facing an impressive decline.
i've only watched a handful of palermo games last season, but it was enough to appreciate the unbelievably poor quality of serie b football today.
infact palermo's victory is a perfect representation of serie b's depressing state. the fact that such a mediocre team was able to not only win, but litterally kill the league, speaks volumes about the quality of this league.
if this palermo team would have partecipated to a serie b season 8 years ago, it would have been relegated to serie c.... and i'm not exagerating.
pisano, morganella, barreto, rios... theese were all serie c kinda players, just a few years ago. and even though serie a too isn't as good as it used to be, there's no chance we can avoid relegation if we line up such players.

as for our ability to find and sign up talented and relatively unknown youngsters for peanuts, we lost that ability when sabatini left. it's true, we once were among the smartest players in the european market... but that was because we had amazing directors (Foschi first, then Sabatini).... but ever since our last good director left, we haven't been able to find a single "diamond in the rough" (except belotti.... maybe).

i wish i could share some of your optimism, stef... but all things considered, i'd be absolutely amazed if, by the end of this season, we weren't already on our way back to serie b. :((

Last edited:
Oops, that doesn't seem very good prospects for Palermo, let's hope Ben is wrong or that they unearth a couple of gems between now and septembre the first...

What doyou think guys, will Juve win it again or are there teams who came nearer and can be challengers ? Roma ? Napoli ? Fiorentina ?

What doyou think guys, will Juve win it again or are there teams who came nearer and can be challengers ? Roma ? Napoli ? Fiorentina ?

if roma keep playing on the same spectacular standards of last season, i'd say they have a reasonable claim to the scudetto. the giallorossi were absolutely fantastic last season and the only reason they didn't win the scudetto was because juventus had a record-breaking season (102 pts). just to give u an idea, roma finished the season with 85 pts, which is usually enough to win the league.
i don't think juventus could have repeated such an amazing season even with conte.... and when u factor in the coaching change, that makes it even less likely. so i'd say the race for the scudetto will be more open this season.
however this season roma will have to play in CL too, which may make things more complicated for them.

fiorentina and napoli will probably be right on juve's and roma's tails until the very end, and they'll probably end up battling for the 2nd\3rd place.
if napoli work on their consistancy, they might even join the race for the scudetto, who knows.
as for fiorentina, it all comes down to rossi' fitness imo. they have a fantastic team and a great coach, but both their fowards are very fragile. last season fiorentina basically played all year long without strikers (which makes their run even more impressive)... if rossi stays fit, there's no telling what they might achieve.

anyway, keep in mind i don't follow serie a as closely as i used to, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. :))

however this season roma will have to play in CL too, which may make things more complicated for them.

Sure - but also Juve will be playing in CL. And out of the big 3, Napoli/Juve/Roma, I think only Roma have actually signed a very strong second line up without losing any stars (yet).

They brought in:

Astori
Iturbe
Keita
Ucan
Cole
Emanuelson
Paredes
Borriello
Sanabria

That's quite some depth for a Serie A team. Napoli haven't really signed anyone (yet) so I'm not sure if their depth will help their European campaign.

wow! sabatini has been a busy boy this summer!!! :D
very impressive additions to the squad (especially astori and iturbe).

man, we were soo close! first 2 points of the season wasted.

... and the countdown to zamparini's first sacking of the season begins :D

on a different topic, i heard someone saying there are currently 7 serie a clubs without a sponsor. can anyone confirm?
not that it would surprise me of course. italy's (and italians') general ineptitude and sloppiness reached such depths, that nothing can surprise me anymore.

and to think people are mad because tavecchio got elected as new federcalcio president. tavecchio was a great choice, as he perfectly represents our football clubs presidents.
the sad truth is we deserve tavecchio.

Last edited:
I think it's Palermo, Lazio, Roma, Sampdoria, Genoa and Cesena do not have sponsors. Crazy especially how both capital clubs do not have sponsors.

If we had another manager with the current Milan squad now, I'd be sure we'd see another disaster season. But there's something about Super Pippo that makes me feel excited and optimistic for Milan this season. Pippo has brought me so many amazing memories and his energy is ridiculously crazy!!! I love Pippo.

