Sensible Soccer Returns on PS2 and Xbox

well i think i gonna pick it up and if i don't like i will just return it..

gonna edit all the names also.. :)

I may give up on editing the names, there are thousands and I don't know half of them (especially the likes of e.g. the Portuguese lower league)! :|

A few more things I've noticed:

• The position names are attrocious, and I mean attrocious - SSP, SWP, HAT, TGT, I've no idea who is supposed to play where (and this is the English version!!)
  • You can't edit player numbers
  • You can't have a small letter followed by a capital letter (e.g. Uefa Cup instead of UEFA Cup)
  • It's way too hot today

The few things that are wrong are like that because it's the first version of the game, I'm presuming, so a lot of things were rushed - the player numbers thing and the no-capital-letters-mid-name thing being the prime examples, plus the formations screen being absolutely dreadful. But all in all, I love it, and I honestly think I'll be playing this more than WE (the number of competitions is AMAZING). This and World Football Climax are the two to watch in coming years, I reckon - if any game is going to overtake WE I think it'll be one of these two. We can only hope!

Last edited:
Jack Bauer said:
I'm a bit disappointed now...

You can only add a custom team. Not custom teams. So there goes my dream of adding League One. :(

It's a very good game, and the difficultly level does seem about right (it feels too easy but, as Leeds, I had to beat Sheffield Utd in extra time and Southampton beat me 1-0, so it can't really be too easy can it?). The goalies seem slightly less prone to zoom across the goal as well, although maybe that's just because I'm using lower-league teams and therefore worse goalkeepers.

No commentary, which is a bit sad - I would love it, just love it, if Jonathan Hare came back to do some proper commentary for it next year. That, online play, and the ability to add as many custom teams as you want (or at least 24), would make it sensational, in my eyes.

As it is, for the price, it's absolutely worth a go (or at least a rent). On your own, it's a bit boring (even though the amount of competitions should take you an age to complete), but in multiplayer, it's almost as much fun as PES - knowing that YOU are in control of every brilliant pass and every stupid one, is the best/worst feeling.

Right, I'm off to correct all of the thousands of team and player names now. I'll be back next year...
Lol I might have to pick this up for PC and give it a proper whirl.

DJ

I just played this on my PC and it's a lot of fun. A great way to release stress PES has caused. :mrgreen:

@Jack: I don't think this is 2006/2007. I was editing player names of Arsenal and there's still Quincy in the squad.

Btw, the key to correct player names is A = E, E = A, O = I, I = O (sometimes U).

Last edited:
Does it have similar bugs like those absurd we had in the demo? GK's teleports specially and the same bumpy camera...and it looks like the pc version is better than ps2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Bauer said:
I may give up on editing the names, there are thousands and I don't know half of them (especially the likes of e.g. the Portuguese lower league)! :|

A few more things I've noticed:

• The position names are attrocious, and I mean attrocious - SSP, SWP, HAT, TGT, I've no idea who is supposed to play where (and this is the English version!!)
  • You can't edit player numbers
  • You can't have a small letter followed by a capital letter (e.g. Tranmere's Jason McAteer has to be either Mcateer or Mc Ateer)
  • This is the first 2006/2007 season game available, I believe :)
  • It's way too hot today

The few things that are wrong are like that because it's the first version of the game, I'm presuming, so a lot of things were rushed - the player numbers thing and the no-capital-letters-mid-name thing being the prime examples, plus the formations screen being absolutely dreadful. But all in all, I love it, and I honestly think I'll be playing this more than WE (the number of competitions is AMAZING). This and World Football Climax are the two to watch in coming years, I reckon - if any game is going to overtake WE I think it'll be one of these two. We can only hope!

i never knew it had the lower leagues. so can you do the prem league for example and F.A Cup at the same time. i take it there is relegation and promotion then yeah.

Those heads are just too big! They make the original Sensi's big heads look well... rather small!

DJ

kobashi said:
i never knew it had the lower leagues. so can you do the prem league for example and F.A Cup at the same time. i take it there is relegation and promotion then yeah.
There's a Premiership and just one lower-league for each of the countries in the game (England, Scotland, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Holland and Portugal) - but then, the appearance is a choice of three or four things, and the only stats given to players are stars, so really they could have put twice as many teams in compared to the time it must take Konami to input 72 million different stats - and I like it this simplified, actually!).

However, you can only play a league season once. There's no promotion/relegation, or cups at the same time - there is no career mode, apart from with your custom team; but even then you play each league and cup individually, INCLUDING in countries your team wouldn't belong (e.g. Tranmere will be playing in the Championship, then the Premiership, then the Scottish First Division, then the Scottish Premiership, then the GERMAN First Division etc.), to make your way up a "world ranking" list of 300 teams.

total said:
@Jack: I don't think this is 2006/2007. I was editing player names of Arsenal and there's still Quincy in the squad.
Ah yeah, you're right. I thought I saw Watford in the Premiership... DJ, when are you going to give me my glasses back?

Edit: A few other things - there's some cup competitions that aren't real-life competitions which they've added to add to longevity of the custom-team career mode (lots of cups and league cups in countries that only have the one cup), you can't edit kits (apart from your custom team's), you can't control the opposition team (big disappointment as that's what I do with mates in WE - we each pick a team and, say I pick England and they get drawn against Brazil, they would all control Brazil and I would control England - you can't do that in this game, unless you've selected them as a human team)...

...The goalkeeper's telepathicness has been toned down SLIGHTLY I think, but not a lot, the camera is the same (although I honestly don't understand people's problem with it - I must be missing something because lots of people are complaining of feeling dizzy after playing it!), and even with all that, for a game created totally from scratch, it's very good. Multiplayer mode especially (which I personally would rather play than PES, although maybe it will wear off). If they make a next-in-series, it should be absolutely excellent.

Last edited:
Jack Bauer aka Blind Man said:
Ah yeah, you're right. I thought I saw Watford in the Premiership... DJ, when are you going to give me my glasses back?

I think you need them real soon from the sounds of it! lol

DJ

Here you go Jack Bauer... a specially made pair
rednoseglass.JPG

DJ

Corrected everything now, apart from players outside of England and the team names in the lower-leagues of Spain, France, Holland and Portugal (what a bitch finding out what the lower-league teams are, they just give a city name and so many cities have more than one team in).

That key makes changing the player's names nice and easy (take note Konami) :)

Just uploaded an option file for Sensi Soccer 2006 on the PS2, if anyone's interested.

Click here

An X-PORT file for use with Sensible Soccer 2006 (PS2) that adds correct names for the following:

+ ALL competition names from ALL countries
+ ALL team names from ALL countries
+ English Premiership and lower-league player names (plus England national team)
+ Tranmere Rovers added as custom team (you MUST BACKUP your Sensible Soccer 2006 save if you want to keep your custom team!!)

To install, you must use an X-PORT to copy the file onto your PS2 memory card. You can use the following utility to add the file onto a CD if you have a modded PS2: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cd2mem

All work by Chris Davies (known as Jack Bauer on Evo-Web forums, http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums) - email champ.manager@gmail.com

You may edit this and distribute the file, but you must give me credit for giving you the base file. I will probably not be working on any further corrections, unless someone is willing to split the work up into pieces with me (which I doubt anyone will volunteer to do!)

Many thanks for the file JB mate.

But I get a "Page not found (404)" message when I click on 'Download Now'.
Mirror please? (preferably megaupload or yousendit)

BTW, I'll help out with editing if you want.

Edit: Found this on pesfan. Looks like someone else is busy editing too.

dragonskin said:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5654646F2E89CBE5
ps2 .xps file
Majority of player names corrected, just need some vowel corrections to put u in

Been looking at other data files, should be able to patch it like pes.

Last edited:
Haha, I knew I wouldn't be the first. Oh well!

I thought I'd try having a go editing the files on the PC with a hex-editor, and it seems to be protected somehow, I can't figure it out. I'd do the lot on a PC if I could, so much easier, but I can't get it to function! All I've done is hex-edit "Arsenal" to "Brsenal" and the game won't accept the data, "load failed". How the hell? There's definitely only the one instance of "Arsenal" across all the files.

Total - what file format are the PC save files (in My Documents\Sensible Soccer 2006 I'm presuming)? Is there a file called DataEdit.dat? If so, you should be able to convert from PS2 to PC without too much of a hassle. If not, eek.

DataEdit0.dat in the folder. yes.

Btw, is there a way to manually change players? PES is L1, Sensi is?

In that case, the DataEdit.dat from the X-PORT file (you can extract it using PS2SaveBuilder) could replace the DataEdit0.dat for the PC version. There may be some subtle differences but if somebody sends me the PC file I can try and locate the differences.

This hex-editing is getting me down now, I've done a straight file compare between a file with Arsenal in and a file with Brsenal in (made with the Sensi in-game editor) and it says there are a massive amount of differences between the files - which means it looks a bit impossible to edit manually on PC. :|

I'll have to invest in the PC version and then convert the file to PS2, methinks.

You can't change player manually by the way, Total. At least, I don't think you can - sometimes they do when I press pass, but I think that's just coincidence. :)

Edit: Changing Brsenal to Brsenam results in 3 groups of hex changes... Bear in mind it's one character, a SINGLE character, and it changes the last 1000 bytes of the hex to something totally different to what it was before. I am completely and utterly stumped. I give up for now, I'm in WAY over my head.

Edit 2: If you edit Aston to Astin on the PC version and the PS2 version, and then compare the DataEdit files, the first 8 bytes and the last 1000 bytes (2000 bytes for the PC version) are totally, totally different. Some kind of key I'm presuming, God knows how they do it. Doesn't look like it will be possible to just convert from one to the other, even if the data in-between is exactly the same.

Edit 3: Saying that, the guy on the PESfan forum's managed to do it! :| I've asked for his advice on a few things and then I'll be able to completely update mine on both formats, including a few little extras hopefully (such as names like the Uefa Cup turning into the UEFA Cup). Stay tuned... Off to get some sleep.

Last edited:
anyone doing a Xbox update?

im not minding this game.... its not trying to be anything its not... doesnt take itself at all seriously and will be a blast after having a few beers during the world cup (teaching my mates how to play PES while drunk is like teaching them brain surgery)

the keepers are a tad daft though.... hitting backpasses to em usually ends up in a own goal...... and the teleportation things is just slack programming....

Please,

Somebody can tell me if this game have a pal/ntsc selector ingame?
Cheers from Brazil. :P

I tried the ps2 version and pardon me but it's CRAP! The pc version seems to be a little better although nothing special...I know it's a different genre but WE10 is simply unbeatable and it doesn't make much sense to waste your time playing this. Try New Star Soccer instead if you want the good old SS nostalgia back and you'll get a lot of new unique and great features you can't find in any other game...awsome carrer mode.

Just finished a complete PC translation patch - missed the first half of England v Paraguay for it, you'd better bloody appreciate it. ;)

Download here (mirrors coming soon)

Sensible Soccer 2006
Corrected Names Patch for PC (99% complete)
by CHRIS DAVIES - champ.manager@gmail.com
---

This is a name-correction patch for Sensible Soccer 2006 (PC). This patch corrects the following:

+ ALL competition names from ALL countries
+ ALL team names from ALL countries
+ ALL player names from ALL teams (some names will be incorrect as I don't know every player's name - you can fix these yourself using the in-game editor)
+ Tranmere Rovers added as custom team

Known bugs: International competition names not changed, E Armadora (Portuguese top division) should be E Amadora, Marco de Can. (Portuguese bottom division) should be Marco

PLEASE NOTE - this patch will DELETE your saved games and custom teams, PLEASE BACKUP YOUR "SENSIBLE SOCCER 2006" DIRECTORY FIRST!!

To install, you must be using WinZip 9.0 or above. Extract the DAT files in the zip to your "My Documents" folder, making sure the "Use Folder Names" box is TICKED. Then, open the "Part 2" file inside this zip and extract the "NamesNW.bin" file to your Sensible Soccer 2006 install directory (usually C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Sensible Soccer 2006), again making sure the "Use Folder Names" box is TICKED.

All work by Chris Davies (known as Jack Bauer on Evo-Web forums, http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums) - you may edit this and distribute the file, but you must give me credit for giving you the base file. I will probably not be working on any further corrections.

Thanks to Dragonskin of PESfan forums (http://www.pesfan.com/forums) for his advice!

(PS2 version coming soon)

Last edited:
I have one question. I have this game for PS2,is this compatible for HARD DISK?
Sorry for my english...help me!

PS2 names correction patch now available, including fixes not applied to the PC version (see above post for the "known bugs" so that you can correct them manually). That's my lot for now, I've missed enough of the world cup. :)

Working hard I see Chris, er, JB.:D Well done and congrats - now crack open the beers thanks to Trinidad and Tobago!

Back
Top Bottom