After Milan's 2nd goal against Lazio, he got so excited and ran onto the pitch to celebrate with the players. He said post-game that he couldn't contain himself and felt like one of the players. What a legend :D

It looks like our team feels like a team with Pippo.

YouTube - Sulley Muntari Great Goal - AC Milan vs Lazio 2-0 ( Serie A ) 31/08/2014 HD

yeah, that's the superpippo effect! :D it's impossible not to be effected by his enthusiasm.

Damjan said:
I think it's Palermo, Lazio, Roma, Sampdoria, Genoa and Cesena do not have sponsors. Crazy especially how both capital clubs do not have sponsors.
that's crazy indeed. thanks for the info btw ;)

Ben, could you tell us what you know about Massimo Cellino? He's the chairman of Leeds over here and looks like he's doing his best to take apart the club this season.

Cellino is crazy, but not the craziest chairman in Italy, but that doesn't say anything.

He argued with the city council in Cagliari, which was why they had to play for zero people in Trieste and Parma. Juventus actually won the league at Cagliari three years ago but in Trieste in front of only a few thousand Juventini, it was bizarre but something which I will always remember.

hey mate, check your PM when you get a chance! Thanks!
i didn't notice your pm yet coz i haven't logged in on evo web in about a week. anyway, i just read your pm and i promise i'll get back to u at some point this week (perhaps even by the end of the day). ;)
Super Pippo effect ;)
some pretty crazy stuff this week end! first milan game i enjoyed watching in years. now let's hope the superpippo effect won't wear off too quickly! :))
Abou said:
Ben, could you tell us what you know about Massimo Cellino? He's the chairman of Leeds over here and looks like he's doing his best to take apart the club this season.
hey man, it's been a while! i'm very happy to see u're still around! :))
about Cellino, he's a nutcase. as damjan said, he wasn't the craziest club owner in serie a, but then again, when u consider how many lunatics populate italian football, that's not very reassuring.
in terms of stupidity, lack of any patience or vision, flamboyance and narcisism, i'd say he's the missing link between zamparini and homo sapiens.
he's the typical 60 years old millionaire with a napoleon complex. his move to england struck me as the act of a man having a mid-life crisis. i mean, why else would u sell your boyhood club (he was born in cagliari and was an actual cagliari fan) and buy leeds? theese days buying an english football club seems to be the millionaire-male equivalent of buying a porsche 911 or filming a sex tape. even though he's an attention whore he can't satisfy his narcisism with a new supercar, coz when u're a millionaire that's just not gonna cut it.... and he can't even release a sex tape coz he doesn't look like kim kardashian. so the only smart option left is buying an english football club.

the problem with cellino is not is lack of a plan, nor his stupidity (i actually think he might not be as dumb as he appears)... his problem is his lack of any patience. he has the attention span of a mosquito and will revolutionize his plans at least twice a week (so if anything, his problem is that he has too many plans).

bottom line, if he were to buy palermo tomorrow, i wouldn't consider him much of an improvement over zamparini (and i guess that really says anything u might need to know about him). oh, and he's also the biggest drama queen in european football

Last edited:
Torres gets pull down in the box (Injury Time) nothing given and a few seconds later Juve player Oban gets a slight touch . The ref blows his whistle for a foul... No breaks for the hosting side.

Another good performance by us, but I was underwhelmed by Milan. I think the defensive mindset cost them the match. If they had pressured the Juve back-line more I think they could've added a lot more danger, as Chiellini was struggling and Ogbonna isn't the paciest.

Perreyra has been fantastic so far, he's like a second Vidal. Very active.

Pogba so far has stepped his game up a lot, the potential has always been there but the last half season he was a bit anonymous at times. Great to see him perform well again.

The depth we've added is really important in my opinion. Like I said, Perreyra slotted in effortlessly and Marchisio made me forget about Pirlo. Also the fact that even with Barzagli and Caceres out we still have Ogbonna and Romulo to bring on.

it's obviously still early, but everyone seems to be already very fascinated by the football allegri brought to torino. unfortunately though i still haven't been able to watch a juve game. what do u think about this new juve Damjan? :)

and, on a different topic......
BELOTTIIIII!!! :BOP::BOP::BOP:
this kid keeps impressing, but boy, napoli are really doing everything in their power to fuck up all the good job done last season.

Well, so far it is basically the same formula Conte used, but the performances seem grittier and a bit more attacking. Not many Juventini were particularly excited by this mercato but we added great depth to the team. Barzagli is out and was replaced by Caceres, who's out too now. Ogbonna replaced him and is playing very well, and we still have Romulo on the bench. If you look at the midfield, Marchisio has been amazing so far, and Pereyra sometimes makes you think Vidal is playing even when he isn't.

I have to admit, I was very sceptical about Allegri (who wasn't though) but so far it is very impressive. I can't wait for the Roma game, which is a great opportunity to check Juve out for you. ;)

And Belotti has been very impressive, it seems like there's a good stream of young Italian strikers in Serie A at the moment. Zaza, Belotti, Gabbiadini and Berardi. Only seems like Insigne is kind of stalling in his development.

And yeah, earth is slipping underneath Rafa's feet!

I was very sceptical about Allegri (who wasn't though)

me. I've always rated him and said this multiple times here.

not sure why he's always been put to blame by people when the milan team were actually messed up with its economical problems.

True, but I meant amongst Juventini. It was a bit hard to comprehend going from someone like Conte to going to someone who was fired at Milan. However, I am glad to say that I was wrong.

Damjan said:
I have to admit, I was very sceptical about Allegri (who wasn't though) but so far it is very impressive. I can't wait for the Roma game, which is a great opportunity to check Juve out for you.
it's not just a juventini thing though. many italian fans seem to underestimate allegri for some reason. it's almost as if there were something about him, that makes it difficult for people to take him seriously as a great coach.
personally i've always liked him. i realised he was something special since his first job in serie a (that cagliari team was something else).
and that is something, coz i'm usually terrible at predicting talent (whether it's coaching talent or playing talent)
btw i'm definitely gonna watch the roma-juve game ;)

speaking of roma, yesterday was totti's 38th birthday and i somehow stumbled on theese 2 quotes from him:
totti said:
Quando ero piccolo e annavo a giocà a’ pallone con ragazzi che non conoscevo e stavano a fa le squadre se finiva sempre con “palla o regazzino?”, poi dopo 2 minuti di gioco ed un paio di tunnel tutti: “Refamo le squadre, refamo le squadre il regazzino è troppo forte!”

“Studiavo, poi sentivo gli amici e il rumore del pallone, così scendevo di corsa in cortile. A volte non mi facevano giocare e io risalivo in casa piangendo. E papà: “Ma che te piangi? Pensa a studia’, che è meglio. Mica vorrai fa’ er calciatore?”.
for those who can't speak italian and who don't understand roman dialect, i'm gonna translate it... but it's not gonna be a litteral translation. both quotes already lose something when u translate them from romanesco to proper italian, nevermind english.

"when i was a child i used to play with guys older than me and i always got picked up last, when it came to select the teams. but after playing for a couple of minutes, inevitably the older kids stopped the game and started complaining "hey we gotta remake the teams! that kid is too good!"

"when i was studying in my room i could often hear the other kids playing on the streets, at which point i used to close the books and rush downstairs to play with them. Sometimes they wouldn't let me play, so i used to go back home crying.... i remember my father telling me "why in God's name are u crying! go back to study.... surely u don't wanna become a football player, don't u?!"

on behalf of every football fan, i'm grateful he didn't listen to his father's advice.... today he can't even string 2 sentences without making some syntax errors, but with a ball between his feet, he's a poet.
having said that, u gotta appreciate totti's father. it's seems normal for a parent to encourage his son to focus on his studies, but when u think of how many crazy parents put pressure on their talented sons to become professional football players..... it's nice to see some parents still got their priorities straight!

Last edited:
dunno, totti was booked because he celebrating with his own fans:CONFUSE:
but this game real feisty, it's great. what a sweet ball from gervinho.

Did you not see what Manolas did after that? The fact that Morata got a red was absolutely ridiculous. Manolas was going after Morata and gave him a clear headbutt, while Morata didn't do anything.

First two penalties were right calls, the third wasn't. After the 2-2 Roma pussied out, so Juve deserved the win and Bonucci topped it off with a brilliant goal. I do agree that Rocchi was out of his mind, totally lost control of the match, but both teams were screwed multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom